DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Release Candidate] - version 4.6.3.49!

DAZ_BrianDAZ_Brian Posts: 345
edited May 2014 in Daz Studio Discussion

DAZ 3D is pleased to announce the next public version of the DAZ Studio Pro BETA - version 4.6.3.49!

What is a Release Candidate?

A Release Candidate is a BETA version that has the potential to replace the current General Release, unless significant "show-stopper" caliber bugs emerge. A Release Candidate suggests that a General Release is relatively close.

What is a BETA?

Despite our best efforts, DAZ 3D cannot possibly test the software under all possible conditions. So, we are providing a version of the application to the general public in order to uncover problems that were not discovered during internal/private testing. We expect that there will still be problems and we hope that when users encounter any problems, they will report them to the Bug Tracker so that they can be validated, prioritized and fixed.

As with any software classified as being in the BETA phase of development, you should expect to encounter bugs. Any bugs you do encounter while using BETA software can vary in terms of severity, from minor features that do not work correctly to problems that cause your computer to crash. Before choosing to use BETA software for production purposes, you should decide whether the benefit of new features and bug fixes provided by the BETA version outweighs the risk of instability you may encounter.

Another Public Build, so soon?

Yes. We want to provide access to builds that fix issues you may have encountered in the General Release, earlier and more frequently. Obviously we realize that there are users who don't have an interest in using BETA software (see above). However, we also realize that there are many who are willing to use BETA software in order to gain access to fixes and/or new features, earlier.

Public Build, BETA, what is the difference?

Public Build is a release channel. BETA is a phase of development.

DAZ Studio is distributed through four separate channels; Production, Public Build, Private Build and Dev. The Production channel is where the General Release build is distributed and is open to the general public. The Public Build channel is where the builds that are not considered stable yet are provided for testing by the general public; this channel typically provides a build that is in the BETA phase of development, but technically can provide a build in the ALPHA phase. The Private Build channel is similar to the Public Build channel, except it is limited to a select group of individuals that serve as the "front line" or the "canary in a coal mine" for a time before the build is promoted to a less restricted channel; this channel is more likely to see an ALPHA build than the Public Build channel is. The Dev channel is for a much smaller group of individuals; this channel provides "bleeding edge" ALPHA builds; sometimes referred to as "nightly", although the builds are not limited to one per night nor to strictly occurring at night.

Will this Public Build replace the General Release?

While builds in the Public Build channel do eventually replace the build in the Production channel, the existence of a public build does not preclude builds that are currently in the Private Build channel from replacing the General Release before one in the Public Build channel does. One of the reasons we provide a Public Build channel is to gain broader coverage of the various fixes/additions. Sometimes fixes/additions in the Public Build channel are validated more quickly than others and can be integrated into the Production channel while the remaining, more risky, changes are allowed to "bake" a while longer.

What is new in this version? Do I need to update my copy?

The 4.6.3.49 version resolves many issues and implements many improvements since the 4.6.2.120 General Release. More detail on specific fixes/changes/improvements can be found in the Change Log, which can be viewed online within the Documentation Center portion of our site. All new downloads of the DAZ Studio Pro BETA product (SKU: 12000) will be of this version.

