The Newest Evolution Is Here: The Daz Season Pass!

Comments

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Daz_Jessica said:

Jason Galterio said:

Sevrin said:

Jason Galterio said:

Honestly I don't see this any different than purchasing store credit.

When I buy the credit, I am spending money on future purchases where I have no idea what they will be. I'm just locking in my future purchase at a discount by promising to buy something.

Now I just got an additional discount, since I used store credit, for items that I won't know what they will be. But odds are I would have purchased the base characters anyway...

IFF you buy every base character, it's not a bad deal.  I buy one in two or three (one since 8.1), but I don't know how typical I am.  You do get that sexy forum badge and 2 things that may change your life for the better, along with something to do with a contest.

I also don't mind supporting new things that DAZ wants to try...  as long as they are at least associated with the base product.

I'd rather this not be a 4x a year thing though. Once or twice a year I could swallow, more than that and I'd have to take a pass.

We don't yet know if this will be a once a year thing, twice a year, etc. We want to try new things and see what works. 

I pitched this in the NFT thread, but hopefully you'll note this, I like the ability to give some store credit to some folks on the gallery. So maybe a button to easily transfer a small amount to images I like, so I can support favorite artists on here. I think it will be nice to community build like that. You can even keep a percentage up to 25%, if that pays for the development of the function.

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 967

Just to throw in my 2 cents ... a season pass does have potential ... but I am disappointed in this offer. Primarily because:

) getting access to items only a day early does not seem like much of an incentive

) even worse ... the contests which I might find so very interesting ... well ... all I can say is the theme of past contests has not been attractive to me so I have not participated.

I will watch and see what happens this time around.

• Daz_JessicaDaz_Jessica Posts: 155

Paintbox said:

Daz_Jessica said:

Jason Galterio said:

Sevrin said:

Jason Galterio said:

When I buy the credit, I am spending money on future purchases where I have no idea what they will be. I'm just locking in my future purchase at a discount by promising to buy something.

Now I just got an additional discount, since I used store credit, for items that I won't know what they will be. But odds are I would have purchased the base characters anyway...

IFF you buy every base character, it's not a bad deal.  I buy one in two or three (one since 8.1), but I don't know how typical I am.  You do get that sexy forum badge and 2 things that may change your life for the better, along with something to do with a contest.

I also don't mind supporting new things that DAZ wants to try...  as long as they are at least associated with the base product.

I'd rather this not be a 4x a year thing though. Once or twice a year I could swallow, more than that and I'd have to take a pass.

We don't yet know if this will be a once a year thing, twice a year, etc. We want to try new things and see what works. 

I pitched this in the NFT thread, but hopefully you'll note this, I like the ability to give some store credit to some folks on the gallery. So maybe a button to easily transfer a small amount to images I like, so I can support favorite artists on here. I think it will be nice to community build like that. You can even keep a percentage up to 25%, if that pays for the development of the function.

It's a very interesting idea. I think it could be very nice for the community.  Currently we don't have the infrastructure or sytems to handle this and there are some tax questions we'd have to investigate.  but it's on my list of great ideas though and we'll see what's possible. 

• Paintbox said:

Daz_Jessica said:

Jason Galterio said:

Sevrin said:

Jason Galterio said:

In many countries, this would be counted as income, so the artists would have to report and pay taxes, so probably not that appealing to many people. 

• CrescentCrescent Posts: 319

$75 per year to be a Plat Club member.  $149 for a season membership which is only 2 months long?!?  That's potentially $894 per year to get items I don't know if I'll even want.  And what does that do to bundle pricing?  Most of the coupons these days ("Hey, you have X already so you get Y% off") don't cover the full price of the item you already paid for, so you have to bet that you'll really love all the core figures and hate the bundles they come with or you're losing money.

This on top of NFTs ... wow.

• BlueFingersBlueFingers Posts: 824

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

Paintbox said:

Daz_Jessica said:

Jason Galterio said:

Sevrin said:

Jason Galterio said:

In many countries, this would be counted as income, so the artists would have to report and pay taxes, so probably not that appealing to many people. 

Yes, I think you can count out all EU member states. 

• I am glad, usually, for Daz to try new things but I will pass on this since it doesn't fit my buying patterns or budget for the hobby.

• Until I can be certain that one asset isn't going to completey destroy another, there's no way I want DS installing things by itself.

This happened to me and I didn't notice that my protagonist was distorted until after more than 12 hours of rendering. And I had to stop useful production activities to try and discover what was causing it.

Season Passes do not really appeal to me at all, but the installing things for my "convenience" is a non-starter.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

Until I can be certain that one asset isn't going to completey destroy another, there's no way I want DS installing things by itself.

This happened to me and I didn't notice that my protagonist was distorted until after more than 12 hours of rendering. And I had to stop useful production activities to try and discover what was causing it.

Season Passes do not really appeal to me at all, but the installing things for my "convenience" is a non-starter.

