DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.3.52, General Release, Now Available for Download!

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited May 2014

will this new cms be compatible with genesis in carrara8.5?

am i reading this correctly, there is no manual d/l and install? in which case, n/m the 1st question

i didn't see a d/l option for ogreCms. :bug: will the new DS build work with my current CMS?

Yes, if you don't install the PostgreSQL CMS CD will continue to use the Valentina CMS.

thanks.

hoping they fixed that white-out aoa brickyard thing.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited May 2014

namffuak said:
    barbult said:
    Is there a recommended order to install the items? DS, PostgreSQL, then Conversion, for example?

I'm paranoid, so take this with a grain of salt -

Fire up the current version of Studio and export your user data.
    Shut Studio down
    Install the new Postgres CMS
    Install the new Studio
    Optional - change the location of the Postgres database -
    Shut down DIM
    Start Studio
    Content Library -> preferences -> stop CMS (technically not required - but see 'paranoid' above)
    Edit -> preferences -> Right-most tab (CMS Settings)
    Make note of current cluster location for cleanup
    Enter preferred path to CMS Cluster in Cluster Directory
    Click 'accept'
    Content Library -> preferences -> start CMS
    Shut down Studio
    Start DIM
    Install the Postgres CMS conversion utility - note that the 'install' is actually doing the conversion, so expect it to take a while
    I tried this process, because I don't want my database on my SSD. However, when I finally ran the conversion, it "installed" instantly, so I guess it didn't work. Any hints on how to fix this?

My DAZ Studo log file contains the line "Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit", so that sounds like the PostgreSQL is installed OK.

The path that entered in preferences for my CMS Cluster directory was created and has a ContentCluster with lots of folders and files. In there is a dblog.txt that says (among other things):
    "LOG: autovacuum launcher started
    FATAL: role "Barb" does not exist
    LOG: received smart shutdown request"

Barb is my username on this computer.

I am running on Windows 7 64 bit. I upgraded from 4.6.2.120 and did NOT previously have the PostgreSQL beta installed.

Post edited by barbult on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:
    Mattymanx said:
    To install manually, I unpacked it and then ran the bat file found in the one folder. After that I manually moved the folders to their location based on how they were packed.

If that is all you did... PostgreSQL may be "installed", but you are still connecting to Valentina. The bat file only runs an installer for Microsoft runtime components. It does not make the necessary changes that allow DAZ Studio (or Install Manager) to actually communicate with PostgreSQL.

-Rob

Right you are. Thank you for pointing that out. I did get it running but it ran about 7 instances of it. However, apon further testing I see its not going anythign extra for me since I dont use Smart Content. Everything runs as it needs to with me without so... oh well.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    namffuak said:
    barbult said:
    Is there a recommended order to install the items? DS, PostgreSQL, then Conversion, for example?

Shut Studio down
    Install the new Studio
    Shut down DIM
    Start Studio
    Content Library -> preferences -> stop CMS (technically not required - but see 'paranoid' above)
    Click 'accept'
    Shut down Studio
    Start DIM
    Install the Postgres CMS conversion utility - note that the 'install' is actually doing the conversion, so expect it to take a while

I tried this process, because I don't want my database on my SSD. However, when I finally ran the conversion, it "installed" instantly, so I guess it didn't work. Any hints on how to fix this?

Check the location you specified for the database - you should have a 'ContentCluster' directory and it should contain a number of files. One of them is dblog.txt which may give some information. I will say that the first time I tried the conversion on my main system it ran for about 6.naught seconds because the Valentina CMS was corrupted. (Oh - and the Valentina CMS must be running for the conversion to work . . .)

Also - make sure your firewall is not blocking access to Postgres (that CMS settings screen shows what port will be used).

You should see multiple instances of postgres running in the task manager 'processes' tab when DIM or Studio are running - they go away when both are shut down. If you don't see them its probably a firewall issue.

edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    barbult said:
    namffuak said:
    barbult said:

Shut Studio down
    Install the new Studio
    Shut down DIM
    Start Studio
    Click 'accept'
    Shut down Studio
    Start DIM

Check the location you specified for the database - you should have a 'ContentCluster' directory and it should contain a number of files. One of them is dblog.txt which may give some information. I will say that the first time I tried the conversion on my main system it ran for about 6.naught seconds because the Valentina CMS was corrupted. (Oh - and the Valentina CMS must be running for the conversion to work . . .)

Also - make sure your firewall is not blocking access to Postgres (that CMS settings screen shows what port will be used).

