DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.3.52, General Release, Now Available for Download!

Comments

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    I really hope you can make a stand-alone installer. I don't use DIM, as it is still fundamentally broken with its insistence on using Users\Public for metadata/downloads/etc with no option for the user to change this. If you simply made this configurable, I'd give DIM a shot. But as it stands now, Users\Public is on a limited-space boot SSD instead of the big mechanical drive where this stuff belongs...

Thanks

Not sure which problems you had with DIM, but I am not using any of the DIM pre-defined paths. My download is going to an external hard disk and my content directory is where it always has been and that is not in the public shared spot, but rather a very old "Content" like directory from DAZ Studio 3.

• RodrakRodrak Posts: 81
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    I really hope you can make a stand-alone installer. I don't use DIM, as it is still fundamentally broken with its insistence on using Users\Public for metadata/downloads/etc with no option for the user to change this. If you simply made this configurable, I'd give DIM a shot. But as it stands now, Users\Public is on a limited-space boot SSD instead of the big mechanical drive where this stuff belongs...

While it's not the solution you seek, I think it was pointed many times that you can redirect the folder to another drive with a link... On Windows machine (with ntfs disk drives) it's as simple as creating say "d:\public daz3d" folder and then running from command line (with admin rights):
    mklink /J "c:\users\public\documents\DAZ 3D" "d:\public daz3d"
    (assuming the real DAZ 3D folder wasn't there yet, in such case rename/move it first). From now on all DIM stuff should go to d:\ drive instead of your SSD.
  • BTLProdBTLProd Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

JeanneM said:
    On my main computer I use DS4.6.2.120
    I downloaded the latest version: DS4.6.3.50, not installed yet.
    I don't use Smart Content and I didn't install the CMS so I assume I don't have to bother about this postgreSQL (and don't have to install it either). Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks very much for answering that.

Love, Jeanne :)

CMS is more than just the Smart Content Pane.
    Do you use Autofit? Do you use search in the Content Library Pane? Do you use the Product section of the Content Library?

All of those, and more, mean you use CMS. If you don't use the Smart Content Pane, then updating CMS is significantly easier. Just Install it, reset your database and reimport metadata.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:

Thanks

Metadata and downloads can be placed elsewhere.

But you would still have problems depending on how much stuff you have. In my Users\Public the only things related to DAZ are DIM filters (a few hundred k), manifest files, and thumbnails. The manifest files can grow and grow depending on how much content you install. Downloading thumbnails is entirely optional. In my case I figure about 100 megs per each (manifest and thumb folder) for every 5000 files installed. Just a ballpark figure.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    cwichura said:

Thanks

Metadata and downloads can be placed elsewhere.

But you would still have problems depending on how much stuff you have. In my Users\Public the only things related to DAZ are DIM filters (a few hundred k), manifest files, and thumbnails. The manifest files can grow and grow depending on how much content you install. Downloading thumbnails is entirely optional. In my case I figure about 100 megs per each (manifest and thumb folder) for every 5000 files installed. Just a ballpark figure.

I think you're a tad high. In my case, 4800+ thumbnails and 4600+ installed products totals to about 120 MB between the two directories.

I'm wondering just how small are the SSD drives people are using. The last time I actually sized/played with Windows installs I found anything smaller than 40 GB was a lost cause, and that was late in the XP cycle. I wouldn't touch anything under 120+ GB - and when my laptop showed signs of running out of room, I replaced the internal 160 GB drive with a 240 GB (effective) SSD.

What it boils down to -- all the User\Public from all the DAZ products combined isn't going to hit a gigabyte even if you've purchased and installed everything in the DAZ store (I'm close - 4600+ installed and about another 1600 to install sometime).

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,171
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:

Thanks

As I explained here, in the announcement thread for the release (1.1.0.7) prior to the current one (1.1.0.15), the path for installed manifests and thumbnails can be [independently] configured. The download path has been configurable since before the first public release.

-Rob

• donewsdonews Posts: 51
    edited May 2014

Hello,

I have done a new installation of DAZ.

PostgreSQL works but when I load DAZ, DAZ Content Management Service also start.

