• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Here is a Godzilla version!

Doc9.png
    1500 x 825 - 2M
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

Some great stuff already!

Woohoo! I think I actually might have a workable idea, and some time to work on my entry for this one. So here is the beginning of what will hopefully be my entry.

I will be using Muelsfell Display Plinth, but I needed a glass cover for it, so I created one in C8.5. I used a cylinder vertex object, closed the top end and welded the vertices. I created a couple of additional edge loops (extract edge) to give the top a more pleasing curve, then added thickness to create the closed glass suface.

Below is a screen shot of the glass cover in the modeling room, and a test render of the glass shaders using an HDRI to test reflections, etc.

Glass_test.JPG
    1127 x 972 - 122K
    Glass_cover_Model.JPG
    1464 x 1042 - 205K
  • waxfin_c9ea3eab69waxfin_c9ea3eab69 Posts: 57
    edited December 1969

whoa whao what a great start everyone has, I swear the quality of the works is jumping ahead in leaps and hounds :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited July 2014

kashyyyk said:
    Looks really good. For the hand details, it may be the shadowing you're using, or a lack of a bump map.

Right, but I found that bump maps do not always work without tweaking.

Click on Top Shader and to the right increase the bump to 100%, now below that, adjust the bump "brightness" as needed.

Adjust the Highlight and Shinyness as needed, Highlight 10-25% and shinyness 2-4% as needed. If you place a Spec map texture in highlight it looks better, you can use a bump map if needed.

Thanks for the suggestions, Kashyyyk and EP. I am going to experiment with these ideas and a couple that I have. I will make sure to include them in my next set of WIPs.

Welcome aboard, Dustrider! Great test render.

Kashyyyk, that lowres bridge is perfect for this shot. The whole setup is excellent, even if you don't keep Godzilla (who I think should be breathing fire ;-) )

Headwax, are we close to the one-year anniversary of the Carrara challenges? I'd like to express thanks to you for your role in starting these challenges, which have definitely helped me with all the different tools and uses of Carrara.

Edit - Even my first changes to the shadows and the bump settings had great improvement to the hands, as per attached test render. I'll need to continue working on it, but thanks Kashyyyk and EP. Very helpful, as always.

wip_improved.jpg
    640 x 480 - 32K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone,
    I'm working with terrains. I'm assembling and modifing them to create a big hole. The hole reveals the deep space ...

wip3.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 285K
    wip2.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 246K
    wip1.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 646K
    edited December 1969

pimpy said:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm working with terrains. I'm assembling and modifing them to create a big hole. The hole reveals the deep space ...

Looks good....

geek moment- Maybe an Exogorth coming out of that?

edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    pimpy said:
    Hi everyone,

Looks good....

geek moment- Maybe an Exogorth coming out of that?

Hi!
    No In my mind nothing is coming out but is somethings that is going into ;-)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Great looking stuff everybody!

Kahsyyk, you have a gift for the scaly one!

Diomede, that ship is looking really good!

dustrider, that should look really nice when you're done! Are you going to use Octane to render it?

Pimpy, it will be really interesting to see what goes in the hole! You're off to a great start!

Here's some more of my ape. I finished the legs and arms. Brushed the hair and played with the shader a bit. Right now, the hair shader does not use any proprietary image maps (or any image maps for that matter) for hair length or color, so if anybody has the DAZ Gorilla I'd be willing to share it. Just let me know and I can stick it in Dropbox and on my ShareCG account.

Here's some screen shots from the Texture room and hair room.

Picture_6.png
    743 x 721 - 109K
    Picture_5.png
    730 x 509 - 91K
    Picture_4.png
    727 x 573 - 94K
    Picture_2.png
    982 x 754 - 229K
    Picture_1.png
    252 x 685 - 61K
    edited December 1969

Here's what it looks like rendered with the default light.

hairy_ape.jpg
    800 x 600 - 116K
    edited December 1969

That looks awesome!

edited December 1969

Amazing - and thanks for posting the hair shader settings. I am really struggling with hair. I am incredibly impressed.

fay-wray-GC.jpg
    495 x 410 - 30K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

Headwax, are we close to the one-year anniversary of the Carrara challenges? I’d like to express thanks to you for your role in starting these challenges, which have definitely helped me with all the different tools and uses of Carrara.

thanks diomede64 :) It's been a real pleasure watching how everyone has picked up the ball so generously and enthusiastically.
    I'm really enjoying learning from everyone's work and am constantly surprised (well not really surprised) at the quality and ability of all the artists here.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited July 2014

dustrider, that should look really nice when you're done! Are you going to use Octane to render it?

Thanks! No, I'll use Carrara, or possibly Lux. No plugin yet for Octane, so I can't use it, though it would be ideal for my scene. Unless of course the open beta for the plugin is released before Aug. 15, then I would definitely use it :-)
    Post edited by DustRider on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the kind words everybody! I've uploaded a zip file with the hair file. It's just styled. There's been no draping or anything like that. Feel free to use it however you wish. I make no claims of ownership.

