DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.3.52, General Release, Now Available for Download!

Comments

• DrHemulenDrHemulen Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    DrHemulen said:
    I still have the DIM crashing at 99% install of the new postgreSQL. I have stopped the CMS service before installing.

Nothing works. DAZ crashes with "connecting to CMS". :(

Hmm.. and you did not have the Beta with PosterSQL installed before?

Nope.
    I tried varius combinations of uninstalling from DIM and windows and still no luck. I*m running ZoneAlarm. I tried disabling it, but it didn't hellp.
    I do have 6 instances of postgres.exe running in my process view :-/

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

I am having problems getting this latest version of Daz Studio to run.

When booting it hangs for 12 minutes saying "connecting to CMS" after that it loads in about 2 to 3 minutes.

What AV and Firewall?

Zone Alarm and AVG Free.

edited December 1969

Now DAZ started working, but no smartcontent shows up. Crashes when i press the "start CMS" button.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,059
    edited December 1969

wwes said:
    I am having problems getting this latest version of Daz Studio to run.

When booting it hangs for 12 minutes saying "connecting to CMS" after that it loads in about 2 to 3 minutes.

Same here, using Zone Alarm free firewall and avast av

I don't have it handy, but as I recall Rob posted in the .49 beta thread that Zone Alarm and Postgres do not play well at all - to the point he ended up replacing his home firewall with a different package. And that even shutting Zone Alarm down didn't resolve the issue, an un-install was required.

OK - here it is: Rob's post on ZoneAlarm

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately Zonealarm does not like PostgreSQL. In fact this has been reported to them as early as 2009. Turning it off or disabling it, doesn't solve the issue either.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/40142/P60/#592786
    and
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/40142/P75/#593365

edited December 1969

Unfortunately Zonealarm does not like PostgreSQL. In fact this has been reported to them as early as 2009. Turning it off or disabling it, doesn't solve the issue either.

and

What is PostgreSQL? Can I disable it?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

DrHemulen said:
    Now DAZ started working, but no smartcontent shows up. Crashes when i press the "start CMS" button.
    The PSQL should be running by default. Have you done the Import of MetaData to see if it reads? The first use of PSQL I had to do so myself. After that DIM has kept it properly updated.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Turning it off actually seems to *sometimes* help. I was able to load everything after disabling it, but it doesn't seem terribly stable. Time for another firewall I guess, I'm having other issues with ZA :(

edited December 1969

and

What is PostgreSQL? Can I disable it?

Its the new Database setup to replace the Valentina database used for smart content. You can un-install the Postgres CMS with DIM and Studio will (currently) fall back to the Valentina CMS.

As a former sysadmin, all I can say is that the gang at ZoneAlarm apparently don't care for their customer base; I found complaints about the Postgres/Zonealarm issues going back to 2010. when I went googling.

edited December 1969

and

What is PostgreSQL? Can I disable it?You do not have to Install it. It just replaces the Valentina CMS Database.

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282
    edited December 1969

I'm not having much luck with this.

I installed the new DS, the PostgreSQL, and converter. DS took ages at the connecting to CMS. I was half way through categorising my new purchases when I noticed things missing - my directory structure was there just not some sub directories or content in others. Read this thread. DIM did crash while installing the PostgreSQL, but it seemed to have worked when I went back in. S0 uninstalled the PostgreSQL and Converter, stop CMS, reinstalled - no change. DS took ages at the connecting to CMS stage again. Check list again - I do have ZoneAlarm Extreme Security as my AV. There was an outgoing blocked about the time I installed it, temporarily allowed it. Tried again, took ages to open again - still my Categories were partially empty. Currently I have uninstalled PostgreSQL/Converter and am back on a working Valentina db. I don't use Smart Content but I checked and it only displayed the few thing I had categories before realising there was something wrong. And I never had the Beta installed.

I see more posts since I started typing this - since I have just paid for 2 years of updates of ZoneAlarm Extreme getting something else isn't an option. :-(

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

3Ddreamer said:
    I'm not having much luck with this.