I'm pretty sure they are added to your product library, not your content library. Your product library is found on the website or whatever you use to install and contains all available products to download. Your content library is where you keep things you have actually installed. So Daz won't be installing things without your permission. 

• BlueFingersBlueFingers Posts: 824

In all honesty, I am worried I would be investing in something that doesn't properly work and get frustrated at a premium price.

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited April 2021

Response deleted.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on
  • Daz_Jessica said:

Jason Galterio said:

Sevrin said:

Jason Galterio said:

This is the same as saying, "If it sells well, then we will do it again"...

This promo is hastily, lazily, thrown together with little to no information of its contents, a HUGE price tag, a non-refundable warning, and let's not forget the horrible Call To Action that says that if you don't buy this early, you are going to pay MORE and get LESS... "the earlier you purchase, the more you get"

This is borderline the definition of a cash grab. And I am saying borderline because I want to believe that wasn't your intention... And according to the timer on your promo page, you better act quickly because you didn't leave much time for yourselves to fix this mistake.

• EeyoreEeyore Posts: 30

Does this mean that there may be a new base, such as G9F - Victoria 9(8.1)/G9M - Michael 9(8.1), and then perhaps a couple variations of them provided as those 5 free bases w/their accompanying HD add-ons?  Will they be that much improved?

It has my interest piqued, but I am still questioning if it could be something that substantial.  I'd be disappointed if it were base add-ons to the current 8th generation structure because I have an awful lot of morphs and content for 8 now, some of which doesn't show up or work for 8.1.  I am still comtemplating taking the gamble.

• MJWMJW Posts: 516

Has Daz cbanged hands? First we see the South Sea Bubble NFTs being pushed, and now we have this which seems little more than a way of screwing more money out of us. Not at this price for me, and Daz knows how much I spend on stuff.
    Suddenly Poser is looking worth further effort.

I am disappointed. 

• Eeyore said:

Does this mean that there may be a new base, such as G9F - Victoria 9(8.1)/G9M - Michael 9(8.1), and then perhaps a couple variations of them provided as those 5 free bases w/their accompanying HD add-ons?  Will they be that much improved?

It has my interest piqued, but I am still questioning if it could be something that substantial.  I'd be disappointed if it were base add-ons to the current 8th generation structure because I have an awful lot of morphs and content for 8 now, some of which doesn't show up or work for 8.1.  I am still comtemplating taking the gamble.

Base characters usually meansd the Name 8.1s, not base figures like Genesis 8.1

Eeyore said:

If your G8 content is not showing on your 8.1s then you probably haven't upgraded to Daz 4.15 and PBR skins (what the new characters will use most likely) wouldn't work for you anyway. Also, be aware that if you do move on to 4.15, the program will take a lot more memory to use and that could affect what you can render with your GPU. 

I seriously doubt Daz is anywhere near releasing a G9, since 8.1 just dropped. So don't count on getting a new Victoria or Micheal anytime soon. 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

there is absolutely no carrara content left for me to buy.

the last item left for me to buy was sprucevale buy hf. bought it last weekend.

theres not a shader, not a brush, not a leaf, not a sky, not an upgrade, not a plug in, not a preset, nooothing 

• Alias52Alias52 Posts: 284

I don't hate the idea of a season pass but it does seem ill thought out. The idea of investing a large amount of money for some random things that we might not like seems a bit crazy (If you buy every model as it releases, less so obviously!) I would like a certain amount of choice with them and would like to know what is coming up to make that informed decision. 

With the 3 levels, that is just horrible the way it is. Punishing you for not having enough money at the start of the countdown. If you are going to do it, maybe have a system that offers 3 purchase prices and gets you a different number of items - using your model for instance, Plat gets you 5 base models, Gold 4 of choice and Silver 3 of choice. That way people who know they are going to buy all of them can get Plat - as it saves them a little bit - and others can buy if they wish. People who already have too many character morphs (raises hand and shuffles off to a corner) can opt out, or something could be looked at so you could have an environments pack etc. I would much rather have a choice element in my purchasing so would only buy if I could see a choice in this and that I would save a little money doing it. 

You could have done it as a box system - pick one item (character, environment, outfit etc) per box and the number of boxes depended on the level of pass for instance. So many possibilities.

Obviously it would take a bit of planning and forethought and would have been an excellent poll/debate in the forum before activated but ah well...

MJW said:

Has Daz cbanged hands? First we see the South Sea Bubble NFTs being pushed, and now we have this which seems little more than a way of screwing more money out of us. Not at this price for me, and Daz knows how much I spend on stuff.

I am disappointed. 

I am pretty puzzled by the pricing myself. People who buy all the base characters are also (I thought?) likely to get the bundles... and when you think of the bundles I can only see people losing money on this deal...(Am I wrong here? Lately, I always see people saying that the discount for owning things in the bundle doesn't make up for the cost of buying it and they save money just buying only the things they actually want). I don't see the incentive, except for the forum flair. The one day head start on contests and getting a product one day early are not a big deal, since that's not a lot of time in the big scheme of things. 

