Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Wow David... All these terrains of Horo's are looking great, but especially you've done a great job on this last one.
    That water looks absolutely convincing.

Totally agree on that.

edited December 1969

I have done some tweks on this, and decided to call it done for now. THanks for the offer David, but I plugged on, on my own, and then used a photfilter to bring the contrast up a tad more.

mountain_view_again_4.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 757K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited May 2014

@Dave, thanks Dave! Well the work around for high resolution terrains is great news for me because it has opened up a whole new set of filtering possibilities that just were not practical before.

Edit: And I meant to add. The dragon render looks good and the ground texture really works. Not realistic as you say, but it gives the right impression and is very much in keeping with the style of the image. Excellent in every respect!

@Pam, well you know how I feel about postwork! Only fooling... yes, better contrast but it still feels a bit "heavy" to me. The offer is always open though, you know that.

Here's another of Horo's terrains, again the material is heavily reliant on curvature filtering and I've also replicated my watery effect and given it a kind of "boggy" slightly flooded look.

G_m_H_D_9.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 629K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

I was experimenting with various things in Bryce.

In this I used Photoshop and painted the planet/moon with transparent background, then placed it onto a round plane in Bryce. I also played in the sky lab and added an extra radial light in front of the moon for a better reflection in the water of the moon.

First render is the original. The second was post worked in Filter Forge for the dreamy effect.

moon2.png
    960 x 720 - 983K
    moon.png
    960 x 720 - 1M
    edited May 2014

In this I used Photoshop and painted the planet/moon with transparent background, then placed it onto a round plane in Bryce. I also played in the sky lab and added an extra radial light in front of the moon for a better reflection in the water of the moon.

First render is the original. The second was post worked in Filter Forge for the dreamy effect.

The dreamy effect works for me. Also consider, since you have a "locked off" camera in Bryce and if you are planning to use postwork that you can make several exposures of your scene to get different bits of "information" from it. So you can combine a render with IBL with another with a direct light to get different effects and also... there are the masking options in your render options drop down to consider. These can be very useful for postwork.

Oh here's another quick arid terrain render (quick to render... the material on the ground takes between two and three hours to setup).

G_m_H_D_10.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 582K
    edited December 1969

Hmm...I have so much to learn. The good news is I don't mind. Bryce is fun.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Another great Dufus scene. I have several of the shorter dandelions in my yard, they're the ones the mower can't reach.

@Pam: Really like your results so far with that scene.

@David: Of your latest landscapes, I'm with Dave. Wow, such results.

@fictionairomance: Your moon scene really has a nice atmosphere. Nice work.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,987
    edited May 2014

Dave: I’m not too fond of dragons but Dufus is so cute and adorable, I love every render you did.

David: The latest landscapes are awesome. You and Horo make a great team. I’m not into UV mapping but I enjoyed watching the 1st two videos, looking forward to seeing the others you posted. Thanks for sharing.

Fictionairomance: Nice boar scene. Love the moon scene, I’ve being trying to do something similar – a surreal scene, but can’t place the moon where I would like it.

Fran: The beetles are really nice looking, I especially like the ants climbing on for a free ride.

Horo: Thanks for the information about Hdri and Ibl.

Pam: Wow, all your scenes are beautiful, the last one is my fav.

Electro-elvis: The landscape is nice. When I see such landscapes, like the ones you and Pam did, I wonder how many terrains are used.

TLBKlaus: beautiful abstracts as usual.

Guss: love your kitchen cabinets, very nicely done.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jamie, Mermaid. Here's some more.

G_m_H_D_14.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 600K
    G_m_H_D_13.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 736K
    G_m_H_D_12.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 715K
    G_m_H_D_11.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 587K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited May 2014

Electro-elvis: The landscape is nice. When I see such landscapes, like the ones you and Pam did, I wonder how many terrains are used.

Thank you mermaid10. In my case it is actually only one single terrain, but it is quite a bit edited. I like the following "trick" for generating a terrain. Firrst I generate a "base" terrain by choosing a terrain I like, e.g. "Mordor" and clicking on the little button left of "Fractal" for generating it. Afterwards I change the type, e.g. to "Slickrock" Now I do not clicking on the button, but position the mouse and draw it a little bit to the right. This slowly adds the new chosen terrain to the first one and it generates a mixture of both of them.

@David: Very nice terrains. Of your last four I like the second one best. Wonderful texture. I wonder, if the complexity of the terrains comes from the terrains itself or from a clever built material, too.

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited May 2014

@David: Very nice terrains. Of your four last one I like most the second one best. Wonderful texture. I wonder, if the complexity of the terrains comes from the terrains itself or from a clever built material, too.

The answer is both.

Because the materials I've employed use a mixture of standard filters and curvature filters, the standard filters being linked to the surface normals are to some extent free to create the illusion of detail, the curvature filters being linked to interpretations of the polygon normals are highly dependent on terrain resolution to work - however, curvature filtering has the advantage of allowing the material to respond intelligently to the geometric form of the surface while standard filters can only respond to the geometric position of the surface normal.

