DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.3.52, General Release, Now Available for Download!

Comments

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited May 2014

Deleted because I didn't get answers, so I prefer ask a diffrent thing

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • donewsdonews Posts: 51
    edited May 2014

Hello,

It seem I installed that new version on an external drive but I have some questions about database management.

Postgree database seems to be installed on the internal C:\ drive at C:\Users\OK\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\cms\ContentCluster. But PostgreSQL is well installed on the external drive.

I don't use Install Manager so how to update the database after create a new categories entry for a new content ?

What is the correct use of Content Database Management panel with the new PostgreSQL database ? Should we Export data and re-import metadata as before ?

I thank you in advance for your answers

---------------------------------------

Todo list for dummies like me (installation on an external drive and never use Install Manager before)

1. Download, install and configure Install Manager (with a special caution to installation paths)

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/userguide/getting_started/start

2. Download from Install Manager :

DAZ Studio 4.6
    PostgreSQL CMS
    PostgreSQL CMS From Valentina CMS Conversion

3. Install these three packages in that order (check installation paths by Show details button)

The conversion script take a while to be installed while it do the job

4. Load DAZStudio

Everything seem to match .. I'm sure a lucky looser ...

Post edited by donews on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

You are lucky Postgre simply doesn't do anything on my computer.

Could somebody tell me where it should show up? filepaths to appdata especially - in my programs folder it's there alongside DazStudio

New version hiccup: File / Save reacts like File / Save as and opens the windows explorer window and I have to repeat the filename

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited May 2014

Kerya said:

New version hiccup: File / Save reacts like File / Save as and opens the windows explorer window and I have to repeat the filename

That behaviour could be intended, as DAZ Studio does not allow to overwrite files of a different author via "Save" for some time, so that you e.g. cannot overwrite store content by accident as user. DAZ Studio checks the file info with your preferences. Just double check if that is the case here?

Post edited by Renpatsu on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited May 2014

Renpatsu said:
    Kerya said:

That behaviour could be intended, as DAZ Studio does not allow to overwrite files of a different author for some time, so that you e.g. cannot overwrite store content by accident as user. DAZ Studio checks the file info with your preferences. Just double check if that is the case here?

Well - it is my own scene (started in an earlier version of Dazstudio) ...
    But even after I saved a new scene in this version it doesn't let me overwrite.

Edit: ok, new installation - I had to enter my authorship info again

Post edited by Kerya on
  • swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Just a quickie,

Can the new PostgreSQL CMS software only be downloaded and installed via DIM.???

Cheers,

S.K.

At the moment: yes ...

Okay thanks,,

I will pass on the whole Postgre SQL thing then...I don't use smart content in any case, so as long as not installing it doesn't mess up the Standard Studio install in any way I am Good.

Cheers,

S.K.

edited May 2014

nvm - Kerya got it corrected as I saw the edit :)

edited December 1969

On my machine a PostgreSQL directory is installed on ..\DAZ 3D directory (the same directory where Content Management Service directory is)

But I have many questions about new database management. For example after installing a content, how to save it in the database. There is two cases : first if there is medadata and second if there is not (old contents).

With CMS I Imported metadata for the first case and exported userdata for the second case.

I don't know how to manage my new contents with PostgreSQL

A documentation about SQL database management would be very useful.

edited May 2014

donews said:
    On my machine a PostgreSQL directory is installed on ..\DAZ 3D directory (the same directory where Content Management Service directory is)

But I have many questions about new database management. For example after installing a content, how to save it in the database. There is two cases : first if there is medadata and second if there is not (old contents).

With CMS I Imported metadata for the first case and exported userdata for the second case.

I don't know how to manage my new contents with PostgreSQL

A documentation about SQL database management would be very useful.

For the operations in DAZ Studio the procedure should be exactly the same in the day to day business, so e.g the Export / Import / Scan menus work as before and just use / fill the PostgreSQL DB now instead of the Valentina DB. The only thing that you need to see about is how to get the data from the Valentina DB to the new PostreSQL DB and this is described in this thread on a few occasions

edited May 2014

I thank you Renpatsu

The old Valentina database seems to be well imported in the new SQL.

