What the hell is Gordig doing now?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,108

An Entrance

I had to grab Protozoon's new outfit when it was released, despite, on paper, having little actual use for it. Me being me, I immediately tried it out on a number of creatures, before asking myself the big question: "but can it centaur?". To my surprise and delight, the unusually high waistline makes it a near-perfect fit on a centaur, which is a rarity for normal people clothes. It did leave a bit of his belly exposed, though, which was a little unseemly for a man of such distinction, so I modeled a quick kilt and threw a plaid shader on it.

edited September 2020

I really don't understand why I'm having such a hard time figuring out how to make his boots. It's just a matter of finding the right approach. Basically everything else about him is done.

Zuklothes 6.png
    800 x 1200 - 325K
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited September 2020

And again, no footwear.

Aang Clothes.png
    800 x 1200 - 213K
    Post edited by Gordig on

A better rendition of his hair (albeit on an older model from when I was still trying to satisfice with Daz assets).

edited September 2020

This may have to be good enough, because I don't know how to do it any better.

Zukoboot.png
    800 x 1200 - 482K
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited October 2020

This thread inspired me to start messing around with pwToon again. I have a number of toon shaders, but haven't spent a lot of time with any of them, mainly because I've always been more interested in realism than toony images (even when rendering toony figures, to @hylas's eternal discomfort). I used this render of Carina in that thread:

Immediately after that, I threw Gui into a scene to test the results on a very different figure with a different skin tone. I've also experimented with different hairs, but I don't know a lot about how 3Delight works, so I initially had some troubles with opacity maps. It seems like Nikan hair is resistant to the toon shader for some reason I can't currently ascertain, as it still looks like this, even with all maps removed:

pwGui.png
    800 x 1067 - 840K
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited October 2020

So it turns out the way to make boots is super obvious and I was just making things harder on myself for no reason, as I so often do.

Aang Clothes 2.png
    800 x 1200 - 202K
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

Fascinating to follow your progress...

I assume you're learning from scratch. What tutorials are you using?

edited October 2020
    Hylas said:

What tutorials are you using?

Experience.

To give a more serious answer, I use tutorials only until they tell me something I don't know, then I pause them and mess around with it myself to see what happens. If I don't get anywhere with the new information, I watch a little bit more. I could maybe track down specific tutorials I used, but I'm mostly just experimenting on my own.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

Well, ok, but don't you have to start somewhere?

It really is trial and error far more than anything else. I'm generally very good at figuring out how things work, and I like to mess around with every parameter to see if I can understand what something does. This does mean that I can miss out on certain processes and approaches that are obvious in hindsight, but I apparently consider that a risk worth taking. 

edited October 2020

Oh yeah, I also removed Gui's skin maps and did a few guess-and-checks to find an appropriate skin tone.

pwGuinomaps.png
    800 x 1067 - 512K
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited October 2020

Made a quickie t-shirt. Let's see if I can finally get a handle on weight mapping.

tshirt raw.png
    1200 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited October 2020

Also, Zuko is basically done until @FenixPhoenix releases their upcoming burn set that has a specific Zuko burn morph and material.

Zuklothes final.png
    800 x 1200 - 613K
    Zuklothes final rear.png
    800 x 1200 - 586K
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,016
    Gordig said:

Also, Zuko is basically done until @FenixPhoenix releases their upcoming burn set that has a specific Zuko burn morph and material.

It looks great, @Gordig! Did you build the character off of Yuzuru? He looks great! The HD Face Burns for G8M is now on marketing's hands.

Close, Daeshim for Yuzuru, and basically stock except for gold eyes from...Keita? The forumulas for Aang and Katara are a little more complex, if I remember correctly.

edited October 2020

Not very good yet, but I'm nearly done with the composition side of things. Aang will be the easy part, especially after all the groundwork I've done setting the other characters up. I'll need to spend more time with some simpler scenes to get a better grasp of how to render well in Cycles 4D.

My Cabbages Cycles rough.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    Post edited by Gordig on

Threw this together for a demonstration in a product suggestion thread. Her foot's clipping through the floor and the sim on her skirt sucks, but that's not what this render was for.

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
    Gordig said:

Not very good yet, but I'm nearly done with the composition side of things. Aang will be the easy part, especially after all the groundwork I've done setting the other characters up. I'll need to spend more time with some simpler scenes to get a better grasp of how to render well in Cycles 4D.

Someone's gonna have to pay for all those cabbages! angry I love it! 

Gordig said:

Threw this together for a demonstration in a product suggestion thread. Her foot's clipping through the floor and the sim on her skirt sucks, but that's not what this render was for.

I like her style, though!

Gordig said:

Someone's gonna have to pay for all those cabbages! angry I love it! 

edited October 2020

I may have finally cracked the code on how to make Katara's most iconic hairstyle. As usual, the solution was "stop trying to do everything the hard way, dumbass!".

Kathaira.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited October 2020

Getting there.

Kathaira 3.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited October 2020

Sounds like a book title to me.

How to Punch a Goat

Punch a goat.jpg
    1125 x 1264 - 627K
    Post edited by Gordig on

Grend'aww

Because if there's one thing I love, it's not using things for their intended purpose.

edited November 2020

Remaking all the clothing off of base G8M so that it can work within Daz. Aang's outfit is mostly done now, although I need to go back in and fix the armpits, and at some point I should more seriously pursue making JCMs. The sash worked better than I was expecting, using dForce's contraction-expansion ratio to rein in the shirt.

Aangxiety.png
    1200 x 1600 - 919K
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited November 2020

Still to do:

Adjust camera angle
    Fix texture issues on Aang
    Completely rejigger the lighting
    Texture cabbage merchant's sandals
    (Maybe) reposition Aang
    Re-angle HDRI and/or place more objects in the background
    Fill out scene with other characters?
    Replace ground texture
    Fix a couple missing textures for the items that show up as hot pink because of some weird quirk with Cycles 4D.

Getting there. Still need to spend more time at home experimenting with rendering in C4D, especially where Cycles is concerned.

My Cabbages Full But Rough.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited November 2020

Some things are better.

My Cabbages 2.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited November 2020

Mutterly Love, for Llola Lane's thread.