Do You Have Suggestions for Changes to the Galleries?

Comments

• DripDrip Posts: 1,146

Ban dog-art, support cat-art.

• those not interested in the galleries can also feel free not to comment enlightened

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Serene Night said:

I can only say for me, I tend not to enjoy labels or checking boxes. So, even though I know I would get more followers by hashtags, and categorizing things, that brings me no joy.  

If DAZ store makes the galleries complicated, and insists I use boxes, or indicate my process when I make somethintg I will pass on submissions. 

I don't mind crediting pas with content I use though, if I have the time in DAZ galleries.

But I'm not going to indicate if I postworked something. I'm not obligated to divulge all things I do to do what I do. If you want to know, you can ask me in my studio thread. 

Can agree with that viewpoint too. I think having the items I listed to be checked should be offered and optional. If you want to do it, fine, if you feel it's nobody's business, then it isn't :)  

• I think the gallery should have a section for animated films or even scenes that people work on. 

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

The galleries are close enough to release that we are in the "Get it finished" stage, so are unlikely to be adding additional features at this point.

However, a small number of the features suggested here have already been incorporated in the new gallery system. I'll tell you about the feature that will most influence how you are going to get your stuff ready for when the new galleries launch:

- Multiple sub-images per main image (internally we call them pages). So that way if you want to show your finished work and also inlude the ten renders of your WIP on your way to the thing that really showed off your vision, you can do that. Or, if you are putting up a multi-image comic and want the punchline associated to the build-up, you can do that as well. The main image will be the thing visible on the various pages and all of the sub-images will show up when someone clicks into it. I know you all will figure out some cooler things to do with it than what I have thought up, but before you think of putting up a rendered version of Homer's Odyssey into a single "page" just be warned that I think the limit is somewhere around 25 sub-images.

As for the exact timeline as to when it launches? The timelines are on the days-weeks scale instead of on the months-quarter sized scale. Not likely going to be this week though.

• There's a tendancy to make everything more complicated than it needs to be these days

Haven't you people ever heard of the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid.

Just because you can doesn't always mean you should.
    Steve.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117
    edited February 2021

I think the problem here is that post work is what separates the more traditional type of artists from the ones who calculate settings. As more of the former, I see nothing wrong with it. But I understand that the latter might get annoyed that they're unable to simulate the "effects" the former users have in their renders with DS.

Can't quote on mobile, but I hope we could follow and ignore users.

Also, I despise "art galleries" where the users just "dump" things into it. This is why I hate Instagram, and dislike both Twitter and Tumblr. It makes artwork difficult to track down when the artist chooses not to separate it. Everything gets buried quickly. These sites aren't good for archival purposes. DeviantArt was good, but they ruined their site. (It's very difficult to use it on mobile and their app was terrible.) To me, it makes it hard to look at and find others' art when it's disorganized like this.

Post edited by MimicMolly on
  • plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

DAZ_Rawb said:

The galleries are close enough to release that we are in the "Get it finished" stage, so are unlikely to be adding additional features at this point.

However, a small number of the features suggested here have already been incorporated in the new gallery system. I'll tell you about the feature that will most influence how you are going to get your stuff ready for when the new galleries launch:

- Multiple sub-images per main image (internally we call them pages). So that way if you want to show your finished work and also inlude the ten renders of your WIP on your way to the thing that really showed off your vision, you can do that. Or, if you are putting up a multi-image comic and want the punchline associated to the build-up, you can do that as well. The main image will be the thing visible on the various pages and all of the sub-images will show up when someone clicks into it. I know you all will figure out some cooler things to do with it than what I have thought up, but before you think of putting up a rendered version of Homer's Odyssey into a single "page" just be warned that I think the limit is somewhere around 25 sub-images.

As for the exact timeline as to when it launches? The timelines are on the days-weeks scale instead of on the months-quarter sized scale. Not likely going to be this week though.

