Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:

I've been following the Luxus threads and the Octane thread, and I wanted to see what I could do. I've never really been into hyper-realism just for realism's sake.

Yet I've always considered you to have great mastery over realism. When I first was considering getting Carrara, I was heavily influenced by your excellent clip Cirrus City, which I thought was rendered very realistically (well, ok, for a city in the clouds :) and just blew me away with what Carrara can do ) and you have great realism in your renders; the fact that you often take a non-GI approach just validates that in the right hands and with the right skill level, good realism can be achieved in many different approaches, or said another way realism in rendering is not ever simply a matter of settings in the renderer :)

Thanks Jon. I've always been impressed with your skills as well. Your thread about getting blurry reflections was really informative. I know I never would have had the patience to figure it out.

BTW, I'm really glad you started posting here again. I was terribly afraid that you migrated towards another 3D package. That would have been a sore blow to the Carrara community.

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

25 min render, 3000x resolution

Very nice work with that one. Does this one use you AO lighting rig as well?

Thank you EP, and Jonstark as well, actually like all the images in my dz gallery I'm using -and tuning up- on and on my AO rig (you can find it somewhere on YUR store :cheese: :) ) but I'm going to create a rig without GI to speed up renders more and more with comparable realistic results

• arcadyarcady Posts: 340
    edited December 1969

Ya'll're making me want to finish watching these PhillW vids I got the other day so's I can catch up to this level of render quality.

That is a nice one.

edited August 2014

arcady said:

Ya'll're making me want to finish watching these PhillW vids I got the other day so's I can catch up to this level of render quality.

That is a nice one.

Thank you Arcady, I guess it's worthy reading I hope there be inside hints on setting shaders too

EDIT: ...worthy watching..

Post edited by magaremoto on
  • kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

Very nice! I think it's cool how you use Carrara to help with your expedition Blu-Rays! Awesome!

Thanks Dart.

The “Moon” image had a big assist from you, as I used your Starry Sky product (which I use over and over again – it is a really great kit).

• skybluerobskybluerob Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

For the WIP thread. Pretty much beginning with Carrara, but these two renders I guess show the different between using a bit of blur and motion blur as opposed to not. When you don't, I find it looks less realistic.

For some reason, the model I used had all its landing gear on, so will redo with it off, as can't seem to get rid of it without replacing the model. It's part of an animation so a bit of a pain but never mind :-).

Large_Ship_6.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 505K
    Large_Ship_2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 411K
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited August 2014

BTW, I'm really glad you started posting here again. I was terribly afraid that you migrated towards another 3D package. That would have been a sore blow to the Carrara community.

Thank you for the kind words! But leave Carrara? Oh no, not ever! :) Nah, I'm a Carrarist for life! It's just that for a long time there the Daz forums wouldn't let me post, or that it was way too difficult, so I was thrown into lurker mode.

I've tried other softwares, started on Poser and really found it non-intuitive, tried Studio and absolutely hated it (allergic to it's interface), and neither of them can do even a tiny fraction of what Carrara can do.

Never tried Vue, but I look at that pricetag and think 'why, when I have Carrara?' And I think Howie Farkes and Patrick Tuten and several other luminaries that post here on the forums have already proven that Carrara can do what Vue can do (with a bit of elbow grease and some mastery over the environment tools) and with DimensionTheory's cloud nine stuff I don't have to worry about not having good skies.

I've got Bryce, but never really even run it. I picked it up because the price was so cheap and I thought 'who knows, maybe someday I'll need it'. But as time goes by I really don't think I ever will need it, not when I have Carrara

I once downloaded a demo of Modo, don't ask me why since it's really out of my price range, but after 3 hours of not even being able to figure out how to load an object or render anything I quickly decided this was not the package for me.

I have done some experimenting with using external renderers for Carrara, purchased Thearender and picked up Luxus for Carrara in a sale, and I'll probably pick up the Octane plugin within the next couple of weeks, but I don't count those as other software packages, since I can only use them for rendering, and always do all the rest of the work and scene creation straight within Carrara.

I've never even bothered to try C4D, 3DS, Lightwave, Maya, Houdini etc etc etc, since they are all waaaay too expensive, don't work with DAZ figures natively, and who really needs any of them when Carrara does practically everything?

