Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 1969

hansmar said:

@mermaid010: impressive that you made a whole scene just to be reflected in your twist!
    And your lighting experiments are also very nice. I tend to prefer the third one, but you might want to lower the light level in the sky a little.

Here is my second 'Spooky' render. Not so much fog this time, but more spooky colours. I think I'll try another one with more fog again.

Hansmar –Thanks for your feedback. I used a Hdri as a backdrop for the triply twist – Cornwall Sunset. I’m not sure if it’s from Horo’s site on somewhere online.

I like the colors you used for your spooky render

Horo - Thanks

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,755
    edited December 1969

@Horo and mermaid: Thanks.

@Mermaid: Ah, much more efficient. But looks very good that way!

Another version of Spooky. I put the light in another spot and increased the size of the snake. Also changed the colours of the surrounding sphere and added another sphere within the outer sphere with some toxic fumes. Render without true ambience and exported to HDR. Used Picturenaut to modify the colours some.

spooky4.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 315K
  • weibinxweibinx Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

tooooo slow

Untitled6.png
    768 x 512 - 304K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Thank you. I like scenes 2 and 3, but like you, 2 is my favorite. It has a real sense of depth with the heavy haze.

@Dave: Well, I'd do something about the color of the fish in that scene. And give them more definition. Even in that type water you can see scales and the like. But changing their color would make them stand out better against the white bottom. That scene is going to look real nice when it's finished.

@hansmar: Thank you very much, glad you liked it. The ground in your first, latest, spooky scene actually looks like still water. The way the light hits it. Your second image is nice, but the first catches my eye better.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

@hansmar: Thank you very much, glad you liked it. The ground in your first, latest, spooky scene actually looks like still water. The way the light hits it. Your second image is nice, but the first catches my eye better.

Thanks GussNemo. I think I have to agree with you. The previous one does look better. Not sure whether I will try another...
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited April 2014

From dragonflies in the Render Challenge thread to flying dragons in this one... Hardly an A to Z of subject matter from me but hey ho. :-)

Edited to add: Am just rendering an alternative to this one with a bigger more orangey/pink sky... It's telling me 6 hours.

DragonHouse3.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 419K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

weibinx said:
    tooooo slow

You mean the render time?

Is that why there is no hair?

The skin looks good though.

edited December 1969

@Dave: Love your latest scene. But I'm having trouble deciding if the dragon is close to the camera or trying to land on the dock, to get a better peek inside the house. Really fantastic house in that scene.

edited December 1969

Yes, Guss I know what you mean... The dragon's reflection doesn't really show in the water.
    But I thought his slight shadow on the house gave a clue. :)

Anyway... Here is the alternative version now with two dragons and hopefully I better idea of what's going on. :cheese:

DragonHouse5.jpg
    1276 x 1789 - 793K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

@hansmar - thank you for mentioning the snake, I would have missed it in the darkness.

weibinx said:
    tooooo slow

What's that supposed to mean?

@Dave - like Guss, I find it difficult to determine the perspective in the first render. The second one removes the ambiguity.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited December 1969

GussNemo: Your glasses came out very well and I love this triple twisted thingies especially that one that reminds me a bit of a marble.

mermaid: Your triple twist object is great, too. IMHO a mixture between copper and chocolat. Very nice reflections. And at your experiment with light I like the picture in the middle most.

hansmar: Your third spooky scene might be a bit dark. Though the green colour looks good.

Dave: Your dragon scenes are beautiful. The second one is more clear. I like the chimney with the smoke there: They calmly cook and have no idea which danger is coming near ;-)

I am just working on reflection on glass. The scene is lit by three radial lights with soft shadow. The reflections come from a HDRI. Rendered in regular mode. Render time aobut 10 hours.

sixglasses.jpg
    800 x 600 - 35K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited April 2014

Electro-elvis...looks very nice.

I've found, depending on the initial HDRI used (and adjustments therein/of), that high Specularity and relatively low Reflection works well together. It's a fine balance - depending, of course, on the initial HDRI.

