Albert Mansion

1235»

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited October 2020
    j cade said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Sevrin said:

For under USD 14 (with PC+) I think it's fine, if it suits your theme, and probably worth the time spent tweaking if it's just a little off.  Other than Vicky with no clothes on, I don't think there's anything Daz sells that's appropriate for absolutely every render.

Managed do create a Clean version - hope it's ok to post the Material preset

That looks nice, although you see the problem with all the columns looking the same even more with a clean version.

...I wonder if you could use a different shader on each or are all the columns a single material zone?

They're 1 mat zone... you could always go into the geomety editor and create new matzones for them. But I prefer to avoid that as the any previously made material presets leave the new matzones blank and it annoys me

Thus alternate uvs

...thank you, was sort of on the fence after Lothar posted his "clean" materials preset, but the using the geometry editor can be a fairly tedious process on items like this, particularly having to get to the backsides as I'd have to turn off visibility for the rest of the model.  Not far enough up the learning curve yet for creating UVs in a modelling programme. 

The other thought is a kitbashing solution:  zeroing out the opacity on the columns and using ones from a different set that would have their own individual material zones.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713
    edited October 2020
    kyoto kid said:
    j cade said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Sevrin said:

For under USD 14 (with PC+) I think it's fine, if it suits your theme, and probably worth the time spent tweaking if it's just a little off.  Other than Vicky with no clothes on, I don't think there's anything Daz sells that's appropriate for absolutely every render.

That looks nice, although you see the problem with all the columns looking the same even more with a clean version.

...I wonder if you could use a different shader on each or are all the columns a single material zone?

They're 1 mat zone... you could always go into the geomety editor and create new matzones for them. But I prefer to avoid that as the any previously made material presets leave the new matzones blank and it annoys me

Thus alternate uvs

Daventaki said:
    j cade said:

I agree with the columns looking a bit repetitive but it looks fantastic otherwise so blender to the rescue! now I have some alt uvs 

some things I do realy like about the set 

Its pretty well optimised. The foliage in particular is some really convincing low poly foliage. I 100% plan to use it a bunch in all sorts of scenes

Its organized nicely. I love groups. having the lights all in a nice group so you can turn them on and off with a click is nice. I am a fan. I do wish the occult stuff were in its own group so that would also be one click to turn on and off, but its still not hard to so since there are lots of materials: 30 seconds rather than 1 second. I can live

aestetic crows! aestetic crows on a dilapidated building! Is there anything better in this world?

real quick render showing off the new uvs and the file if you want to try them out and make sure I set up the file structure correctly

(also the columns with either uv set use a tiling texture so if it would be very easy to switch in something with less cracks)

I got so excited for this forgot this noob don't know how to do this.  So will someone be so kind to explain how to get the new UV map on the Mansion?

you instal them as you would any other zip

and then you select the mansion go to the materials tab and there should be a new uv set that you can switch to. (easiest way to get to it is to type "uvs" in the material editor tabs search bar) 

..thank you was sort of on the fence after Lothar posted his "clean" materials preset, but the geometry editor can be real tedious on itemslike this, particularly trying to get to the backsides as I'd have to turn off visibility for the rest of the model.  

another way could be to create a morph in Hexagon by rotating two of the pillars opposite ways 90° and a third 180°

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    kyoto kid said:
    j cade said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Sevrin said:

Thus alternate uvs

Daventaki said:
    j cade said:

I agree with the columns looking a bit repetitive but it looks fantastic otherwise so blender to the rescue! now I have some alt uvs 

Its pretty well optimised. The foliage in particular is some really convincing low poly foliage. I 100% plan to use it a bunch in all sorts of scenes

Its organized nicely. I love groups. having the lights all in a nice group so you can turn them on and off with a click is nice. I am a fan. I do wish the occult stuff were in its own group so that would also be one click to turn on and off, but its still not hard to so since there are lots of materials: 30 seconds rather than 1 second. I can live

aestetic crows! aestetic crows on a dilapidated building! Is there anything better in this world?

real quick render showing off the new uvs and the file if you want to try them out and make sure I set up the file structure correctly

(also the columns with either uv set use a tiling texture so if it would be very easy to switch in something with less cracks)

I got so excited for this forgot this noob don't know how to do this.  So will someone be so kind to explain how to get the new UV map on the Mansion?

and then you select the mansion go to the materials tab and there should be a new uv set that you can switch to. (easiest way to get to it is to type "uvs" in the material editor tabs search bar) 

..thank you was sort of on the fence after Lothar posted his "clean" materials preset, but the geometry editor can be real tedious on itemslike this, particularly trying to get to the backsides as I'd have to turn off visibility for the rest of the model.  

another way could be to create a morph in Hexagon by rotating two of the pillars opposite ways 90° and a third 180°

...wouldn't you still have to get around the backside of the columns to select the hidden polygons?

kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:
    j cade said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Sevrin said:

Thus alternate uvs

Daventaki said:
    j cade said:

...wouldn't you still have to get around the backside of the columns to select the hidden polygons?

