The Newest Evolution Is Here: The Daz Season Pass!

Comments

• Torquinox said:

As for the loot box approach and all that, my no-vote is not terribly significant. I'm not the target for that sort of promotion.

But exactly who is the target?   A regular DAZ shopper would find almost zero value in this.  Blind box/loot crate merchandising requires a relatively low cost affordable buy-in.  That is not the case here.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

I haven't read all five pages but I'm going to put my two cents in anyway.  No, just simply no!

• I think it's a cool concept, cool enough to take the plunge lol 

Is it bad I really wanted the forum badge lol

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578

Don't worry, your friendly neighborhood adblocker can block the badges. :D

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

LOL, wouldn;t it be funny if this REALLY takes off and has a ton of adopters despite all the complaining in this thread cheeky

it's been stated often that the majority of DAZ customers don't post in the forums, so it's a possibility. 

The Diigitals said:

I think it's a cool concept, cool enough to take the plunge lol 

I want a forum badge also, but I'm not paying for one, LOL

• AbyssalErosAbyssalEros Posts: 289

While it is true that the forums could use more flair, I have a slight feeling that we, the so-called "forumites," understand something different under forum flair than DAZ officials.

•  I use DAZ everyday for my business so it's money that'll be spent anyway. We pick up pretty much every character for showcasing on social media and creating different posts, so this is actually pretty fun!

FSMCDesigns said:

LOL, wouldn;t it be funny if this REALLY takes off and has a ton of adopters despite all the complaining in this thread cheeky

it's been stated often that the majority of DAZ customers don't post in the forums, so it's a possibility. 

The Diigitals said:

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569

AbyssalEros said:

While it is true that the forums could use more flair, I have a slight feeling that we, the so-called "forumites," understand something different under forum flair than DAZ officials.

Well, Utah is in the heart of the United States. The language there is English (altough the UK might object.) We are writing - more or less - in English.  So, why on Earth, we (the so-called forumintes), are not understood?

• It's kinda like a new streaming service only giving you access to 5 undisclosed new release movies as they debut (but you'll get them in 4K as well.)

And they throw in a couple more undisclosed programs to be revealed at a later date. And a documentary on how to make movies (subject TBD)

And they let you enter a contest.

GeoffreyHawkins said:

It's kinda like a new streaming service only giving you access to 5 undisclosed new release movies as they debut (but you'll get them in 4K as well.)

And they throw in a couple more undisclosed programs to be revealed at a later date. And a documentary on how to make movies (subject TBD)

And they let you enter a contest.

I think that is the best analogy I have heard on that laugh. Thanks. 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

AbyssalEros said:

Well, Utah is in the heart of the United States. The language there is English (altough the UK might object.) We are writing - more or less - in English.  So, why on Earth, we (the so-called forumintes), are not understood?

English may be spoken but it has a habit of NOT being the same from place to placedevil 

• FSMCDesigns said:

The Diigitals said:

But if the majority of DAZ users don't post on the forum of what possible use is a forum badge?.... Oh look, a squirrel!

• The Diigitals said:

*whispers* I love the flair :D

And it pays for itself with the characters and HD add-ons. 

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

FSMCDesigns said:

The Diigitals said:

I'm sure daz has the numbers on how many users buy every or almost every core character on day of release - as several folks have already mentioned for those people the deal may indeed be useful so it might be popular

I don't fall into that category so its not for me - but thats no real skin off my nose, just a sale that is not aimed at me

also a completly irrelevant point but everyone was mentioning lootboxes - what does it say about me that my first thought for a comparison was CSAs?

Robert Freise said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

AbyssalEros said:

English may be spoken but it has a habit of NOT being the same from place to placedevil 

laughlaugh Altough not a native speaker, I did - so far - not have had any issue in the UK, Ireland, Australia, and north eastern USA. Perhaps the people there have been just too nice... 

• Hello,

my opinion on the season pass: I have bought season passes in the past, mostly for games - if I really liked the base game. So I'm not against the concept of a season pass per se, I really got a lot of value from the "BattleTech" season pass e.g.

However there are two factors for me on the Daz season pass:

Financial factor: I would only give so much money in advance, if it was guarantueed that the base figure plus hd add-on would be completely calculated out of a bundle AND there would be a noticable discount on the rest of the bundle.

Suprise factor: I don't really like the suprise factor. What if one, two or even more of the base figures are not usable in my current project? Just as an example: having a trans character like August is a positive and strong political statement, however I have no use for this figure in my current project, therefore I passed it.

If both of these factors weigh more to the negative side than to the positive side, then the investment of the seaon pass was more of a loss than a win.

