Albert Mansion

Comments

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234
    kyoto kid said:

...still most other interior assests used would need to be an extremely close match, and this has a fairly distinctive appearance. 

I did read the comments below in the link and yes, there apparently are no, nor any plans for, interior settings as future updates.  I would expect a model of a structure used for a game would include such whether as part of the primary model itself or as separate meshes so continuity would be preserved.  This could be qute a setting for a game sceario in and of itself, then again, I am not a game developer just a 3D still image artist, so I do not know all the "ins & outs" of the process.

If it had just empty unfurnished room spaces, I would find it an instant sale even at double the price. as I've been waiting years to see a large older mansion/manor house for Daz to use in my stories.  Ah well.

Well Dekogon isnt a game developer, they seem to just making assets.  And they have to stop somewhere.  They cant commit to making entire level designs.

A high quality game studio will have legions of staff and art directors to make assets from scratch that are consistent with each other. Doubt such developers are going onto the unreal marketplace to buy up prefabricated environments.  The dekogon assets seem more like they are directed at hobbyists or perhaps very niche/small time developers.  And beggars cant be choosers!

For old manor houses, there are several interior assets in Daz store that could match tonally with this exterior.  Stonemason's library comes to mind and Harwood House.  Im sure there are others.

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,303
    3Diva said:
    AllenArt said:
    3Diva said:
    xyer0 said:
    3Diva said:

Does anyone know what the symbols/glyphs are that are on the door and columns? Anyone know what those are or where they're from? I don't buy anything with writing on it unless I know what the symbols are.

They are sigils (used to summon demons or fallen angels---called "occult," "alchemical," or "hermetic" for the profane). These look like combinations or "spells."

...Someone purposefully put "spells" and sigils that are meant to summon demons on a product to be sold to the masses? Wow. Pass.

They are on with decals. You can turn them off in the surfaces tab, which is what I intend to do ;)

Laurie

To me, it doesn't matter if it's removable, the fact that someone thought that was a good idea to put on there... I wouldn't want that on my computer, nor would I want to encourage stuff like that in the store. I won't condone it with my purchase. Easy pass.

I can respect your position on this. I don't have an issue with what is in this particular model, but there ARE some things that I simply refuse to support that others would ridicule me for (smoking related materials and poses, for instance), but that's MY call.  We each have things that "don't work for us" and I respect you having a principled stance and being strong enough to stick to it and I appreciate that you aren't clamoring for EVERYONE to boycott it, or trying to get it removed, etc. Respect.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552
    3Diva said:
    xyer0 said:
    3Diva said:

Does anyone know what the symbols/glyphs are that are on the door and columns? Anyone know what those are or where they're from? I don't buy anything with writing on it unless I know what the symbols are.

They are sigils (used to summon demons or fallen angels---called "occult," "alchemical," or "hermetic" for the profane). These look like combinations or "spells."

...Someone purposefully put "spells" and sigils that are meant to summon demons on a product to be sold to the masses? Wow. Pass.

it was a post apocalyptic mansion that can be used for games that was ported to DS, not created specifically for DS or this community. Since it's decals it probably also used some special effects when used in the game engine. To be fair there are plenty of occult styled items in the store already.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    3Diva said:
    AllenArt said:
    3Diva said:
    xyer0 said:
    3Diva said:

They are on with decals. You can turn them off in the surfaces tab, which is what I intend to do ;)

Laurie

To me, it doesn't matter if it's removable, the fact that someone thought that was a good idea to put on there... I wouldn't want that on my computer, nor would I want to encourage stuff like that in the store. I won't condone it with my purchase. Easy pass.

Typically, those symbols would be painted on the outside of dwellings to ward off evil rather than summon it.  

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I am not religious so demons don't bug me. The mansion looks nice, but I don't have enough Graphic Card to render it. 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Here it is with no symbols and no skulls. Took about 5 minutes to hide it all :)

Albert Mansion.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 842K
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575

You didn't happen to save a preset, did you?

