Long load times? This may help! - Morphs Manager

3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
edited July 2021 in Freebies

On my freebie page linked in my sig, I made a small utility to turn off morphs, by adding a .NOLOAD extension to the morph files.  You choose the figure morph directory,, and it lists all the subdirectories.  You then deselect folders that you do not want to load.  When you press update, all files within those de-selected directories will get a .NOLOAD extension added.

If you want to add them back, just check them, and they will get the .NOLOAD removed.

- (NOTE:  The below post on its usage from Catherine3678ab is incorrect, another explanation and use case is given further below, if it is not clear)

When you open it again to that directory, it will identify the folders as either being checked or unchecked by the presence of the NOLOAD file extensions.

Basically simplifying a tedious method to turn on and off morphs.  There are a lot of figures I just never use...but dont want to worry about uninstall/reinstall...

It does accept a command-line argument of the Figure Morph folder, so you can make a shortcut to it to open right into the G8F Morphs folder, for example.  Then shortcuts to other figures, etc.

There are much better solutions Daz or other probably could provide, but maybe this will help someone?  It does what it does, I probably won’t expand too much on it, as it works for me.  It decreased my load of one of my scenes from 6 minutes to 1 minute 10 seconds, by not loading a bunch of figure morphs I rarely use.

EDIT - Updated picture

EDIT - I dont see the picture anymore, so I added it in the post...delete image function appears to be broke.

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,009
    edited July 2021

Installed! Shortcut to Desktop! Will try it out next time D/S is open :-) Thank you :-)

update: So glad I read those instructions first! I thought the selection process would have worked the other way 'round ;-)

Also: um, once we have unchecked a folder the files will be renamed with .noload extension.
    BUT next time 'round then, all folders that were unchecked will be excluded from the list ERGO there would be no way to check them to have that extension removed. hmm ... no thanks.

2nd update: isn't the English language wonderful. So now, all folders that were unchecked ARE included on the list, that's why it was said they would be excluded from the list, I dunno ... anyhow ... as long as the entire list of morphs reappears so one can check or uncheck all those morphs and then hit the update button, all should be well.

Maybe there's a way to select a mass of them at once, I have a lot of morphs ... decided to simply rename the folder and move into a new morph folder the ones I want to use. Because yes, loading times decrease dramatically if one is not trying to load in a figure with many Gs of morphs!

instructions.png
    544 x 638 - 21K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • UnseenUnseen Posts: 605

Very useful. Thank you so much...

• jedijuddjedijudd Posts: 606

Thank you very much

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

This looks great. Thanks. 

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

Cool - thanks very much, this looks very useful!

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,027

Does this work on a mac?

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

I would not think so, its just a Windows Executable created using Visual Studio...tbh I have no idea???

Catherine3678ab said:

Installed! Shortcut to Desktop! Will try it out next time D/S is open :-) Thank you :-)

update: So glad I read those instructions first! I thought the selection process would have worked the other way 'round ;-)

Also: um, once we have unchecked a folder the files will be renamed with .noload extension.
    BUT next time 'round then, all folders that were unchecked will be excluded from the list ERGO there would be no way to check them to have that extension removed. hmm ... no thanks.

So...this above is incorrect.

• If it has a check = you want the morph (i.e. it will remove .noload if it exists)
    • If it is unchecked = you dont want the moprh (i.e. it will add .noload if it does not exist)

Example story of a person using this:

Today I ran the script for the first time, and everything is checked.  I unchecked two folders, and pressed update.  Files in those folders got a .noload extension, and are no longer loading with DS!  Yay!

...24 hours later... (spongebob voiceover assumed)

OMG, I changed my mind!   I started it up, and everything is checked but those two folders, as expected.  I re-added a check to one of the folders and pressed update.  Hallelujah!  The .noload is gone from the files in that folder and only the other unchecked folder is now excluded!  Sweet! 

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,009

3dOutlaw said:

Catherine3678ab said:

So...this above is incorrect.