Is that service is needed when PostgreeSQL is in use ?

edit : DAZ Content Management Service is loaded by default by Windows 7 after a new installation. So I desactivated it in the Start Menu of the Windows System Configuration panel.

Post edited by donews on
  • Jeanne MJeanne M Posts: 652
    edited December 1969

JeanneM said:
    On my main computer I use DS4.6.2.120
    I downloaded the latest version: DS4.6.3.50, not installed yet.
    I don't use Smart Content and I didn't install the CMS so I assume I don't have to bother about this postgreSQL (and don't have to install it either). Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks very much for answering that.

CMS is more than just the Smart Content Pane.
    Do you use Autofit? Do you use search in the Content Library Pane? Do you use the Product section of the Content Library?

All of those, and more, mean you use CMS. If you don't use the Smart Content Pane, then updating CMS is significantly easier. Just Install it, reset your database and reimport metadata.

Thank you for answering. :)

First of all I don't use DIM on my main computer, everything is downloaded and placed manually in my -customized- content library
    I don't have the metadata installed, I remove the folder "Support" before I place the content in my DS4Content folder
    I don't use Search in the Content Library Pane
    I don't use the Product section of the Content Library
    And for autofit, hmmm I use that rarely. In fact I use DAZStudio primarily for the Genesis stuff, the DAZ horse2 and Big cat 2.(and the dragon 3 of course as soon as I can afford that :) )

I have a rather huge library from the former DS-versions, all placed manually (of course) in my content3 folder so I didn't waist my time to convert all of that. I also have a lot of my Poser runtimes mapped to DS4 so I think you get my point. ;)

On my Test computer I have DIM installed and DS4 -and all the DS content I got over the years- via DIM so there I can see how it works and I have to say.... it works great! Maybe, just maybe, I''ll install DIM on my main computer...... in the future :)

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

donews said:
    Hello,

I have done a new installation of DAZ.

PostgreSQL works but when I load DAZ, DAZ Content Management Service also start.

Is that service is needed when PostgreeSQL is in use ?

edit : DAZ Content Management Service is loaded by default by Windows 7 after a new installation. So I desactivated it in the Start Menu of the Windows System Configuration panel.

Once you install PostgreSQL, PostgreSQL IS your Content Management Service.

Studio works the same as it did before, it just talks to a different program in the background.

Your Studio log file (Help Menu:Troubleshooting:View Log File) shows if you are connected to PostGre or the old one...it should read

Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit (or 32-bit)

• hzrhzr Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Thanks for fixing the bug that was resetting the figure names in the Scene Identification Window. I lost count how many times I had to re-import figures into C4D after some mesh corrections, only to realize that I had forgotten to reapply the Scene Identification name changes :)

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
    edited December 1969

Ever since I installed the newest version of studio and the PostgreSQL neither my Smart Content or fitting some hair to their respective model doesn't work. And while I do not use SmartConent much, I do use the Products list, which is also empty.

I assume there is osmethign I need to do to get it to work as as the CMS service earlier did.. but what? I read the info page but honestly didn't udnerstand a thing :(

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Carola O said:
    Ever since I installed the newest version of studio and the PostgreSQL neither my Smart Content or fitting some hair to their respective model doesn't work. And while I do not use SmartConent much, I do use the Products list, which is also empty.

I assume there is osmethign I need to do to get it to work as as the CMS service earlier did.. but what? I read the info page but honestly didn't udnerstand a thing :(

YOu need to populate the database for PostgreSQL. If you haven't created custom categories, or created metadata, then the easiest thing to do is to reset your database and reimport your metadata.
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
    edited May 2014

Carola O said:

YOu need to populate the database for PostgreSQL. If you haven't created custom categories, or created metadata, then the easiest thing to do is to reset your database and reimport your metadata.

Oh that explains it, I was a bit afraid to do anything before having asked here :) thank you Spooky !

Post edited by Carola O on
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

This version, like the last few versions, still crashes when I attempt to open any of my old .daz scene files. The progress meter gets to 100% and then it gets a memory fault read from zero. This happens with EVERY .daz scene I've ever created. I am using the same data directory I've always been using.

