Carrara Challenge #56 - "Let There Be Light."

Comments

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,946

Stezza said:

a basic setup

with infinite plane with water shader applied, atmosphere is realistic sky with both a moon and sun light  set in position for an eclipse and just the one basic light set at around a strength of 150

Shrimp boat from Renderosity store and gulls from DZFire here at Daz.

Bright Eyes

~   looking good here   ~

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,946

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D - keeps getting betterer !

Headwax - nice vids - hope you get some quality time to work on your entry/entries

Stezza - lovely boat scene

Sci Fi Funk - looking great, glad you got your computer back up and running !

shlomi laszlo - nice work

~  Thanks very Kindly   _ _

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2021

Portrait of an Airship

Lighting elements include distance, bulb, spot (light cone), tube, aura and HDRI.

Other processes include Carrara clouds, text, blur, and the GMIC plugin.

The ship model is the A.S. Nocturne by Ravnheart.  The city is Organodron, an OBJ freebie.

No postwork.

Portrait of Carrara Setup.JPG
    1620 x 1054 - 304K
    Portrait of an Airship.png
    1700 x 1133 - 3M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,100

Dammit! This is going to be another one of those "Impossible to Judge" challenges, isn't it?!!! Argh!

Great art, all!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,755
    edited February 2021

I guess if you follow the wacky modeling thread you'd have an idea of my next render..

Modelled the Lifesaver tower, along with 2 way radio antenna, solar panels, towel and a couple of folded flags a surfboard laugh

and also a rescue boat with a wacky outboard motor!

also modelled the jetty and the terrain and also a modelled a new body shell for the buggy here at Dazand made it RH drive .. also used DZFire's seagulls. An infinite plane for the ocean

Before the Swell

B4theSwell_WiP.jpg
    1570 x 973 - 298K
    B4theSwell_WiP2.jpg
    821 x 605 - 51K
    Before the Swell.png
    1100 x 825 - 1M
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,519

Sci Fi Funk - Carousel has plenty of drama !

UB - gorgeous render !

Dart - yes voting will be difficult again !!!!!

Stezza - absolutely stunning, love your modelling as well !!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,920
    edited February 2021

UnifiedBrain said:

Portrait of an Airship

Lighting elements include distance, bulb, spot (light cone), tube, aura and HDRI.

Other processes include Carrara clouds, text, blur, and the GMIC plugin.

The ship model is the A.S. Nocturne by Ravnheart.  The city is Organodron, an OBJ freebie.

No postwork.

wow, that's a wow from me, perfect lighting and tonal/colour range. The clouds really do add amazing atmopsheric haze

Post edited by Headwax on

Stezza said:

I guess if you follow the wacky modeling thread you'd have an idea of my next render..

Modelled the Lifesaver tower, along with 2 way radio antenna, solar panels, towel and a couple of folded flags a surfboard laugh

and also a rescue boat with a wacky outboard motor!

also modelled the jetty and the terrain and also a modelled a new body shell for the buggy here at Dazand made it RH drive .. also used DZFire's seagulls. An infinite plane for the ocean

Before the Swell

You've summed up Oz summer in a nut shell, wonderful feeling of heat and sand - do I smell zinc and surfboard wax?

Stezza said:

a basic setup

with infinite plane with water shader applied, atmosphere is realistic sky with both a moon and sun light  set in position for an eclipse and just the one basic light set at around a strength of 150

Shrimp boat from Renderosity store and gulls from DZFire here at Daz.

Bright Eyes

I was just about to ask how you got that amazing crescent sun - then I read the destructions - brilliant!!!

Sci Fi Funk said:

@Headwax - re: focus - thanks - and it should make more sense when the foreground character is added.

re: distorted lense in front of the carrara camera - WHAT A CLEVER IDEA! I watched the video. I had guessed it was some kind of lens effect but to place a distorted lens in front of the camera - I've got to try that when I can.