• If it has a check = you want the morph (i.e. it will remove .noload if it exists)
    • If it is unchecked = you dont want the moprh (i.e. it will add .noload if it does not exist)

Example story of a person using this:

Today I ran the script for the first time, and everything is checked.  I unchecked two folders, and pressed update.  Files in those folders got a .noload extension, and are no longer loading with DS!  Yay!

...24 hours later... (spongebob voiceover assumed)

OMG, I changed my mind!   I started it up, and everything is checked but those two folders, as expected.  I re-added a check to one of the folders and pressed update.  Hallelujah!  The .noload is gone from the files in that folder and only the other unchecked folder is now excluded!  Sweet! 

Very happy to hear that. Because the way it was written it could be read the way I did. We would want "all" the morphs showing, checked or not, in the list.

• ZebratechZebratech Posts: 24

I cannot thank you enough for this. The fact that it is non-destructive makes it perfect. This should likely be a commercial product since AFAIK, it fills an empty niche. It really is a helpful thing to not have to go in and rename all the individual files.

Thank you so much!

Zebratech said:

I cannot thank you enough for this. The fact that it is non-destructive makes it perfect. This should likely be a commercial product since AFAIK, it fills an empty niche. It really is a helpful thing to not have to go in and rename all the individual files.

Thank you so much!

Glad I could help!  smiley

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

I can second/third/etc the enthusiasm for the script - it helps a lot!

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,037
    edited July 2021
    Just a query. Roughly how long is it expected to take? I have a G8F loading time of approx 2 mins, and after that long I was getting a bit nervy and aborted the program. No harm done, but would like an estimate if possible - maybe as a proportion of the normal G8F load time. Is it 200% or closer to 20%? As a general comment to encourage others, wherever possible I like to include source code on my freebies, so other programmers can verify that they do no damage. [I use Embarcadero's C++ Builder, and it looks as if your program may be VB, so couldn't rip your code anyway!]
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

thanks!  this looks so much more efficient and pleasant that wrangling the data folder by hand. 

:)

j

edited July 2021

richardandtracy said:

Just a query. Roughly how long is it expected to take? I have a G8F loading time of approx 2 mins, and after that long I was getting a bit nervy and aborted the program. No harm done, but would like an estimate if possible - maybe as a proportion of the normal G8F load time. Is it 200% or closer to 20%? 

Hi, the amount of times it saves depends on the amount of morph folders (thus files) you uncheck, and choose not to load.  

As far as sharing the code...it is 95% Windows Forms interface, 3% overhead and 2% actual code.  You can probably do what it does with your own batch file.  Here is the secret sauce, so you can give it a go!  laugh  You can do this manually as well.  I literally just automated a suggestion from one of the other threads, because I was not going to manually rename, zip or move files...because I am lazy, lol!  

For each folder listed:

• If (Folder is Un-checked) then:
      • Loop through files and add .noload extension to file
    • else: //Folder is checked
      • Loop through files and remove .noload extension, if it exists

(there is a little more to it than that, but that is basically it...)

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

FWIW, the Dimension-3D GenX2 tool has a form of this function built-into the plugin's  third tab, but ...

This tool is exactly what is needed to do exactly what is wanted ... and the price is certainly right. Maybe folks can go find and buy a 3DOutlaw product or two at Rendo in support.

Thank you 3D outlaw!

--ms

• Neat program. Even though I wrote a program to do the same thing with more automation, I would still use this for files not installed through DIM. Might borrow your idea if I ever get time to add new features to my program.

Can I make a couple of feature requests to make the program easier to use:

1. a bulk select/unselect button to mass select things.

2. ability to save/load selection to file so it is easier to switch between scenes.

If possible, to automatically select morphs from a scene file would make this even quicker to use.

edited July 2021
    Cool! Is your program a freebie as well? If so, drop a link, would love to try it!
  • thenoobduckythenoobducky Posts: 68
    edited July 2021

3dOutlaw said:

Cool! Is your program a freebie as well? If so, drop a link, would love to try it!

Git is here. It works for stuff installed via DIM/Central. 

Edit: Would love to hear any feedback or issues.

Post edited by thenoobducky on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

thanks, you have a whole slew of great freebies

thenoobducky said:

3dOutlaw said:

Git is here. It works for stuff installed via DIM/Central. 