This is super exciting to hear, thank you! :D 

• I think both postworked and not postworked images should be represented in the gallery.

Since there are purists out there that have a problem with images being postworked, maybe do a checkbox or tag for images without postwork instead of the inverse.  This way the purists could just look at their choice of RAW daz renders...the really good ones produced by persons with high end expensive computers and the really sad ones produced with lower end computer systems that can do the bare minimum. The rest of us that don't enable this tag or checkmark can view and enjoy EVERYONES art.

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    All the images that make it to the "elite top" are post worked. I know of only one image that made it that was a pure render. I feel FORCED to do post work because a great many 3D products are lacking. If I were to make any changes it would be that you can't disable comments. There was one image where the comments were disabled and I wanted to ask how it was done. It was a portrait of a woman and it looked like a photograph. If you looked very hard you could see the hair was rendered but the teeth were real. Maybe the guy built his own assets but the render wasn't something you could do with products off the shelf. I live and die in Photoshop every day and can tell what was done in post work. If you're a render purist then you're going to be disappointed with what you thought was "real."
  • Yes actually

- Higher image limit to allow 8k renders 

- Better tagging 

- Save stuff we usually use to a list so we can select it instead of having to search to make sure we aren't listing the wrong thing 

- The image keeps track of our rendering settings and an option to list it

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,560

Pixel8ted said:

I think both postworked and not postworked images should be represented in the gallery.

Since there are purists out there that have a problem with images being postworked, maybe do a checkbox or tag for images without postwork instead of the inverse.  This way the purists could just look at their choice of RAW daz renders...the really good ones produced by persons with high end expensive computers and the really sad ones produced with lower end computer systems that can do the bare minimum. The rest of us that don't enable this tag or checkmark can view and enjoy EVERYONES art.

I don't think it's about "purists" and "having problems" with post worked images, but if you are not an "artist", you may want to check the galleries to see what can be done with the product that you have, not that much about what can be done with other software that you don't have and which may even be too expensive for you to get just for your personal and private enjoyment and passing the time with.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008
    edited February 2021

Overlooking the fact that we are not at the moment graced with the privilege of a functional gallery and if a working gallery were indeed an option in which I could partake, there is little likelihood I would display therein any of my work... nonetheless, I am of the opinion that segregating submitted work based whether or not it includes post work is the greatest of follies.

While I respect the efforts of the fine individuals who are possessed of the skills to render their artistic vision solely through their mastery of the DAZ Studio software, to call separate the efforts of those who use image editing software, is to belittle their efforts and place too lofty a standard by which the efforts of all are judged...

Excuse me...

I was reading a book about maritime disasters from 1841, and I'm kinda stuck in the lingo...

Yeah... I'd have to say no to separating postworked renders or limiting postwork, and a big no to upvoting... 

The galleries should be free of pressure, a place for people to display their work at their own discretion... yes there will be an occasional abomination or two, but most people don't abuse the community's eyeballs too much, and can make reasonable judgment calls as to whether their render is acceptable for public viewing or should be deleted and the computer that rendered it burned, the ashes encased in concrete and the hardened mass sunk to the deepest depths of the sea... 

That might be a little overkill, but most people's work doesn't attain that level, so it's a moot point.

Upvoting (with the assumption there's a downvoting as well)...(because in my experience they seem to go hand in hand on most site in which that appears)... That could and probably would discourage many from submitting their work.

At best likes and loves could be given, but nothing negative and discouraging.

Incidently... To clarify my reasoning for not displaying any of my work in a gallery (should a gallery ever be completed), it's because I personally don't see a point to it for me.
    I primarily model stuff and the stuff I create and make renders of is of interest to few and when I expend real effort in a render it's for a dumb joke which usually lands with all the grace of a drunk elephant skateboarding down a handrail... and though I personally don't give a flying rat's crusty butthole what people think (which should be evident by my choice of verbal imagery), I don't bother because it requires additional effort to engage in posting to a gallery and maintaining a presence there, not to mention remembering how the whole thing works and whatnot... It's not snobbery on my part, just laziness and apathy, but I think everyone who has the slightest interest in displaying their work should do so because it's probably fun or something like that.

