Missing shadows in reflections

I just did a test scene with a few balls on a beach surface for reflections and such. I noticed that although the quality was impressive... it was missing something. Then I realized the shadows were not being reflected on mirrored surfaces. What could I have done or not done to cause that? My guess is that the HDRI map does not accept shadows. I am using a shader setting someone told me to use to get shadows with HDRI environments. Since they are not normal shadows, would this be why shadows do not show up in reflections?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811

in the reflection part of the shader there is a value for ray depth, default is only 2, crank that up

• TimBoTimBo Posts: 151

Thanks. I set it from 2 all the way to 32 and saw no improvement

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,811

sad

must be some setting we are overlooking

Maybe someone out there knows what to do......

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,832
    edited October 2020

Is that an actual ground, or is it the shadow-catcher from the environment floor?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

Is that an actual ground, or is it the shadow-catcher from the environment floor?

Good call, Richard! 

If this is the issue, just try putting in a small prop to act as the floor and see if that makes a difference - it should.

There is also a ray depth setting in the Render Room, but I think you probably already know that. If none of the above are working, maybe try using Indirect Lighting along with the Sky light and see if that solves it.

I tried a box beneath the spheres and disabled the shadow catcher plane. The shadows did come through and reflected as they were expected to do. But enabling the shadow catcher place removed the shadows. I already was using Indirect lighting and Skylight. I disabled them but it didn't fix the problem of missing shadows.

TimBo said:

I tried a box beneath the spheres and disabled the shadow catcher plane. The shadows did come through and reflected as they were expected to do. But enabling the shadow catcher place removed the shadows. I already was using Indirect lighting and Skylight. I disabled them but it didn't fix the problem of missing shadows.

Perhaps there's a setting in the Shadow Catcher shader that can enable them? If not, you'll have to use something of a prop (or other solid-shader geometry).

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,800
    edited October 2020

mmm

I used a hdri for the background and used grid mesh textured to try and match the hdri image

balls.png
    640 x 480 - 375K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Stezza, nice HDRI, where did you get that one?  I have a lot, but they never look quite right for what I need.  heart Silene

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Stezza said:

mmm

I used a hdri for the background and used grid mesh textured to try and match the hdri image

A good solution, Stezza!  In other words, don't use a shadow catcher if you want reflected shadows.  Just lay down a mesh in the forground that matches the HDR.  Of course, you have to know enough about Carrara to be able to accurately texture that mesh. :)

yes indeed. I'm afraid I don't know that much detail about Carrara. I suppose I will have dig a little deeper myself.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,800
    SileneUK said:

Stezza, nice HDRI, where did you get that one?  I have a lot, but they never look quite right for what I need.  heart Silene

free from this site

HDRI haven... I just play around with the light settings in the background tab where you load the hdr file.. This particular one I upped the intensity to 200% but I have gone up to 400%+ for some.. wink

Just out of curiousity, TimBo, did you have "Catch Global Illumination" and that jazz turned on in the shadow catcher?

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    Stezza said:
    SileneUK said:

free from this site

HDRI haven... I just play around with the light settings in the background tab where you load the hdr file.. This particular one I upped the intensity to 200% but I have gone up to 400%+ for some.. wink

yesheart  SIlene