- Greg

Here it is with no symbols and no skulls. Took about 5 minutes to hide it all :)

lilweep said:

quick everyone uninstall the decals in case your computer summons a demon

That's not really funny. :(

Laurie

Personally the skulls and runes are a bit "world of warcraft" to me. I like subtle horror, so I'd be chucking those anyway.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,315
    edited October 2020

I  was going to get until  DAZ took away all the good deals I had in my cart with it. Now I'm just going to put it on my wishlist until someday when I can get it for 70% or more off.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022
    3Diva said:
    xyer0 said:
    3Diva said:

More probably spells to repel demons and protect the house.

Leana said:
    3Diva said:
    xyer0 said:
    3Diva said:

more probably?

I think people can author their own interpretation, but with the skulls etc, I think the mise en scene screams 'this house has been overrun by demonic backwater hillbillies'

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022
    lilweep said:
    Leana said:
    3Diva said:
    xyer0 said:
    3Diva said:

more probably?

I think people can author their own interpretation, but with the skulls etc, I think the mise en scene screams 'this house has been overrun by demonic backwater hillbillies'

Well that could work too ;)

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,305
    lilweep said:
    kyoto kid said:

...still most other interior assests used would need to be an extremely close match, and this has a fairly distinctive appearance. 

I did read the comments below in the link and yes, there apparently are no, nor any plans for, interior settings as future updates.  I would expect a model of a structure used for a game would include such whether as part of the primary model itself or as separate meshes so continuity would be preserved.  This could be qute a setting for a game sceario in and of itself, then again, I am not a game developer just a 3D still image artist, so I do not know all the "ins & outs" of the process.

If it had just empty unfurnished room spaces, I would find it an instant sale even at double the price. as I've been waiting years to see a large older mansion/manor house for Daz to use in my stories.  Ah well.

Well Dekogon isnt a game developer, they seem to just making assets.  And they have to stop somewhere.  They cant commit to making entire level designs.

A high quality game studio will have legions of staff and art directors to make assets from scratch that are consistent with each other. Doubt such developers are going onto the unreal marketplace to buy up prefabricated environments.  The dekogon assets seem more like they are directed at hobbyists or perhaps very niche/small time developers.  And beggars cant be choosers!

For old manor houses, there are several interior assets in Daz store that could match tonally with this exterior.  Stonemason's library comes to mind and Harwood House.  Im sure there are others.

This has an interior that is also historical, so may work with this set:

https://www.daz3d.com/antebellum-mansion

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

“Damn." Spyder opened his shirt and looked at his chest. "I have a lot of ink on me. Geometrics. Tribal work. Religious geegaws."
    "Any runes or symbols?"
    "A shitload."
    "And do you know the meanings of all those runes?"
    "'Course. Some. In a Trivial Pursuit kind of way. They're just designs."
    "So says the man covered in demon blood." The woman moved closer to Spyder. "Did it ever occur to you that those symbols have meaning and power?"
    "Where? How? I've done a thousand tattoos like that on people."
    "Some of them are probably going to have a dream date like the one you just had." She laid her hand over his heart. "You don't believe in demons, but you believe in magnetism, right? These symbols you put on your body, like the Bitru's sigil, these are a kind of magnetism. You don't have to understand how they work. The demons do."
    -- "Butcher Bird", Richard Kadrey

AllenArt said:

lilweep said:

Laurie

it's funny to me that people could think presenting basic tropes and themes in set design is a tacit endorsement of those things being presented.

edited October 2020
    lilweep said:
    AllenArt said:

lilweep said:

Laurie

it's funny to me that people could think presenting basic tropes and themes in set design is a tacit endorsement of those things being presented.

Well, it's how she feels about it and if it bothers her, she's entitled. TBH, I'm not that crazy about it myself, but I'll just remove all that crap and then resave the set without it.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Haven't been buying much lately but this caught my eye.  Reminds me ALLOT of the "Haunting Of Hill House" mansion.  I looked for the settings for "clean" and "haunted" or what have you but coudln't see anything.  Do the doors open, IS there an interior like walls and floors and staircases?  