So that's my opinion on a subject I have little connection to, that I'm sure nobody asked for, nor cares to hear, but hopefully nobody was harmed by these jumbled thoughts and opinions and their dispensation thereof.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • SummerhorseSummerhorse Posts: 684
    edited February 2021

The only thing that matters to me is the image- not how you got there. I'm not in favor of a gallery feature requiring you to check off postwork.

What I would LOVE to see, is a restriction on the number of posts per day, ie, sometimes one person will post 15 pictures in a row. I would like to see it that you could post images to your private gallery without going on the front page- especially for those that may post multiples of very similar scenes in order to 'see how they look'.

Edit, from Rawb's post, it looks like at least part of this feature will be available!!

Post edited by Summerhorse on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567
    edited February 2021

These kind of arguments exist all the time between artists in other mediums. I avoid these discussions because they come down to one person having  certain narrower view of what is 'art' and those who don't do it that way as being viewed as somehow less

If the result is nice, I like it. I don't care if everything is done by scratch, under the light of the full moon, using only organic paint, if the results are good. Still others insist only things done that way are true.

I had this same debate with someone who felt that poses had to only be made one way. Using pose controls were wrong, and he proceeded to go on about how his way was the only way to make poses. From my perspective, if the tools are available, I will use them and there is no right or wrong. 

I am happy that you like doing things your way. But forcing others to define themselves is your trip not mine. I'm content to post my art, and you may like it or not. But I don't want to be forced to live in your boxes or by your definitions.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Serene Night said:

These kind of arguments exist all the time between artists in other mediums. I avoid these discussions because they come down to one person having  certain narrower view of what is 'art' and those who don't do it that way as being viewed as somehow less

If the result is nice, I like it. I don't care if everything is done by scratch, under the light of the full moon, using only organic paint, if the results are good. Still others insist only things done that way are true.

I had this same debate with someone who felt that poses had to only be made one way. Using pose controls were wrong, and he proceeded to go on about how his way was the only way to make poses. From my perspective, if the tools are available, I will use them and there is no right or wrong. 

I am happy that you like doing things your way. But forcing others to define themselves is your trip not mine. I'm content to post my art, and you may like it or not. But I don't want to be forced to live in your boxes or by your definitions.

I fully agree. In arts, there is no right or wrong. If there were, we would never have got a van Gogh, a Monet, Kandisky, Picasso.... at the time they were creating their art, it would have been considered "wrong" by quite some people. 

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,810

For the people who want to distinguish between postworked and 'raw' images, why not follow the lead of Instagram? It's common practice there to tag images that haven't been modified with '#nofilter'. Perhaps a '#nopostwork' tag would be a useful convention for identifying images that came directly from the renderer and weren't subsequently edited.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,403

Novica said:

Zilvergrafix said:

now, moving into galleries topic: why all you have an urge to have a gallery here?, there is a lot of sites now that you can do the same and be more exposure of your works, many users here already know that and post on Artstation or deviantArt, or better creates their own websites, or others feeling more professional publishing on CGsociety but that is major leagues.

Because the plug in shows links to the forum references AND THE GALLERIES and many people use those gallery references to see if they want to buy the product. IT IS A MAJOR SELLING TOOL. :)  You have no idea how many people bought because they saw a gallery image! (Thank the artists!)  

I also use the gallery A LOT for checking on products I mean to buy (and am sorely missing it atm!), and I'm grateful to everyone posting there and showing me what can be done with an item, and how different (often) it can look. Also, there're images in there that simply blow my mind, and anything that would discourage anybody from uploading their beautiful, inspiring work should, IMHO, be refrained from. There's enough checkboxes in life already, let's not have them in art, too. If you want to know if postwork was used, could you not just ask, maybe? 

