Carrara Challenge #55 - The Seasons - Last Minute Entires

Comments

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Hi all, sorry I have dropped the ball here and gotten behind. I don't know what's wrong with me these past few weeks. It's like a paralytic anxiety suffocating my mind from all the tension of everything going on. Hard to explain. And then I just go out and buy booze, lol.

Meanwhile lots of new great work I see!  yes

Diomede - Great Chrsitmas Tree! The lighting has a nice subtle glow. Thanks for the freebie!
    Equinox / Temple scene is looking good. Gemstone has a nice sense of translucency. The setting reminds me of something out of the old Land of the Lost.

Cool use of heighmaps in the ice fishing scene to make holes and cracks. What kind of lighting are you using to get those nice blue / purple shadows? I had a happy accident tinkering with my WIP winter scene (will try to upload again...) when I put a bluish color in the Glow Channel of the shader for my snow, then dialed in a slightly off white and warmer color in the Color Channel to balance it so the whiteness wouldnt totally blow out. The result created bluish shadows but may only work in select situations. Anyways, looks cool!

Water looks great in the fishing scene along with some nice looking rocks. Glad you were able to break you creative block, that can be so frustrating.

Bison scene is fantastic. You have a lot of clever tricks up your sleeve. smiley  Thanks for all your explanations.

Vyusur - "Hot Boys Season" - that's awesome. There are some nice colored atmospheric effects happening giving the impression of painterly streaks. It's really noticeble in the lower left side - but you can see it throughout. Looks neat, nice work as usual!

UnifiedBrain - "Winter, spring, summer or fall... all you got to do is call"  has a great sense of atmopshere and lighting and color choices. All the scene elements and figures look well integrated. Great work!

edited December 2020

Here is that Winter WIP upload again, hopefully it sticks this time.

The ground is just a grid plane Vertex model subdivided a few times and then upped the subdivsion level again to '3'. Then I used the Displacement painting tools in the Vertex Room to paint in some subtle slopes and the winding pathway. I tried putting a bluish color in the Glow Channel of the snow shader and it gave some nice blue shadows. House is a bare bones vertex model and the trees are Carrara trees. I wanted to make my own leafless trees but not sure I'll have the time as I'm concentrating on my other idea.

winter_cabin_wip1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 120K
    snow_shader.jpg
    1095 x 650 - 104K
    winter_cabin_assembly_wip1.jpg
    1603 x 977 - 466K
    Post edited by DesertDude on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

did you upload it to the forum then delete the thumbnail?

you need to leave the upload there if embedding or you will see it because in cache but we won't

Ah, Thank you I think I understand now, hopefully. I did delete the thumbnails. Not sure if this is it but after posting they would still be in that Uploads space, so I deleted them from there. This time I just closed the web page and re opened. Fingers crossed they can be seen.

edited December 2020

Here is my Spring scene so far. Needs more work. smiley

Basically the scene is the Mom bird is about to give her babies a worm and that caterpillar stumbles upon the scene. devil

I threw a quick rig on the caterpillar just to try different poses. I tried giving him an arm and hand as a test, but it just wasn't reading right even when I massively increasd the size of them and changed the hand color, so last night I ditched his hand and he will have to rely only on body language and facial expression, which will work better.  He can have those tiny caterpiallar feet and they can still be expressive even if simple.

Oh, and I used a Negative Light for the first time. There were some really weird render / shadow artifacts in that tree hole so I put a Bulb with a very small Range and some Fall Off and set to 75% Brightness to sort of obscure and darken that area.

comp_008.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 110K
    caterpillar_poses_001.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 65K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,756

ed3D - love your landscapes !!

Wendy - spicing up your life looks great - sure you won't do entries ?

Diomede - nice Christmas tree, Boobies to the rescue, Ice Fishing is a ripper, nice refraction on the boots, great Bison scene

Vyusur - boys are hot to trot, Chippendales ?

UB - Friends is excellent ! What no boobies from you ???

Sci Fi Funk - get those entries in !!!!

HeadWax - we missed you !!!!

DesertDude - winter scene looks lovely, Spring scene coming along nicely !!!

• Thanks, Bunyip!

Diomede, I liked the fishing render.  Well-posed (sexy), and the water was great.  The boots (which could have been more wet-shiny) even had water droplets!  How did you do that?

What was missing for me, was a more differentiated skin texture.  And it's not just your render, but instead applies to most renders that are posted on the Daz and Poser forums, including the newer G3 and G8 characters.  Artists, even in promotional images, tend to use a dull grey-brown for skin, which looks like a plastic Barbie doll.  Unless they are doing a toon, it distracts from the render (to me).  The skin maps from V4 Elite on up are actually pretty good, so it is not the fault of Daz.  Skin irregularities are pretty easy to highlight.  People must just not care, or want their renders to resemble actual dolls.  I guess that we all have our pet peeves. :)

DesertDude, the snow render finally posted, yay!  The first thing I thought of was, how did he do that snow texture?  So, many thanks for posting the instructions.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

@DesertDude, thank you so much for your kind words and for such detailed comment!