But how to manage new content in PostgreeSQL?

For example with CMS :

1. I installed an old V4 character and create a new categories entry. In the past to save my changes, I had to export userdata through the Content database management panel.

2. I manually installed a new G2F package. Metadata adds a new entry in the Smart Content panel. To save that change, I had to re-import metadata.

I don't use categories for modern contents as Genesis or Genesis2. I use them for old contents or contents from others sites

I don't understand how these changes could be save in the new PostgreSQL database.

Post edited by donews on
    edited May 2014

donews said:
    I thank you Renpatsu

The old Valentina database seems to be well imported in the new SQL.

But how to manage new content in PostgreeSQL?

For example with CMS :

1. I installed an old V4 character and create a new categories entry. In the past to save my changes, I had to export userdata through the Content database management panel.

2. I manually installed a new G2F package. Metadata adds a new entry in the Smart Content panel. To save that change, I had to re-import metadata.

I don't use categories for modern contents as Genesis or Genesis2. I use them for old contents or contents from others sites

I don't understand how these changes could be save in the new PostgreSQL database.

Regarding your questions, are you are talking about backing up your data? Because that is about the only time I used the Export functionality. In essence you can use the Export functionality as before. Same goes for re-import of metadata by the by, it still functions as before.

Concerning categorisation, when you create entries in DAZ Studio (e.g. for a V4 outfit if you create a category and then categorise the specific items), they get automatically saved in the applicable database that gets used by DAZ Studio - so if you use PostgreSQL from now on, the data will be in the PostgreSQL DB then.

In the end DAZ switched out the data storage behind the scene, the functionality in DAZ Studio then either uses the Valentina DB or the PostgreSQL DB - depending on whether you installed it or not. So it it should work as it did before.

edited May 2014

If I understand what you explained me, if I Exported Userdata, the changes (new categories entries) are saved in the new PostgreeSQL ? As before in the Valentina base ?

And same when I Re-Imported Metadatas to save new content in the Smart Content panel ? I never use DAZ Install Manager, so I need to do that to manage my database.

That is not clear for me. And I don't find any documentation about the use of the new PostgreSQL database.

----

I tried to use Daz Install Manager to install a new content. The Metadatas are well saved and a new entry appears in the Smart Content tab. May be I should to use it in the future

Post edited by donews on
    edited December 1969

donews said:
    If I understand what you explained me, if I Exported Userdata, the changes (new categories entries) are saved in the new PostgreeSQL ? As before in the Valentina base ?

And same when I Re-Imported Metadatas to save new content in the Smart Content panel ? I never use DAZ Install Manager, so I need to do that to manage my database.

That is not clear for me. And I don't find any documentation about the use of the new PostgreSQL database.

I think there is some misunderstanding here. Exporting user data will not modify / save your data in any of the databases DAZ Studio uses, but rather reads the data from the database behind the scenes (before it used Valentina, now it may use PostgreSQL) and saves that data into several files on your hard disk. Those files on the hard disk are not the DB itself, but only exported user data.

Re-importing then basically takes the metadata files and/or user data on your hard disk and imports this into the DB that DAZ Studio uses - and essentially it does not matter whether it is Valentina or PostgreSQL behind the scene, it still works the same way like it did before. So whatever your workflows were before, continue to use them as you please.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

After downloading the updated DIM, there was an error message during the install - very long and obtuse about something not found. DIM then went and downloaded the new DS, as well as the new CMS.

Went on to install and got "Install failed" on both DS and CMS - the DIM icon vanished from the desktop. Put in a new shortcut icon, still getting "Install failed" for both - DIM version running is 1.1.0.7.

It seams DS 4.6.2.1.120 is still working correctly.

edited December 1969

I thank you very much for your answers Renpatsu. That is becoming more clear for me.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094
    edited December 1969

wwes said:

That worked perfectly! Thank you very much! No more warning triangles and all my user metadata is back. Really noticeable improvement in performance with PostgreSQL so well worth it.