Perhaps there could be some more clarifications? Perhaps a more detailed road map, at least a rough description on the figures that the seaon pass includes?

Best regards

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Had this email waiting when I got home. Daz is kidding right? This was their April 1 gag that got delayed and they forgot to cancel?

I might pay the PC+ early pricing if I knew what I was getting. But all this vagueness? They have to be kidding.

• WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675

Charlie Judge said:

Daz_Jessica said:

Charlie Judge said:

Ati said:

@Daz_Jessica How are pro bundles going to work? Do people with a seasonal pass get a bigger discount, since they already get the base character?

This. Like many, if I am interested in the character I will generally buy the bundle instead of just the character. So, how will the season pass affect the price of the bundles? If I want the bundle will I loose much of the benefit of having the Season Pass?

Yes! Owners of the season pass will get discounts on the bundles that include the figures unlocked by the pass. We've done this for quite a while for people who own pieces of bundles that have released. 

Ah yes. But in the past those have been old items and didn't reduce the bundle price by anything near the cost of the item. In this case the charactyers will be new so will the bundle cost be reduced by the full cost of the character ? If not I still could be loosing a lot of the benefits of the season pass. 

For example if the bundle is $50 and I get 10% off for owning an item, then the value of the pass is only $5 per bundle which is not enough to jusify my getting the pass.

If it is a percentage off, it will need to be massive percentage or it would need to be a massive bundle. And the HD needs to be independant.

Without bundle (this is how the season pass is priced), the Base stands for $22 and the HD for around $19.6. So the discount for a bundle with the base needs to be $22 to be equal, less means less savings and less than 16 would probably mean actually loosing money unless you bought early. Less than $11 and you actually loose money even if you bought early.

They certainly choose bad with the combination of Base+HD. If DAZ wants to go this route, a better system would be first go back to fixed bundle prices (to be predictable) and go for including the bundles the the season pass.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

I don't like to buy a pig in a poke. Show me what I get and I might consider. Don't show me, and I definitely will not buy.

cherpenbeck said:

I don't like to buy a pig in a poke. Show me what I get and I might consider. Don't show me, and I definitely will not buy.

That pig in a poke would not be an issue, if I could TRUST those guys. They have done absolutely everything in the past six months that I cannot. 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,312

Wolfwood said:

Charlie Judge said:

Daz_Jessica said:

Charlie Judge said:

Ati said:

@Daz_Jessica How are pro bundles going to work? Do people with a seasonal pass get a bigger discount, since they already get the base character?

This. Like many, if I am interested in the character I will generally buy the bundle instead of just the character. So, how will the season pass affect the price of the bundles? If I want the bundle will I loose much of the benefit of having the Season Pass?

Yes! Owners of the season pass will get discounts on the bundles that include the figures unlocked by the pass. We've done this for quite a while for people who own pieces of bundles that have released. 

Ah yes. But in the past those have been old items and didn't reduce the bundle price by anything near the cost of the item. In this case the charactyers will be new so will the bundle cost be reduced by the full cost of the character ? If not I still could be loosing a lot of the benefits of the season pass. 

For example if the bundle is $50 and I get 10% off for owning an item, then the value of the pass is only $5 per bundle which is not enough to jusify my getting the pass.

If it is a percentage off, it will need to be massive percentage or it would need to be a massive bundle. And the HD needs to be independant.

Without bundle (this is how the season pass is priced), the Base stands for $22 and the HD for around $19.6. So the discount for a bundle with the base needs to be $22 to be equal, less means less savings and less than 16 would probably mean actually loosing money unless you bought early. Less than $11 and you actually loose money even if you bought early.

They certainly choose bad with the combination of Base+HD. If DAZ wants to go this route, a better system would be first go back to fixed bundle prices (to be predictable) and go for including the bundles the the season pass.

Yep. My point exactly. And I'm not buying without knowing if the bundle reduction would justify the cost of the pass. 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

cherpenbeck said:

That pig in a poke would not be an issue, if I could TRUST those guys. They have done absolutely everything in the past six months that I cannot. 

• sunnyjeisunnyjei Posts: 497

Blood-PawWerewolf said:

SnowSultan said:

since their relevancy has been falling to the point where companies like Epic Games and Reallusion have much better quality of content

That's not even close to being true if you're talking about high-quality meshes for artistic use. 

IClone has the ability to render in iray (just like DAZ), but what makes Reallusion better is that it is direct integration with UE4, Unity and so much more. Compare the features that Reallusion has and what DAZ has, you'll see the quality differences. 