I've got a new hard drive now, re-building the old PC with a new Drive, lots of problems to overcome, hope to be back in the game soon.

@Stezza - Great pic! - What intregues me the most is the grainy effect you've achieved on presumably a carrara native render. Was that achieved with a plane in front of the camera which is say 97% transparent? I used to do something similar for Z-plane effects in the background, but I'd never thought of doing that in the foreground. Or is it a completetly different technique? Anyway compoisition with the sea gulls, and sea is excellent, and the overall colouration of the light is very good. Lens flare helps as well. A lovely pic. 

thanks Sci Fi Funk _ :) I think the idea came from a discussion with a fellow called Brian (RIP unfortunately) - you may remember him - he had the wizard hat on his head as a avatarlogo and his favourite expression was RTFM ....  He was a photographer among other things

Sci Fi Funk said:

ENTRY #2

"WHEN CAROUSEL SET UP REDUCED TO 30 SECONDS, NOT EVERYONE GOT THE MEMO".

Explanations of the lights as described in earlier posts, except when I added the foreground character I realised I needed another light so you could see his face. The blending of the new white light and yellow foreground light gives the foreground section more depth and 3D interest - so we got away with it. (For a moment there my idea lay in taters as I realised you couldn't see the expression on the face (with only the one foreground light).

The blue section that looks like sky in the left hand corner is in fact one of a series of blue lights mounted at the top of the pit (see round the rim for more).

The gun is kept plain otherwise it's one of the first things you see. I believe that the out of focus carousel participants are the first thing to catch the eye, then the foreground character, then the tunnel, then the gun, then whatever. (hopefully!)

thats a classic - great sense of humour, use of focus - and narrative :) The best combination - really like the untextured masked one as well 

Dartanbeck said:

Stezza said:

heart   I'm loving this thread   heart

that's all I can say  yes

Ditto!
    me three

shlomi laszlo said:

gamma 2.2, ambient 0

volumetric clouds, indirect lighting

realistic sky, sunlight with soft shadows

a lot of group; fire + bulb.

nice haze - it really does make a difference to the scene ! maybe a bulb or two with a radial light effect would zap it up further??? not sure

• Thanks Bunyip and HW, for the comments on the airship.  Very much appreciated.

I notice that a few arrtists are not posting their images at full size within their posts.  Here are some quick instructions:

First, upload your image and write some text.  When finished, post the comment.  Then go back to your image under the post, right click it, and select "copy link location." 

Reopen your text box to edit (little gear in upper right corner) and place your cursor in the text box where you want the image to appear.  Then, in the editing bar, select (left click) the little box labled "image" (kind of looks like a little picture).  Right click and paste in the link to your render under "URL."  Be sure to set the width to no more than 800 pixels (forum rule).  If you want to have people also see the full sized image, go to the very top of the image properties box, and select "Link."  Paste your link info there as well, under "URL."  Do not change the "target."  People can then click on the image and have it expand to full size.  When you are done, click "OK."

Feel free to ask questions.  It really helps to have full size images, especially in the voting phase.

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197

@Headwax - Many thanks.

@UnifiedBrain - Thanks I was struggling with loading the full size pic - I will follow these instructions for the entry thread.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited February 2021

As the theme is about light, I've decided to experiment with reflection, transparency, refraction and caustics.

I've never used caustics before so this is new to me.

Let's talk first about caustics, I'll come to the scene construction in another post.

After several tries and error, I came to the following settings:

The main parameter here is the filter size. if it's too small, you get a lumpy effect. If it's to big, the effect is so diffused you don't notice it. Also, the size of the filter is related to render time. The bigger the size, the longer it takes.

Here is the render without caustics:

The caustics pass:

The final image:

You need see the images full size to really see the effect. It's not obvious (except on the windshield), but it's definitely there.

From a physical point of view, index of refraction should influence Caustics on reflection, but I couldn't see it. But it definitely does on transparency.