I installed the new DS, the PostgreSQL, and converter. DS took ages at the connecting to CMS. I was half way through categorising my new purchases when I noticed things missing - my directory structure was there just not some sub directories or content in others. Read this thread. DIM did crash while installing the PostgreSQL, but it seemed to have worked when I went back in. S0 uninstalled the PostgreSQL and Converter, stop CMS, reinstalled - no change. DS took ages at the connecting to CMS stage again. Check list again - I do have ZoneAlarm Extreme Security as my AV. There was an outgoing blocked about the time I installed it, temporarily allowed it. Tried again, took ages to open again - still my Categories were partially empty. Currently I have uninstalled PostgreSQL/Converter and am back on a working Valentina db. I don't use Smart Content but I checked and it only displayed the few thing I had categories before realising there was something wrong. And I never had the Beta installed.

I see more posts since I started typing this - since I have just paid for 2 years of updates of ZoneAlarm Extreme getting something else isn't an option. :-(

Uninstall PostgreSQL and keep using Valentina.
  • ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

@Spooky or anyone else who knows,

Should Carrara users hold of on loading the SQL based CMS?

ncamp

edited December 1969

ncamp said:
    @Spooky or anyone else who knows,

ncamp

Good Question... I would like to know myself. My Carrara is my next full install on this PC as I now have the rest set up fully.
  • Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

This sequence may fix it for you, depending on how corrupt your Valentina database is.

Uninstall PostgreSQL.
    Fire up DAZ Studio (Running Valentina)
    Export UserData by right clicking either the Smart Content Pane, or the Content Library Pane and choosing Content DB Maintenance then checking the box for export User Data.
    Shut Down DS.
    Install PostgreSQL
    Launch DS (Make sure PostGRESQL is running)
    Go to Content DB Maintenance again.
    Reset Database
    Reimport Meta Data with the Userdata Overrides Product Data checked.

Again, depending on the state of your Valentina database, that should recover most, if not all, of your custom data.

That worked perfectly! Thank you very much! No more warning triangles and all my user metadata is back. Really noticeable improvement in performance with PostgreSQL so well worth it.
    edited December 1969

HUZZAH!!!! Uninstalling the Postgru worked!!! Now Daz Studio is functioning again!

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,178
    edited December 1969

ncamp said:

Yes. Carrara 8.5 cannot communicate with the PostgreSQL CMS. If you use the smart content features in Carrara 8.5 that rely on metadata and the Valentina based CMS, you will want to hold off on installing this PostgreSQL package. When the PostgreSQL package is installed, Install Manager and DAZ Studio will both prefer to communicate with it... which means nothing you do in either application after installing PostgreSQL CMS will affect the Valentina CMS, and thus Carrara.

I know, the obvious next question. When? The answer to that question is... It isn't a simple undertaking and I will not "promise" a date, especially publicly, that I'm not absolutely positive we can/will meet - which would only be the development side of the equation anyway, and presumes that there are no major hiccups between now and then. We have a timeline that we are working against, but there is too much ground left to cover for me to be comfortable saying anything else at this point.

-Rob

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094
    edited December 1969

That worked perfectly! Thank you very much! No more warning triangles and all my user metadata is back. Really noticeable improvement in performance with PostgreSQL so well worth it.

Hmmm. I'm not really seeing any difference. I uninstalled Zone Alarm firewall and went with Comodo. After a few major lock-ups of my whole computer (Mouse and keyboard stopped responding for a while when DS was opening), I finally got DS to open, and got all the new stuff installed with DIM (which has been painfully slow to start lately, too. But I digress.)

If anything, CMS is slower for me now. Which makes me wonder, how do I know that I'm using the new one and not still Valentina?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

wwes said:

Hmmm. I'm not really seeing any difference. I uninstalled Zone Alarm firewall and went with Comodo. After a few major lock-ups of my whole computer (Mouse and keyboard stopped responding for a while when DS was opening), I finally got DS to open, and got all the new stuff installed with DIM (which has been painfully slow to start lately, too. But I digress.)

If anything, CMS is slower for me now. Which makes me wonder, how do I know that I'm using the new one and not still Valentina?

In the log it will say "Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4". If it just says "Connected to CMS: 4.8" then it's using Valentina.
    Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    So I'm trying to use the ConnectionURI setting in the cmscfg.json and while it's working (DAZ Install Manager creates the database, and even populates it, albeit VERY slowly), starting up DAZ Studio itself is agonizingly slow.

Among other things, it looks like it's doing a commit for every single insertion, instead of committing after a collective unit of work has been done.

It also looks like it inserts into a table all the entries in every directory you select in the Content Library (not smart content) folder, which is interesting, but combined with the previous issue, very, very slow...

