Carrara Challenge #58 - It's a Kind of Magic - WIP thread.

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,751

Stezza said:

now I'm in semi lock down.. my mind is in clusterf@#k mode devil cool

which I guess is no different to any other time

Magic in the City

Modelled the dog, rabbit, hat, wand truck, toilet paper, cow and game board & tokens also used Stonemason's city and 3Du toons V1

Excellent Stezza - love the loo paper in Chance !!!

ed3D said:

~  And

Wacky submarine, looking good !!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

ed3D said:

~  And

wonderfully intriguing - looking forward to the end result!

"Elijah and The Dance of Death"

Nothing serious. Not an entry. Just the Magic of The Imagination - in this case Elijah's. Poor kid.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited June 2021

Carmen summons the Caduceus to save her beloved Harry

The Caduceus is the magical staff of Hermes, the messenger of Olympian Gods.  It is an ancient symbol for healing, characterized by twin snakes and angel wings. 

The render style is supposed to be a pulp magazine cover.

Carmen - Victoria 3, using the Firedancer outfit.

Harry - David 3

The other main props are the Giant Fantasy Snake, and Epic Wings for Genesis (no longer in the Daz store)

Carrara process include lens flare, aura, blur, and text.  As usual, GMIC was used for color adjustments (and general noise).

No postwork.

Carmen and the Caduceus 1.png
    2000 x 1333 - 4M
    Carmen Carrara setup.JPG
    1434 x 906 - 267K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited June 2021

Stezza said:

Very sharp render.  How did you make the Monopoly board?

edited June 2021

Headwax said:

Nothing serious. Not an entry.

I wish my "not serious" renders looked as great. smiley

Not sure about the violin texture.  Given the fantasy realism of the render, I would have expected a more traditional varnished surface.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,811

UnifiedBrain said:

Stezza said:

Very sharp render.  How did you make the Monopoly board?

thanks UB

the monopoly board is a template PSD file ( found on the internets ) and I changed a couple of names as seen then saved the image as a PNG file  and applied it to plane  smiley

UnifiedBrain said:

The Caduceus is the magical staff of Hermes, the messenger of Olympian Gods.  It is an ancient symbol for healing, characterized by twin snakes and angel wings. 

Harry - David 3

The other main props are the Giant Fantasy Snake, and Epic Wings for Genesis (no longer in the Daz store)

Carrara process include lens flare, aura, blur, and text.  As usual, GMIC was used for color adjustments (and general noise).

No postwork.

gah wow!! that's a masterwork! Bit saucyy be careful !!!  Lovely texture and glow on the woman's skin - and a lively looking Spanish Fly glow in the nether regions. Any lessons on the GMIC ? How did it effect the render??

UnifiedBrain said:

Headwax said:

Nothing serious. Not an entry.

I wish my "not serious" renders looked as great. smiley

Not sure about the violin texture.  Given the fantasy realism of the render, I would have expected a more traditional varnished surface.

thanks very much! Now that you mention I realise there is some serouis bump on that violin amongst other tings. Thanks for pointing it out teach me to be lazy and using a premade shader!

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,989
    edited June 2021

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

~  And

Wacky submarine, looking good !!!

Headwax said:

ed3D said:

~  And

wonderfully intriguing - looking forward to the end result!

~  Thanks Very Much  ~

Post edited by ed3D on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited July 2021

Felt the need to do one of my toony renders.  Carrara native Toon Pro!, no postwork.

Figures modeled and rigged for previous challenges, but in new outfits.

toon Dancers Render 3.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 147K
    dancers toon 03.jpg
    1901 x 995 - 293K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Inspired by Danny Kaye and Vera Ellen

Diomede said:

Felt the need to do one on my toony renders.  Carrara native Toon Pro!, no postwork.

love the look on the guy's eyes - almsot as much as Danny Kaye's !! what a talent

I was ruminating today (not like a cow) and thinking about amping up the scene ambient and I wondered if I could negate it parts with a negative bulb artfully placed  - probably not but worth a try when I get a chance - could give interesting flat lighting

Headwax said:

Nothing serious. Not an entry. Just the Magic of The Imagination - in this case Elijah's. Poor kid.

Very nice render, Elijah has got some imagination !!!