Public BETA 2 - Release Candidate (4.6.3.49) highlights are:
1) Fixed PostgreSQL CMS package permission issues on Mac; also required a fix to Install Manager to prevent launching PostgreSQL server with [elevated] permissions (see thread)
2) Fixed PostgreSQL CMS package 'not found in zip' error on Mac
3) Added support for custom PostgreSQL CMS connection strings; defined via “ConnectionURI” member in cmscfg.json; when defined (and valid), the string is used to make a connection to an arbitrary PostgreSQL instance; the string must use Connection URI syntax (see 31.1.1.2 Connection URIs); the PostgreSQL instance must be compatible with 9.3.x; the citext module must be installed on the target database or the user must have sufficient permission to install the “citext” module; the user must have sufficient privileges to create and delete schema/tables/functions/types/indexes etc in the connected database
4) Added a Import Metadata from Valentina script to the Built-In content
5) Updated FBX library to 2014
6) Fixed #DS-29 : Fixed an issue with Photoshop 3D Bridge scene preview/updating
7) Fixed #DS-445/CS166167: Fixed DForm preset save to write in the correct order
8) Fixed #DS-417/CS164508: Fixed a crash when unpinning an IK node with no chain
9) Fixed #DS-394: Renaming facet groups doesn't update in Joint Editor
10) Fixed #DS-390: Shader Mixer Normal Map brick throwing errors
11) Fixed #DS-446: Interpolation on subdivision UVs
12) Tweaks to the Barefoot Dancer Interactive Lesson
13) Fixed an issue where an Interactive Lesson would not always advance when view frame was clicked on Mac
14) Fixed support of 'display' instructions, within a 'dialog' instruction, in an Interactive Lesson
15) Fixed support of instructions defined as 'optional', within a 'dialog' instruction, in an Interactive Lesson
16) Improved Interactive Lesson handling of a DzStyledButton that has a menu and is used like a combobox
17) An Interactive Lesson can now target a specific value for DzStyledButton with a menu; causes all other options in the menu to be disabled
18) Fixed an issue with Dynamic Cloth install scripts not properly handling files on Mac
19) Fixed interdependency issues with Dynamic Cloth install scripts
20) Fixed undo of Character Preset materials
21) Fixed an issue with duplicate when a parented figure is following the same skeleton
22) Changed the default rotation order for newly created DForms, primitives, and imported geometry; provides a more intuitive property experience
23) Fixed #DS-475 : Fixed an issue with node names saved in user-facing files not being respected
24) Fixed #DS-462/CS167212 : Fixed a crash when a geometry shell targets a geometry shell
25) Fixed #DS-483/CS168212 : Fixed an issue where bones weighting a single vertex were not accumulating correctly
26) Fixed an issue with losing HD detail on seam edges when a Geo-Grafted figure is fit to a target figure
27) Fixed the 'Delete Hidden Facets' action to preserve HD detail on remaining edges
28) Fixed respecting of hidden facets when projecting
29) Added a 'Merge Into Selected' option to the Node Weight Brush tool, Weight Maps view context menu; in the Tool Settings pane when the Node Weight Brush tool is active
30) Improved the re-labeling logic in Joint Editor when changing rotation order
31) Fixed an issue with custom modifiers writing source information incorrectly
32) Fixed rigidity related action placement in the Geometry Editor context menu; facet vs vertex
33) Updated default layout files; menus, current action list
34) Fixed action label 'New Push Modifier Weight Node...'
35) Updated default styles to include icons for a Push Modifier Weight Node in a scene view, and the New Push Modifier Weight Node... action
36) Updated Create menus; Main Menu Bar > Create; Scene pane > Option Menu > Create
37) Added a 'Remove From Categories (Unassigned)' option to the Categorize dialog; removes reference to all currently assigned categories and assigns to the Unassigned category
38) Added a Show In > Products option to the Content Library file view context menu
39) Added a Convert Figure to Prop action; Main Menu Bar > Edit > Figure > Rigging; Scene pane > Option Menu > Edit > Rigging; Joint Editor tool > Context Menu > Edit
40) Added a Bake To Transforms action; Main Menu Bar > Edit > Figure, Parameters > Option Menu, Posing > Option Menu; expands upon and replaces the functionality provided by the Morphforms To Transforms script
41) Added support for dropping images on mappable properties to set their map
42) Implemented #DS-477 : Added Shadow Color and Shadow Intensity properties to default light types
43) Added pre-install script handling of cross-sku package conflicts for Photoshop 3D Bridge, GoZ and DSON Importer for Poser; only one channel package should be installed via Install Manager at any given time
44) Fixed an issue where the Install Manager package finalize script could sometimes cause a QtXml.dll not found error
45) Updated Qt framework to 4.8.6
46) Added operating system enumerations for Windows 8.1 and Mac 10.9 (Mavericks) to DzApp

Public BETA 1 (4.6.3.29) highlights are here.

Has the Content Management Service (CMS) been improved?
Yes, it has. The existing Valentina based service is still included and supported, however a new PostgreSQL based service is proving itself to be much more stable and much less prone to the data corruption issues that many have experienced in the past. The new PostgreSQL based service has also proven to be somewhat faster.

With this new solution, there is no longer a need to start a service that runs in the background. Normally, the PostgreSQL server starts when the application starts and stops when the application stops; unless another application, like Install Manager, is connected to it - in which case it will stop when the last application connected to it closes. Explicit control to start the service is provided via an action [in the Content Library pane option menu] and a button [in the Smart Content pane] without ever needing to leave the application. Explicit control to stop the service is also provided via an action [in the Content Library pane option menu].

To help get you up and running with the new PostgreSQL service, we've added a separate package in Install Manager that will automatically migrate any existing data from your Valentina database; you simply install it after the PostgreSQL server is installed. We've also included an "Import Metadata from Valentina" script with the Built-In content. The amount of time required to migrate the data will vary depending on the amount of data you have and your system specs.