My entire Daz content thumbnails have been broken for weeks without any help other than 'we know, working on it', between Daz moving to NFTs and these 'loot boxes', I'm really looking at how Reallusion, Blender, and UE might be a better fit for me going forward. I like that I can support the artists creating items here but also might need to find other ways to either buy directly or from other stores.

• Echoing a lot of what's already been said, I feel the complete lack of transparency on items, increasing pricing structure, and no info on the length of a season ridiculous.

I've been a DAZ3D customer for over 19 years and have made way too many impulse purchases, but not even tempted by this one. 

• Db3dDb3d Posts: 248

sbucci_f72ad525e8 said:

Echoing a lot of what's already been said, I feel the complete lack of transparency on items, increasing pricing structure, and no info on the length of a season ridiculous.

I've been a DAZ3D customer for over 19 years and have made way too many impulse purchases, but not even tempted by this one. 

I agree.   It's a bit too "mysterious" for my taste, especially given the price.   

Also, does it extend our platinum membership?  Or is it in addition to?

I'm hessitant unless they give more details.   Like you, I've spent thousands, and would like to know if I'm getting something I'll actually use.

• BlueFingersBlueFingers Posts: 824

sunnyjei said:

Blood-PawWerewolf said:

SnowSultan said:

since their relevancy has been falling to the point where companies like Epic Games and Reallusion have much better quality of content

That's not even close to being true if you're talking about high-quality meshes for artistic use. 

IClone has the ability to render in iray (just like DAZ), but what makes Reallusion better is that it is direct integration with UE4, Unity and so much more. Compare the features that Reallusion has and what DAZ has, you'll see the quality differences. 

My entire Daz content thumbnails have been broken for weeks without any help other than 'we know, working on it', between Daz moving to NFTs and these 'loot boxes', I'm really looking at how Reallusion, Blender, and UE might be a better fit for me going forward. I like that I can support the artists creating items here but also might need to find other ways to either buy directly or from other stores.

Offtopic: I think I have a solution for you thumbnails here:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/393566/how-can-i-fix-missing-thumbnail-images-in-smart-content#latest

• Db3dDb3d Posts: 248

kenshaw011267 said:

Had this email waiting when I got home. Daz is kidding right? This was their April 1 gag that got delayed and they forgot to cancel?

I might pay the PC+ early pricing if I knew what I was getting. But all this vagueness? They have to be kidding.

I didn't even think about it being an April Fools joke... politics aside.   LOL

In grad school I had to take organizational behaviour.  They talked about people's willingness to pitch in if there's something to win... but not at this price.

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

j cade said:

FSMCDesigns said:

The Diigitals said:

I'm sure daz has the numbers on how many users buy every or almost every core character on day of release - as several folks have already mentioned for those people the deal may indeed be useful so it might be popular

I don't fall into that category so its not for me - but thats no real skin off my nose, just a sale that is not aimed at me

also a completly irrelevant point but everyone was mentioning lootboxes - what does it say about me that my first thought for a comparison was CSAs?

This comment has a lot of truth in it.

Yeah, we looked at the sales numbers and saw a fairly sizeable collection of people who buy all of the base daz figures so with the March sale coming to an end we thought this would be a good way to give them a discount.

For those of you that don't buy every figure that comes out and decide that the prices just don't work for you, the good news is that this isn't something that will change how things work for you. If anything you might come out a little better off if the people that are getting the figures early want to show them off and give you a little preview of what the figures are capable of in the forums or galleries.

Also, we had discussed an option of the season pass to have it last for some number of months and give you your choice of 3-6 figures that you would pick and choose and apply a special coupon to get for free at checkout instead of running for a shorter time and adding the products to your content library automatically. We hear that a number of users forget about their PC+ coupons every month and we wanted to make sure that nobody forgot about using their season pass and ran out of time without getting all of their item so we picked this style to go with first to make sure that everyone got the full value of the package. Also, we wanted the bonus of getting the content early and the checkout system is a stickler about not letting you checkout with products that have a release date in the future.

I hope this helps you all understand more of the back-story about the season pass.

• Db3d said:

sbucci_f72ad525e8 said:

Echoing a lot of what's already been said, I feel the complete lack of transparency on items, increasing pricing structure, and no info on the length of a season ridiculous.

I agree.   It's a bit too "mysterious" for my taste, especially given the price.   

Also, does it extend our platinum membership?  Or is it in addition to?

I'm hessitant unless they give more details.   Like you, I've spent thousands, and would like to know if I'm getting something I'll actually use.

It's cheaper with PC, but not otherwise related.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436

I've just been thinking. If Daz wanted to kick out the low end users, why did they come up with Filament?