j.cade is Back! And brought the adorable Bette!

3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
edited September 2020 in The Commons

The new Bette is a fantastic character by j.cade! I was blessed enough to be able to help beta test the character and I absolutely love her!

WELCOME BACK, j.cade! It's good to have you back! And your Bette is SO ADORABLE! heart

Post edited by 3Diva on

Comments

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

Thank you for beta testing! 

I should 100% go to sleep now, but I will post the absolute dumbest image from the commecial thread I just stuck up (also instead of sleeping)

Is this an incredibly stupid render based on a meme? Yes

Is that out of focus fella possibly what I'm currently working on? :)

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    j cade said:

I should 100% go to sleep now, but I will post the absolute dumbest image from the commecial thread I just stuck up (also instead of sleeping)

Oh nice! We need more toon/stylized guys - he's looking good! :D

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,300

I don't do toon characters, but I found this image pretty amazing

• Great character. Definitely snapping her up. Also can't wait for the male character. 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited September 2020

She looks amazing - well done j.cade.

I have always admired the art made by him - now I can enjoy his items in Daz 3D shop.

Bette03pic01.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 209K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Sevrin said:

Yeh it is, and likewise.

I love the fact that hands are actually touching without intersecting or floating.

... Attention to detail.

• Sevrin said:

I'm not a fan of this style in general... but toon Victoria and toon Darcy are adorable.
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Wow! Bette is the 1st character that I've been excited about in over a year! I'm buying today! laugh

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

Beautiful job! Expertly done.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    Artini said:

She looks amazing - well done j.cade.

I have always admired the art made by him - now I can enjoy his items in Daz 3D shop.

Uhmmm, j.cade isn't a "him", she is a "her". Agreed her work is always fantastic and the character is adorable. 

• Wonderful to see you back in the store and with such a lovely character. (:

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246

That mix morph promo is what sold it to me. She mixes *very* well with others.

• She's adorable, and looks like a great mixer. Wishlisted!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528

Wow, another great mystery solved - I was pretty sure, that j.cade is a men.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639

Definitely a mensch.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,029
    Artini said:

People with abbreviated first names are frequently women who don't wish to advertise that fact. This is in contrast to people like M. Emmett Walsh and C. Everett Koop, who also go by rather unambiguously male middle names. 

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    3Diva said:
    j cade said:

Oh nice! We need more toon/stylized guys - he's looking good! :D

Honestly after making his morph I don't blame anyone, stylizing a male character is way harder - Stylizing women is easy: just give her big googly eyes and you're mostly there. But big googly eyes, in addition to being one of the main signifires of stylization, are also a big signifier of femaleness. So you stick them on your male character and your options are either super childlike or super offputting (or both). Getting a male character that looks stylized to the same degree, but also appealing and suitibly masculine is way more of a balancing act

(I have some really terrifying abandoned attempts. Eye-bleedingly terrifying abominations)

Thanks everyone mentioning the group promo! Its probably one of the more involved renders I've ever done, So I'm glad it shows.   I should mention I did use https://www.daz3d.com/together-brotherhood-poses-for-genesis-8-male-s as a base the Eva and Darcy blends required only a bit of tweaking and I then built out from there. It was pretty fun 

Artini said:

TBF I'm pretty gender ambivalent. I'd say NB but that is a level of commintment that overstates things

Gordig said:
    Artini said:

People with abbreviated first names are frequently women who don't wish to advertise that fact. This is in contrast to people like M. Emmett Walsh and C. Everett Koop, who also go by rather unambiguously male middle names. 

j.cade is actually short for Jack Cade. So technically I shortened it to be less male. I kept Jack for about a week until I realized not everyone shared my love of Medieval peasant uprisings/random minor Shakespearean characters. Its a hold over from my edgy teenage highschool years when I had a keychain thing that said "The first thing we do, lets kill all the lawyers' Henry VI, Part II. Which, yes, I am aware is not actually said by Jack Cade but one of his followers, after which he agrees. However the line is still associated with him and Jack Cade is a way cooler user name than "Dick the Butcher" It would be very difficult to sell products as DickButcher

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,029
    j cade said:

However the line is still associated with him and Jack Cade is a way cooler user name than "Dick the Butcher" It would be very difficult to sell products as DickButcher

Depends on what kind of products you're trying to sell.

• Bette looks like she'll be lots of fun. :)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited September 2020
    j cade said:
    3Diva said:
    j cade said:

j.cade is actually short for Jack Cade. So technically I shortened it to be less male. I kept Jack for about a week until I realized not everyone shared my love of Medieval peasant uprisings/random minor Shakespearean characters. Its a hold over from my edgy teenage highschool years when I had a keychain thing that said "The first thing we do, lets kill all the lawyers' Henry VI, Part II. Which, yes, I am aware is not actually said by Jack Cade but one of his followers, after which he agrees. However the line is still associated with him and Jack Cade is a way cooler user name than "Dick the Butcher" It would be very difficult to sell products as DickButcher

Well I will be buying when you are satisfied as I'm sure you will be picky. They should look somewhat unattractive relative to females as you are contrasting them as the oppositite to the stylized pretty females to make for good storytelling. It's sugar & spice vs snakes and snails so I don't think you can avoid it. 

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

Only movie I've seen parts of with Bette Davis in it. 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited September 2020

I mixed Bette 50% and Alawa 50% and let the randomizer throw in a few other things.

(Yes, I know, the dForce on this dress is poor.)

Bette Mix Floor Pose PC3.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on

I also made a Bette/Edie combination. I let the character randomizer select how much of each to use. Then I dialed in some toon pixie ears and put on some toon hair. The outift is a G8M outfit (PRZ White Tie) autofit to this G8F. The instrument is HD Violin.

Bette Edie Pixie Mix.jpg
    488 x 818 - 109K
  • I love stylized characters so i just had to pick her up today. Great job! Can't wait to see how she mixes with other characters as well!
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,695
    barbult said:

I mixed Bette 50% and Alawa 50% and let the randomizer throw in a few other things.

Actually that looks very similar to a character I just rendered mixing Toon Gen 4 with others...

edited September 2020
    barbult said:

Actually that looks very similar to a character I just rendered mixing Toon Gen 4 with others...

Interesting. I decided to do a comparison between Bette and Toon Gen 4 (21 year old). Bette is more petite (her scaling on load is 92%), more curvy, and more stylized. Bette is much paler and pinker. I used the TG4 render settings preset (an HDRI), but had to reduce lighting quite a bit to avoid completely blowing out Bette. This made TG4 a little darker here than she would be on her own with her own render settings preset.

Anyway, it was a fun exercise, so thanks for giving me the idea.

Bette and TG4 21.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 679K
    edited September 2020

Bette and Toon Generations 4 combine together fine, too. Here is 50% of each one. The only difference here is the materials. I added Bette's toon lashes in this render, too.

Bette 50% and TG4 21 50%.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 671K
  • Oh my gosh oh my gosh I'll be able to make Elsa blush 

barbult said:

Bette and Toon Generations 4 combine together fine, too. Here is 50% of each one. The only difference here is the materials. I added Bette's toon lashes in this render, too.

The 50/50 mix is so cute! Thank you for sharing your results with us! :D

Oh my gosh oh my gosh I'll be able to make Elsa blush 

Oh that would be some fun fanart! :D

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited September 2020

Bette adds cute to established characters like a treat - this is Alexandra 8 with Bette shapes added

Bette Alexandra Mix.jpg
    1536 x 1536 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on