*** Scene Cleared ***
    Opening file King to A5.daz...
    Error setting pointers while reading file C:/Users/cwichura/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/CAW's DAZ Scenes/King to A5.daz : C Exception: Memory Access Violation - Attempted to read memory at address 0x00000000
    File read time: 0 min 8.4 sec.
    Building Scene...
    WARNING: Object::disconnect: No such signal QObject::currentValueChanged() in properties\controllers\dzerclink.cpp:1167
    WARNING: Object::disconnect:  (sender name:   'FBMVoluptuous')
    WARNING: Object::disconnect:  (receiver name: 'Imported ERC Control')
    WARNING: Object::disconnect: No such signal QObject::currentValueChanged() in properties\controllers\dzerclink.cpp:1167
    WARNING: Object::disconnect:  (sender name:   'FBMVoluptuous')
    WARNING: Object::disconnect:  (sender name:   'FBMFantasiaBody')
    WARNING: Object::disconnect:  (sender name:   'FBMFantasiaBody')

edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:
    As I explained here, in the announcement thread for the release (1.1.0.7) prior to the current one (1.1.0.15), the path for installed manifests and thumbnails can be [independently] configured. The download path has been configurable since before the first public release.

Thanks, I missed that before.

Of course, after installing a bunch of stuff, I had to uninstall it all because the 'Recommended' default install location is now in Users/Public as well instead of where the existing content library has always been... Had to make my own entry, since the 'Recommended' entry cannot be edited, and then re-install yet again.

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

A couple of questions about the new CMS. I've noticed that some of my Products are not in the Product folder of the Content library pane after changing databases. I am using PostgreSQL and not Valentina. This is copied from the Log.

Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit
    *** Scene Cleared ***

I don't usually use smart content, just Content Library where I am trying to make my own catagories. An example of this problem is A4 base. It is not in the products or smart content, but is listed as installed by DIM. Is there a way to tell the database to get all the products and import them? I've tried reseting the database and reimporting metadata.
    Also, is there any reason for PostgreSQL and CMS to be running at the same time? How about PostgreSQL running 7 instances in resource manager? With all of this, I should say, I'm running WIN7 64 and the newest version of Studio and DIM
    Gus

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Gusf1 said:
    A couple of questions about the new CMS. I've noticed that some of my Products are not in the Product folder of the Content library pane after changing databases. I am using PostgreSQL and not Valentina. This is copied from the Log.

Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit
    *** Scene Cleared ***

I don't usually use smart content, just Content Library where I am trying to make my own catagories. An example of this problem is A4 base. It is not in the products or smart content, but is listed as installed by DIM. Is there a way to tell the database to get all the products and import them? I've tried reseting the database and reimporting metadata.
    Also, is there any reason for PostgreSQL and CMS to be running at the same time? How about PostgreSQL running 7 instances in resource manager? With all of this, I should say, I'm running WIN7 64 and the newest version of Studio and DIM
    Gus

1) Make sure that the content folder you installed to with DIM is still listed in Content Directory Manager in DS as BOTH "DAZ Studio Format" and "Poser Format". When DIM installed A4 Base it should have created a file named DAZ_3D_5980_Aiko_4_Base.dsx in the Runtime:Support folder you installed it to -- do you have that file?

2) Installing PostgreSQL doesn't uninstall the Valentina CMS or set it not to run. Once you're sure everything is working with PostgreSQL you can uninstall the DAZ Content Management Service or set it not to start automatically. But it won't cause a problem if both are running.

3) There are typically 7 or so instances of Postgres.exe running when DIM or DS is started. Unlike the Valentina CMS it doesn't run all the time, only when DIM or DS is running.

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    This version, like the last few versions, still crashes when I attempt to open any of my old .daz scene files. The progress meter gets to 100% and then it gets a memory fault read from zero. This happens with EVERY .daz scene I've ever created. I am using the same data directory I've always been using.

I've seen this problem with ..daz scenes containing Genesis with clothing, but it isn't new, it happened in one of the early DS4.5 releases. Are you seeing it with .daz scenes that do not have Genesis? Did it only start happening recently for you?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,223
    edited December 1969

Did you run the Valentina to PostgrSQL migration tool? The Products list depends on the CMS as much as Smart Content and Categories do.

edited December 1969

1) Make sure that the content folder you installed to with DIM is still listed in Content Directory Manager in DS as BOTH "DAZ Studio Format" and "Poser Format". When DIM installed A4 Base it should have created a file named DAZ_3D_5980_Aiko_4_Base.dsx in the Runtime:Support folder you installed it to -- do you have that file?

