Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

This is exactly what kids like (I guess, it's been a while). Funny, calm and a lot of detail.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited July 2012

Horo said:
    @LordHardDriven - funny render with the plastic fish, I like it. Ah, so you were the lord of hard drives and hard driven with them. Thanks for your kind words. It is the spirit of "brycers" to help each other. I've learned a lot from the forums and still do.

Plastic fish? Well the one on the ground might appear plastic but that's because there wasn't really a texture for the fish in the package it came from and I didn't figure it matter that much to find one since it was meant to be a humerous picture. Now the thing piloting the mech is also a fish, a Piranha to be exact. I thought I should mention that since it's difficult to tell from the picture. To be completely specific it's The Antfarm's Pet Bot + Piranha or as I like to call it Piranha Bot. When I first looked at the rendered scene I used from David's DTE Terrains 3 I thought, "That scene would be good for a close up of someone standing there fishing." I like to make the subject be a twist from the usual when I can. So I decided to use Piranha Bot for the irony of a fish in a sort of bot form, fishing.

As for the name, there's more to it I just didn't feel like going into it when I made that post to chris. Actually the lord part came from the virtual reality place I was hanging out at. It was a place called activeworlds ( www.activeworlds.com ) and was a popular place to hang out and chat with people from all over the world. When I first started there I called myself just harddriven. Then one day someone started a trend that caught on of everyone giving themselves titles of nobility and so Lord HardDriven was born. I liked how that sounded better then just harddriven and so I continued to go by that name even beyond the trend of everyone adding a title of nobility to their name.

Now the harddriven part is actually a story in itself. I say it refers to my computer sales work because I doubt I would have thought of it if I did something different but no it wasn't a reflection of how I did on hard drive sales. Basically it was when I first joined the internet and I had to create my first username. I started thinking of what this place called the internet was and what it was promoted as "The Information Super Highway. If it was the information super highway then what were are vehicles for this super highway? At first thought it was computers but then I got to thinking it was the advent of affordable non removable data storage (hard drives) that made the internet really be able to become a thing for the public rather then continue to be a thing only enjoyed by the military and universities. So it seemed to me, in my opinion that while computers might seem the more obvious choice it was actually hard drives that served as our vehicles on the Super Highway of the internet and so it was fair to say I was "harddriven". Thus a handle was born and I continue to use it here some 14+ years later for sentimental/nostalgic reasons, it being my very first username and all.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited July 2012

chohole said:
    Hor and David, yes I guess I do tend to go for an Illustrative look with my renders, I admit to being influenced by Constable and Turner, and later impressionists.

Yeah that really shows thru because that was exactly what I feel your pictures look like in a general sense, something from the Impressionist period of art. Some of your renders remind me of the work of Georges Seurat although without the technique of Pointillism that he used.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I set up this Stonehenge and it's surrounding terrain last year, then imported two millennium dragons (from Poser)... then backed it up and it's been sat on my back up drive since then.

Today I did a bit more work on it adding the fire and altering the lighting:

Dragons-Henge-fire.jpg
    864 x 579 - 170K
  • SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited July 2012

well i just put an image "Sustainable Diversion Limit", but i think i did not put it in the correct area - Show Us Your Bryce Renders! well i just found the correct place to show it off LOL sorry about the confusion

Sustainable_Diversion_Limit.jpg
    1280 x 853 - 839K
    Post edited by Sylverdali on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited July 2012

Silverdali, stunning render, really eye catching, the lighting is really nice and the material on the figures quite baffling to the eye, at first I had the impression the figures were mirrored, but closer inspection suggests otherwise.

TheSavage64, the lighting and materials of your scene I like, the dragons I'm not so sure about - they don't seem to be acting very dragonly if you can take such an abstract criticism seriously - since well... dragons don't exist anyway. But here I offer a caption to illustrate, Red: Dear, is supper ready yet? I'm famished. Gold: In a minute love... Druids don't cook themselves you know?

Mark, thank you for the somewhat lengthy explanation. Turns out the information superhighway was really more of an information super village.