Cheers
    Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64: I love both your dragon scenes. I don't mind the unclear perspective in number 1. To me it looks like he is thinking: "will there be something to eat in there?" Wonderful house!!!

@electro-elvis: I agree on your observation: too dark indeed.
    Your glasses look nice. I really like the light on the table focused by the glasses.

edited December 1969

Thanks everyone. Yes, the second one turned out much better I think... More scope for adding some type at the top too.

Meanwhile, why are the dragons so interested in the house?
    Well a few weeks ago the witch who lives in it came upon a strange yellow egg.
    She put it in her basket and took it home thinking she may cook up a nice breakfast one morning.
    Well now the egg has hatched and it looks like instead of her having a nice breakfast, she's going to be a nice breakfast.
    I forget who it was that said "never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"

And now I introduce to you, Dufus da Dwagon.

HatchlingDragon2.jpg
    1111 x 709 - 247K
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Nicely done Dave. I don't recall who said that, but a good friend of mine had that as her sig on an old forum we used to frequent years ago. :coolsmirk:

• dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Guss:
    thank you for your explanation of your process, great tip leaving space on the edges, nice glass work, the marbles are cool

every one great renders as always inspirational , I need to learn HDRI next and start playing with lighting way more

here is my Crecent Falls, I was using random replicate, to place trees and found that the collision detection included the roots, which makes sense, it is the actual end of the object, but I need to know how to plant trees with out the roots sticking up in the air. also need to try some cloudy, volumes and add some mist and fog in the scene.. and play with lighting.

Crecent_Falls_cam350y_0z.jpg
    1114 x 829 - 970K
    Crecent_Falls_cam100y--400z.jpg
    1114 x 829 - 932K
    Crecent_Falls_cam400y-550z.jpg
    1114 x 829 - 1M
    Crecent_Falls_cam500y-1100z.jpg
    1114 x 829 - 1M
    Crecent_Falls_cam1000y-1500z.jpg
    1114 x 829 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - great glass renders. Yes, tranparency and HDRI can be a bit slow. In this case where you used radials for the light anyway, you can set HDRI Effect to zero (no HDR-light) or at least toggle HDR shadows off. In such a case, you only use the (not tone-mapped) HDRI as backdrop for the reflection.

@Dave - nice chap, Dufus.

@dana365 - that's quite an elaborate project you're working on.

edited April 2014

dana365 said:
    here is my Crecent Falls, I was using random replicate, to place trees and found that the collision detection included the roots, which makes sense, it is the actual end of the object, but I need to know how to plant trees with out the roots sticking up in the air. also need to try some cloudy, volumes and add some mist and fog in the scene.. and play with lighting.

It's coming along nicely... lot of detail in there. :)

Here's a tip for trees:
    When random replicating them, float one in the air and then in the random settings make the Y axis set to 0.
    This should make all your trees float above your scene at the exactly the same level.
    Then select all your trees (make sure they are not grouped) and click the 'drop to ground' button (the little down arrow).
    Now they should all fall to the terrain and follow it's contours but the roots will still be sticking out of the ground.

Then manually adjust them as a group by using the Y Axis down arrow in the 'Edit' tab. If you press the ALT/Option button at the same time as you use the move button, the trees will move in smaller increments allowing more accurate placement.
    Now all your trees should have their roots underground.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't make sense let me know and I'll do some screen grabs showing what I mean as soon as my present render is finished, :)

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Horo:
    thank you
    Dave:
    Thank you, I thought it might be something along those lines, your explanation totally makes sense, that is exactly what i will do to get those roots in, not grouped to drop to the contours is a very good tip. thanks again

All members:
    quick question, which tutorial might be a good place to start learning HDRI?

edited December 1969

@Dave: Yes, the second image, another marvelous one, makes it clear what's happening. And that Dufus image is very charming. That poor witch picked the wrong time for a good breakfast.

@electro: Thank you very much. But I don't think my glass can hold a candle to your latest work. Excellent looking glass, IMHO.

@dana: That scene is really looking nice. Nice looking waterfall.

edited December 1969

dana365 said:
    All members:
    quick question, which tutorial might be a good place to start learning HDRI?

