--August Carrara Monthly Challenge: SIZE MATTERS!-- WIP thread

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,199
    edited December 1969

I like them both!
    Wow... cool entries so far in the submission thread!
    Amazing!

• DaleHardmanDaleHardman Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

Hello everyone!

It has been over 3 years since I have had any time to open Carrara or work on any art. My thanks to EP for chairing this months challenge! I saw this thread the other day on my first visit back to this forum in a very long time. I am trying to work up an idea I had for this challenge on my hour long trip home after work yesterday. It should help blow the rust off my neglected skills & learning & be fun :lol:

It is great to see EP, Johnstark, Dartanbeck, PhillW, Holly & all the rest of the familier faces still here after all this time :-)

I am enjoying all the WIP images. Keep up the neat work!

edited December 1969

Yaaaaaay!!!!!
    Dale's Back!!! :ahhh:

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795
    edited December 1969

It's funny where you are when you get ideas..

I was down the pigeon club this morning setting stuff up when crater critters came into my mind! ( I collected them from cereal boxes when I was a kid! )

So.... I thought I'd use 3 buildings ( from Phil W's city ) 3 lights and 2 home made objects... one of them has 3 legs!

Crater_Critter.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 418K
    KKWiP.jpg
    824 x 620 - 84K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:

I was down the pigeon club this morning setting stuff up when crater critters came into my mind! ( I collected them from cereal boxes when I was a kid! )

So.... I thought I'd use 3 buildings ( from Phil W's city ) 3 lights and 2 home made objects... one of them has 3 legs!

Oohh! I love that perspective Stezza!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:

Love it! As per the challenge, the camera work really sells it. Great job. Fun idea. Phil's city is really getting a workout this month - and that is a good thing.

edited December 1969

Hello everyone!

It has been over 3 years since I have had any time to open Carrara or work on any art. My thanks to EP for chairing this months challenge! I saw this thread the other day on my first visit back to this forum in a very long time. I am trying to work up an idea I had for this challenge on my hour long trip home after work yesterday. It should help blow the rust off my neglected skills & learning & be fun :lol:

It is great to see EP, Johnstark, Dartanbeck, PhillW, Holly & all the rest of the familier faces still here after all this time :-)

I am enjoying all the WIP images. Keep up the neat work!

I echo Dart! Great to have you back! I sure hope you can put in an entry!

edited December 1969

Stezza said:

Oohh! I love that perspective Stezza!...and I have to echo evilproducer on this!
    Love it!

edited August 2014

So, if anybody is interested, I have a thread in the Commons. Scary, right? :ahhh:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44037/

So anyway, I have this thread in The Commons where I'm pimping this challenge by keeping a running commentary about this thread and the submission thread. The thread has had over 500 views, and not all of them were mine. I pinky swear! Despite the views, nobody has commented. If anybody here has the time and/or inclination, I would be grateful if you could post a comment. The Commons is scary enough, but when you're lonely...... :down:

I think the forum TOS frowns on thread bumping for thread bumping's sake, so I'm not supposed to ask you to.... y'know....., bump the thread! Wink, wink, nudge, nudge! A wink's as good as a nudge to a blind man! Say no more! :coolgrin:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/44037/

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Whoa...

edited December 1969

So I am working on an idea based on a picture I saw of Arlington that stuck with me. Here is a view of what I have together so far. I am working on getting the marker stones set in place before anything else. The size & scale of Arlington is very impactful & I always am impacted emotionaly by the view of markers that cover both a large span of time over all the different wars & all the service men & woman that gave their lives protecting our country. So I hope I can do it justice.

arlington_wip001.png
    960 x 540 - 603K
    edited December 1969

For those whom may not know (Dale has been missing for years!), Dale was an invaluable help in my growing with Carrara. He sat by my side (over the internet) while my daughter was getting her kidney transplant, which eventually almost killed her - so it had to come back out :(
    He was the major beta tester for Starry Sky for Carrara and, just before fate stole him from our community - and from Carrara, he had been developing an amazingly cool add-on for it - a self-illuminating Moon object - which automatically aimed a moonlight from an illuminated 3D Moon! He also had me beta test his render farm that he had at the time. Really cool stuff! I'd send him my CAR files,and he'd render them and send them back!

