--August Carrara Monthly Challenge: SIZE MATTERS!-- WIP thread

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Alas, time is conspiring against me once more. I'll have to bow out. I may revisit my idea in a non-contest environment. ;-)

I only had the one (extremely vague) WIP. It was to become a land/water terrain being held in M4's cupped hands while V4 looked over it from above. Flipping the roles of small versus large.

C'est la vie!

Really nice work so far everyone! I look forward to voting.

Awww! That's too bad Garsman! I understand about the time constraints all to well. I was hoping to have my Kong picture done so I could move on to another idea by now.

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Here is 1 more image, I need to work on the legs next, and then visits EP way of doing DOF, since hair doesn't appear in the depth map.

js-7.jpg
    896 x 559 - 152K
    edited August 2014

kashyyyk said:
    Here is 1 more image, I need to work on the legs next, and then visits EP way of doing DOF, since hair doesn't appear in the depth map.

I use a depth pass and volume primitive pass. In PS the volume primitive pass appears as two layers. The top layer is a color layer with just the hair and is set to Add. The second layer is a black and white pass with the hair strands being solid black. This layer is set to multiply. What I do, is use the magic wand tool to select the hair and copy and paste it into the depth pass. I then lighten the black color to match the object that the hair is supposed to grow on. I don't worry to much if there are subtle gradations in the underlying object. If it's dramatic then I manually add the gradations to the hair.

In my example, I painted the white area in the center of the sphere of hair black to match the outer edges. I didn't bother to try and correct for the fringe around the hair.

Picture_5.png
    674 x 503 - 73K
    Picture_4.png
    897 x 471 - 49K
    Picture_3.png
    905 x 532 - 119K
    Picture_2.png
    901 x 545 - 56K
    Picture_1.png
    900 x 526 - 110K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Using the same method with the hairy object in the middle ground. Before I pasted the volume primitive into the depth pass, I used the color picker to select the color of the underlying sphere, and used that as a rough visual guide when using the brightness and contrast controls to adjust the pasted volume primitive to approximate the underlying shade of gray. I then painted the white area in the middle the same shade of gray. It's not perfect, but it's close enough for government work.

Picture_10.png
    725 x 528 - 83K
    Picture_9.png
    920 x 542 - 79K
    Picture_8.png
    670 x 534 - 43K
    Picture_7.png
    664 x 529 - 80K
    edited December 1969

Here's a sample of my render. It's going alright, but when it hits the hair it crawls.

Picture_3.png
    1023 x 866 - 1M
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

Ha ha, you are excelling yourselves! (as one schizophrenic said to himselves)

heres something , i am looking forward to using philw's cityscape in this if i get a chance

Doc2.jpg
    1422 x 2000 - 186K
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Wow!
    @ EP incredible! I like it
    @ Head Wax Good idea but I must remembar to close my windows!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited December 1969

Some amazing WIPs. But - what is with all the insects and bugs?

And EP, you have outdone yourself with your challenge leadership. I just came across your running commentary thread in the other forum. What a great idea, and what a PITA for you. Above and beyond the call, truly. I hope that has drawn extra people to come and check it out.

Well, my C8.5 computer finally fully died. A replacement came, had issues, got sent back. I am now awaiting another replacement. I was fully prepared and have a backup drive for my content so no tragedy, but I haven't been able to work on my challenge projects. I may try to complete the Colossus sketch with my doodling laptop, but it has an older version of Carrara and I get very frustrated with its response time if I add any replicators, hair, or anything else complex. May have to content myself with just the existing version of the ship in a bottle render.

Keep up the good work everyone.

edited August 2014

Thanks Pimpy!

headwax, nice job on the lizard. You even made the little sticky pads/suction cups on his feet look correct!

Here's my Kong render aged. I forgot to alter some of Kong's textures, fix the mysterious glowing finger nails on Anne, and add more vegetation, so I'm going to re-render it.

I also remembered a brick-stupid-easy way to add the hair volume primitive to the depth pass. I'll elaborate on that tomorrow, as I'm a bit punchy today. I did play around with aging the image, so I'll post that here now at any rate. Not that happy with it. It was a pre-made script, so I think I'll figure out my own way to do it.

Kong_sample.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    edited August 2014

diomede64 said:
    Some amazing WIPs. But - what is with all the insects and bugs?

And EP, you have outdone yourself with your challenge leadership. I just came across your running commentary thread in the other forum. What a great idea, and what a PITA for you. Above and beyond the call, truly. I hope that has drawn extra people to come and check it out.