And above all that, I find Carrara a breeze to use - seriously I love the interface, and I know where to find stuff and how to use it. I even prefer the modeler to others I've seen (I have Hex, which crashes too much and Carrara never seems to crash for me, and I've seen videos of people modeling with Wings, Blender and Lightwave, and I still prefer Carrara).

So while I don't hold much trust that Daz will treat my baby right and give her the polished development she needs to make her all sparkly and pretty, Carrara is still my baby, the one digital rendering package that stands above all others for me in ease of use and completeness of things it can do, and do well. And the really crazy thing is, even if Daz never did any further development and suddenly declared Carrara dead, it wouldn't matter; I would still stick with Carrara because it really already does nearly everything already!

But I am glad that the forums have (lately) been more cooperative and allowed me to post more often, effectively un-muzzling me :) It let's me hang out with my fellow carrara enthusiasts, and learn even more about my favorite software, since the first day I bought Carrara these forums have been probably the greatest asset/tool in using/learning Carrara, so joining in and even sometimes giving back a little is a privilege. :)

Post edited by Jonstark on
    edited December 1969

I couldn't have said it better myself, Jon.

DAZ management, are you listening?

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

I agree with both you guys.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,209
    edited December 1969

I agree with both you guys.

Me too.
    Yo Jon,
    incredibly similar feelings we share about Carrara! Very much identical, it would seem. Rock on! It's so good to actually 'hear' the words from the mouth of another... thanks for that... most refreshing, indeed!

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

My favourite "monster".....

DexBodies.jpg
    1125 x 1500 - 471K
    edited December 1969

Close Up.

DexCloseUp.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 428K
    edited September 2014

MonkeyZuma!

MonkeyZumaCloseUp.png
    975 x 1300 - 2M
    MonkeyZuma.jpg
    936 x 1234 - 409K
    Post edited by stu sutcliffe on
    edited December 1969

Holy cow is that Dexter? Outstanding Stu! You really are a genius. (also I never realized that Dexter looks a bit like a twisted Tyrion)

edited December 1969

Is indeed Dex ! Well spotted.

edited September 2014

Jonstark said:

Holy cow is that Dexter? Outstanding Stu! You really are a genius. (also I never realized that Dexter looks a bit like a twisted Tyrion)

Ha! I was just thinking the Tyrion thing as well! I'm not sure the TOS would survive if we started posting Game of Thrones renders. :red:

Great job Stu. That Dexter looks diabolical!

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Hi Jonstark,

I enjoyed reading your account of how you prefer Carrara over other software.

I've been splitting my (generally late-night) 3d sessions between various softwares but have recently become very frustrated with them all because I've begun buying content such as environments and my PC just isn't powerful enough.

Tonight, however, I went back to a third generation figure and a newly-bought environment and I'm delighted that Carrara handled everything perfectly.

(I can only suppose that Genesis has been the problem for Carrara but I know other threads deal with that question so I just mention it in passing).

Anyway, since this is a render thread, I'll show what I've been doing, even though there's a lot wrong with it.

Doc45.jpg
    640 x 480 - 302K
    Doc42.jpg
    640 x 480 - 294K
    Doc39.jpg
    640 x 480 - 245K
    Doc30.jpg
    640 x 480 - 221K
    Doc20.jpg
    640 x 480 - 257K
    edited December 1969

Hi Jonstark,

I enjoyed reading your account of how you prefer Carrara over other software.

I've been splitting my (generally late-night) 3d sessions between various softwares but have recently become very frustrated with them all because I've begun buying content such as environments and my PC just isn't powerful enough.

Tonight, however, I went back to a third generation figure and a newly-bought environment and I'm delighted that Carrara handled everything perfectly.

(I can only suppose that Genesis has been the problem for Carrara but I know other threads deal with that question so I just mention it in passing).

Anyway, since this is a render thread, I'll show what I've been doing, even though there's a lot wrong with it.

Currently, except for experiments, I render pretty much using only V4/M4, which Carrara handles just fine, nothing wrong with using a prior generation. And really if you hadn't said that she was a generation 3, I would never have known. While I'm fortunate that I now have an i7 laptop with 8 hyperthreads and plenty of RAM, so that I can render big old scenes, not too very long ago I had a single core 32 bit laptop and was usually surprised by how large a scene it could handle, complete with lots of V3s, M3s, V4s and M4s. Don't know why, but Carrara seems to handle larger scenes which gobble up memory much better than really any other software I've tested - good times :)

And what's wrong with those renders? I think they look pretty good, nice mood lighting, the scene has a mysterious, visually interesting and cool vibe. Sure, you could do a bit of texture tweaking, but it looks pretty good already :) Gotta love Carrara!