Hmmm. I'm not really seeing any difference. I uninstalled Zone Alarm firewall and went with Comodo. After a few major lock-ups of my whole computer (Mouse and keyboard stopped responding for a while when DS was opening), I finally got DS to open, and got all the new stuff installed with DIM (which has been painfully slow to start lately, too. But I digress.)

If anything, CMS is slower for me now. Which makes me wonder, how do I know that I'm using the new one and not still Valentina?

In the log it will say "Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4". If it just says "Connected to CMS: 4.8" then it's using Valentina.
    Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Log says: Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit
    I guess I'm okay there.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited May 2014

Anyone else getting really slow scene loading times especially if the scene has Skin building on the figure.

Post edited by scorpio on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

So questions about this new database. DIM did install all the components but how does one tell if it's taken over from the older Vallentina or do I have to manually set this up? My data base seems good but can't tell which of the two data base managers are actually in charge.... Thanks much!

• StargazeyStargazey Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Since installing the new CMS a lot of the Smart Content has stopped working (just the ! in a triangle). I've tried restarting the PC, re-importing the metadata etc, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

edited May 2014

RAMWolff said:
    So questions about this new database. DIM did install all the components but how does one tell if it's taken over from the older Vallentina or do I have to manually set this up? My data base seems good but can't tell which of the two data base managers are actually in charge.... Thanks much!

I think there is only one program used. So it seems to me that if PostgreSQL works, Valentina is down.

But I have many interrogations about Content database management. What is the use of UserData_x.dsx files for example ? Or the correct use of Export Userdata function ? I need more explanation about many points.

So I think a documentation would be very useful. I don't find answers on daz3d.com.

I think PostgreSQL is a great progress. I just need some practice and more informations about it.

(One more retail : icons in content panes seems to me nicer than before )

Post edited by donews on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

The UserData_1.dsx file is what is used when you export/import.
    To create it: From the Content Library pane's menu icon, select “Content DB Maintenance” > "export user data". This creates a support folder with file in the first mapped native DS content folder (aka Runtime:support). Back up the file.
    To use a backed-up copy of it: Copy the backed-up UserData_1.dsx into the correct spot within the first mapped native DS content folder (aka Runtime:support) . From The Content Library pane's menu icon, select "Content DB Maintenance" > "Re-Import Metadata...". Press Accept.
    (of course, you'll also need to do other things to get your directory mapping, etc. in addition to doing this database export/import.)

You can determine if you are using PostgreSQL by looking at the log file (it should be mentioned in there), also there are different menu items available for starting/stopping the database but I don't remember which ones off the top of my head.

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

stargazey said:
    Since installing the new CMS a lot of the Smart Content has stopped working (just the ! in a triangle). I've tried restarting the PC, re-importing the metadata etc, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
    I had the warning triangle problem with dozens of items. Although a simpler fix was recommended initially, I couldn't get my custom metadata back that way, so DAZ_Spooky suggested the following sequence. I don't know if you saw it, but it solved all my problems:

This sequence may fix it for you, depending on how corrupt your Valentina database is.

Uninstall PostgreSQL.
    Fire up DAZ Studio (Running Valentina)
    Export UserData by right clicking either the Smart Content Pane, or the Content Library Pane and choosing Content DB Maintenance then checking the box for export User Data.
    Shut Down DS.
    Install PostgreSQL
    Launch DS (Make sure PostGRESQL is running)
    Go to Content DB Maintenance again.
    Reset Database
    Reimport Meta Data with the Userdata Overrides Product Data checked.

Again, depending on the state of your Valentina database, that should recover most, if not all, of your custom data.

edited May 2014

The UserData_1.dsx file is what is used when you export/import.
    To create it: From the Content Library pane's menu icon, select “Content DB Maintenance” > "export user data". This creates a support folder with file in the first mapped native DS content folder (aka Runtime:support). Back up the file.
    To use a backed-up copy of it: Copy the backed-up UserData_1.dsx into the correct spot within the first mapped native DS content folder (aka Runtime:support) . From The Content Library pane's menu icon, select "Content DB Maintenance" > "Re-Import Metadata...". Press Accept.
    (of course, you'll also need to do other things to get your directory mapping, etc. in addition to doing this database export/import.)