To use it, drag it from your browser and drop it on the DAZ Gorilla model under the figure hierarchy.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7370483/DAZ-Gorilla-Hair.car.zip

edited July 2014

Thanks for the kind words everybody! I've uploaded a zip file with the hair file. It's just styled. There's been no draping or anything like that. Feel free to use it however you wish. I make no claims of ownership.

To use it, drag it from your browser and drop it on the DAZ Gorilla model under the figure hierarchy.

Thank you EP!
    I'll try to use it soon :-)
    P.S. Very nice render!

Post edited by pimpy on
    edited December 1969

pimpy said:

Thank you EP!
    I'll try to use it soon :-)
    P.S. Very nice render!

+1 :-)

edited December 1969

Made some more adjustments. I want to make it look like the person is painting the little pirate figures. So, I added another pirate M4, but changed all of the shaders to the default color. I then made a simple black/white map in photoshop to control the colors on the main M4 pirate shirt in the hands. I used a layers list, with my map as an opacity mask, to make it look like the M4 in the hands is a model being painted. It may be too small to notice the difference. Oh well.

I then replicated a few of the default colored M4 pirates on a newspaper on the desktop. I applied a newspaper texture to a simple vertex grid and morphed it slightly to look minimally crumpled. I made a couple more opacity masks to apply a few patches of paint to the newspaper.

The rest of my time on this image will be spent working on the hands, the lighting, and the background details. Hope you like it.

I do plan to enter a second image of some sort. Because this render is based on something small, I will probably try to do something large with my second entry.

wip_last_for_pirate.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 226K
    wip_last_shader_tree_shirt.JPG
    829 x 565 - 100K
    edited December 1969

Here's another character that I'm working on.

Wray-ish.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 139K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Made some more adjustments. I want to make it look like the person is painting the little pirate figures. So, I added another pirate M4, but changed all of the shaders to the default color. I then made a simple black/white map in photoshop to control the colors on the main M4 pirate shirt in the hands. I used a layers list, with my map as an opacity mask, to make it look like the M4 in the hands is a model being painted. It may be too small to notice the difference. Oh well.

I then replicated a few of the default colored M4 pirates on a newspaper on the desktop. I applied a newspaper texture to a simple vertex grid and morphed it slightly to look minimally crumpled. I made a couple more opacity masks to apply a few patches of paint to the newspaper.

The rest of my time on this image will be spent working on the hands, the lighting, and the background details. Hope you like it.

I do plan to enter a second image of some sort. Because this render is based on something small, I will probably try to do something large with my second entry.

Looks real good! I have another suggestion for you, the sails on the ship are too white. They are usually a parchment paper yellow color, but the paper and unpainted men look perfect.
    edited December 1969

Getting closer to the final result..... Are there biplanes or modern planes?

edited December 1969

Oh, EP, will she be standing on the prow of the Titanic with the gorilla? Kidding aside, nice start. Please tell me that she is not the Jessica Lange blonde.

Kashyyyk. Thanks for the tip regarding the sails. You are right. I will try to make some adjustments.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Working out one of the poses...getting tricky because constraints got turned off. Sometimes the limbs warp into painful positions...

test_1.png
    1200 x 1024 - 503K
    edited December 1969

An object that I'm going add to my scene.
    I used vertex object plane in model room (using dynamic extrusion, rotate, copy/past and bridge command)

ponte4.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 783K
    ponte3.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 291K
    pedana2.JPG
    1920 x 1200 - 305K
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:

Nope. No planes. Going to try and recreate the fight between Kong and the Tyrannosaurus with Anne in the tree. I may repurpose the VM tree I made for a previous challenge.

edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:

Nope. No planes. Going to try and recreate the fight between Kong and the Tyrannosaurus with Anne in the tree. I may repurpose the VM tree I made for a previous challenge.

OK, I thought on top of the Empire state building!

edited December 1969

Garstor, nice to see you in this one! I await the results with great curiosity!

Diomede, nice job so far on your scene. It's really coming along nicely! Don't worry, it's not Kong '76.

Pimpy, that's a nice job of modeling. I'm really curious to see where this goes!

edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    kashyyyk said:

OK, I thought on top of the Empire state building!

The dress I have her in is closer to that style, but I thought the one in the photo that Diomede was kind enough to post looked almost clown-like with the oversized dark buttons.

• MarkHossackMarkHossack Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

I haven't used Carrara in ages and I thought trying this challenge would be a good way to get back to it! Using Carrara 7.2 Pro at the moment.

This is an early WIP. I'm planning to model some columns and maybe a building of some sort behind the dragon.

I'm hoping the DOF makes it seem more imposing.

wip_render1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 151K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

Yes the dof is great! Welcome back to cararra :)

edited December 1969

mhossack said:
    I haven't used Carrara in ages and I thought trying this challenge would be a good way to get back to it! Using Carrara 7.2 Pro at the moment.

This is an early WIP. I'm planning to model some columns and maybe a building of some sort behind the dragon.

I'm hoping the DOF makes it seem more imposing.

DOF work well! Very good