How could I render skin like this ?

contact_fe4ae69acontact_fe4ae69a Posts: 0
edited October 2020 in New Users

We want to make an avatar for our game but the skin in Daz3D is too REALISTIC. How could I achieve an effect like this

I have tried various method but no success, for example....

- using different lighting

- Translucency in skin 

- Diffuse in skin

Thank you in advance

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• ElliandraElliandra Posts: 475

I'd suggest using Bestie for Girl 8 skin and mats they have a very similar look and render like the image above with the main feature details but smoother and more stylized.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,158

You should look into toon shaders, since the shading on that model is only intended to give an impression of real skin, not actually be realistic. Daz Studio includes a few toon shaders for 3Delight, and there are other options available in the store.

edited October 2020

Here, I spent a little time messing around with the default toon skin shader. Even knowing as little as I do about how to render in 3Delight, this is still closer to what you're looking for than anything you're likely to get out of Iray.

edit: added makeup and experimented with lighting.

Toonrina.png
    800 x 1067 - 511K
    Twonrina.png
    800 x 1067 - 652K
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

We want to make an avatar for our game but the skin in Daz3D is too REALISTIC. How could I achieve an effect like this

- Translucency in skin 

- Diffuse in skin

Thank you in advance

Personally to get that effect I would use 3dl and pwtoon

edited October 2020
    scorpio said:

- Translucency in skin 

- Diffuse in skin

Thank you in advance

Personally to get that effect I would use 3dl and pwtoon

Speaking of which, I spent some time dinking around with pwToon and got this. Someone like 3Diva could get much better results, and certainly much faster than I did, but I was basically just spinning dials to see what everything does.

pwToonrina.png
    800 x 1067 - 606K
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563

That look great Gordig! Seems the OP is wanting to get this look "in their game" which would mean using the materials and shaders that work in their game engine and not what works in DS.

Also worth mentioning is that the image in the OP is probably not even a 3D render, but rather a 2D drawing, in which case they can shade it however they want to without having to worry about shaders, textures or lighting.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

That look great Gordig! Seems the OP is wanting to get this look "in their game" which would mean using the materials and shaders that work in their game engine and not what works in DS.

Good point, I thought they were rendering sprites or images for the game.

• correct, I need to export it from Daz and will use photoshop to touchup, the final product is a sprite

scorpio said:

Good point, I thought they were rendering sprites or images for the game.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

If you are using Unity they have toon shader products in the Unity Asset Store. Same with UE4. Lots or them. Look at what you like. Look if they give tutorials. Look at reviews. You manually have to change the DAZ model's shaders in the game engine when you make your game though. It's not hard.