Pam, a classic Pam lit image. Very impressive too. You have captured the spirit of children's illustration and done a far better job of it that what I have seen in passing on children's TV.

Here are a selection of image's I got ready over the weekend for Horo and I. If you like you can play, pick the odd one out...

Image1.jpg
    542 x 855 - 475K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited December 1969

David's tutorial "Bryce desert landscape" inspired me to make a desert picture, too. It's all done in Bryce 7.1 Pro with Bryce materials (a few are a bit tweaked)

ASFAIK you find David's turorial here:

Bryce desert landscape - part 1 - a 15 minute tutorial in two parts by David Brinnen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4EihRjRrkI
    Bryce desert landscape - part 2 - a 15 minute tutorial in two parts by David Brinnen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRmoJEZcTuE

wueste_aa30_800x600.jpg
    800 x 600 - 172K
  • NabouNabou Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

Hello Alls,

Thx for the nice Comments to my Render :-D

@Jamahoney, if u like my Picture for a Wall, sure use it. If it the wrong Size lets me know and i send u a Resized Render :)

@David, 3 new wunderfull Tutorials from u, i like all of your Tuts but at some Points a bit difficult to Watch and Follow, u knows maybe from Horo ... your Mouse is sometimes a bit to fast :D

@Silverdali, yes thats an Eye Catcher, i like Pictures thats surprise me and let me show the Abillities of Bryce. It makes me ever a bit envious that i not can make the same and the good Pictures. And i like it if i have Room to Explore a Picture ...

@Chohole, so how in your Picture !! :-D

With Stereoskope Pictures i have not so realy an Entry. I have an Eye-Failure, can not see with both Eyes on same Time, is a wide spread, so tells me a Sientist, Genetic-Malfunction of the Mankind. Thats is why it worthless to buy me a 3D-TV or go in a 3D-Movie in Cinemas.

Thats enough for now and have alls a nice Day, Nabou

edited December 1969

@Nabou - I know, I know... I keep trying to slow down, but I am always running out of time. Sorry - but do feel free to keep reminding me. One day it will sink in.

edited December 1969

Thanks David Brinnen for your comment, its great to get feed back from a Bryce guru, it is a diagonal checks mat - reflection map for the figure and the lighting parallel, radical and dome, I am really only just scratching the surface with Bryce but I do love the challenges it presents, i still have so much to learn. This was my first high resolution render it took 2 days and finished at 99% using 600dpi 2400x1600, i was not sure what dpi to use so i guessed, Bryce really sucks the juice

Cheers Silverdali

edited December 1969

You are welcome. Now I see dpi rearing it's ugly head again. It is a shame Bryce ever troubled to mention it since it is a thorn in our side ever since. Here some wise words on dpi are to be found in AgentSmith's blog - you'll have to scroll down a bit. http://www.kirkdunne.com/blog/ Otherwise if you want we can have a somewhat technical discussion about the relationship between pixels on the screen, their colour gamut and and the colour gamut of the printer and how many printer dots are required to provide the information of a single RGB pixel. I do not mind, but be aware, it will be a three strong mugs of coffee problem.

edited December 1969

Nabou said:
    Hello Alls,

Thx for the nice Comments to my Render :-D

@Jamahoney, if u like my Picture for a Wall, sure use it. If it the wrong Size lets me know and i send u a Resized Render :)

@David, 3 new wunderfull Tutorials from u, i like all of your Tuts but at some Points a bit difficult to Watch and Follow, u knows maybe from Horo ... your Mouse is sometimes a bit to fast :D

@Silverdali, yes thats an Eye Catcher, i like Pictures thats surprise me and let me show the Abillities of Bryce. It makes me ever a bit envious that i not can make the same and the good Pictures. And i like it if i have Room to Explore a Picture ...