*Note: The PostgreSQL CMS and the data conversion package are not available as a standalone installers. They must be downloaded and installed using Install Manager. While the PostgreSQL server is installed, Install Manager will not install any data to the Valentina database.

What is the Application Improvement Program about?
It's about improving the DAZ Studio user experience. Support tickets and bug reports provide important clues as to the needs of you the customer, but they are only hints. This improvement program will allow us to to "see" how the features of DAZ Studio are actually performing and where users are getting hung up.

If you choose to participate in the program, the statistics we will collect are anonymous and contain no personally identifiable information. We respect your right to privacy. That said, if you choose not to participate, we respect that too.

We encourage you to participate. In doing so, your use of the application will have a greater influence on where we focus our efforts.

Has the Genesis Starter Essentials, the Genesis 2 Starter Essentials (Male/Female), or the Default Lights and Shaders packages been updated too?

No, the Genesis Starter Essentials, Genesis 2 Starter Essentials or Default Lights and Shaders packages provided with the product have NOT been updated beyond what is currently available with the General Release.

*Note: Install Manager users are notified of product updates when they occur.

How do I get the latest version?

If you have previously added the DAZ Studio Pro BETA product to your account, launch Install Manager, log into your account and type "DAZ Studio * Public Build" into the filter field to filter out anything else. Then simply download and install as you would normally.

*Note: The current version of Install Manager has a new Public Build download filter that is disabled by default. You must enable this download filter to see packages in your Ready to Download list that are tagged PublicBuild.

Optionally, you can locate, download and install the BETA from the Product Library [once you are logged into your account] by entering "DAZ Studio Pro BETA" into the text field near the top left of the page and clicking the "Filter" button, or by clicking here. Then, simply click the "download & install" button.

If this is your first time downloading DAZ Studio Pro BETA, simply follow this link, click the "Add to Cart" button on the page and then follow the checkout process.

*Note: This BETA version is not available as a standalone installer. It must be downloaded and installed using Install Manager. This does not impact the General Release, which will be made available through Install Manager as well as a standalone installer.

Can I have the General Release and the BETA installed at the same time?

Yes! You can have both the General Release and a Public Build (as well as a Private Build, for those involved in that endeavor), of the same major version, installed at the same time. Please be aware that the settings for each of the builds are stored independent of each other. This includes mapped content directories, layout, style and style colors, among many others.

What about the plugins I have?

The DAZ Studio 4.5 SDK has not changed in any way that causes it to be binary incompatible, which means that any plugins created for a previous version of DAZ Studio (4.5.0.114+) should continue to load and function with this build. That said, as with any new release, there is always the possibility that a plugin has had bugs fixed or features added, so the latest versions should be downloaded and installed if they are provided.

Plugins that are currently built/produced by DAZ 3D will provide a separate package specifically intended for the Public Build. 3rd party plugins that DAZ 3D creates install packages for will be updated to allow simultaneous installation into the General Release and the Public/Private builds. These packages will display as "Product Updates" within Install Manager once they have been updated.

Is there any documentation?

Yes. Check out the User Guide and QuickStart Guide that we've posted in the DAZ Studio 4.x Documentation section.

Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Just installed the RC, noticed immediately the icons in Daz content library no longer have the little text bubble that tells you the file eg. "scene", "Wardrobe", "Material", "Prop" etc. I really loved those, so handy lol

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

Did you isntall the PostgreSQL database, and if you ddi did you migrate the Valentina database or reimport the metadata - for the latter to work with your own scenes you'd need to export user data from the production build first.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited May 2014

Yes I installed the PostgreSQL, I have done the Export User Data from the last release (non beta), Then re-imported Metadata ensuring User Data was checked. I did restart the computer and was out of luck :( I tried again, and even un-installed and reinstalled Daz beta(RC now) and the PostgreSQL. Again I was out of luck. Not sure why the icon overlays aren't showing... Its not just my own stuff, its everything I own in the runtime. Saving a scene in RC also doesn't bring back the icon overlay.

Is only minor issue, everything appears to be in its place, all the content is there at least, I just really liked the feature and became accustomed to it haha! Is almost reminiscent of Daz 4.0 in content library tab now lol

EDIT
    All is solved, Many thanks Jaderail, Skiriki and Richard. As it turned out, firewall was blocking PostgreSQL from running, I noticed in the troubleshoot log that PostgreSQL was failing to get access "postgres create new db error: could not connect to server: Connection refused" "Error connecting to CMS" and that when attempting to re-import metadata it was running for a mere 12 secs. After running that the error log listed all the contents of my runtime with the line "could not be located"

Once we looked into those logs, it had become the clear the firewall was the cause. After allowing PostgreSQL in firewall, I reset database and re-imported all the meta data and user data. Things are returning to normal again and the Log now shows its all connecting successfully and no files are "could not be located". So glad is sorted :)

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Installed the new RC without any problems, everything works stable.

