MEC4D's celebration ( with freebies ) [commercial]

Comments

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,209
    edited November 2020

I'm still debating what card to get for the new computer when the time comes. The Nvidia cards are so expensive, even the previous one's, compared to other cards. Since what I want to do is animation more like the 2D anime and the toons styles I see, Iray isn't really necessary. The only advantage I see in using it is emmissions for light and if Filament or Octane can give me that, without slowing me down, I will most likely not get Nvidia.

Also...not having to deal with a denoiser is a bonus lol

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

Dana, I had some scenes that rendered more than half hour with over 12000 Cuda cores , and other times 350 x 4K renders in less than 20 min, it depends what you threw on your engine and what are the quality settings.

When I render at 10 quality settings it don't always get as fast

DanaTA said:

All cards, great, not to see if it will work on this beast...lol   Also you don't have to have Nvidia to use Iray, if you don't have one then Daz uses the CPU instead of the GPU, or the other way around, can't remember which...lol   but ya, you don't have to have Nvidia, it's just the preferred card for the newer versions of Daz and faster then using other cards, which is why a render on my computer takes so long.

A half hour is not long for doing Iray with the CPU!  I've had a simple scene take at least that long with using CPU and GPU combined.  I have an old Nvidea card that only has a small number of Cuda cores.

Dana

Not cheap indeed, when you go for a card and the budget allow, make sure you get as much of VRAM you can afford .

There are also second hand cards for less that have more cudas and VRAM , don't expect emitters to working in Filament , for that Filament will need to have global illumination and become another iray level engine that will need a very good graphic card to run it . Maybe not Nvidia card but any other good card. That's not the reason DAZ installed Filament in DS, the purpose is to have a light weight engine and not another iray 

I'm still debating what card to get for the new computer when the time comes. The Nvidia cards are so expensive, even the previous one's, compared to other cards. Since what I want to do is animation more like the 2D anime and the toons styles I see, Iray isn't really necessary. The only advantage I see in using it is emmissions for light and if Filament or Octane can give me that, without slowing me down, I will most likely not get Nvidia.

Also...not having to deal with a denoiser is a bonus lol

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    MEC4D said:

Dana, I had some scenes that rendered more than half hour with over 12000 Cuda cores , and other times 350 x 4K renders in less than 20 min, it depends what you threw on your engine and what are the quality settings.

When I render at 10 quality settings it don't always get as fast

DanaTA said:

All cards, great, not to see if it will work on this beast...lol   Also you don't have to have Nvidia to use Iray, if you don't have one then Daz uses the CPU instead of the GPU, or the other way around, can't remember which...lol   but ya, you don't have to have Nvidia, it's just the preferred card for the newer versions of Daz and faster then using other cards, which is why a render on my computer takes so long.

A half hour is not long for doing Iray with the CPU!  I've had a simple scene take at least that long with using CPU and GPU combined.  I have an old Nvidea card that only has a small number of Cuda cores.

Dana

...hmm the highest I've ever dare to set render quality at is 3, then again, old tech here.

Only for special stuff I am paid for lol  regularly I run at 1 , for my own at 3

kyoto kid said:

...hmm the highest I've ever dare to set render quality at is 3, then again, old tech here.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    MEC4D said:

Only for special stuff I am paid for lol  regularly I run at 1 , for my own at 3

kyoto kid said:

Oh, I've been out of it for too long.  I didn't even know about these levels.   blush

Dana

• I always render at 3. One day I should render the same scene at 1, 3 and something higher to see what the difference is. My other render settings are Max Samples:15000, Max Time (secs):72000, Converged ratio:95%

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited November 2020
    DanaTA said:
    MEC4D said:

kyoto kid said:

Oh, I've been out of it for too long.  I didn't even know about these levels.   blush

Dana

@DanaTA, if Quality Enabled is On, you can force Iray to do more samples/iterations to reach the Convergence Ratio by increasing the Quality parameter, which defaults to '1'. I don't bother, myself. I have Quality disabled, Max Time set to '0', (effectively turning off the time constraints,) and set Max Samples according to the image I'm rendering. A test render might get 100-1000 samples, depending on the lighting. A final render will be set to 10k-15k samples, but I'll stop the render sooner if the image looks good to me. I've noticed with 4.12, I've been stopping renders in the 5k-7.5k range. (I've yet to install 4.14)

Post edited by L'Adair on

I use 1 for quick tests and previews and run it until it finish what in my case is always quick as not much stuff in the scene , but when I am loading full set is different scenario and when for print or magazine then I take as much time as it needs .