No, that file is not there. The directories are right, I have one for DIM and one for Non-DAZ content. Both are set up as both DAZ AND Poser.

2) Installing PostgreSQL doesn't uninstall the Valentina CMS or set it not to run. Once you're sure everything is working with PostgreSQL you can uninstall the DAZ Content Management Service or set it not to start automatically. But it won't cause a problem if both are running.

3) There are typically 7 or so instances of Postgres.exe running when DIM or DS is started. Unlike the Valentina CMS it doesn't run all the time, only when DIM or DS is running.

This is good to know, there was a post earlier asking about multiple instances, but I didn't see an answer.

edited December 1969

Did you run the Valentina to PostgrSQL migration tool? The Products list depends on the CMS as much as Smart Content and Categories do.

Yes the tool ran when I installed the newest version, and it DID take some time.

Gus

edited December 1969

Try using DIM to uninstall and reinstall the A4 base.

edited December 1969

Try using DIM to uninstall and reinstall the A4 base.

OK, that got those back, with some of them having the triangles, but I've figured out how to deal with them on an individual basis. How do I figure out what else, of the over 3800 products that I have, that I have to do the same with? I'd rather not have to uninstall everything and then reinstall it. I did that once and for some reason had to download them again. It took HOURS and HOURS on a quick internet connection.
    Gus

edited December 1969

You could do a "Search Known Directories" with "Only new items" checked -- then anything that isn't in Products should show up in Categories > Default > Unassigned

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Gusf1 said:
    I'd rather not have to uninstall everything and then reinstall it. I did that once and for some reason had to download them again.

In the DIM installation settings there's an inocuous little tickbox down at the bottom; if you tick it, the installers are deleted after each one is unpacked and installed. It's a good idea if you're a bit low on disc archive storage space or you just don't want to bother keeping them, but it's not such a good idea if you're on a bandwidth-limited internet connection or if you think you're likely to need to re-install a lot. Keeping that local storage is a great time-saver, the files for each item will only be tagged as "ready to download again" if there's an update to that item.

(Note that the installer storage location is a default setting that can be changed if you need to — preferably before you download everything.)

edited December 1969

Gusf1 said:
    I'd rather not have to uninstall everything and then reinstall it. I did that once and for some reason had to download them again.

In the DIM installation settings there's an inocuous little tickbox down at the bottom; if you tick it, the installers are deleted after each one is unpacked and installed. It's a good idea if you're a bit low on disc archive storage space or you just don't want to bother keeping them, but it's not such a good idea if you're on a bandwidth-limited internet connection or if you think you're likely to need to re-install a lot. Keeping that local storage is a great time-saver, the files for each item will only be tagged as "ready to download again" if there's an update to that item.

(Note that the installer storage location is a default setting that can be changed if you need to — preferably before you download everything.)

I have always kept the installers, ( I noticed that check box and have never checked it ) For some reason they just weren't there after the uninstall. I actually have more hard drive space than any 3 computers really need, 13.5 T.
    Gus

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Gave in and installed the PostgrSQL and the migration tool. Where IS the migration tool located? Anyone?

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Gave in and installed the PostgrSQL and the migration tool. Where IS the migration tool located? Anyone?

When you "install" it it actually performs the migration. I think you can also do it within DS.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Well as it turns out the path to the CMS was wrong in the Preferences tab for it so I set it right and then all my Smart Content went poof again. So much work for this....

edited December 1969

cwichura said:

I've seen this problem with ..daz scenes containing Genesis with clothing, but it isn't new, it happened in one of the early DS4.5 releases. Are you seeing it with .daz scenes that do not have Genesis? Did it only start happening recently for you?
    I think it started around the initial 4.6 timeframe. It happens with EVERY old .daz scene I created. Many of those are V4-only (sometimes with multiple V4s), some are one (or more) Genesis, some are a mix of V4 and Genesis.