Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

The above render took 12 minutes, you need a faster computer Dave!
    Yup, I've been using this Macbook (2.2Ghz Intel core 2 duo) for waaaaay too long now.
    But a new Mac would mean no more Bryce so that's not going to happen anytime soon. :)

Looking technically good, but I think you could be a bit more adventurous... maybe experiment with more extremes of contrast?

I love extremes of contrast (my life in a nutshell) :cheese:
    But sometimes it's more of a challenge to go to the other extreme.

Last time I tried, it worked out pretty well:
    1_Ship_Misty_City.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 776K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Beautiful render Dave!

Thank you, Pam, well I thought they were a bit iffy, but given I only took 15 minutes maybe I'll be let off.

Here's the link to the video, Bryce shoreline - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

• SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Hi David the question was did i render the figure in "inverted world" separately no it was all rendered together, you tweaked my curiosity why?

edited July 2012

@electro-elvis, thank you for including the links. I like what you have made of this tutorial, it is a good composition for this subject, to keep the horizon line so low and feature the open sky, very evocative of the space. Unlike in photography there is no issue with placing the sun in the view, so here is something you could experiment with further.

OK here is another to get your teeth into.

Bryce lake in a landscape - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

By coincidence (though mine's more a wide estuary than a lake), I've been dipping in and out of this scene for the past two days.
    It started with the top pic and at the moment it looks like the bottom one.
    I only rendered these three so far but I've had so many inbetween variants that I abandoned without rendering...

... and no dragons this time. :cheese:

@David Savage, The middle with boat boat is gorgeous so sharp and the reflections are stunning thanks for the comments Sylverdali

Post edited by Sylverdali on
    edited December 1969

Hi David the question was did i render the figure in "inverted world" separately no it was all rendered together, you tweaked my curiosity why?

Because even though things looked reflective, I couldn't see any obvious reflection of the figure "within" the inverted world.

edited July 2012

David, in the sphere in the front of the figure if you look very closely there is a very small blip on the left centre of the horizon and i used the small sphere to the left of the figure to cover the reflection as it was so small it just looked like another blip in the render, in fact there is a reflection in every sphere its just so small you can not see them.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Great little TUtorial David I enjoyed that. You may have noticed I am for ever trying renders wuith water, with varying degrees of success

survivors.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 356K
    edited December 1969

@Silverdali, thank you for the explanation, it did have me puzzled. A very interesting render, complex and simple at the same time.

@Pam, putting us all to shame again, that's a fantastic render - once again in an illustrative style (but none the worse for that) - and with a narrative. Brilliant!

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Great little TUtorial David I enjoyed that.

Yes, David, I enjoyed it too... I spent the rest of the evening playing with the techniques you showed and had lots of fun.
    And then (without even trying a volumetric cloud) I hit render and even at 16RPP it was an hour to render.
    Then when it was done it didn't look anywhere as good as yours so I wont be posting it... but still, I learned a lot so many thanks again.

@Chohole: Nice, I do love a good pirate/storm/shipwreck pic.

The other night I dressed V4 up in her best piratey outfit and exported her to Bryce to put her in a render... It was going to take sooo long to fix all the bits that didn't carry over that I gave up in the end... for one thing, she would have needed an eye patch over each eye as she was clearly lacking in eye balls... lol!!

But just so I post a pic, here's another dragon one. I did this one originally as I was playing around in the terrain editor. The stone tower looked a bit like the Devil's Tower from Close Encounters but it would have been too obvious to put flying saucers in it and I already had the dragon handy. I tried for a while to get a good(ish) but quick effect of greenery hanging down the tower and with a bit more time spent it would work. It's just the standard foliage applied to really stretched out spheres.

Dragon-Castle.jpg
    600 x 402 - 132K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Dave, I'm glad you enjoyed it! According to Dan, in this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4630/ there are ways around the issues with newer Mac's and indeed that PC Bryce will run faster on Mac's than Mac Bryce would because of the way the multicore processors are addressed.

Anyway, here's a 36 RPP render in the pencil sketch style, a tutorial that has been is ear marked for the Bryce Expo magazine... Uses the GT40 model from DAZ but I can't find it in the shop now. If that means it has gone or just that the new site cannot see it I don't know.

GT14_blend7_pencil_sketch_effect1.jpg
    750 x 562 - 232K
    edited December 1969

wow i really like the effect this has so different for Bryce, David

edited December 1969

Oooh nice, David, both the car and the render.

edited July 2012

"Lair"............... tried to give this image an old world feel

lair_(3).jpg
    1280 x 957 - 784K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 1969

@ Chohole – your work is outstanding. The landscape will make a lovely book cover for a children’s book. Using a rock to make a smiling cloud… amazing.

@ silverdali – I like your abstract work

@ Savage – I love your renders, especially the last combined one. I started David’s desert tutorial last night, not sure when I will finish it.

@David – awesome render, I can’t believe the amazing work that has been achieved using Bryce. I really need to get my teeth into it. lol

edited December 1969

I like this one, it is great. Did you have problems getting Bryce to render 3 dragons? I ask for a reason, as I have an image planned with dragons, if I ever get round to finding the time to put it together.
    edited December 1969

yes i did render the 3 dragons all in one image, i had no problems it took 2 hours

edited December 1969

Cool. I will get round to it, hopefully sometime soon. If anyone is into British legends they will know what I mean when I say I need a red dragon and a white dragon, in a cave under the mountain, with a pool of water of course.

edited December 1969

look forward to seeing what you come up with chohole

edited December 1969

Thanks Dave, I'm glad you enjoyed it! According to Dan, in this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4630/ there are ways around the issues with newer Mac's and indeed that PC Bryce will run faster on Mac's than Mac Bryce would because of the way the multicore processors are addressed.