The new shadow intensity and shadow color options for the default lights are nice, however I can not imagine a situation where I could use them :-) I hope that we get even more options with the default lights, like fall off controls, which would be much more useable.

In the changelog there are also some changes for the Photoshop Bridge. Does it work with Photoshop CC now? Anyone tried it yet?

• lcattus_9716520438lcattus_9716520438 Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

This release fixed the problem I was having with accessing my created content in the previous pro beta version – thanks! ]

I really like the beta so I’d like to use it for a project but first I’d like to know what will happen when I install the next production release. Will it try to migrate my old production CMS to postgre or will it just use my beta postgre CMS?

Bottom line what’s the best way for me to ensure that content created in the beta version isn’t lost when I migrate to the next production version?

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Got the new beta and it's modules installed. Starts up lickety–split! WOW Plus that strange black box that would appear as the older beta was starting is no more. YAY!

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

The behaviour of having the icon displayed while dragging something from the content library to the viewport, can this be disabled? It is quite obstructing the view when you want to aim the drop point via alt key (the target circle is hard to spot then).

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    The behaviour of having the icon displayed while dragging something from the content library to the viewport, can this be disabled? It is quite obstructing the view when you want to aim the drop point via alt key (the target circle is hard to spot then).
    This is so not Needed I have to agree, I use Target load often. Please tell me this function can be turned off and I just do not as yet know how to do so.
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    The behavior is inconsistent, could you please file a bug report on it. It only happens on some drag and drop loads and not others. It took me loading several products before I found one that did what you are describing. I have since found several, but they are in the minority, so this feels like a bug.
    edited May 2014

Renpatsu said:
    The behavior is inconsistent, could you please file a bug report on it. It only happens on some drag and drop loads and not others. It took me loading several products before I found one that did what you are describing. I have since found several, but they are in the minority, so this feels like a bug. I can confirm it is Sporadic but it appears most of my Save Subsets for characters are doing it. As I do comic style work or graphic novel style work having this occur on them is a real pain.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Renpatsu said:
    The behavior is inconsistent, could you please file a bug report on it. It only happens on some drag and drop loads and not others. It took me loading several products before I found one that did what you are describing. I have since found several, but they are in the minority, so this feels like a bug.
    I can confirm it is Sporadic but it appears most of my Save Subsets for characters are doing it. As I do comic style work or graphic novel style work having this occur on them is a real pain.Actually we found a consistency on it this morning.

If it is at the top of the Smart Content (either file or product view) or the Content Library View and doesn't require scrolling down to get there, then it drags the icon. If the scroll bar has to be moved to see the product, it doesn't get the icon dragged.

We are looking into it.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Actually we found a consistency on it this morning.

If it is at the top of the Smart Content (either file or product view) or the Content Library View and doesn't require scrolling down to get there, then it drags the icon. If the scroll bar has to be moved to see the product, it doesn't get the icon dragged.

We are looking into it.

Thanks :) I won't file a bug report then for now. If you need any further input (guinea pig ;) ) just let me know :)

edited December 1969

Nice Info. Thank you for the heads up.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited December 1969

Has any work been done to fix the smoothing bug, where the saved state is not restored when a scene is reloaded? This still happens consistently in 4.6.2.120:
    1) Load an item (e.g. Darkwoods Heroine clothing) that loads with Smoothing set to OFF.
    2) Turn Smoothing ON.
    3) Save Scene.
    4) Close Scene,
    5) Reopen the saved Scene.
    6) Observe that smoothing for that item is OFF, even though the scene was saved with smoothing for that item ON.

I wrote a bug report about this smoothing problem back in the Mantis days, and again in the new Help Request days (#165732), but I'm not receiving any updates to indicate whether it is being addressed. It really messes up a scene when it doesn't reload exactly the way it was saved. Clothing that used to fit now has poke through, because the smoothing state was not properly restored. Darkwoods Heroine is an example of clothing that suffers this smoothing error. Jewell Hair is another one.

edited May 2014

barbult said:
    Has any work been done to fix the smoothing bug, where the saved state is not restored when a scene is reloaded? This still happens consistently in 4.6.2.120:
    1) Load an item (e.g. Darkwoods Heroine clothing) that loads with Smoothing set to OFF.
    2) Turn Smoothing ON.
    3) Save Scene.
    4) Close Scene,
    5) Reopen the saved Scene.
    6) Observe that smoothing for that item is OFF, even though the scene was saved with smoothing for that item ON.