You should see multiple instances of postgres running in the task manager 'processes' tab when DIM or Studio are running - they go away when both are shut down. If you don't see them its probably a firewall issue.
    Thanks for replying to help me! I think we cross posted while I was adding some details to my previous plea for help. I do have the ContentCluster and the log shows problems as I posted above while you were replying. I do have several postgres processes running in the task manager while DS is running. They go away, as you said, when DS are closed.

Does the error in the log give you any clues? It says

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,180
    edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    Did the PostreSQL installation change from the latest public build or may I just ignore that installation in DIM now?

If you installed it with the public beta you don't need to install it again, it's the same.

Currently that is true... but it is likely to change at some point. So, it is important to understand that the PostgreSQL CMS packages are built such that they will only allow one instance of PostgreSQL CMS to be installed via Install Manager at a time. You can download and install the current General Release package and it will handle uninstalling the Public Build package before [at the beginning of] installing itself. If you then later decide to install the Public Build package (i.e. a future update), it will uninstall the General Release package before installing itself.

-Rob

edited December 1969

UPDATE on my troubles:
    I uninstalled the Conversion then made sure DAZContentManagementService was Running in the task manager services list. Then I installed the conversion again with the DIM. It is now installing very slowly, so maybe it is working...

I started up DS again after the install finished. YES!! I think it is fixed. Smart Content is there. Categories are there. Products are there.

Thank you for helping, namffuak. I think maybe ContentManagementService wasn't running the other time??

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

Everything installed on my end without issues, the search feature is fast, way faster than before. Nice job.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,180
    edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:

So, DAZ, does this mean I can not install, and use this Public Release version that I have been waiting for, because I don't use the DIM system?

Will this new version run without this new PostgreSQL CMS?

Why are you not offering a stand alone installer for the new CMS?

I would very much like to install, and use this new version.

You can download and install the DAZ Studio 4.6.3.50 General Release standalone installer from the Product Library, which does not include the PostgreSQL CMS [but does still currently include the Valentina CMS], and you can benefit from all of the changes listed in the first post / change log... except for those that mention PostgreSQL.

Without the PostgreSQL package installed [and configured correctly], DAZ Studio will still attempt to connect to and communicate with Valentina the same way it did with the previous versions; i.e. via the Content Management Service. If the service is not running, DAZ Studio will operate in the same way it did in previous releases when the CMS is not available.

A standalone installer for the PostgreSQL CMS is being actively investigated. That does not mean that one will, or that one will not, be made available at some point... it simply means that we are investigating how/whether a standalone installer can be provided - one that will install the files to the appropriate locations, with the permissions required to allow everything to play nicely together. Permission handling with the standalone installers is more difficult to deal with than it is with Install Manager; i.e. when something doesn't work the way we want it to in Install Manager, we can change it so that it does; when something doesn't work the way we want with the standalone installers, we have to either find ways around it [if possible] or we have to wait for support and/or updates from a third party.

We would like for everyone to be able to install and use this new version.

edited December 1969

barbult said:

Thanks for replying to help me! I think we cross posted while I was adding some details to my previous plea for help. I do have the ContentCluster and the log shows problems as I posted above while you were replying. I do have several postgres processes running in the task manager while DS is running. They go away, as you said, when DS are closed.

Does the error in the log give you any clues? It says

These seem to be normal - at least I get them also.

So - the install worked, Studio and DIM can connect, so no firewall issue. Which means - you seem to have a corrupted Valentina CMS if it was running when you tried the migration. The quick fix is to fire up Studio, pick either the smart content or the content library options menu, select content DB maintenance, and re-import your metadata. This is a whole lot faster than doing an import on Valentina - tens of minutes, not hours anyway.

Check services and see if the DAZ Content Management Service (Valentina) is running; if so, de-install and re-install the migration tool. If it still runs in seconds you're down to the re-import process.

For the record, my laptop test system seemed to have smart content running correctly - but the migration ran in seconds. After I re-built the Valentina DB (reset/reimport) the migration ran for about 6 minutes (slow system, 450 items).

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    UPDATE on my troubles:
    I uninstalled the Conversion then made sure DAZContentManagementService was Running in the task manager services list. Then I installed the conversion again with the DIM. It is now installing very slowly, so maybe it is working...

I started up DS again after the install finished. YES!! I think it is fixed. Smart Content is there. Categories are there. Products are there.

Thank you for helping, namffuak. I think maybe ContentManagementService wasn't running the other time??

Glad to hear this!

Apologies for the slowness - I'm on a dial-up connection at home :-( and, more importantly, it was supper time. :-)

edited December 1969

I'm still kind of confused about this new CMS.

