CC#54 WiPs ~ What is it that you truly desire? after party Chit Chat

Comments

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,949
    edited September 2020
    Bunyip02 said:
    ed3D - are you able to join in again ?

Lurkers - hurry up and join in the fun !!!

_ pretty much ,  yeah _ thanx

Stezza - Momo is definately creepy, nice escape scene - I think most of us need to escape 2020 !!

_   Yeah ~

Post edited by ed3D on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited October 2020

Here is the quickie I promised.  

Daz content includes G2F and G2M, the genie outfit is As You Wish by Slosh, which comes with the genie lamp prop.  The adventurer outfit is Diana and Jones by Luthbelina.  Trees ae from the Carrara object browser.  Atmosphere is realistic sky https://www.daz3d.com/rm-realistic-sky-presets

Played around with Filter Forge.

I used some cone models with a modifer to explode from the top and a blur effect to get the smoke from the lamp.  I rendered once with the smoke and once without so I could use Post to get what I wanted, which wasn't too much.  Setup and raw renders atatched.

genie setup.jpg
    1919 x 976 - 329K
    Genie 01.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Genie 02 no smoke.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Genie Entry.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Genie Entry Smoke.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited September 2020
    Stezza said:

awesome work @diomede and some free hair to go with it yes

what I do with the teeth when not using a new shader domain is soft select them and shrink them out of the way... 

listening to spotify whilst posting 'all I need is the air that I breathe' .... hmmmm enlightened

I couldn't have said it better myself, but I wish his Spotify came through my speakers too! ;)

Great job Diomede, and awesome WIP tutorial as always!!!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Vyusur, I love the new creature figure! Great render!

Stezza - I love you, man!

Bunyip, very cool setting you've got going there!

All - Very cool!!!

Diomede said:

Daz content includes G2F and G2M, the genie outfit is As You Wish by Slosh, which comes with the genie lamp prop.  The adventurer outfit is Diana and Jones by Luthbelina.  Trees ae from the Carrara object browser.  Atmosphere is realistic sky https://www.daz3d.com/rm-realistic-sky-presets

I used some cone models with a modifer to explode from the top and a blur effect to get the smoke from the lamp.  I rendered once with the smoke and once without so I could use Post to get what I wanted, which wasn't too much.  Setup and raw renders atatched.

Oh... I dream of Genie! I really do!!!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    Diomede said:

Excellent !!!

Vyusur, I love the new creature figure! Great render!

Stezza - I love you, man!

Bunyip, very cool setting you've got going there!

All - Very cool!!!

Thanks, have you got time to join in with a render ?

edited September 2020

A little shack to call home ! - Did some landscaping.

CC54 HumbleShack 2d.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Diomede said:

Diomede, you just shocked me. smiley

Stezza mentioned a while back that that he appreciated "my style."  I had never really thought much about it.  But when I did, it was apparent that we all default to a particular style.  I can almost always tell if Stezza did the render, or headwax, or Bunyip, etc.  And of course, you have a style as well.  It's just the way it is.

But this render came out of left field.  It has some really nice qualities (in other words, stuff I like smiley), such as pulp magazine textures and interesting posing.  I do wish that you had done more with the lamp smoke, as it could really add mystery (and a kind of authenticity) to the render.  I also think that the shadows look a little weird.

That said, the render is very, very cool.  yes  Have you got the theme for the next Challenge picked out yet?  cheeky

edited September 2020

Space Explorer

When I was a kid I wanted to explore the Galaxy in my Dreamjet Spacecraft

Basic Carrara setup, used the Glow Channel for the Planet & stars shaders

CC54 Space Explorer WIP-1.png
    2273 x 1037 - 451K
    CC54 Space Explorer 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    Diomede said:

wow that's terrific Ted ! one of your best

there's some great work in this thread, lots made me go ohh and ahh and a few laugh out loud

Bunyip02 said:

thaink of the maintence :) nice fairy tale render

edited September 2020

sorry for not commenting on all the work, that's the beauty of having such prolific artists here

I've decided to do a book cover for a book in a scene - here's part of the image - ironic it too has a moon! (see bunyip's previous post)

and the original render

theboywhoatethemooncroppedtwice.jpg
    2066 x 2813 - 4M
    theboywhoatethemoonwip.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 362K
    Post edited by Headwax on
    Headwax said:
    Bunyip02 said:

thaink of the maintence :) nice fairy tale render

Thanks ! Power bill would be expensive as well !!!

Headwax said:

sorry for not commenting on all the work, that's the beauty of having such prolific artists here

I've decided to do a book cover for a book in a scene - here's part of the image - ironic it too has a moon! (see bunyip's previous post)

and the original render

Looking great - rest of the image should be super !

edited September 2020

Walking with Dino's

Every 4 or 5 year old that I know loves Dinosaurs, would be fun to walk with them or play with them !

Basic setup

CC54 Dino WIP-2.png
    2278 x 1031 - 1M
    CC54 Dino2.png
    800 x 1040 - 1M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited September 2020

Thank you for the kind comments on the Genie image, Dart, UB, Bunyip, and Headwax.  I may revisit the smoke and shadows, UB.  Your suggestions are always constructive and much appreciated.

