Making Hair with Hexagon, re-uploaded the set

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
edited January 2015 in Freebies

This is nothing fantastic ... I buy hair ;-)

Very basic "how to" at least make a start of sorts for those who may be interested.

Part two! Covers lots of stuff :-)

Making Scalps!

Part 4 - Making a Mustache

Part 5 - Hat with Hair

Not a tutorial, just a pom tail using the Garibaldi Hair system. For G2F. Pom tail must be selected to apply the preset ;-)

13 Jan all of these were re-uploaded to my DA Gallery.
Tutorial Folder

And the pom tail.

Post edited by patience55 on

Comments

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,949
    edited December 1969

Thank You, that will be useful. I have read your tutorials and they are good, though i haven't yet made anything. But i hope i will be able to do some hair too after reading this.

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

That sounds very good! I'll forward it to a friend of mine interested in Hexagon. Thank you :).

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Not to get hopes too high on "part one" as it's a very basic start. Getting really nice hairdos done is a fine art to itself IMO. Lots to learn ;-)

For 'part two' I'm planning to continue on using the base created in part one, but making a new centre for it - hopefully to create a cute type hair for children.

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much. I have been wondering how hair is made. Most good hair models have larger files than many characters. So I was sure it was a complicated process. If nothing else, it will increase my appreciation of those who can do this.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Nabbed just for the reason I love all HEX tuts if nothing else. Prob will never build a hair but you never know.

edited December 1969

:-) Part Two covers re-making the centre area ... re-making the uvmap for a different layout ... and for anybody wanting hair textures Ghastly has a delightful set of resources for making your own.
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/70061/gallery/6/Texture/Assorted-Strands

Still a WIP, have the renaming of Shading Domains and some D/S files to make so can cover some morphing, etc.

edited May 2014

Awesome i am saving it up for later and probably will try running trough it after summer when i have more free time. I doub't i will be able to work more on it then a a quick reading trough for now and will look for part2 to be completed.

Post edited by MilosGulan on
    edited December 1969

Me too lol ...

HU for those waiting, Hexagon is on sale atm :-)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Thank you!
    Question: will these stay up for some time?
    I have trouble getting the full file from DA ...

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Thank you!
    Question: will these stay up for some time?
    I have trouble getting the full file from DA ...

Well, hopefully my tutorials will be left up for at least a couple of months.
    The "dta" [download them all, on right-click menu] FF plugin usually gets the downloads for me on DA.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Thank you for your answer!

edited December 1969

Wow! Hair is on sale, nonono ... have too much already lol ... but but ... oh one more wouldn't hurt ...

You will come to appreciate those $2 hair sales "very much" as you learn to model hair ... even $4 ... man that's a good deal too!

okay ... update ... the work for part two is done ... have over 100 images to edit through ... covers remaking the centre part, remaking uvmaps, a little bit about texturing, morphing, making new models from the "starter", and some of the Shading Domain/material quirks one will come across when using Hexagon.

It will take awhile to edit those images.

edited May 2014

Great, i am waiting for it :)

edited December 1969

Done! Now ... well I suppose I should proof read it, a little bit anyway.
    Hope I didn't miss any important steps ... came across a few glitches and decided to leave of them in the tut as this is what people will come across ... so not to be surprized and/or put off by the experience but rather to learn and continue on. I would highly recommend reading through it before following it. No need for everybody to make the same glitches happen ;-)
    Also covers information about the Shading Domains and materials. Making a morph. Oh yes, making a high res option too :-)
    After this tutorial hopefully people have enough information to make their own "bowl cut" hairs, beanie hats, liberty crowns, or whatever.

Haven't decided yet what a part three might cover, but 'maybe' some longer hair with single strands or something like that.

edited January 2015

Here we go!

See tutorial folder for re-upped item.

modelling_hair_part_two_promo.png
    489 x 632 - 79K
  • cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Great news, it's currently downloading :P. You could consider making a tutorial on braids, pigtails and curls - in some distant future, of course. You contributed so dearly you need to rest :). Thanks!

edited December 1969

Great news, it's currently downloading :P. You could consider making a tutorial on braids, pigtails and curls - in some distant future, of course. You contributed so dearly you need to rest :). Thanks!

Sure. I know that there's a video tutorial 'somewhere' about making a braid ... and there is/was a long one for free use over at sharecg.com.
    That being said, I couldn't make a braid following that video so will be trying again using another method.

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

Thank you once again. Will try looking this over this weekend.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

WOW 100 Mb's. you really must have covered allot of stuff hon! Downloading now! :-)

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    WOW 100 Mb's. you really must have covered allot of stuff hon! Downloading now! :-)

Yup. Made over 100 images, edited a couple out ... hoping it all makes sense.

edited December 1969

Thank you once again. Will try looking this over this weekend.

You're welcome.

edited December 1969

Nicely done and it looks good. Thanks for all that, i might start making my own hair soon :)

edited December 1969

gulan7 said:
    Nicely done and it looks good. Thanks for all that, i might start making my own hair soon :)

Looking forward to seeing what is produced :-)

"No such thing as too much hair" lol ...

edited December 1969

Ouch! Wow!

This is caught in a few different sales I think so grab it fast if you want it.
    Came to $1.99 for me [yes I have Gia] ... otherwise it's about $3.99 --- great buy.
    http://www.daz3d.com/stigian-princess-hair

edited December 1969

It might not be that soon, but after the summer i will give it a try. First i need to learn to make morphs, i am already late with that, but good thing is that i learned depth of field and how to make motion blur in render though i have not tested it yet :)

• fairyfantasticfairyfantastic Posts: 116
    edited December 1969

thnk u it always help ful to have tutorials like this i will give it a try ans see how i get on xx

edited January 2015

Underneath most if not all great heads of hair, is a "scalp". [tutorial]

See tutorial folder for reupped item(s).

Making_Scalps_promo.png
    734 x 948 - 118K
    edited December 1969

Thank you, it looks good, i was just wandering is that part 3 or some additional info that can be added to Part 1 or Part 2?

edited December 1969

gulan7 said:
    Thank you, it looks good, i was just wandering is that part 3 or some additional info that can be added to Part 1 or Part 2?

hmm ... how about part Pre-Three ;-)

The "bowl hair" type models do not require a scalp piece but normally the fancier hairs do make use of one.

Images have been edited for Part Three. Just have to paste them together and proof read it a little.

edited June 2014

Ok :) Part 2.5 then. I am waiting for part 3.