You can determine if you are using PostgreSQL by looking at the log file (it should be mentioned in there), also there are different menu items available for starting/stopping the database but I don't remember which ones off the top of my head.

I thank you for your answer.

I am very confused about the behavior of the new PostgreSQL database. But I also think I don't really understood how to rightly manage the old Valentina base.

First let me tell you how I proceed before. I never used Daz Install Manager before this morning. So I always manually installed content packages.

There is two cases : packages with metadatas and packages without metadatas (old V4M4.. files or other sites files).

I installed V4M4 files on a specific runtime and created categories to order them in a confortable way. After installing some of such packages, I run Export Userdata script from Content Database Management panel to save the news entries I have created.

I installed manually DIM packages or executable versions of Genesis ans Genesis 2 content in a specific runtime too. But in that way, metadata are not imported and content appears not in Smart Content pane. To do that, I need to use the Re-Import Metadata script of the Content Database Management panel. I don't use categories for such content and I used Smart Content without modifications.

So I am always between updates of my database by reseting them, first running Export Userdata and second running Re-Import Metadata script. Always in that order while if not, the categories I recently created are not saved in the new database.

It is really a very safe way to manage content, but sure It isn't the best. The advantage is to have always a new healthy database. But there is the only one that my tired brain had found ;)

So, as I understand, the new PostgreSQL database automatically save every categories I created. And I think if I use Daz Install Manager, the metadata of every DIm package are also automatically saved in Smart Content.

So it seems to me I don't need to Export Userdata and to Re-Imoprt Metadata to manage that PostgreSQL database. Is that right ?

And I can periodically save my PostgreSQL database by copying the C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\cms\ContentCluster directory in a safe place.

Pfff .. I don't know if I really understand the behavior of that new PostgreSQL database.

I thank you in advance for your answer.

Post edited by donews on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

If you use custom categories you should still export user data as a back up, otherwise you will get only the default categories after a reset and reimport.

edited December 1969

Resetting the database sounds a bit much to do every time, shouldn't the newly added meta-data just be added without harming the personal categories in there?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    Resetting the database sounds a bit much to do every time, shouldn't the newly added meta-data just be added without harming the personal categories in there?

Yes, you can import metadata without hurting what is there - and we hope that we don't need to reset the database, or at least not as often, as with Valentina. I meant that exporting the user data is a sensible back-up strategy.

edited May 2014

I thank you for your answer.

I meant that exporting the user data is a sensible back-up strategy.

What do you mean by "sensible back-up strategy" ? (My mother tongue is not english)

And I really don't understand something : when you run Export Userdata script, Valentina write the datas in the UserData.dsx file. These datas could be imported by the Re-Import Metadata script with the right option.

But if you run that script, PostgreSQL need also that file or did it write directly the new datas (categories' entries) in his database ?

In a other way : the scripts of the Content Database Management panel (Export Userdata, Re-import Metadata, Reset Database, ...) write now the changes directly in PostgreSQL database ?

It seems to me there are differents scripts (one for Valentina and one for PostgreSQL each time) who have the same name .... The Content Database Management panel seems not change, but it seem contain new scripts for PostgreSQL who have their own behavior ..

Post edited by donews on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Once installed PosterSQL fully replaces Valentina CMS and all the Database menus then work only in the PosterSQL Database just as they should. It is done automatically by DAZ Studio from the settings once PSQL is working.

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited December 1969

This thread is the most confusing and contradictory thing I've ever read. This is not the way for DAZ to introduce a completely new cataloguing system that requires a convoluted install procedure.

I don't use DIM because it is limited and restrictive in relation to manually installing content. Please offer those of us who don't use DIM a clear and definitive explanation about how to install this new update.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

donews said:
    What do you mean by "sensible back-up strategy" ? (My mother tongue is not english)

That means a good or reasonable method of backing up your data (in this case your database) periodically.

(in case of unexpected problems, whether that be hardware failure, software failure, accidental deletion, loss due to theft or a nasty virus, or some unanticipated event that otherwise looses or destroys your current database.) If you export and save your database occasionally, if something horrible happens and you have to start all over, you won't loose everything, you will only loose whatever has changed since the last time you backed up your database.