DocF.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    DocF_Caustics.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 254K
    DocF_No_Caustics.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Caustics settings.png
    233 x 111 - 7K
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • The scene:

Credits:

The sky car is Skyrider from Daz original:

The pilot suit mesh is from Epsilon for M4 from lourdes heavily retextured. It uses Phong Tessallation plugin to gain volume.

Main shader source is Vinyl padded 001 from 3DTextures

The wall behind is a plane textured with Metal plate 018 from 3D texture. It also uses Phong Tessallation to gain volume.

The door on the wall is a cutout with texture Sci fi door 001 also by 3DTextures

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited February 2021

HDRI ligthing is from Quarry 01 in HdriHaven.com

Scene is lit by an HDR Dome ( with sky only set). No ambient light.

Complete scene looks like that:

Scene setup.png
    1920 x 1040 - 999K
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • Philemo did you delete some upload thumbs?

Because while you may see the first 3 linked images in your previous post because they are cached we cannot

• I'm afraid I did sad

Should be corrected by now

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Philemo did you delete some upload thumbs?

Because while you may see the first 3 linked images in your previous post because they are cached we cannot

• Philemo_Carrara said:

...index of refraction should influence Caustics on reflection, but I couldn't see it. But it definitely does on transparency.

These images don't have any transparency applied to the object's shader, only reflection and IOR and as you can see if intensity is set higher than the offered 1000 you can definitely see something in the caustic pass...

Caustic pass...

• Nice image. Thank you. I didn't dare trying that high. I'll remember it.

ITOH, I didn't say it didn't apply to reflection, just that IOR didn't influence caustics on reflection.

Persona Non Grata said:

Philemo_Carrara said:

...index of refraction should influence Caustics on reflection, but I couldn't see it. But it definitely does on transparency.

These images don't have any transparency applied to the object's shader, only reflection and IOR and as you can see if intensity is set higher than the offered 1000 you can definitely see something in the caustic pass...

Caustic pass...

• Thanks Phil, c'est quoi ITOH? Itou???

Above image with Caustics on for comparision...

Better view of the Caustic pass run at 10,000

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Philemo_Carrara said:

As the theme is about light, I've decided to experiment with reflection, transparency, refraction and caustics.

Let's talk first about caustics, I'll come to the scene construction in another post.

The main parameter here is the filter size. if it's too small, you get a lumpy effect. If it's to big, the effect is so diffused you don't notice it. Also, the size of the filter is related to render time. The bigger the size, the longer it takes.

The caustics pass:

The final image:

You need see the images full size to really see the effect. It's not obvious (except on the windshield), but it's definitely there.

From a physical point of view, index of refraction should influence Caustics on reflection, but I couldn't see it. But it definitely does on transparency.

skycar is lookin brand new

rendering caustics in a pass, didnt know carrara could do that. 

Philemo_Carrara said:

The caustics pass:

The final image:

hey :) great to see you enter the fray - love the caustics! one thing to try is to eg make plane highly reflective, light that up and then turn on caustics in render room and turn off reflections

very interesting 

Persona Non Grata said:

Philemo_Carrara said:

Caustic pass...

looking wonderfully organic - great idea to seperate the caustics render pass so you can see what is happening

• mschackmschack Posts: 337

Thought I would give a challenge a try.  Just working on a simple scene lit by one light to show off the IDL.  Still plan to add more stuff in there to make it interesting.  Everything is Cararra native except the wood texture.

CararraView.JPG
    1858 x 1080 - 256K
    Doc9.JPG
    1600 x 906 - 77K

mschack said:

Thought I would give a challenge a try.  Just working on a simple scene lit by one light to show off the IDL.  Still plan to add more stuff in there to make it interesting.  Everything is Cararra native except the wood texture.

Simp,e is good, lets us see what subtke chnages in lighting make. Looks terrific all ready :) 

Sorry about the typos .... ipads fault

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

wowww just noticed the prizes.wink