With Stereoskope Pictures i have not so realy an Entry. I have an Eye-Failure, can not see with both Eyes on same Time, is a wide spread, so tells me a Sientist, Genetic-Malfunction of the Mankind. Thats is why it worthless to buy me a 3D-TV or go in a 3D-Movie in Cinemas.

thanks for you comment Nadou Silverdali

edited December 1969

Thanks David i shall investigate and read if i do get stuck i may need some coffee LOL cheers Sylverdali

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2012

Nabou said:

How? what , which bit do you mean ? Most of it is done using booleans

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis, thank you for including the links. I like what you have made of this tutorial, it is a good composition for this subject, to keep the horizon line so low and feature the open sky, very evocative of the space. Unlike in photography there is no issue with placing the sun in the view, so here is something you could experiment with further.

OK here is another to get your teeth into.

Bryce lake in a landscape - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

landscape_lake_750w.jpg
    750 x 375 - 264K
    edited December 1969

3 spheres 2 torus and daz figure sorry i have posted to the wrong forum again sorry still getting use to this site

inverted_world1.jpg
    1889 x 1416 - 983K
  • NabouNabou Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

@Chohole, i mean your - Childish - looking Picture :-) (not sure - ... - so spell in English correct?)

edited December 1969

sorry guys i posted another image "inverted world" for this forum but I am still getting use to this site i posted in the the Bryce talk forum

edited December 1969

I will merge it into the render thread for you

edited December 1969

@silverdali, very interesting render, tell me if you don't mind my asking, was the figure rendered in this scene with the rest of the objects or separately?

edited December 1969

3 spheres 2 torus and daz figure sorry i have posted to the wrong forum again sorry still getting use to this site

That is very clver, and well done.
    edited July 2012

Nabou said:
    @Chohole, i mean your - Childish - looking Picture :-) (not sure - ... - so spell in English correct?)

Yes I guess you meant that one. I built all the little vehicles, and the houses using primitives and alternate primitives and boolean tecniques. Rendered that one with TA enabled to bet more of a Carttoon look to it, having got quite toon looking mats in the mat editor.

getting the face to show in the one cloud was just one of those lucky things that happen sometimes when using volume mats on clouds.
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis, thank you for including the links. I like what you have made of this tutorial, it is a good composition for this subject, to keep the horizon line so low and feature the open sky, very evocative of the space. Unlike in photography there is no issue with placing the sun in the view, so here is something you could experiment with further.

OK here is another to get your teeth into.

Bryce lake in a landscape - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

By coincidence (though mine's more a wide estuary than a lake), I've been dipping in and out of this scene for the past two days.
    It started with the top pic and at the moment it looks like the bottom one.
    I only rendered these three so far but I've had so many inbetween variants that I abandoned without rendering...

... and no dragons this time. :cheese:

Row-Boat-Estuary.jpg
    600 x 402 - 98K
    Row-Boat-Goose-2.jpg
    600 x 402 - 99K
    Row-Boat-Goose.jpg
    600 x 402 - 99K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Beautiful renders, silverdali. TheSavage64, I like the one in the middle best.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Beautiful renders, silverdali.
    I agree very nice silvervali
    TheSavage64, I like the one in the middle best.

Yes, I think the middle has got the atmosphere just about right. I was unsure about the goose though... May try the foreground and mooring on the middle one instead of the goose.
    edited July 2012

The lower of the three for me. I like the foreground "action". What I feel it needs though is a big fat fluffy volumetric cloud sitting in that expanse of sky. Like this one...

Edit: this is what I'm working towards for my next tutorial - if I can get there in under fifteen minutes...

Render_for_video_tut4.jpg
    750 x 750 - 532K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

I think a combo of the atmosphere of the 2nd and the forground of the 3rd would be good

edited December 1969

The lower of the three for me. I like the foreground "action". What I feel it needs though is a big fat fluffy volumetric cloud sitting in that expanse of sky. Like this one...

Yup, but that's the difference between a 27 minute render and a 4 hour, 27 minute render... Not that I'm in a hurry or anything, just impatient.

Anyway, combining the two versions and making some slight tweaks, I get this;

Row-Boat-ALT3.jpg
    600 x 402 - 99K
    edited December 1969

The above render took 12 minutes, you need a faster computer Dave!

Looking technically good, but I think you could be a bit more adventurous... maybe experiment with more extremes of contrast?

edited July 2012

I like your sea David. very realistic.

TheSavage That looks good combined.

This discussion has been closed.