• Timbales said:

People who pay for the Season Pass and enter contests get the exciting privilege of providing Daz with free images that can be used to further promote Daz products?

I'm scratching my head over that one too.  It sounds like what they call a "win-win" deal with me paying $150 for my half of the "win"  It really seems like the main point to this is entering the contests which I have no plans of doing.  I have a tough enough time meeting the deadlines I already have with my comics.  I'm going to have to give this one a hard pass.

It's not even a loot box concept really, it's more of a paid contest with the promise of the possibility of free publicity.  You know, like when we are told "I can't pay you anything, but think of the exposure you will get!"

Yeah, I'm thinking about it.  Like I said, hard pass.

• gsil247gsil247 Posts: 221
    edited April 2021

I suck apparently, so the contest thing isn't for me as no one ever votes for my work. $150 for 5 characters which may not look good to me, and two free items (probably more grass), isn't worth it for me. $30 a character when I don't even know what they look like? The entire Cleopatra bundle was about $40 for me, and even that wasn't the best deal. I like the idea of season passes on MOBA video games, because they show me everything I can get. This doesn't show me much but what I do see is not worth it. A hard pass for me. 

Post edited by gsil247 on
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,080

@Daz_Jessica How are pro bundles going to work? Do people with a seasonal pass get a bigger discount, since they already get the base character?

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited April 2021

Response deleted.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on
  • Jason Galterio said:

certaintree38 said:

MJW said:

I am disappointed. 

I am pretty puzzled by the pricing myself. People who buy all the base characters are also (I thought?) likely to get the bundles... and when you think of the bundles I can only see people losing money on this deal...(Am I wrong here? Lately, I always see people saying that the discount for owning things in the bundle doesn't make up for the cost of buying it and they save money just buying only the things they actually want). I don't see the incentive, except for the forum flair. The one day head start on contests and getting a product one day early are not a big deal, since that's not a lot of time in the big scheme of things. 

I have a funny feeling that the next batch of base figures aren't going to have bundles. I don't have any evidence of this other than a gut feeling...  The bundles have been slowly going away the past couple of months.

Not true, I am told.

If Daz had made the value of the pass undeniable, if the math checked out even considering the unknowns and only wanting 3 of the 5 figures, then they might have had a win on their hands. But they might not be able to sell their models that cheaply. So idk. 

Daz already uses the images it likes for promotions, so getting this pass doesn't give you access to exposure you don't already have. It's a little... off putting... to say that's a favor to us. When other companies do it, they are making a change to their normal system of paying millions for marketing and committing to using something that may be substandard in commercials the whole world will see. But Daz promos are only seen by Daz users, and Daz has been using gallery art for a long time for free....so how is this different or a favor to us? We're just cheap labor to you. 

I'm sorry Daz, I don't hate you. I really like the software and the model where you only buy what you will use. I love the sales and the freebies you used to give. But I hope you understand that I still think about what's being said to me and what's being offered and I don't want to be a chump. Please don't treat us like we have stupid tattooed on our forehead. 

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,902

I bought every pro bundle pretty much that came out since Charlotte 8 when I started using Daz because there was a lot of variety in them and really filled out my runtime with so many different options to kitbash and play around with. But then once these theme bundles came, I've only bought I think one because the themes they're releasing I never really do, so I've only been buying the base figures. And yeah, the percentage off when I already own an item doesn't really equate to getting that amount off from the bundle itself which is another reason why I can't justify buying them. So this does help folks like me who have given up on bundles, I just have to decide if I want to buy in all at once because that is a hefty amount at one time. 

The flair though...I can't stop thinking of Office Space. I don't really care to advertise if I bought into this with that, but maybe it floats somebody's boat. 

• gsil247gsil247 Posts: 221

certaintree38 said:

Please don't treat us like we have stupid tattooed on our forehead. 

I will only call the person stupid to whomever buys the silver season pass for $250. Unless the tutorial offered is, 'how to get first place in our contest.' 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

This makes no sense to me. The core characters usually come in a bundle and if you buy the bundle, you will already own the core character, so all you’re getting is the HD morph. Also, this doesn’t let you choose which core characters and I’ve been passing on many these days. Plus, I don’t like the shaders in G8.1 anyway, so I may be done with purchasing new characters that don’t use the original iRay.

No biggie. I have enough content to last the rest of my life and scooped up a ton in the $2.99 sales. I really don’t see the point of this promotion. And it’s really trying to pull money from artists hoping to win contests rather than companies who could better afford this. I have literally no interest in this. 

• Darkwolf92Darkwolf92 Posts: 130

Maaaaaan. Come on DAZ.....go back to who and what you used to represent. This to me seems as nothing more than a HUGE cash grab. *SMH* 

• Interesting. A 3 month season pass costing more than a years spend. Obviously not a target market. So I shall pass on and ignore.