I'm really glad to see you back here, my friend! Right now I am the one whom is far too absent for my liking. I try to get in a few posts when I can, but poor Carrara is feeling lonely :(

edited December 1969

Oooops!
    BTW Dale,
    That looks like a great start! I'm right there with you on the memorial aspects of such sights. Heroes. Fallen.

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Ahem.....after hours spent staring dreamy eyed at works shared here. I shall now make an attempt...wobbling, fumbling and trying to have fun.

I started with a sketch-up model of a supermarket, took it into formZ which I'm more comfortable with for modeling, I tweaked the model a bit and then took it into Carrara for more tweaking. I worked on the textures, environment, added (replicated) trees, loaded lights inside the supermarket so the illumination could spill out through the glass. (The sculptural piece out there is from Daz / Art Feld's Fountain of Health). Then I brought in lorez people from my library. I had modified them from Predatron's Lorenzo and Loretta in the past for a different project together with cars similarly brought in from sketch-up and modified / re-textured for a previous project. I dropped in the troll, gave him a shopping cart borrowed from the sketch-up supermarket model (re-textured in Carrara), and gave the supermarket a name, using the Carrara text tool (left the default grey texture, but added a glow channel to bring it out some more).

Where is this heading? The troll wants to shop at the BigBoxMart, but his cart is obviously too big for the supermarket doors. The Predatron characters should run helter-skelter in fear, shouldn't they? Maybe there should be a Police patrol vehicle with cops with guns drawn asking him to step back? (Too obvious?) Can't seem to decide on that one yet. I also have to figure out how to better play with scale in line with the contest theme. I'm using a lot of things I had done before in Carrara, can't figure out what new thing to create in Carrara that I can achieve in the limited time, especially as I have to give attention to other work based projects.....but we'll see.

BigBoxMall3.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 122K
    BigBoxMall2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 130K
    BigBoxMall.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 106K
    Screenshot_2014-08-06_23.13_.38_.png
    1366 x 768 - 353K
    fzscreengrab2.png
    1200 x 675 - 376K
    edited December 1969

some other test renders

BigBoxMall4.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 117K
    Doc3.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 92K
    Doc2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 83K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

DADA_universe , welcome to the fray. Beautiful distortion, love the complexity!
    Here's me, a few rats investigating abandonned disco ball....

rats.jpg
    2000 x 1159 - 260K
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited August 2014

Some objet I made for the new scene
    (an Olive and a Straw)

straw2.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 642K
    straw1.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 556K
    0live.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 203K
    Post edited by pimpy on
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

Thanks Headwax, pretty cool image you have here, nice DOF. I like the way the entire city is reflected in the tiny disco ball, further amplifying the play on scale already articulated by the mice in the city.

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

Hi HeadWax I like yours scene. The ligth is great but if I were you I'll try to modify the length ot the rat fur ....

edited December 1969

@Dartanbeck - It is good to be back & see you as well my friend. Thank you for the kind words. I hope that you have more Carrara time in your near future & not get stuck in an unplanned 3+ year dry spell like me. Of course this might force me to pester & harass you to find the time for Carrara so you can make a new product for us... begging for mercy is not an option... resistance is futile. ;-P

@Headwax - I like the simple but effective layout of your image. If was to pick one thing to play with some more it would be the hair on the rats... maybe a bit thicker?

@Pimpy - I love that straw model you made :-)

@DADA - I had a good laugh over the shot of the Troll with the shopping cart :lol:

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited August 2014

Hi to all,
    I've found a little time (too little ?) to work on this challenge.