• tsroemi said:

If you want to know if postwork was used, could you not just ask, maybe? 

Only beginners would ask if an image is being postworked, Only the ones with a ton of years in this hobby is very simple what render have postwork or not. If somebody can't see the difference and being more than 4 years in this area then they have a problem, a really and serious problem.

and doesn't harm if one image have or not postwork, is the same question when somebody asks "Oh can you share your light setup?", is the same, the technique used, nobody renders with the infamous HDR included in the free content of DS neither your default Victoria texture with green eyes. 

for me, Art is any image with or without postwork, period.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617
    edited February 2021

MimicMolly said:

I think the problem here is that post work is what separates the more traditional type of artists from the ones who calculate settings. As more of the former, I see nothing wrong with it. But I understand that the latter might get annoyed that they're unable to simulate the "effects" the former users have in their renders with DS.

Also, I despise "art galleries" where the users just "dump" things into it. This is why I hate Instagram, and dislike both Twitter and Tumblr. It makes artwork difficult to track down when the artist chooses not to separate it. Everything gets buried quickly. These sites aren't good for archival purposes. DeviantArt was good, but they ruined their site. (It's very difficult to use it on mobile and their app was terrible.) To me, it makes it hard to look at and find others' art when it's disorganized like this.

...DA can be sort of a "dump site" as well if you don't  use any viewing filters. My issue with DA mixes NSFW images with others (unless if you have the "mature" filter turned off) whereas sites like Fantasies Attic has a separate NSFW gallery. I have other issues besides the new format but that is for a different discussion.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617

...as to postworked images in the gallery alongside "straight" rendered images, it really doesn't bother me.  I don't do much of it myself (save for filters and certain effects) as I am horrible at digital painting due to stiff unsteady hands and loss of touch sensitivity that a tablet requires. That said, I try to get as much as I can out of the render process, using the tools and utilities available.  However segregating or otherwise tagging postworked images makes no sense.

I do not agree with the idea restricting the galleries just to products just sold in the store here one post brought up.  Several PAs here also have stores at Rendo and a few even on their own sites . Furthermore the postwork tools many use as well as freebies are not sold/offered here either.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

The main change I'd like to see is that they fix that thing where you have to be super careful not to trigger the add scene-file thing.  I hope they did that.

Other than that, any changes at this point would only delay the gallery becoming available.  It's been nearly 4 months already.

kyoto kid said:

MimicMolly said:

...DA can be sort of a "dump site" as well if you don't  use any viewing filters. My issue with DA mixes NSFW images with others (unless if you have the "mature" filter turned off) whereas sites like Fantasies Attic has a separate NSFW gallery. I have other issues besides the new format but that is for a different discussion.

It used to not be this way, until that major site "update" which now allows this and makes it hard to view the site from a mobile browser. That's why I mentioned it getting "ruined".

For DAZ, an option to "Follow" and make comment threads to facilitate discussion, would automatically improve the experience for me significantly. But then, I liked to see user renders because they showed off products better, even if the artist tried to stay tight-lipped about their "methods".

• DripDrip Posts: 1,146

I don't mind there being both original renders and postworked renders in the gallery. However, I do think it would be great if those doing postworked renders would also include the original renders with their image. It would help beginning renderers a LOT if they could see how far they can (eventually) push Daz Studio in render quality, but also how much of a difference postwork can/will make. Some people occasionally even including "steps" on how they improve an immage through postwork would definitely be awesome as well. Sometimes, having just the images side by side explaining the steps and what they do is more informative than a youtube tutorial.

And for those worried, I won't count adding a watermark as "postwork", but rather call it common sense. Whether these things actually work or not, it does make some people more reluctant to misuse other peoples' content.

• Sevrin said:

The main change I'd like to see is that they fix that thing where you have to be super careful not to trigger the add scene-file thing.  I hope they did that.