The practical upshot of which is to you need very high resolution meshes to do anything with curvature but when you do have that, you can create some very co-operative materials to work with them that enhance the geometry you have got and give the illusion of extra geometry you have not got.

Because from my limited shots it is difficult to appreciate just how high resolution these terrains made by Horo are in comparison to the 512 x 512 we are used to. I've taken the liberty of dragging my camera around a bit and taking some more shots here and there.

P56_example_scene2f.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 637K
    P56_example_scene1e.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 503K
    P56_example_scene2e.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 737K
    P56_example_scene3f.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 729K
    P56_example_scene2c.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 541K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

David, you're such a distraction with your excellent landscape renders. :-)
    So much so, that yesterday I had to try the recent work around for high res terrains.
    It works a treat but my render crashed (twice) so I've spent the last 24 hours trying to find out why.

If I get it to complete a render I'll post it... But I'll say beforehand that it's not a patch on yours because all I did was go into the sky lab a few times to make some alts and go into the Mat Lab several times to make some tweaks, just to see that your tip works on the Mac too. And it is just a terrain formed within Bryce terrain editor.

• SandySimsSandySims Posts: 52
    edited December 1969

Amazing what a new computer can do for you! ;-P I figured I'd get back into things with a simple kaleidoscope I made today. I decided to scrap my previous project and work on learning some new tricks. So I'm going to start going through David's videos. Does any one have a good playlist to watch of them?

Kalaidescope.jpg
    1114 x 819 - 272K
    edited December 1969

@David: Wow, all materials in your last pictures are fantastic, but the first one looks simply amazing! The material is soo convincing. Reminds me of the alps above the treeline. I think, if a material wizard like you needs 2 until 3 hours to built one of your materials, then I would take at least 1 week ;-)

@chohole: That is a gorgeous landscape. Not only the foreground also the distant hills look very natural.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: I with Dave about your latest spectacular landscapes being a distraction. When I see what you do with Horo's high res landscapes, I keeping asking myself how there are created in order to get the detailed peaks and valleys.

@Sandy: Welcome to the forum. Nice results following that tutorial. A play list? David has a channel on You Tube which has several tutorials under each of the headings. What to watch first depends on what you're trying to learn first. If you're new to Bryce, perhaps searching for the tutorials he's dedicated to beginners would be the way to go. Or, if you're like many, find something of interest and go that route.

@electro: Thanks for providing that tip for creating a terrain. Another bit of information to tuck away.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Finally got it to render... Planetary Resolution Terrain. Rendered at 36RPP.

RockIslandMaxRes.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 354K
    edited December 1969

Finally got it to render... Planetary Resolution Terrain. Rendered at 36RPP.

WOW. That is beautiful.

On a side note I decided to try 1 scene with different skies & lights to see how different each rendered image is. The terrain I cheated on and sculpted it in Hexagon then sent to Daz and bridged to Bryce.

Terrain_1_sample_d.jpg
    640 x 480 - 251K
    Terrain_1_sample_b.jpg
    640 x 480 - 226K
    Terrain_1_sample_a.jpg
    640 x 480 - 296K
    edited December 1969

Thank you mermaid10. In my case it is actually only one single terrain, but it is quite a bit edited. I like the following "trick" for generating a terrain. Firrst I generate a "base" terrain by choosing a terrain I like, e.g. "Mordor" and clicking on the little button left of "Fractal" for generating it. Afterwards I change the type, e.g. to "Slickrock" Now I do not clicking on the button, but position the mouse and draw it a little bit to the right. This slowly adds the new chosen terrain to the first one and it generates a mixture of both of them.

@David: Very nice terrains. Of your last four I like the second one best. Wonderful texture. I wonder, if the complexity of the terrains comes from the terrains itself or from a clever built material, too.

Thanks for sharing this "trick."

edited May 2014

Lovely terrain/landscape from David, Dave and Fictionairomance

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited May 2014

As everyone is producing such supper landscapes I was inspired to go back and have another go at one I had abandoned.

Cheated a bit on the sky. but it's pre work David, not post work

Storm brewing I think

I do get a feeling I either need something on the lake, or another terrain to turn it into a river.

_A_storm_brewing_over_the_lake.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 755K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Thanks! Well it is nice to see everyone is so enthusiastic about landscapes and given the name of this tread I feel it is only right to throw a few more into the ring.

P56_example_scene6f.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 750K
    P56_example_scene7f.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 619K
    P56_example_scene4a.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 472K
    P56_example_scene8d.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 560K
    P56_example_scene5a.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 538K
    edited December 1969

Chohole and David I am so jealous of your talent but maybe with more patience and practice I will get there

• SandySimsSandySims Posts: 52
    edited December 1969

Chohole and David I am so jealous of your talent but maybe with more patience and practice I will get there

I got to agree with you! I'm jealous.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,109
    edited December 1969

@David - all terrain renders shown from page 20 hence look amazing.