So how do I know that it is really using the new CMS and not falling back on Valentina?
    Is there some "Valentina" thing I should uninstall?
    Is DAZContentManagementService still supposed to be running in Task Manager services?

edited December 1969

barbult said:

So how do I know that it is really using the new CMS and not falling back on Valentina?
    Is DAZContentManagementService still supposed to be running in Task Manager services?

If you see postgres processes in task manager then Studio is using the new CMS. Also, you can look at the DAZ Studio log - if it says "Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL" just before the '**** Scene Cleared **** " line you're using the new CMS. And, if you go to Content Library and click on the options menu - and you see 'Stop CMS' and 'Start CMS' as selectable items you're connected to Postgres.

And you can stop the DAZ ContentManagement Service any time now - Studio isn't using it any more (Carrara still is, if you use Carrara).

There should be an uninstaller for the Valentina CMS in your DAZ 3D available programs list.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

I have a corrupted Valentina CMS and recently discovered it's probably because there's two of them. Thinking about it I suspect it happened when, over a year ago, I reset and uninstalled it then reinstalled with the installer that was in the DIM's folder. Then perhaps Studio installed one the next time I updated?

Anyway, obviously I have no plans for the new postgreSQL thing to convert from Valentina and intend to import metadata through studio instead.

I just checked and there's an uninstaller in the DIM directory and there's also one in the Start Menu. If I'm right they're pointed to two different locations.

Can I uninstall them both before installing the new one, then install the new Studio?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You can install PostgreSQL and DS first, just don't download the conversion. Then uninstall the old CMS.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

You can install PostgreSQL and DS first, just don't download the conversion. Then uninstall the old CMS.

Will do. Thanks!

Off to sleep--want to actually DO this when I'm wide awake. ;)

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    edited December 1969

I was noting the fixes for the interactive tutorials, which is a really great feature by the way, and I was wondering if the problem I am having with one of them has been addressed. Basically, when I start the Sci Fi Warrior Interactive Tutorial an intro window appears just like with the other ones, but this one's Continue button is below the bottom of the DAZ Studio interface, making it inaccessible. I am unable to continue with the tutorial in the normal manner. The thing is that the intro window has no way to be moved so that everything is accessible. My monitor screen is a 16" diagonal wide screen aspect ratio (16:9) on a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS. I have not yet tried to download and install the latest build of DAZ Studio. I do have the latest build of DIM already up and working correctly. I really need that problem with the Interactive tutorial mentioned resolved, as I am trying to learn as much as I can concerning the Light Presets that are included with many products. I have been one to create and edit my own lighting for my scenes, because I can get them looking like I want. I create my lighting for the project at hand, and do not save them as Light Presets. There are enough presets included with the DAZ Studio Content.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Well, that seemed trouble free, I don't use the CMS or Smart Content so it makes no difference to me which version of that is running. Obviously I'll do more when I have my new machine up and running. Mind you, knowing me, there will probably be another version of DS out before that happens, LOL!

CHEERS!

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

I like the new duplicate feature

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

I just downloaded the PostgreSQL CMS package (installed Studio 4.6.3.50 yesterday) and the Conversion package. I can see that PostgreSQL is working (from Studio log), but I thought the conversion tool installed too quickly and most content in Studio Content is showing "!" in the yellow triangle.

When I look at "installed" in DIM it says package size 830 bytes, installed size "unknown". Uninstall button says 0 bytes. This cannot be right, can it? I "uninstalled" and deleted the package, but in Ready To Download the package size is still 830 b.

edited May 2014

I just downloaded the PostgreSQL CMS package (installed Studio 4.6.3.50 yesterday) and the Conversion package. I can see that PostgreSQL is working (from Studio log), but I thought the conversion tool installed too quickly and most content in Studio Content is showing "!" in the yellow triangle.

When you run DAZ Studio or DIM you should see a postgres.exe in your processes in Task Manager. Then you know it is really running.

Can't say much about the Yellow "!" I have the black theme setup, maybe that's why I am not seeing that.

OK, now I see what you mean about the Yellow "!", you mean to say the icon warning on the Smart Content tab. I see that on some of my own, like the Epic Wings and Genesis Genitals, but most have their own thumbnail icons. When you click on one, are you shown the contents pertaining to that product? When I click on Epic Wings I see the correct content show up.

When I look at "installed" in DIM it says package size 830 bytes, installed size "unknown". Uninstall button says 0 bytes. This cannot be right, can it? I "uninstalled" and deleted the package, but in Ready To Download the package size is still 830 b.

Do you mean the PostreSQL CMS From Valentina CMS Conversion? If so, yes, I see that too on my end. I would say that is correct.

Post edited by nDelphi on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited May 2014

Question: OK, first time installation with DIM ... never used CMS, but had it running in the background ...
    I installed DS, Postgre and the conversion thingie ...