Other than that, any changes at this point would only delay the gallery becoming available.  It's been nearly 4 months already.

Yes, I would rather have the gallery back as it was, and have the fine tuning done later than wait another xx months. 

• I say you go all out.

Add a filter for each rendering engine. Iray and 3Delight so I won't be FORCED to see art done with a render engine I don't use.

Add a filter for PC+ so I don't have to see art from non-members.

Add a PRODUCT LIBRARY filter so I only see art done using products I own.

Add a wishlist button so I only see art made with items I might buy someday....

Add an ART, RenderART, Digital Art, and CGIart-  multiple-choice menu so I NEVER have to see the kind of [insert descriptor] Art I don't want to.

Maybe we should separate by orientation and by how long you've been using Daz. Like, under 18 months goes into a special beginner sub-gallery.

----------------------

What's really needed - is all the base features of Social Media. 

- make SHARING your gallery a thing.

- Make the links easy to understand and use.

- Honestly, it should really connect to other social media sites...like the ability to link your other accounts.

- flesh it out enough so that if someone asks where they can see your art, you can answer in the gallery from Daz. I don't think anyone really does that now.

-----------------------------

And also make the Iray Render Watermark [you know, the one from the promos] available (more easily downloaded) and, and  also make one for postwork...like it says "THIS WON'T BE MADE WITH DAZ STUDIO...good luck tryiing though!"

• MimicMolly said:

I liked to see user renders because they showed off products better, even if the artist tried to stay tight-lipped about their "methods".

is the worst marketing approach to do that, many food franchises do that, specially hamburger ones, Real State is another one, in Japan they showcase videos of their apartments with focal lenghts of 22mm for fake as bigger size rooms,  and better ilusionary and heavily product renders that is the main cause that customers return products because when is more postwork than real direct render from Daz the illusion ends and the reality hurts. I could name examples of this kind of products but I will refrain to do that. About the artists not sharing their secrets is very OK, and is contradictory when many are agreeing not differentiate raw daz renders from postworks renders and still asking for the "Colonel Sanders recipe for your magnificent image" 

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Griffin Avid said:

I say you go all out.

Add a filter for each rendering engine. Iray and 3Delight so I won't be FORCED to see art done with a render engine I don't use.

Add a filter for PC+ so I don't have to see art from non-members.

Add a PRODUCT LIBRARY filter so I only see art done using products I own.

Add a wishlist button so I only see art made with items I might buy someday....

Add an ART, RenderART, Digital Art, and CGIart-  multiple-choice menu so I NEVER have to see the kind of [insert descriptor] Art I don't want to.

Maybe we should separate by orientation and by how long you've been using Daz. Like, under 18 months goes into a special beginner sub-gallery.

----------------------

What's really needed - is all the base features of Social Media. 

- make SHARING your gallery a thing.

- Make the links easy to understand and use.

- Honestly, it should really connect to other social media sites...like the ability to link your other accounts.

- flesh it out enough so that if someone asks where they can see your art, you can answer in the gallery from Daz. I don't think anyone really does that now.

-----------------------------

And also make the Iray Render Watermark [you know, the one from the promos] available (more easily downloaded) and, and  also make one for postwork...like it says "THIS WON'T BE MADE WITH DAZ STUDIO...good luck tryiing though!"

Seriously? Or are you just trolling?

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    edited February 2021

Zilvergrafix said:

MimicMolly said:

I liked to see user renders because they showed off products better, even if the artist tried to stay tight-lipped about their "methods".

is the worst marketing approach to do that, many food franchises do that, specially hamburger ones, Real State is another one, in Japan they showcase videos of their apartments with focal lenghts of 22mm for fake as bigger size rooms,  and better ilusionary and heavily product renders that is the main cause that customers return products because when is more postwork than real direct render from Daz the illusion ends and the reality hurts. I could name examples of this kind of products but I will refrain to do that. About the artists not sharing their secrets is very OK, and is contradictory when many are agreeing not differentiate raw daz renders from postworks renders and still asking for the "Colonel Sanders recipe for your magnificent image" 

I have never personally encountered a user complaining about gallery images misleading them. I've seen people raise issues with excessive postwork on official product promos, which makes more sense.  