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677
    lilweep said:
    AllenArt said:

lilweep said:

Laurie

Set designers often include items which they explicitly endorse in their sets. This is quite common. Which is not to say that this is the case here.

But those who've had no supernatural experiences cannot imagine why others take it so seriously.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited October 2020

I used my new PC+ $6 DO coupy on it yes

I see it as vandal's and squatter's graffiti much of which is satanic etc, are weirdos living there using illegal substances and committing crimes

including murder going by the skullssurprise

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,562
    RAMWolff said:

Haven't been buying much lately but this caught my eye.  Reminds me ALLOT of the "Haunting Of Hill House" mansion.  I looked for the settings for "clean" and "haunted" or what have you but coudln't see anything.  Do the doors open, IS there an interior like walls and floors and staircases?  

@RAMwolff No, there is no "clean" option. You have to go into the material settings and turn off the decals, ropes and skulls. It doesn't take very long.

The doors do not open and there is no interior whatsoever.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

I like it, but I do kinda wish it had been a not only a clean version, but one with unbroken windows etc. It's in my wishlist for now, will see when and if I end up getting it :)

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606

The preview renders are like Stonemason's and the house looks like something that would fit in with his other sets.

Right Kevin. I also thought when I first saw it Jack Tomalin might be behind this creepy mansion.

Great work whoever did it. Maybe they could give us an interior or perhaps more decrepit buildings in the neighbourhood.
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    3Diva said:
    AllenArt said:
    3Diva said:
    xyer0 said:
    3Diva said:

Laurie

Wow. Actually, I'd like to see MORE of that kind of stuff. Anything with an edge.

I remember the TV station sent me out to film an exorcism back when I was living in Hong Kong. THAT was wild!

As long as the symbols can be turned off, that's all that matters.
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    RAMWolff said:

@RAMwolff No, there is no "clean" option. You have to go into the material settings and turn off the decals, ropes and skulls. It doesn't take very long.

The doors do not open and there is no interior whatsoever.

Ah, I think I'll pass on this one then.  I'm sure the sales will be good enough for this but since I'm in Poser these days converting all that stuff over will be a nightmare anyways.  Thanks for the feedback! 

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    xyer0 said:
    lilweep said:
    AllenArt said:

lilweep said:

Laurie

Set designers often include items which they explicitly endorse in their sets. This is quite common. Which is not to say that this is the case here.

But those who've had no supernatural experiences cannot imagine why others take it so seriously.

Some graphics assets available online that are labeled "occult" or "tribal" also include symbols from living religions that are meaningful to real people, so I generally don't buy products like this if I can't identify the source of a symbol or its inspiration (which in this case looks fine).

I am disappointed that the same texture is on every column and the repetition is very noticeable. It could have been remedied or made less noticeable by simply rotating each column by a different degree, which obviously wasn't done - too bad. Otherwise, the model is very nice.

Laurie

I picked it up. I am told render times are cut in half by changing the water shader to something more murky...

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250

Yeah, I likd the basic structure too. A pity about no rigged doors, but I'm used to kitbashing. A bit annoying that going at it with the gometry editor might be needed to avoid obvious repetitions, but I can do that too. Ar worst there are shaders.

Actually, I may end up with shaders anyway if 3DL converters turn out to be a wash. 

• tsarist said:
    3Diva said:
    AllenArt said:
    3Diva said:
    xyer0 said:
    3Diva said:

Wow. Actually, I'd like to see MORE of that kind of stuff. Anything with an edge.I remember the TV station sent me out to film an exorcism back when I was living in Hong Kong. THAT was wild.

As long as the symbols can be turned off, that's all that matters.

I agree, I would love to see more of stuff like this to make it super authentic. I can only imagine how insane filming an exorcism was! Damn. Like seventy-five percent of me would be all in without thinking twice, camera ready and the other twenty-five percent would be like uh....this totally isn't a bright idea, let's hope for the best lol.