Well, my C8.5 computer finally fully died. A replacement came, had issues, got sent back. I am now awaiting another replacement. I was fully prepared and have a backup drive for my content so no tragedy, but I haven't been able to work on my challenge projects. I may try to complete the Colossus sketch with my doodling laptop, but it has an older version of Carrara and I get very frustrated with its response time if I add any replicators, hair, or anything else complex. May have to content myself with just the existing version of the ship in a bottle render.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Thanks Diomede! It's not that bad. I try and add to it when we start a new page. I keep hoping someone will pop in and leave comment besides myself. I know there are people that have Carrara over there, but are maybe afraid to open it and give it a try.

Edited to add, that I'm sorry your old computer was giving you problems. Hopefully you'll be up and running soon!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Here some elements of my WIP and the final render.
    Diomede, your boat in a bottle is really nice enought !

Goutte.jpg
    1992 x 1385 - 1M
    WIP.jpg
    400 x 400 - 102K
    edited December 1969

Here some elements of my WIP and the final render.
    Diomede, your boat in a bottle is really nice enought !

Looks really god DUDU! Were you able to solve problem of the disappearing model when the camera was moved very close to it?

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

I took your advice and also for the parameters to move the camera more slowly.
    Thank you!

edited December 1969

This is probably the final iteration of my Kong picture as I want to try and move on to another idea.

I'm including the postworked version and the raw version. I will explain what I did in Post in the next couple posts, as it will take some time to explain and I'll need a few screen shots. ;-)

I will probably add some noise to it as well, so that it doesn't look as clean.

Kong02.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Kong02_raw.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    edited December 1969

whoah! great job, EP. That black and white image could really be a promo still for the '33 Kong. Well done.

So, I am going to take a shot at completing some version of the Colossus idea. I don't have the patience to do resource intensive features on my old clunky laptop, so there won't be any replicators or hair. It became an immediate issue for the sea, because I was going to do the replicated/terrain/sea approach, but not now. Still, not too unhappy with the result of just playing with shaders.

The colossus is the Freak figure from Daz. I posed him and then modeled a tunic for him around the pose. Don't plan to make it a real conforming figure as this is a one shot deal. I then experimented with some different shader mixes until I got one to apply to the figure and the tunic. Just did the tunic with vertex modeling in the assembly room.

I then modeled some simple vertex objects to act as the terrains by his left and right foot. I mixed a stone texture map that I have with a preset terrain shader (rocky) with a cellular function in the blend to get the mix I liked, and then upped the bump for each layer. Mixed results - I'll see if I can get it improved.

I also played with the realistic sky editor by adding more cloud layers and changing the sky color to a more purplish color. I then put a weak purple spotlight on the sailboat entering the harbor.

The terrain in the distance is a placeholder. Just the default that results when you insert a terrain from the top menu.

colossus_shader_terrain.JPG
    981 x 578 - 103K
    colossus_tunic.PNG
    674 x 559 - 240K
    colossus_7_try_freak.jpg
    480 x 640 - 20K
    edited December 1969

I'll cover how I enhanced the atmosphere.

When I rendered my image, I also rendered a depth pass and a volume primitive pass. The volume primitive pass was rendered to add the dynamic hair to the depth pass, which was covered previously.

I took the raw background layer, select all, and copied and pasted a couple times (I like extra layers to play around with). One of the background layers I just created I turned into a Layer Mask. I clicked on Channels tab, selected the Depth Pass which PS calls Distance, and copied it.

I went back to the Layers Tab, and option clicked the layer mask, and pasted in the depth pass. I created a new layer and used a color gradient to fill it. I placed it under the layer mask. I saw that I needed to invert the layer mask.

Picture_3.png
    977 x 736 - 349K
    Picture_6.png
    975 x 729 - 910K
    Picture_4.png
    974 x 733 - 225K
    Picture_1.png
    974 x 745 - 350K
    Picture_2.png
    194 x 34 - 6K
    edited August 2014

Continued from above.

I'll explain more of the postwork in another post.

Picture_5.png
    975 x 730 - 1M
    edited December 1969

To create the aged black and white look, plus add the DOF, I merged the layer with the layer mask and the color gradient. I then desaturated the image. The next thing I did was apply a photo filter. I chose Sepia and set it to

I then added a Lens Blur. I had the blur radius pretty high.