I personally like seeing artistic promo renders because they're entertaining and because I get a sense of what the creator had in mind when designing the product. But what I get from user images is a sense of how the product can be used in ways the artist didn't intend, and seeing postworked images also helps me understand how it might look within my process. I've bought light sets solely because I saw them used in nonphotorealistic renders and could see how well they worked for that. I've picked up shaders for the same reason, and any number of tools people found unadvertised uses for. The gallery tells me how other customers used a product once it was completely out of Daz and the PA's hands and in the wild. 

It can be really informative if all user renders of a monstrous character show it more or less out of the box, because that might mean it's difficult to customize. It's also informative if a render that has nothing to do with the original product lists it as used, because that suggests it's flexible enough to be kitbashed into something unique. Sometimes product pages don't give enough information, so if I find a user put certain makeup on Character B, that might indicate it's not baked into Character A's textures if the PA didn't specify. 

Using the gallery to help make purchasing decisions vs. using product pages is like picking up Clip Studio Paint because half the artists I know rave about it vs. reading their website. One is peer-to-peer inspiration and the other is product advertising. 

Post edited by plasma_ring on

Zilvergrafix said:

MimicMolly said:

I have never personally encountered a user complaining about gallery images misleading them. I've seen people raise issues with excessive postwork on official product promos, which makes more sense.  

I personally like seeing artistic promo renders because they're entertaining and because I get a sense of what the creator had in mind when designing the product. But what I get from user images is a sense of how the product can be used in ways the artist didn't intend, and seeing postworked images also helps me understand how it might look within my process. I've bought light sets solely because I saw them used in nonphotorealistic renders and could see how well they worked for that. I've picked up shaders for the same reason, and any number of tools people found unadvertised uses for. The gallery tells me how other customers used a product once it was completely out of Daz and the PA's hands and in the wild. 

It can be really informative if all user renders of a monstrous character show it more or less out of the box, because that might mean it's difficult to customize. It's also informative if a render that has nothing to do with the original product lists it as used, because that suggests it's flexible enough to be kitbashed into something unique. Sometimes product pages don't give enough information, so if I find a user put certain makeup on Character B, that might indicate it's not baked into Character A's textures if the PA didn't specify. 

Using the gallery to help make purchasing decisions vs. using product pages is like picking up Clip Studio Paint because half the artists I know rave about it vs. reading their website. One is peer-to-peer inspiration and the other is product advertising. 

In my original post I was saying that I'm unconvinced by official promo renders of products. The two main issues for me is that the PAs either use the same lighting which somehow makes the characters all look too similar to me, or they make their promo pics too stylized that, they fail to properly show off the product. (Especially when the lighting is very dark.) With user renders, I see the product in other angles or totally different lighting scenarios. In one case, I see a PA's characters alongside each other and they clearly look very different from one another, that it makes me wishlist/buy them.

I have a harder time appreciating artistic promo renders because when I shop, I'm looking at the product objectively. I want to know how I can incorporate it into my projects. I'm trying to buy "art supplies", not "art pieces." When I'm looking at an art gallery, I'm analyzing the art I see. Although, this is more because my mind is still strongly geared towards drawings and illustrations. I might not draw much anymore, but that doesn't stop me from studying the shapes and colors. I don't care about the software or medium used, because I'm of the belief that you do whatever you want so your art looks its best.

As for "secrets" the only thing I've ever cared about, for DS, is "What product is that?" because it looks like it would be usable to me. The thing all these secretive artists taught me is that I must be the opposite of them. That should try to list and explain everything I do. Maybe it'll inspire someone. Surely I'm not the only one trying to get inspiration from whatever I can..