Hexagon not my actual modeller of choice but I think you can select a loop and ring and grow a mesh selection like I would in Carrara.

I might look at it later and see if I can create a morph if nobody else does first.

• kyoto kid said:
    j cade said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Sevrin said:

Thus alternate uvs

...thank you, was sort of on the fence after Lothar posted his "clean" materials preset, but the using the geometry editor can be a fairly tedious process on items like this, particularly having to get to the backsides as I'd have to turn off visibility for the rest of the model.  Not far enough up the learning curve yet for creating UVs in a modelling programme. 

The other thought is a kitbashing solution:  zeroing out the opacity on the columns and using ones from a different set that would have their own individual material zones.

If the columns are not welded to the rest of the house then you could just select one polygon on the column, then ctrl * (cmd * for mac) to select all connected polygons. If they are connected you could select one polygon and use ctrl + to grow the selection until it had all of the columns plus soem other geometry, then in the Tool Settings pane click the - next to the surfaces that you didn't want to chnage and that would fairly quickly leave you with just the column selected to assign to a new surface group.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294
    edited October 2020
    kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:
    j cade said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Sevrin said:

Thus alternate uvs

Daventaki said:
    j cade said:

Assuming the columns are not welded to the rest of the model then using "Select Connected" should allow you to select all the relevant polys without needing to actually paint over each one.

EDIT: Aagrh Richard has already suggested that, my fault for not reading the posts ahead

Post edited by Havos on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,310
    thd777 said:
    tsroemi said:
    thd777 said:
    tsroemi said:

Now I'm completely confused ... See I took the whole mansion into Hexagon, selected all those mat groups like especially all the broken glass groups, chose the associated objects and deleted them, but the broken edges stayed. If they are in the MI_Glass_01a group for example, shouldn't they have been deleted in Hexagon? Because now those groups are gone after reimport to DS and I'm left with the stupid edges ... :-( But I'm probably being stupid and not seeing the obvious somehow.

Hm. No need to go to Hexagon. You can either just set the opacity to zero as described above or use the Geometry Editor in DS to select the Glass by surface and then set visibility to off. Here is the front door area with the glass set to zero opacity.

Ciao

TD

I see, I was being overly complicated then! Thanks, I'll do it that way.

Well, it should work by going to a modeler like Hexagon, too. From your description, it sounds like you just deleted the material surfaces in Hex but not the actual geometry. That's why you still see it DS. At least that's my guess.

Ciao

TD

Actually, the confusing thing is that this method worked perfectly on the skulls and bones and the ropes and the vines and all these, deleting the proper geometry and not just the material zones. There must be something else going on with those jagged glass edges. But anyways, as long as they're that simple to hide I won't bother much anymore with trying to delete them.

...I've been learning Blender since 2.83 as it is much more stable.  If something is welded can it be "unwelded" (still on the learning curve)?. 

@ Wendy,  I do have Carrara just haven't played a lot with its modelling functions. May have to check that out, however the only difficult part is there is no Daz - Carrara bridge like Hexagon and (now) Blender have.

kyoto kid said:

...I've been learning Blender since 2.83 as it is much more stable.  If something is welded can it be "unwelded" (still on the learning curve)?. 

@ Wendy,  I do have Carrara just haven't played a lot with its modelling functions. May have to check that out, however the only difficult part is there is no Daz - Carrara bridge like Hexagon and (now) Blender have.

yeah we know crying

I use obj in morphloader 

Carrara is just easier than Hexagon for me to work with, I am very familiar with it, most the tools overlap just different ways of using them.

Many prefer other softwares including Blender, use whatever works for youyes

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Thanks @j cade and @WendyLuvsCatz thats why it wasn't working because of the file structure.

edited October 2020

...well went ahead and putit in the cart as I discovered the Lovin-Plat coupon works on new items as well so only cost me 10$ and change. I have a number of different Iray concrete and stone shaders so If I can get each column converted into it's own material zone I can use and rotate those to make each one a bit different.  It is a nice example of "Georgian" architectural style which was common for British mansions and manors.

• Sad there is no clean version without the damage and occult stuff. Not that it bothers me...it's actually quite cool. The night image of the couple and car in front of the house lead me to belive there was a clean version, but upon closer inspection it does indeed show all the damage etc, so my bad for not looking closely enough. I'm going to return it, as it does nothing for me, but it is very good quality and a lot of people will get a lot of use out of it, I'm sure.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,218
    kyoto kid said:

...well went ahead and putit in the cart as I discovered the Lovin-Plat coupon works on new items as well so only cost me 10$ and change. I have a number of different Iray concrete and stone shaders so If I can get each column converted into it's own material zone I can use and rotate those to make each one a bit different.  It is a nice example of "Georgian" architectural style which was common for British mansions and manors.

i think jcade posted a new UV set for that purpose already (i.e., UV set that rotates the column textures).