Bunyip - space exploration is very cool, I think I was like a lot of kids that wanted to be in a space capsule to the moon like that.  Well done.  Agree that every kid wanted to walk with dinos - well the vegetarians.  Might have to run from the others.  The field is excellent and the overall feel of the meadow is wonderful.  The figures look very natural.

Headwax - speaking of kids and moons, the book cover is inspirational, can't wait to see how you use it in the scene.

EDIT - I did include a shadow pass when I rendered out the genie scene, which I am attaching.  Some of the shadows have color if I included translucency in a shader.  I am assuming that the problematic shadows are the sharp shadows cast by the sun extending from the two Genesis 2 figures toward the camera.  I will do some experimenting.  Let me know if those are not the problematic shadows, or if there are others.

Genie 01_Shadow.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Diomede on

Yikes, that's an awesome book cover!!!

• Diomede said:
    EDIT - I did include a shadow pass when I rendered out the genie scene, which I am attaching.  Some of the shadows have color if I included translucency in a shader.  I am assuming that the problematic shadows are the sharp shadows cast by the sun extending from the two Genesis 2 figures toward the camera.  I will do some experimenting.  Let me know if those are not the problematic shadows, or if there are others.

I may be the only one here who is bothered by the shadows.  And it is one thing to feel that something is not quite right, and another thing to know what to do about it.

For me, maybe the shadows are too clean, and need to be blurred.  I think you can do this by using a shadowcast plane and blurring it.  Maybe they would look better darker.  Maybe.

Attached are also some examples of lamp smoke.  They are small and not great, but it was the best I could find in the short term.

It looks like the first one could be done with modified and blurred primitives, and some lens flare.  The other is more like a Carrara cloud.

genie x01.jpg
    300 x 382 - 13K
    Genie-Bull.jpg
    500 x 697 - 107K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited September 2020

shadows are dependent on the size of the light casting them, a tiny from our perspective midday sun on a clear day will cast sharp ones, an overcast day you may not see any actual shadow, what happens in 3D is very different to reality even with the PBR render engines, postwork is a wonderful thing cheeky

I don't want to nitpick though but the moon in front of the clouds seen in many Carrara renders troubles me more blush whack a cloud in front of it

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    Stezza said:

Escape from 2020

Just a basic scene render in Carrara and seperate png render of KenG wasp for a transparent background and added in PSE. Modeled the time machines and also the mummy wrap for Genesis, I converted the terrain to a vertexx model and shaded it with my sand texture.. Postwork in PSE2020

Cool render Stezza, thanks for hints about figure transformations. Love the cat! laugh

Bunyip02 said:

A little shack to call home !

Nicely done Bunyip! A little shack, lol.

Diomede said:

Cool render Diomede! Figures have a nice painterly look to them. Interesting use of modifiers.

Bunyip02 said:

Space Explorer

When I was a kid I wanted to explore the Galaxy in my Dreamjet Spacecraft

Basic Carrara setup, used the Glow Channel for the Planet & stars shaders

Great use of the Glow Channel Bunyip!  The planet has some nice irredescence to the look.

Headwax said:

Beatiful work Headwax. I especially like the color s bleeding and bouncing around. As others have said, hope we get to see the full final image.

Bunyip02 said:

Walking with Dino's

Every 4 or 5 year old that I know loves Dinosaurs, would be fun to walk with them or play with them !

Another nice render Bunyip. Nice soft lighting on the trees. I don't know my dinosaurs but hope that one is an herbivore. smiley

A philosophical Challenge theme?  If one is being honest, unearthing what "you truly desire" could be disturbing (in a good way).

I had to let the idea percolate for a while.  This morning, I suddenly realized that there is a render on my bucket list which fits the theme.  Not sure I have the skills yet. but it will be fun giving it a go.

Thanks for disturbing us, Stezza!  smiley

Lol UnifiedBrain, yes this is striking me as philosophical. I'm having a hard time coming up with a concept. Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind.

• A philosophical Challenge theme?  If one is being honest, unearthing what "you truly desire" could be disturbing (in a good way).

I had to let the idea percolate for a while.  This morning, I suddenly realized that there is a render on my bucket list which fits the theme.  Not sure I have the skills yet. but it will be fun giving it a go.

Thanks for disturbing us, Stezza!  smiley

Lol UnifiedBrain, yes this is striking me as philosophical. I'm having a hard time coming up with a concept. Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind.

I decided to pivot a bit on this idea.  Illustrating my own personal "truest desire" is somewhat daunting.  But pointing out the truest desire of other people or things - as Stezza and Diomede have shown - is a whole lot easier. :)  It is fairly easy to assign basic human desires of power, wealth, health, love, and sex to a character, real or imagined.  Some are darker than others - the coyote desires the roadrunner!

What is the grestest desire of a particular character?  I will be exploring that idea.  Otherwise, I may not get an entry done. :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

yep, our grandson turns 3 soon and we bought him a dinosaur figure set... was at woolies yesterday shopping and saw Jurrasic Park dinos and was tempted but wifey said no!

yes

Bunyip02 said:

Walking with Dino's

Basic setup

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    Headwax said:

and the original render

very cool, book covers, everyone should get one done for some struggling novelist somewhere smiley