I wrote a bug report about this smoothing problem back in the Mantis days, and again in the new Help Request days (#165732), but I'm not receiving any updates to indicate whether it is being addressed. It really messes up a scene when it doesn't reload exactly the way it was saved. Clothing that used to fit now has poke through, because the smoothing state was not properly restored. Darkwoods Heroine is an example of clothing that suffers this smoothing error. Jewell Hair is another one.

Yes we have the bug on it, which is in the tracker. Yes, we have looked at it.

Unfortunately the fix breaks compatibility for scene files, for versions of DS before the fix, which we would prefer to avoid. And since it only happens if the asset is saved with a smoothing modifier and is saved with a different setting (on or off) from how the asset was saved, it hasn't happened yet.

(Saving a scene with the smoothing setting the same as the asset was saved, or with a smoothing modifier that is added to an asset that didn't have a smoothing modifier in the first place, works correctly.)

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the status update on the smoothing bug and the explanation of when it occurs. I do hope you find a workable fix.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited May 2014

Hi thank you many up-date.:lol:

then to use new Actions ,Do I need to change my customized layout as daz offered default layouts once,,
    Or is their easy way to keep my layout (customized short cut, icon etc)
    with adding new added actions?
    (nowdays I do not use import or export actions etc,, I do not know the clear way about these in customize layout window)

eg Bake to trasfroms, I understand the usage,, but at current I think I must need to change layout to citylimits
    (Or other daz offer base ayouts shoud work,)
    or Once I need to re-make original layout from daz offer basic layouts then save as new my default?

If I need it,, Can I import all original icons in toolbars of my old orignal layout1 to the new layout?

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

There is an "Update and Merge Menus" script to add the new features to your existing layout.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

Ah,, thank you. Mike ^^
    (now I manually serched and added action,,) So tha I may just need to run script on current layout,
    when I download new beta etc?

edited December 1969

Ah,, thank you. Mike ^^
    (now I manually serched and added action,,) So tha I may just need to run script on current layout,
    when I download new beta etc?
    One thing about that script, do not make it a custom action. LOL. It gets confused as it tries to replace itself (and crashes.) And you only need to run it if things don't show up, or show up wrong. WE don't always add tools to the interface. LOL
  • martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

Any estimated time for this version to become like a general release?

edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    I would say "S :vampire: :vampire: N" but you guys would probably start throwing rocks. LOL.
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

Found a bug for AniMate2:
    With a 2 monitor configuration, the AniBlocks Folders can not be selected via the pop-up menu on the second monitor. Moves you Animate 2 at the main screen, everything is ok ...

edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    I would say "S :vampire: :vampire: N" but you guys would probably start throwing rocks. LOL. Palm tosses a rock a few times, I thought I heard a bad word? No? Okay then...
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    gilikshe said:
    I would say "S :vampire: :vampire: N" but you guys would probably start throwing rocks. LOL.
    Palm tosses a rock a few times, I thought I heard a bad word? No? Okay then...You might check Install Manager. LOL.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    gilikshe said:
    Palm tosses a rock a few times, I thought I heard a bad word? No? Okay then...You might check Install Manager. LOL. I just got up!!! No Fair. It was not time to Boot DIM yet. LOL!! Got me but good..
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Jaderail said:
    gilikshe said:
    Palm tosses a rock a few times, I thought I heard a bad word? No? Okay then...
    You might check Install Manager. LOL. I just got up!!! No Fair. It was not time to Boot DIM yet. LOL!! Got me but good..Note we are still waiting for the PostgreSQL to be added to people's accounts, those of you using PostgreSQL with the Beta, are already using it. :)

There will be the official notice shortly. :)

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Jaderail said:
    gilikshe said:
    Palm tosses a rock a few times, I thought I heard a bad word? No? Okay then...
    You might check Install Manager. LOL. I just got up!!! No Fair. It was not time to Boot DIM yet. LOL!! Got me but good..Note we are still waiting for the PostgreSQL to be added to people's accounts, those of you using PostgreSQL with the Beta, are already using it. :)

There will be the official notice shortly. :) And there it is. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/41482/

• donewsdonews Posts: 51
    edited May 2014

Is there any problem with customized categories and postgree ? Everything is safe ? And to create and to organize new categories with postgree is as easy as CMS ?

Post edited by donews on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

donews said:
    Is there any problem with customized categories and postgree ? Everything is safe ? And create and organized new categories with postgree is as easy as CMS ?

Yes, as long as your Valentina DB isn't corrupt, it all gets transferred to the PostgreSQL DB.