I always render at 3. One day I should render the same scene at 1, 3 and something higher to see what the difference is. My other render settings are Max Samples:15000, Max Time (secs):72000, Converged ratio:95%

Most of the renders stop before 5K , unless there is an indoor render with less lights sources , but of course the fastest run with HDRI light no matter big set or small for obvious reason.

• DamselDamsel Posts: 374

Cath, you can set the time to 0 and it will run until it is finished.

Hi Angela  ! I did not saw you in ages ! I hope you doing well and so your creative typing ! laugh

Damsel said:

Cath, you can set the time to 0 and it will run until it is finished.

Thanks! I see your products are doing great. I'm very sorry about your loss. 

Thank you heart , working on a new super stuff  smiley

Damsel said:

MEC4D said:

And I'll buy it. I use your metal shaders in particular all the time. They're my favorite shaders.

Thanks for the support Angela ! laugh happy to hear it ! 

Damsel said:
    MEC4D said:

And I'll buy it. I use your metal shaders in particular all the time. They're my favorite shaders.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    MEC4D said:

Damsel said:

And I will be (im)patiently standing in line, credit card in hand .. smiley

Not far to the finale Simon .. thanks for your support...... a landslide is coming cheeky

SimonJM said:
    MEC4D said:

Damsel said:

And I will be (im)patiently standing in line, credit card in hand .. smiley

• MoreTNMoreTN Posts: 219

I'm saving my Store Credit just for your next release!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited November 2020
    MoreTN said:

I have no store credit but I reckon  it would take a new release by Mec4D to wheedle some money out of me to throw at DAZ before next yeardevil

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Can't wait for your new stuff to come out, your experiments look amazing as usal.

Was over the moon, to finally grab some of your shaders during the pc sale last month. Looking forward to playing with them soon, on a shiny new laptopsmiley

Thanks for your support, just waiting when the Holidays week pass through ( Thanksgiving)  to starting finalizing stuff next week.

MoreTN said:

I make sure stuff working in both Filament and Iray, so you going to have some fun Wendy , I liked the last video previews you made with the candle smoke , it was very nice , now if DAZ team add the shadow to the point lights in Filament , it would be even better since point lights are the key for indoor scenes in Filament 

MoreTN said:

I have no store credit but I reckon  it would take a new release by Mec4D to wheedle some money out of me to throw at DAZ before next yeardevil

Thank you and congratulations on your new laptop ! 

Can't wait for your new stuff to come out, your experiments look amazing as usal.

Was over the moon, to finally grab some of your shaders during the pc sale last month. Looking forward to playing with them soon, on a shiny new laptopsmiley

My section area where I am living going into lock down until Dec.4 stores included, almost every second person have Covid19 in our area according to the morning local news, I am scared !

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    MEC4D said:

My section area where I am living going into lock down until Dec.4 stores included, almost every second person have Covid19 in our area according to the morning local news, I am scared !

No need to be scared!  As long as you practice the things that others did not, which got them into this mess!  Wear a mask.  So simple, not a political statement, just a simple, inexpensive, way to ward off illness.  We'd be in such a better place if everyone just did that for a couple of months. 

Dana

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

Oh honey, I'm so sorry.  It's scary but as Dana mentioned just keep safe, masked when you need to go out and you'll be OK, same with your hubby!  

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,088

Here in California, the CoVid-19 infections are exploding. Yes, keep safe. Stay inside as much as possible.

That why I am still OK, but the ring getting smaller every day , my hubby still working , and we take great care , I am scared they close his job again and we not gonna be so lucky this time, it happened once already, everyone in the office was sick in the spring . I am safe at home , but he is open to this all on a daily basic outside. I am trying to think positive , but it gives me a hard time to think about . 

Thanks guys and sorry to bringing it up , but I needed to get it out of my system even for a moment .

DanaTA said:
    MEC4D said:

No need to be scared!  As long as you practice the things that others did not, which got them into this mess!  Wear a mask.  So simple, not a political statement, just a simple, inexpensive, way to ward off illness.  We'd be in such a better place if everyone just did that for a couple of months. 

Dana

inquire said:

Here in California, the CoVid-19 infections are exploding. Yes, keep safe. Stay inside as much as possible.

RAMWolff said:

Oh honey, I'm so sorry.  It's scary but as Dana mentioned just keep safe, masked when you need to go out and you'll be OK, same with your hubby!  

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

*kiss*

BigHugs.jpg
    325 x 355 - 25K

kisskisskiss

Hugs back  

RAMWolff said:

*kiss*

• Now might be a good time to teach hubby some 3D wink