Now my logfile says
    Connected to CMS: 4.8
    *** Scene Cleared ***

Is that ok or not????

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited May 2014

Kerya said:
    Question: OK, first time installation with DIM ... never used CMS, but had it running in the background ...
    I installed DS, Postgre the conversion thingie ...

Now my logfile says
    *** Scene Cleared ***

Is that ok or not????

On my end it says:

Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit
    *** Scene Cleared ***

Did you install the PostgreSQL CMS (Win 64-bit) or PostgreSQL CMS (Win 32-bit) itself?

Post edited by nDelphi on
    edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    Kerya said:

Now my logfile says
    *** Scene Cleared ***

Is that ok or not????

On my end it says:

*** Scene Cleared ***

Did you install the PostgreSQL CMS (Win 64-bit) or PostgreSQL CMS (Win 32-bit) itself?

Yes, I did - PostgreSQL CMS (Win 64-bit) is installed, there is a folder PostgreSQL CMS in the same folder where my DAZStudio4 folder is.

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

nDelphi said:

When you run DAZ Studio or DIM you should see a postgres.exe in your processes in Task Manager. Then you know it is really running.

Can't say much about the Yellow "!" I have the black theme setup, maybe that's why I am not seeing that.

OK, now I see what you mean about the Yellow "!", you mean to say the icon warning on the Smart Content tab. I see that on some of my own, like the Epic Wings and Genesis Genitals, but most have their own thumbnail icons. When you click on one, are you shown the contents pertaining to that product? When I click on Epic Wings I see the correct content show up.

Do you mean the PostreSQL CMS From Valentina CMS Conversion? If so, yes, I see that too on my end. I would say that is correct.

Thanks, nDelphi. Yes I did mean the Valentina to PostgreCMS conversion. OK, so that is not the problem, then.

I see that nearly all the warning flagged content icons have the text title below it beginning with "(2):" e.g. "(2): AsheShirt" which looks like they are duplicates. However, most cases only the "duplicate" icon appears, and not the original.The path for these items is relative and not absolute, e.g. "Path : Clothing/umblefugly/Ashe/AsheShirt.duf". All the working links are absolute (they start with D:/Users/ etc.). Lot's of content cannot be found in Content Library by search (even file search) but I can manuall navigate to the item in the directory tree.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this mess?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    nDelphi said:
    Kerya said:

Now my logfile says
    *** Scene Cleared ***

Is that ok or not????

On my end it says:

*** Scene Cleared ***

Yes, I did - PostgreSQL CMS (Win 64-bit) is installed, there is a folder PostgreSQL CMS in the same folder where my DAZStudio4 folder is.

If you open the Content Library option menu (the button in the top corner, or right-click the tab) are the Start CMS and Stop CMS options both greyed out? If so PostgreSQL isn't working properly, or at all.

edited December 1969

nDelphi said:

Thanks, nDelphi. Yes I did mean the Valentina to PostgreCMS conversion. OK, so that is not the problem, then.

I see that nearly all the warning flagged content icons have the text title below it beginning with "(2):" e.g. "(2): AsheShirt" which looks like they are duplicates. However, most cases only the "duplicate" icon appears, and not the original.The path for these items is relative and not absolute, e.g. "Path : Clothing/umblefugly/Ashe/AsheShirt.duf". All the working links are absolute (they start with D:/Users/ etc.). Lot's of content cannot be found in Content Library by search (even file search) but I can manuall navigate to the item in the directory tree.

Anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this mess?

It's drastic, but if you are using PostgreSQL you should still have your Valentina database as a backup, so you might try resetting the database and reimporting metadata from the Content DB Maintenance dialogue in the Content Library option menu.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    nDelphi said:
    Kerya said:

Now my logfile says
    *** Scene Cleared ***

Is that ok or not????

On my end it says:

*** Scene Cleared ***

If you open the Content Library option menu (the button in the top corner, or right-click the tab) are the Start CMS and Stop CMS options both greyed out? If so PostgreSQL isn't working properly, or at all.

They are both greyed out ... now what?
    I uninstalled Postgre through DIM and installed again ...
    no changes.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

barbult said:

LOok at your DAZ Studio log, it says what database it is using near the beginning of your session. :)
    edited May 2014

Kerya said:
    Kerya said:
    nDelphi said:
    Kerya said:

Now my logfile says
    *** Scene Cleared ***

Is that ok or not????

On my end it says:

*** Scene Cleared ***

They are both greyed out ... now what?
    I uninstalled Postgre through DIM and installed again ...
    no changes.

Are you sure you are using the updated DS? What firewall do you have - I believe that Zone Alarm is a problem.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on