On my wbsite (see sig), go to Bryce Documents > Videos > Horo. There you find links to about a dozen videos about Bryce Image Based Light (IBL). For most, there is also a transcript.
    edited December 1969

Dana365...wow, saw only a portion of this some time back in the thread, but seeing it now, it must be a HUGE project. Your commitment, too, is admirable...can't wait for the final work. Oh, and a fly-through animation would certainly be on the cards.

Jay

edited December 1969

Dufus da dwagon is having a day out at the seaside... but the beach is one of those that goes on forever.
    Eventually he does get to take a dip in the cool water.

DufusInWater.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 376K
    DufudRubberRing.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 186K
    edited December 1969

Horo:
    such an amazing collection of resources you have provided!

Guss:
    thank you! still a way to go but lovin it.

Jay:
    Thank you for such kind words, I am thinking that an animation is going top be extremely challenging, and i am curious how I would go about it, I have started looking at how video games handle their texture patterns and durations of repeating elements. Skyrim for one, has some really nice water "looped scenes". either way I feel I will need to see this all the way thru
    Dave:
    Dufas is pretty cool, you really have the lighting figured out, it looks so real.

edited December 1969

Dana365...on animation in Byrce, it's really as not involved as you might think - this YouTube tut uses an old version of Bryce, but the principles haven't changed that much. Yes, there are more advanced techniques you can do afterwards, but if it is just a simple fly-through camera movement over your terrain, then do give it a try. Bryce 6.3, I find, is the best one for animation, as having tried it in Bryce 7.0, I had to set up the time frames differently to what I was used to.

Skyrim...never noticed the looped water scenes in it - too busy killing dragons, orgs and such like ;) Great game, though.

Jay

edited December 1969

Jay:
    I will check it out the tut for sure.
    When I animated the Death Star, www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_lhlf0cH9Q it was in version 5.1, and I haven't animated a camera in pro 7 yet, just the water wall's texture. For the Falls I am thinking of animating the water and doing a bunch of long pans or sweeps, (you will have to forgive me if I use the wrong descriptions of video techniques.) the sort of movement you see in nature documentaries, or wild life shows. I think the biggest challenge will be the water features. the bubbling froth at the bottom of the falls, for one, all ready posses a serious bit of problem solving. as well as the volume material for mist. should be a good challenge.
    The next time your in Skyrim stop and look at the water falls in the game, you can see when the textures loop, and can tell they have used multiple, or layered textures to get that look, very cool, so I hope some of the same techniques I can put to work.

Dave:
    I got those trees to plant them selves proper and easily, thanks again, I did realize that I would have to plant them at the very end of the build because they are so demanding on the system, I planted to many perhaps, or need to stage my shots so that only important tress that are visible get planted. but as a last stage of the build before I run the animation should keep things moving along, at least while I am building.

edited December 1969

@Dave - I really like Dufus da dwagon. It's the summer version of Peter, the polar bear.

@dana365 - thank you. Jamahoney is right. There were no changes for the Animation Lab since Bryce 6.1, perhaps even longer.

edited December 1969

@Dave: Dufus now on the move, love it.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 1969

Hansmar-I like the first spooky render better, the lighting is much better.

Dave –the 2nd dragon render is very nice. Dufus da Dwagon is so cute especially the day at the beach. Are we going to see a Dufus da Dwagon series?

Electro-Elvis – thanks. Love the glass render. I did not have much luck with my attempt. I’ll try with radial lights.

Jay – thanks for the addition info about Specularity and Relfections.

Dana – very impressive Crecent Falls looking forward to the final render.

A quick question, is there some way to get an object on the horizon using the attribute box .. Thanks in advance.

edited December 1969

Jay :
    Horo:
    I look forward to the improvements, although , once I got used to the interface, the animation feels very in control.I hope the changes reflects that ideology.

Mermaid010:
    thank you!, I feel that I have finally earned my chevrons, respectfully to Bryce for its powerful attributes, and thanks to the materials and advice given , a very condusive learning environment!!

This discussion has been closed.