empty said:

Sad there is no clean version without the damage and occult stuff. Not that it bothers me...it's actually quite cool. The night image of the couple and car in front of the house lead me to belive there was a clean version, but upon closer inspection it does indeed show all the damage etc, so my bad for not looking closely enough. I'm going to return it, as it does nothing for me, but it is very good quality and a lot of people will get a lot of use out of it, I'm sure.

pity Lothar and Jcade's solutions were insufficient for your needs sad it is otherwise a great set

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,183

About the front door, there is a small space behind it, like with the windows. It has it's own face group, so it could be rigged (after changing to a figure, adding a bone, setting the centre and end points; a lot of work for such a small part). You could do the same for the other doors, storm cellar doors, maybe some of the windows (most are set crooked in their frames). Still a lot of work.

Or, Mesh Grabber with Rotations. Does wonders for any door, separate face group or not. Now if we could get the Morph editor add-on for the Windows version, it will be a snap to save some custom morphs.

I made it open in Carrara cheeky yes not welded so quite riggable

Using Mesh Grabber w/Rotations...

AM_Front Door.jpg
    800 x 800 - 290K
    AM_Cellar Doors.jpg
    800 x 800 - 349K
    AM_Back Doors.jpg
    800 x 800 - 270K

...hmm never thought of Mesh Grabber for opening doors.  Passed on it as using it to adjust regions of figure and clothing meshes tends to stretch or compact textures. 

Hard edges are easy if you set the falloff radius to 0.00. Rotate about an imaginary axis running through the center of the hinges.

KK, send to Hexagon

select a vertex and grow rotate, translate, send to DAZ studio 

create morph

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,697

I think if you put big Greek letters on the front, it would look  like a fraternity house. A fraternity house at Halloween. Just add a keg and a bunch of used big red plastic cups lol. 

• KK, send to Hexagon

create morph

The trouble with a morph is that it looks bad at intemediate values, since the vertices travel in a straight line.

Rigging the elements that work well with the other tools should be be tricky, convert to a figure (Edit>Object>Rigging), use the Joint Editor to add bones (right-click>Edit>Create Child Bone as I recall), then use the tool to place the centre point on the hinge; weighting the bones should simply be a matter of selecting the geoemtry, as above (click with the Geometry Editor to select one polygon then cmd/ctrl * sounds like it would handle most doors), then with Node Weight Paint Brush tool active select the general Weights map for the bone, right-click>Weight Editing>Fille Selected, make the value 100%.

KK, send to Hexagon

create morph

The trouble with a morph is that it looks bad at intemediate values, since the vertices travel in a straight line.

Rigging the elements that work well with the other tools should be be tricky, convert to a figure (Edit>Object>Rigging), use the Joint Editor to add bones (right-click>Edit>Create Child Bone as I recall), then use the tool to place the centre point on the hinge; weighting the bones should simply be a matter of selecting the geoemtry, as above (click with the Geometry Editor to select one polygon then cmd/ctrl * sounds like it would handle most doors), then with Node Weight Paint Brush tool active select the general Weights map for the bone, right-click>Weight Editing>Fille Selected, make the value 100%.

I did suggest that in another thread on the New Orleans corners kiss

but you also if doing still renders can create a few morphs with partially opened doors ´enlightenedtoo

Tried some weight-mapped D-Formers on the door geometries and they work very well. No need for any other programs.

In brief: Add a new D-Former to the mansion prop, change D-Former field Influence to Weight Map. Switch to Weight-Mapping tool, Tool Settings and add Influence Map, select all relevant polygons for one door, fill with 100% weight. Position your D-Former field near the target door's hinges. Scale the (now seemingly useless) field axes along, say, the y-axis and narrow the x and z to make it cigar-shaped (it's just easier to work with), rotate if needed (like for the cellar doors) and align with the door hinges (stretch it and rotate it so that the narrowed tips just touch the center of the hinges). Align the D-Former base using the position and angle of the field (not so useless now, is it?) to get the proper axis of rotation for the D-Former. Rotate the D-Former to open the door.

Repeat for each door you want to open. Plus, you can save them with the scene to use later, or spawn the morph(s) directly in Studio from the DForm tab (adds a new morph control slider, but, as Richard said, they don't look so good at intermediate values). Save as scene subset or as a new support asset (scene, figure/prop, morph), or save modified assets to overwrite the original (make sure you back it up before and after).

edited October 2020

I think if you put big Greek letters on the front, it would look  like a fraternity house. A fraternity house at Halloween. Just add a keg and a bunch of used big red plastic cups lol. 

...there are red plasic cups in the Z Drinking Games Props

https://www.daz3d.com/z-up-for-drinks-props-and-poses-for-genesis-8

There is also a free metal firkin in a tub with ice with pump and tap for Daz on ShareCG

https://www.sharecg.com/v/93504/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Beer-Keg

Hmm, you just gave me an idea.