--August Carrara Monthly Challenge: SIZE MATTERS!-- WIP thread

14567810»

Comments

• DaleHardmanDaleHardman Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

Well the bell has rung & the curtain has come down. Thanks to everyone for the extra time to try and get my render done. It was just not fated to work out so I have entered my last WIP image & I will keep working on my project for personal enjoyment & if you all want to see it when I have it done in the future I would be happy to share it.

Thanks to everyone for their input on my WIP :-) This was a fun way to get back into Carrara & art after a 3+ year absence. Thank you to EP for hosting this months challenge, Daz & RingoMontfort for the neat prizes. Thank you to the Carrara community for still being here when I stumbled back :-)

I wish the best to all my fellow Artists in the vote to come.

~Dale

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I would post it here or in the Carrara renders thread. I would really like to see it.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/43528/

edited December 1969

I forgot to add one of the prizes! The first post has been edited to reflect it:

Addendum to the prize list: 1st Place winner gets the horror- I mean HONOR of hosting the next challenge. The winner gets to choose the theme and the rules. I tell ya' It's enough to make an atheist pray. Just kidding, it's almost not that bad.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44033/

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Oh well, I guess size does matter. Had a few hours to finish up and then submit this entry, had to choose that time to experiment with Raytraced Depth of Field. It did say it would be slow, but did I listen? No. Left it to render all night and it still was not done and the computer was on lock down till well past the deadline. Had to cancel the render and do another one without Raytraced DOF....(Duh...should have done that in the first place).But anyways here's what I added to what I had before. Decided not to try too hard and to keep it simple, so I threw in an M4 character from my objects library and dressed him up with stuff from the Real World Heroes Police pack and posed him to speak with the troll. Next was a token effort to make something in Carrara with the plant tool. Duplicated the flagon from the ArtFeld Statue and Rock and re-sized it to serve as a pot for the plant. Rendered with DOF... but you know that already. Painful though, because I really liked the effect the Raytraced DOF was giving me better and I didn't want to post work anything.

Thanks to everyone who commented on the previous post and everyone else who has shared inspiring renders here. Now to vote!

Screenshot_2014-08-15_18.19_.35_.png
    1366 x 768 - 537K
    Screenshot_2014-08-15_17.57_.20_.png
    1366 x 768 - 501K
    Screenshot_2014-08-15_17.53_.27_.png
    1366 x 768 - 210K
    Screenshot_2014-08-15_17.48_.45_.png
    1366 x 768 - 506K
    Screenshot_2014-08-15_16.55_.06_.png
    1366 x 768 - 734K
    edited December 1969

The first image is the aborted render with Raytraced DOF. The last image is the 'replacement' final render. The title would have been: Sorry mate, we didn't mean that kinda big..."

BigBoxMall7.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 140K
    BigBoxMall6.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 38K
    edited December 1969

Oh man! I'm really sorry you didn't make it. If I do this again, I'll try and time it so that the deadline falls after a weekend instead of before it. I just wanted to leave time to vote and for the winner to come up with something for the Sept. challenge. Maybe this is something for the next host to consider. Learn from my mistakes folks!

Again, really sorry you missed it. That one had a great sense of humor!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

EP, great job hosting. Wonderful suggestions on so many features and tools, especially hair. You went above and beyond the call of duty in publicing the challenge and keeping everyone informed. Tremendous! Thank you. And thank you to Ringo and to Daz for your support.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    EP, great job hosting. Wonderful suggestions on so many features and tools, especially hair. You went above and beyond the call of duty in publicing the challenge and keeping everyone informed. Tremendous! Thank you. And thank you to Ringo and to Daz for your support.

+1
    Thanks to EP for a fun, flexible challenge.
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    diomede64 said:

+1
    Thanks to EP for a fun, flexible challenge.

Many thanks to EP for the great work during this challenge and thank you to Ringo and to Daz .

edited December 1969

Oh man! I'm really sorry you didn't make it. If I do this again, I'll try and time it so that the deadline falls after a weekend instead of before it. I just wanted to leave time to vote and for the winner to come up with something for the Sept. challenge. Maybe this is something for the next host to consider. Learn from my mistakes folks!

Again, really sorry you missed it. That one had a great sense of humor!

Thanks for the kind words EP, I guess having a weekend to finish up would be great, though to be fair, I had every chance to finish up, I just made the wrong choice with my render settings. So lesson learnt, managing time is key to making art! But it's been fun sharing with everyone else on the challenge and learning from what everyone is doing, that's the main prize, contributing something to the WIP is the smallest way I can give back, I think! And congratulations on steering a great contest through its paces. Itching to see how the voting pans out!

edited December 1969

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

To whoever wins this thing, it really isn't that hard to host. I'm just using it as my comic schtick. You know what they say, speak softly and carry a big schtick! ;-)

edited December 1969

Man, what a bunch of great WIPs!

• DaleHardmanDaleHardman Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

Hi EP,

Here is the newest WIP image. I was able to get my project back to about where it was when I had my fatal computer issue right before the challenge closed. As you can see I have added grass using Carrara hair & ground fog to sell that first thing in the morning effect. I rendered it with a fake GI rig that I made but I plan on full GI for the final render if I am able. I am still playing with the grass shaders & I had considered trying out Carrara layers & playing with post work to see what I can learn there.

So I will keep playing with this as I have time so I can get you that final image you wanted to see.

~Dale

arlington_wip006.png
    960 x 540 - 892K
    edited December 1969

Nice job with it! The low lying mist is a nice touch. As for the GI, my personal opinion is that I would use the skylight and not the Indirect Light. I think it will render faster for you and since you're not under the trees you won't need to worry about how dynamic the shadowing looks.