I wanted to go for a close-up, on a workbench (wood workbench and a brick wall behind) and, as a result, had the problem to have material seen from close.
    Colour was simple enough because you can find hires textures easily enough, but bump or normal map would do the trick, because the shadows weren't right.
    I tried using subdivision, but it didn't give the result I wanted.
    I ended up with using the terrain editor with a custom bump map as an import.
    I find the result quite satisfactory and wanted to share it:

cop1.png
    1366 x 728 - 423K
    cop2.png
    1366 x 728 - 692K
    cop3.png
    1366 x 728 - 561K
    cop4.png
    1366 x 728 - 733K
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited August 2014

Third WIP post

I forgot. I'm still following up my idea of using mannequin (see first post)) for the POC.
    I kept the lighting and the texture experimented there.

I've added a new mannequin from Archive3d.net, more human like and definitely female because I needed a piece of anatomy where (at least for some ;-) ), size matters.
    I just needed to reorganize the object so it could be posed.

I also needed some tools to populate the workbench.
    IN sharecg, i came across those two items, both uploaded by luxxeon:
    - Wood plane
    - Woodworking Tools Collection

This is the first test render:, with (top image) and without post processing (bottom image) . Post processing is applying DOF (from the depth map) and a colour balance (just a matter of taste, I preferred the light colour like that :-)).

Doc4.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    Doc4b.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
    edited December 1969

@Philemo - Your image is coming along nicely :-) That was a very cool use of the Terrain Editor! I will have to keep that one in mind for future projects :lol:

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    Third WIP post

I forgot. I'm still following up my idea of using mannequin (see first post)) for the POC.

I've added a new mannequin from Archive3d.net, more human like and definitely female because I needed a piece of anatomy where (at least for some ;-) ), size matters.

- Wood plane

This is the first test render:, with (top image) and without post processing (bottom image) . Post processing is applying DOF (from the depth map) and a colour balance (just a matter of taste, I preferred the light colour like that :-)).

Hi Philemo,
    Glad to see that you participles with this challenge in spite of the work which you had with the precedent.
    What I like in your compositions, it's that you use “noncommercial” items, I know that it's contrary with the goal of these challenges but the creativity is more important in your case.
    Good luck and thank you for the precedent one !

edited December 1969

@DADA - I had a good laugh over the shot of the Troll with the shopping cart :lol:
    Me Too! Friggin' Awesome!!!

@Dartanbeck - It is good to be back & see you as well my friend. Thank you for the kind words. I hope that you have more Carrara time in your near future & not get stuck in an unplanned 3+ year dry spell like me. Of course this might force me to pester & harass you to find the time for Carrara so you can make a new product for us... begging for mercy is not an option... resistance is futile. ;-P

I actually have some really cool new EnvironKits coming. I'm not sure yet which will come first, as I keep bouncing around between them. They all seem really cool (to me, anyways), and I think that they'll truly add to the current assortment well, and also save some Carraraists gobs of time setting up the various types of scene!
    So... no begging for mercy from this, devout Carrara fan! :ahhh:
    edited December 1969

So I am working on an idea based on a picture I saw of Arlington that stuck with me. Here is a view of what I have together so far. I am working on getting the marker stones set in place before anything else. The size & scale of Arlington is very impactful & I always am impacted emotionaly by the view of markers that cover both a large span of time over all the different wars & all the service men & woman that gave their lives protecting our country. So I hope I can do it justice.

Very nice! I was at Arlington many years ago, and it is sadly massive. Very emotional.

edited December 1969

some other test renders

Very original and comical idea! Thanks for sharing your work flow with us!

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Nice rim light on the rats. Brush the hair a bit, and it will look perfect!

edited December 1969

pimpy said:
    Some objet I made for the new scene
    (an Olive and a Straw)

Nice WIP. Thanks for sharing the shader tree for the straw. That's a great use of the line function, and shows what can be done without image maps. I don't have anything against image maps, but it's nice to just do it all in Carrara sometimes.

edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    Third WIP post

- Wood plane

Very nice use of textures and an ingenious use of a terrain. The mannequins are a good subject for this as well!