• LordGhoulLordGhoul Posts: 43
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post a W.I.P., so pardon me if I've got it wrong!

Since I wasn't feeling creative, I borrowed a theme from the Master, Frank Frazzetta.
    I picked a lesser known painting and thought I'd try to recreate it.

I've included the original and my first steps at the recreation.
    I believe that my post does not break the nudity rules (but its close).

I'm having trouble with the dynamic hair.
    The lighting is going to be tricky too.
    I'm wondering how much of the background should make it to the final render, if any.

All comments/ advice is most welcome.

Doc14.png
    1200 x 974 - 2M
    frank_frazetta_004.jpg
    1200 x 974 - 485K
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

Lordghoul said:
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post a W.I.P., so pardon me if I've got it wrong!

Since I wasn't feeling creative, I borrowed a theme from the Master, Frank Frazzetta.
    I picked a lesser known painting and thought I'd try to recreate it.

I've included the original and my first steps at the recreation.
    I believe that my post does not break the nudity rules (but its close).

I'm having trouble with the dynamic hair.
    The lighting is going to be tricky too.
    I'm wondering how much of the background should make it to the final render, if any.

All comments/ advice is most welcome.

Looks great so far Lordghoul! If you want to enter this in the September Challenge, you'll need to place your posts in the Challenge WIP thread here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45561/ (be sure to show at least one materials/shader that you created or modified, and your light setup if you enter the challenge).

Frazzetta is one of my favorites!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Is indeed Dex ! Well spotted.

both are cool
    have not watch Dex for years but guess it was him right away
    great work as usual

edited December 1969

Kang...Or Kodos, is there a difference?

KangStudio.jpg
    785 x 1087 - 146K
    Kang.jpg
    860 x 1091 - 344K
    edited December 1969

Kang...Or Kodos, is there a difference?

what do we win if we are right :-)

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your reply, Jonstark and for the generous remarks on my renders.

Years ago I went from being a total non-player of games to being a great fan of the early Tomb Raider. I only bought it in a sale when I moved up to Windows 98 and became hooked. That was the beginning of my 3d interest (long before I actually started doing anything!)

The renders posted were an attempt to evoke the mood of those games but nothing in the scene was my own original work - I only found camera viewpoints and added a bulb and spotlight.

What I referred to as being wrong was the textures needing adjustment and the lack of any real pose or action taking place. So I'll see if I can improve things.

To everyone:

I need to add that the whole thread is full of extremely impressive renders. When I post something of my own I'm conscious that I've seen so much inspirational work from others but I haven't signed in to comment on it - both here and in the contest threads.

If I can say to everyone - thanks for showing all your great work. It's always appreciated.

edited December 1969

12 min render, untouched default shaders- only anisotropic lighting on hair and a bit of translucency on arms-; raytracing and 20% sky light only

gabi.jpg
    1400 x 1960 - 237K
  • ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

Back in around 2008 Stonemason contacted me to created Carrara scenes and shader versions of some of his products to be included with his release.

These are sample renders of his Tin Pan Alley that includes a Carrara version in the package.

http://www.daz3d.com/stonemason/tin-pan-alley

I have been thinking about once again creating Carrara optimize versions of some of Stonemason new releases but I need to talk to him about how to handle the releases. I guess it depends on the Carrara community if they would support this effort.

Regards

Tin_Pan_Alley_2.jpg
    604 x 336 - 50K
    Tin_Pan_Alley.jpg
    604 x 336 - 54K
    edited December 1969

a 6 min. render, 3000x resolution; only Sky Light and Ambience

quarrel1.JPG
    1500 x 644 - 845K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

Due to some recent sales, I couldn't pass up an opportunity for a quick tribute to Frazetta and the like. This render has a generation 4 figure, a genesis figure, and a genesis 2 figure. I don't think it is obvious which is which. Everything is purchased content from the Daz store, except some shaders for the clothing.

frazetta_tribute.jpg
    800 x 600 - 64K
    edited December 1969

wip indoor/outdoor rendering, same lighting rig IL-based

IL.jpg
    2000 x 1718 - 323K
    edited December 1969

out for a walk

000_stoney_creek.jpg
    1200 x 1560 - 2M