UnifiedBrain said:

Harry - David 3

No postwork.

Another great render by you UB !!!

Diomede said:

Felt the need to do one on my toony renders.  Carrara native Toon Pro!, no postwork.

Go the Toons, love the composition of this render !!!

edited June 2021

Thanks for the comments, Andrew and Bunyip.

For the toon render, I did raise the ambient quite a bit to help with the toon look.  Now I see what must be a shadow of one of the hearts on the man's face.  May have to update the render.  I like the idea of combining high ambient with a negative bulb.  May do some experimenting.  Because I have been so unsettled, I have been bouncing back and forth between my laptop and my desktop - which is why I have several unfinished projects.  August, I just have to make it to August, then things should get more stable, I hope.

Stezza - the monopoly board is more genius!  I always love the little touches, like the cow peeking out from the back of the vehicle and the board space for Carrara Lane..

UnifiedBrain - Fantastic ceremonial render.  Interesting that it is homage to Greek Hermes because my first thought was Aztec or Mayan.  That shows you how little I know.  Either way, very powerful image.  

thank you Bunyip02, yes poor Elijah is heading for the shrinks!!

edited July 2021

“The Ghosts of the Orphan Boys Dance Around the Magic Tree.”

"Every year, at midnight on the Winter Solstice, the ghosts of the orphan boys would rise from their graves and dance, hand in hand, around the Magic Tree."

I did this work yesterday. This morning I read about Canada's historical attempt to eradicate their First Nation's culture by putting Indigenous children forcibly in homes - and the hundreds of unmarked graves of Indigenous children associated with these homes they have recently discovered.

Of course we were equally bad here in Oz I am led to believe.

The trees in this is about five trees joined at the hips. I attempted to make moss on the trees after seeing a picture of The Fairy Bridge somewhereon t he net.

Ironically the moss was patchy because of lack of Uv mapping on the trunk primitif but I discovered accidentally if you hid the trunk then all the hairs formed another trunk.

The leaves ar stock standard leaves that I textured an alpha map pattern so they look a little translucent.

The moon and sky are carrara moon and sky.

The fog is Carrara fog.

The grass is carrara hair.

Image is 4000 pixels wide.

Here is the hair pseudo moss/ algae on the tree with the entire plant hidden - you could just put an alpha value in the trunk and branches shader and keep the leaves visible

Untitled-2.jpg
    1879 x 1179 - 2M
    Untitled-3.jpg
    2000 x 1221 - 1M
    Post edited by Headwax on

Haunting scene, great idea for the tree !!!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

heartmajorly magical renders

edited July 2021

Headwax - wow, this latest is a hauntingly magical render.  

Here is another update to the scene with the landscape.  It may be the last update, although there are plenty of things I'd like to add - such as a small elfen footbridge and some stones for the staircase.  But this is the current state of affairs. I've put a bulb light by the ring on her finger.  I set a glow effect and a lens flare effect for that bulb light.  I also put some low strength blue lights in the 'birdbath.'

Galadriel and Nenya

galadriel scene bulb light effects for nenya.jpg
    1888 x 1045 - 595K
    Galadriel and Nenya 01.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 256K
    edited July 2021

Some adjustments to lower the intensity and scale of the light glow and lens flare effects of the bulb light by her hand.  Also adjusted the rim light for the figure.

Galadriel and Nenya 03 jpg.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 337K
    Galadriel Entry Update.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 423K

thanks Bunyip02 Misty and Diomede :) Can't wait to work on the idea of the tree hair - could be a spot for anything grows ... hmm cant remember the plugin I think that is it

Diomede said:

Some adjustments to lower the intensity and scale of the light glow and lens flare effects of the bulb light by her hand.  Also adjusted the rim light for the figure.

Diomede, that is one hell of a great image. Has all the hallmarks of a classic work from the 1930's . 

PS  I tried the neg light to negate the scene ambience and it worked a charm. Now got to figure out what it is good for!

Diomede said:

Superb !!!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,229

Argh! But... still a week and a day to go... maybe? blush

• the wiz tries to get the goblin see what he needs.

goblinn1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited July 2021

Dartanbeck said:

Argh! But... still a week and a day to go... maybe? blush

Timeing is flexible . Love to have you enter.

Post edited by Headwax on