@fictionalromance - vegetation is looking nice. You could improve by turning up the sun a bit and maybe about 20% soft sun shadows, rendered premium with 16 or 36 rays per pixel. Render time will increase with the soft shadows, though.
    The planet moon renders are nice.
    Terrains look great, too. I like the third one best because of the better contrast.

@Dave - the Dufus renders are cute. Terrain looks very good.

@Pam - now with the distant mountains it came out very good.
    The newest landscape looks great, too. The water is excellent.

@SandySims - that kaleidoscope looks excellent.

I've been very busy with the terrains and even though I rendered day and night on two machines, most of it is unusable crap. To relax a bit, I used one of the terrains and made a simple landscape. Not breathtaking, but it was fun to do. I think some sheep would improve it.

HillsAndVales.jpg
    800 x 534 - 107K
    edited December 1969

SandySims said:

I got to agree with you! I'm jealous.

David and Horo are better with landscapes than I am, considering I have been using Bryce longer than they have (started with Bryce 2)

My excuse is there was no internet forums when I started. Once forums came along there was lots of people around whose brains one could pick. I learned far more from forums than I ever did from a darned manual. :coolsmirk: although I do admit magazine tutorials helped.

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

Greetings, y'all! Long time since I've posted - was forced into exile a year ago, in the process lost my computer (and almost everything else I owned). Took a while to get my life back together (still working on that, LOL :coolsmirk:). But miraculously regained my computer and external drive, I'm finally back online, and over the last couple of months I've been catching up on all the stuff going on here in the "Show Us Your Renders" threads...

WOW! Lots of stuff going on here over the last year! Crazy Wings3D objects, great abstracts, geocrafting, hyper-mats??!! Wow! You guys have really taken Bryce to a new level over the last year! I see a lot of familiar folks here who have really upped their game! Now I look at all my old renders with disgust.

Not to worry though - my next task is to dive into all of David's and Horo's tutorials and try to catch of with the great artists here who have become even better over the last year - New renders, re-visiting some of my old renders with new ideas... I've got my work cut out for me!

But I just wanted to say "thanks" to all the folks here. Like Pam, I've been using Bryce since ver. 2, but since I've been lurking this forum y'all have made Bryce a whole new software for me - introducing me to techniques I would have never imagined, turning "bugs" into "features", and freely sharing your knowledge with all... You're a great bunch!

Glad to be back :coolsmile:

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,755
    edited December 1969

Hi all,

Just dropping in now and again. Impossible to keep up with the speed of the pros.
    @TheSavage64: I have to say: I really like the Dufus renders, good use of a cute little guy (gal?) Best, of course, in the renders with fire. It;s a dwagon, isn't it?
    @TLBKlaus: Nice assorted renders. I really like the chess one a lot!
    @GussNemo: Very nice kitchen. Maybe a lower frequency on the material for the (what you call it) 'tabletop' on the lower cabinets?
    @franontheedge: be ware, there's multiple bugs in your renders! Very nice and playful
    @David Brinnen and Horo: wow, what an amazing landscapes! One after another really beautiful.
    Sorry all the others: I did just quickly scan and must have missed your wonderful contribution.

Here is my latest 'spooky' of sorts. I made another version first, with the strange lady naked (and grey), which looked really good, but is not allowed on this forum. So I made some extremely simple clothes in Marvelous Designer 2 and created this new render.
    The trees are really Bryce trees, but extremely made, posing of the lady ( and morphing into a kind of alien catlady) in Daz Studio. Texturing and rendering (True Ambience in premium settings, light only from a spherical light, 64 rays) all in Bryce, of course. Hope you like it. I think I am now going to work with my catlady a bit more, e.g. in other poses and clothing.

spooky6b.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 462K
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Some really great terrains y'all (love your last batch David).

Here's two images of mine based on objects from fellow Brycer Herminio Nieves (@sharCG). I found them quite different and rather intriguing.

One is his "Scout Patrol" ship model completely re-textured with Bryce mats. Background from one of Horo's HDRIs (modified in Photpshop).

The other image uses his "Nubian Complex" and "Fantasy Boat" models. The clouds are a stack of 4 infinite World Space cloud planes. Makes the skies a little less flat without the sometimes long render time of volumetric clouds.

Both use IBL and True Ambience. "Scout" took about 2 hours to render @64RPP and "Sunset Cove" about 3.5 hours, also @64RPP.

Thanks for looking!

scout.jpg
    1505 x 746 - 354K
    sunset_cove.jpg
    1000 x 741 - 346K
    edited December 1969

Here an trial with a material with a curvature filter. Not that you think, I had understood what's going on, when I used this filter, the results were by accident actually. :-)

mountain_hr_curv.jpg
    1200 x 692 - 91K
    edited December 1969

I am still experimenting with the terrain shape I made in Hexagon and imported into Bryce. I'm testing different skies, lights, positions, vegetation and actual terrain textures. Most of the terrain textures I'm using is David Brinnen's from various packs I bought from Daz. The trees in this latest render are from XFrog's freebie obj's which include 2d billboards.

Tropical.png
    900 x 675 - 1M
This discussion has been closed.