Your snow is very skillful and bluish shadows are very pleasing to eyes.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Bunyip02 said:

Vyusur - boys are hot to trot, Chippendales ?

I don't know, maybeblush

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited December 2020

Thanks for the comments, DesertDude, Bunyip, and UnifiedBrain.  The shadows in my ice fishing that had a bluish tint probably resulted from my ice, snow and water shaders rather than my shadow settings.  I'm not sure and I didn't save it (dumb me).  However, I know that I had some translucency and blue tint in the ice shader and the water plane underneath had some blue as well.  Sorry I can't be more specific.

One last effort to get my stylized entry in.  This small village is going to be placed in the backdrop.  I have plans for the foreground.  Simple scene with a couple of toon elf houses, toon trees, and the postman truck I used for the Noir challenge.  The road troughs were made with heightmaps on a terrain.

Season Toon Background 02.png
    1600 x 1200 - 523K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Magnificent WIPs, Desertdude.  The snow shader is awesome.  Wish I had used something similar.  The creature's eyes are very expressive.  Another great entry.

edited December 2020

Frantic Last Minute Experiments

Some fat Morphs and a new outfit for my claymation dude.  Modeled a quick heat ray gun and an Acme manufacturing delivery box.  Some strategically placed bulb lights and fog primitives.

Will see if I can clean this up.

Screenshot 2020-12-26 160906.jpg
    1728 x 982 - 354K
    Seasons Acme 04.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 99K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,756

Diomede said:

Frantic Last Minute Experiments

Some fat Morphs and a new outfit for my claymation dude.  Modeled a quick heat ray gun and an Acme manufacturing delivery box.  Some strategically placed bulb lights and fog primitives.

Will see if I can clean this up.

The dreaded defective ACME !!!

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,989

Vyusur said:

Your snow is very skillful and bluish shadows are very pleasing to eyes.

~   + 1  agree   ~

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D - love your landscapes !!

~   Thanx very much   .,  ~

edited December 2020

UnifiedBrain said:

Diomede, I liked the fishing render.  Well-posed (sexy), and the water was great.  The boots (which could have been more wet-shiny) even had water droplets!  How did you do that?

DesertDude, the snow render finally posted, yay!  The first thing I thought of was, how did he do that snow texture?  So, many thanks for posting the instructions.

_   +1 agree    (Both)  fishing   ones   ,  ~

Post edited by ed3D on

DesertDude said:

Here is my Spring scene so far. Needs more work. smiley

Basically the scene is the Mom bird is about to give her babies a worm and that caterpillar stumbles upon the scene. devil

~    looking   pretty good   _

edited December 2020

Thank you for the comments, Bunyip, UB, and ed3D.

I backed up and simplified my Acme project.  I stuck some fire and shadow catchers to make it more clear that there was a problem and to get more of his face.

Seasons Acme Combined BB 03b.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 210K
    shadow catcher.jpg
    1905 x 959 - 325K

Hi All - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

The entry thread is closing tonight, but I probably won't be  awake at midnight so some time tomrrow (Monday) morning if ya'll need a few more hours. I do, haha.

Looking awesome so far!

DesertDude said:

Hi All - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

The entry thread is closing tonight, but I probably won't be  awake at midnight so some time tomrrow (Monday) morning if ya'll need a few more hours. I do, haha.

Looking awesome so far!

~   alrite then  >  Thanx  ~

edited December 2020

The Sea's Son

Probably not going to be an entry.  Had a thought I could try quickly while watching my sports teams.  Won't be putting any additional effort into it once the game ends and I have to do chores.

Seasons Pirate 01.png
    1333 x 1600 - 620K
    The Seas Son.jpg
    1333 x 1600 - 169K
  • Clever, though. smiley

I went ahead and entered it.  blush

edited December 2020

~  and  The Big Sun

_  in the spring the Pods start to sprout   _

and Entered   ~

Doc1BigSun 2.png
    1920 x 1035 - 292K
    Doc1BigSun 1b.png
    1280 x 720 - 390K
    Post edited by ed3D on
    edited December 2020

Sprouting pods?  Evokes powerful memories of fear of going to sleep.  Most excellent.

Spoiler alert

The Entry thread is now closed - thank you all for your participation!

• DD, I took it upon myself to post Headwax's entry.  He just forgot, I'm sure.  I did too, until this morning.

If this violates your rules, I can delete it.

Hey no problem UnifiedBrain, thanks for doing that! yes

I was pretty vague anyways about when or where 'morning' is / was.

• Thanks DD.  REALLY wanted to see both your ideas finished and entered. sad

Diomede said:

Sprouting pods?  Evokes powerful memories of fear of going to sleep.  Most excellent.

~   thanx so much   ~    partly   supposed the kind about it also  

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

ah sorry not to get more entries in - some super work I missed.

I did start a remake of this for summer  rain 

old image