There are ways to do bulk inserts that will speed up not just folks like me using ConnectionURI, but also local access. It's typically MUCH faster to do a large unit of work, and then commit at the end, than to commit every single action. That doesn't seem to be the extent of it, but I can't figure out why it seems to be issuing commands so slowly over the larger network... I'm sitting on a psql prompt, issuing 'SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity;' regularly, and watching as commands slowly come in. My psql prompt is acting MUCH faster than the DAZ queries and inserts seem to be, and it's over the same pipe.

I'm using ConnectionURI as follows:

{
            "ConnectionURI" : "postgresql://superuser:[email protected]/dazcms"
    }

If I do the same thing, but to localhost:

{
            "ConnectionURI" : "postgresql://superuser:password@localhost/dazcms"
    }
    it's much, much faster. Now I know that's a 'duh', but it's faster _beyond_ what would be expected of not having to reach out across the wide internet.

I'm running on my work computer, which sits on a big pipe to the Internet, and on the day before Memorial Day weekend, which means ain't nobody else using my bandwidth. :)

Anyhow, any suggestions or ideas to speed it up would be welcome. I feel like it's being a bit too chatty right now, but that's my only real guess.

I'm importing metadata into it now, and it took 20 seconds to import the 'Gothic Ruins', and 1m35s to import the Multiplane Cyclorama. As I watched the commands come through from the psql console, I was even more confident that it's issuing them one at a time, and committing every operation.

I'm going to let it run, figuring...what the heck, it's got the entire long weekend to import metadata. :)

-- Morgan

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

Hi,, now I need to re- install valenttina CMS seriously ^^;
    I just uninstlall postgre sql ,then re-install ds 4.6 again.
    but it seems not install valentina CMS,, how can I re-install valentina CMS?

Now I have alraedy un-install postgere-sql.

edited December 1969

Hi,, now I need to re- install valenttina CMS seriously ^^;
    I just uninstlall postgre sql ,then re-install ds 4.6 again.
    but it seems not install valentina CMS,, how can I re-install valentina CMS?

Now I have alraedy un-install postgere-sql.

There's a stand-alone installer for Valentina CMS in C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\DAZ3DIM1\cms

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

I'm okay so far. I installed PostGre then the new Studio. Then I uninstalled Valentina CMS and wiped out its data folder. Studio loads up fine and log says it's connected to PostGre. Smart Content is blank as I expected (didn't run converter because Valentina was corrupt).

Now I have to import metadata (almost 6000 products UFDA)

My question is this (without going into detail as to why) can I 'hide' metadata (by deletion or renaming 'support' folder) from the re-import metadata function? or has the metadata been copied and hidden away somewhere so this won't work?

edited December 1969

Spit said:
    I'm okay so far. I installed PostGre then the new Studio. Then I uninstalled Valentina CMS and wiped out its data folder. Studio loads up fine and log says it's connected to PostGre. Smart Content is blank as I expected (didn't run converter because Valentina was corrupt).

My question is this (without going into detail as to why) can I 'hide' metadata (by deletion or renaming 'support' folder) from the re-import metadata function? or has the metadata been copied and hidden away somewhere so this won't work?

No, that's exactly correct, move the files out of the Runtime:Support folder and they won't be seen when you re-import metadata.

edited December 1969

Spit said:

No, that's exactly correct, move the files out of the Runtime:Support folder and they won't be seen when you re-import metadata.

Or, after Studio makes the list of products that will be imported you can de-select the ones you don't want to process.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Great! Thanks!

Or, after Studio makes the list of products that will be imported you can de-select the ones you don't want to process.

That's what I'm trying to avoid. Whew. But thanks anyway.

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Just a quickie,

Can the new PostgreSQL CMS software only be downloaded and installed via DIM.???

Cheers,

S.K.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Just a quickie,

Can the new PostgreSQL CMS software only be downloaded and installed via DIM.???

Cheers,

S.K.

At the moment: yes ...

• Rayman29Rayman29 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Has the render dimensions/focal length problem been fixed?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I am giving up - Postgre simply doesn't want to run on my computer ...
    I uninstalled DS, Postgre and cleaned out folders in Programs and Appdatam, reinstalled ... nothing.
    There is a folder Postgre in my DAZ 3D folder in programs, but it simply refuses to run.
    This is getting boring.
    *sigh*