Yes, I've thought more than once about getting a Windows emulator to run some software not available for Mac, but people I've known in the past who've had to do that have always had serious problems. Not insurmountable ones but ones that certainly took a lot of time to solve. Still, by the time I've got around to investing in a new computer, maybe the boffins at Daz will have brought Bryce into a new dev cycle... we can hope.

Meanwhile, struggling on with my snails pace rendering, I've had another look at the shoreline scene I set up yesterday while following your tutorial and after altering it a lot and tweaking lots of stuff in it, so it didn't look so much like a bad copy of your excellent render, I ended up with this... which I think is good enough to post.

It very much reminds me of the beach at Bude and I even put in some volumetric clouds of the sort I remember so well from my many days spent on that beach over the years... You'll laugh when I tell you that on the 'Regular' render setting, this took over 4 hours to render. I originally let it do one pass on "Super' set at 64RPP and it estimated it would take 3 days and 6 hours or thereabouts. :ohh:
    Shoreline-With-Clouds.jpg
    864 x 579 - 268K
  • HarvestMoonArtHarvestMoonArt Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oooh I like that TS64 looks so "real" Wish my attempts looked this good, give me another few hundred years lol :-)

edited December 1969

well done

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Catching up:
    @Nabou
    Thanks for the resizing offer of your psychedelic abstract (‘Bubble-Licious’) render, however, I have an blank wall 10 feet x 8 feet waiting to accept a picture, so it would have to be HUGE ;) Have been looking at futuristic images lately, so will go eventually for a nice 'spacey' one (wish I could get a 'Sparth' painting/render on it).

@ TheSavage64
    Love your lake/green boat render, but the clouds in your last beach render look too cottony or puffy to me. As for David’s beach renders, well, what can one say...it must be sad to be so talented :)

@Silerdali
    The three green dragons’ one is excellent, but what I like more are your modern renders – love the checkerboard man one, for example.

Jay
    PS. So glad that Chohole made the thread a sticky as we’re now beginning to see what’s out there (In this forum/thread, anyway).

• bjorn.lovollbjorn.lovoll Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

I like this one, it is great. Did you have problems getting Bryce to render 3 dragons? I ask for a reason, as I have an image planned with dragons, if I ever get round to finding the time to put it together.
    My experience is that I run in to problems saving a scene long before I run in to problems rendering it. I have done several "multi-million" poly renders. I know one scene was over 35million.
    edited December 1969

I am very good at multiple saves, I am used to working with my old PC, I know how much it will handle. I am also quite good at multi layering, if needs be. Some scenes though just need to be rendered all in one go.

edited December 1969

@ choholeI have never done multi layering obviously i have so much to learn

@ David Savage you have done a very convincing beach image love the waves and the starfish is a great effect i must get into these tuts although I am still learning, i have always just experimented and fumbled and hopefully something good come out the other end

@Jamahoney, thanks for the comment yes "Sustainable Diversion Limit" is a fave of mine to, this on was third time i had revisited this image and every time it just got better, but i like the be diverse in what i do everything is a challenge so i'll give it a try

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    @ TheSavage64
    Love your lake/green boat render, but the clouds in your last beach render look too cottony or puffy to me.
    Yes, that's partly as explained down to the render time (and my impatience), the more detail I put into the clouds, the longer it takes to render. As a result these are very simple volumetric clouds, but really not unlike you can get on a hazy hot summer day. However, if I had the time or the faster computer, I'd love to get more into creating really detailed stormy angry looking skies.

As for David’s beach renders, well, what can one say...it must be sad to be so talented :)

Naaaa... what would be sad would be if he stopped sharing his knowledge with us all. :-)
    edited December 1969

@ David Savage you have done a very convincing beach image love the waves and the starfish is a great effect i must get into these tuts although I am still learning, i have always just experimented and fumbled and hopefully something good come out the other end

I've been playing with Bryce for over 15 years and when I watch the tutorials, I realise that I still know next to nothing about it's advanced features. Even the ones that sound like they will be really basic, I learn from and as long as you keep pausing the video (David moves very fast and it's difficult to keep up sometimes), it's worth the 30 minutes it takes to watch his 15 minute tutorials and then have a go yourself. It's kind of a diving board to launch you off into your own exploration of the features he highlights... great fun... and then sometimes it's good to just "fumble"and get an unexpected yet excellent result.
    edited December 1969

Oooh I like that TS64 looks so "real" Wish my attempts looked this good, give me another few hundred years lol :-)

Thanks.
    I don't think it looks that real though...

... no litter or dog crap in sight. :cheese:
    edited July 2012

@ David Savage64 what does TS64 mean? like the deer with no eyes .......... no idea LOL

edited July 2012

@ David Savage64 what does TS64 mean? like the deer with no eyes .......... no idea LOL

Savage is my name... I think when I originally signed up here at Daz store years ago, I used an email address that was "thesavage64@etc"... I no longer have that email address and I only had it because Savage@ and DaveSavage@ were already taken. So I put 'the' in front of it and added the year of my birth to the end (1964).
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
This discussion has been closed.