Picture_13.png
    354 x 436 - 102K
    Picture_12.png
    374 x 232 - 22K
    Picture_11.png
    400 x 514 - 123K
    Picture_10.png
    406 x 506 - 183K
    Picture_8.png
    203 x 35 - 5K
    edited December 1969

Continued from previous post...

Picture_14.png
    1273 x 947 - 1M
    edited August 2014

Nice work Diomede! If I can use my circa 2003 or 2004 1.8 Ghz, single processor PPC PowerMac, you'll do just fine with the laptop! ;-)

edited December 1969

Here's the final with noise and a bit of a blur added. It's more noticeable if you click the picture and look at the full sized image.

Kong_Final.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Whauuu! Great work EP! Fantastic !

edited December 1969

Nice work Diomede! If I can use my crica 2003 or 2004 1.8 Ghz, single processor PPC PowerMac, you'll do just fine with the laptop! ;-)

Truly, you demonstrate over and over that it is the artist, not the equipment. But I have a lot to learn before I could do what you do no matter what equipment I have. I am going to give it a shot in any case. No tragedy regarding my desktop. It lasted 8 years which isn't too bad in computer time. I had time to prepare, but the replacement that came was defective. Aargh. Have to wait until Friday for the replacement replacement. Then I will spend time configuring, etc.

Enough about my minor annoyances. Great to see so many different approaches this month.

edited August 2014

I'm working on my second idea... (I love Donald)

Untitled_-_1.jpg
    1243 x 1038 - 251K
    Post edited by pimpy on
  • d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

I created some large leaves for the background for the DOF, the ground is individual round vertice objects because this spider is so small you would see dirt sort of like this.

js-9.jpg
    1079 x 690 - 1M
    js-8.jpg
    1265 x 791 - 512K
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    I created some large leaves for the background for the DOF, the ground is individual round vertice objects because this spider is so small you would see dirt sort of like this.

I just knew this one would creep me out! Nice idea to use objects as dirt granules.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

Dates To Remember: WIP Thread open Sunday, July 20th, 2014 and closes when voting begins. Submission Thread Open on Saturday, August 2, 2014. Submissions close and thread is changed to voting thread on Friday, August 15, 2014, at around 8:00 PM U.S. Mountain Time. Voting ends Wednesday, August 20, 2014, at around 8:00 PM U.S. Mountain Time.

Thanks again to our fine sponsors, DAZ 3D and RingoMontfort for sponsoring this challenge!

Owies! My, how flime ties! I... I mean... Time Flies! Or Tempus Fugit... something like that.

Wow... GREAT Work all of you WIP submissionists!

edited August 2014

I had a couple more ideas. I wanted to do a Halo inspired render. I don't know if I'll continue with this one. It's just not grabbing my imagination as much as I thought it would.

The technique I used to make the ring world thingy look like it is seen through an atmosphere was to render a scene with the ring world at the same resolution and aspect as my final render, then load the image into the scene's Backdrop slot.

If you have an atmosphere, it will appear as though it is behind it. The nice thing about this effect is that you can use cloud layers or volumetric clouds and they will appear in front of the backdrop helping to sell the idea that it is in orbit or whatever.

An image or HDRI in the scene's Background will also appear behind the atmosphere if you use one. The difference between the Background and the Backdrop is that with an image in the Background, the image wraps around the virtual universe and can be reflected and used like an IBL (Image Based Light) when the Skylight is enabled in the render room. Ideally the image in the background should be a spherical render and a fairly high resolution if it is to remain visible in the finale render.

The first image is the ring world. The second is the scene with the atmosphere. I didn't do that great a job on the ring world object, as I wasn't sure how much detail would visible through the atmosphere. Note that if the sky is fairly dark, the Backdrop or Background image should show up better.

Dells_Halo_copy.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 2M
    torus_back_drop.jpg
    960 x 480 - 246K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

THAT is SO COOL!
    Yeah, Iv'e been mentioning, a few months ago, how great it can be to simple use Carrara to composite stuff over other footage - whatever footage. I was using volumetric clouds, fire and particles and such... but a Carrara atmosphere... now That is SO COOL!

edited August 2014

THAT is SO COOL!
    Yeah, Iv'e been mentioning, a few months ago, how great it can be to simple use Carrara to composite stuff over other footage - whatever footage. I was using volumetric clouds, fire and particles and such... but a Carrara atmosphere... now That is SO COOL!

Thanks Dart!

Here's a version with better lighting, but I'm going to try one from a higher perspective and a different aspect to see if I like it better.

Dells_Halo03.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 2M