Edit: Would love to hear any feedback or issues.

Thanks for the link!  Wow, looks very advanced! yes  Unfortunately, I don't use DIM/Central so I can control my Content structure layout, but it looks like a really cool way of addressing the problem.  Well done!

nonesuch00 said:

thanks, you have a whole slew of great freebies

No problem, btw I just updated the Wet Maps freebie, if you downloaded it.  

• RodrijRodrij Posts: 154

Here is an idea for a morph disabler thatI I'd pay for.

Instead of manually checking which morph folders to disable, have the ability to take a duf. file scene that was already created. The program would then look at all associated morphs that were used (ie non 0/default value) for that scene. Then it would automatically disable all morphs that were not used. 

The current method I use to disable morphs I don't need  is to use content gatherer to extract all used morphs in a scene, put it in it's own directory and use the content manager directory to enable only that morph directory. All other morphs are in their own directory seperate from other content.

• thenoobduckythenoobducky Posts: 68
    edited July 2021

Rodrij said:

Instead of manually checking which morph folders to disable, have the ability to take a duf. file scene that was already created. The program would then look at all associated morphs that were used (ie non 0/default value) for that scene. Then it would automatically disable all morphs that were not used. 

This is the exact use case I made my program for. Except it is on a per-product basis, on the theory that you might want to use other content from the same product (eg corrective morph for a piece of clothing). The basic process takes less than 10 clicks. It also lets you select additional products you want to include. 

Good news I have got it working with non-DIM installed contents but it is less powerful because there is no metadata to use. Still need to polish it up a bit and make a release.

I am sure 3dOutlaw can add that functionality as well given enough motivation.

Post edited by thenoobducky on

Nope  :)

• I did say given enough motivation, obviously there is not enough motivation at the moment. ;)
  • Thank you very much for this tool.
    However, I would appreciate a function to uncheck/check all (or/and something akin to holding the Control Key down while selecting).
    For example, I have to manually uncheck several hundred morphs alone for the Genesis 8 females from the DAZ store (I have the ones from the other stores in their own content folders), and that takes A.G.E.S.
    And I think if you can export a list of the morphs with information if they have the Noload tag or not would be nice too.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,269

I think there is plenty of interest, just a lot of people don't say so. It's kinda like other freebies, tons of downloads, very few if any thank you's. It's kinda disheartening.

AbyssalEros said:

Thank you very much for this tool.

You are welcome!  :)

However, I would appreciate a function to uncheck/check all (or/and something akin to holding the Control Key down while selecting).
    For example, I have to manually uncheck several hundred morphs alone for the Genesis 8 females from the DAZ store (I have the ones from the other stores in their own content folders), and that takes A.G.E.S.

So, you don't check/uncheck morphs with this.  You check/uncheck folders of morphs. If you've got several hundreds of morph folders....yep, that is a lot, and this may not be the best tool for you.  For me it just gives me a quick way to "turn off" things that I rarely use, so more of a one-time or rare set and forget. There are a couple of other folks here that have some freebies with more advanced options.

And I think if you can export a list of the morphs with information if they have the Noload tag or not would be nice too.

I probably won't be making any more updates to this, unless there is a bug.  Sorry!

• 3dOutlaw said:

So, you don't check/uncheck morphs with this.  You check/uncheck folders of morphs. If you've got several hundreds of morph folders....yep, that is a lot, and this may not be the best tool for you.  For me it just gives me a quick way to "turn off" things that I rarely use, so more of a one-time or rare set and forget. There are a couple of other folks here that have some freebies with more advanced options.

No, I uncheck the morphs. I have 157 separate folders within \data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female\Morphs\ alone. Inside many of them, as some are Vanity folders, are more than one morph.
    As your impressive tool does not count, I cannot tell you how many there are, but I think it is around 400.

I appreciate your tool and effort; I just wanted to point out something that would make it even more impressive and useful for asset hoarders like me. ;)

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,587
    edited August 2021

This should have been built into Daz Studio. I remember when you could turn this stuff off when loading figures.

Thank you very much this is very usefull

Post edited by Silver Dolphin on