Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Hi Bryce friends... nice to see that the conversation is still going strong! Although my participation has been intermittent, I still drop in and observe when I can. Here's a little something recent from me; I'm still continuing the trend of "less Bryce" and more "other stuff." Lots of Zbrush in this one. Still a fair amount of Bryce hidden in among the greenery... I'm putting an e-book together of my images, soon to be released on iTunes and a few other places. I'll let you know when it's ready.

Nice one.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,103
    edited December 1969

@M1chaelFrank - good to see your artwork again. Amazing.

• M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks very much, everybody!

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Amazing work Michael - as ever!

Here, another little Wings project for those who like such things. Wings 3D - glass of wine - by David Brinnen

And another Wings 3D - add extra structure to a simple model - by David Brinnen

Simple_structure.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 208K
    Wineglasses.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 142K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,981
    edited December 1969

Thanks David for your comment on the spooky cavern. Thanks for the videos, something to play with this weekend.

M1chaelFrank - another outstanding render.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

That's what this weekend is all about!

EasterBunny.jpg
    1111 x 600 - 108K
    edited April 2014

@Dave - that's a sweet one.

I've been idling around programing height map converters for the Bryce Terrain Editor and test them out. Here are the resuts of the fun I had.

The first one is from GTOPO30, part of Europe under a strange sky at a time when there were no cities. The resolution is 30 arc sec/px which equals to 1 km/px. Height is 1 m accurate.

The second one shows part of the Montes Alpes with the Vallis Alpes in the centre. This is on the moon with some vegetation, water and air to make it a bit more hospitable. The height data are from LRO LOLA and are also 30 arc sec/px which makes about 267 m/px, height resolution is 0.5 m. The near crater is called Trouvelot.

The next two show a part of the Vallis Marineris on Mars, using MOLA128 data. Again 30 arc sec/px or a bit less than 500 m/px with the height at 1 m resolution. We look westward over Capri Chasm and on the last one WNW ward along Eos Chasm.

M02.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 150K
    M01.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 124K
    Moon04.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 274K
    E01a.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 86K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks @david, @mermaid.
    Horo, those images are amazing.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Horo...love the Moon and Mars's ones, and the Earth one looks like it has some curvature to it on the horizon.

A pity Bryce can't do curvature bump maps (always flat). Yes, one can put lenses and fake curvature, but it just doesn't work if you have a complete bump map of a planet, and then see the actual bump on the edge of the planet afterwards - would be great. Displacement might work, but I recall there's an issue with it - crashes and the like.

How does displacement work? Tried very low values for a global bump map I have, however, while the bump did occur at the edge of the planet's curvature, the displacement wasn't radially working outwards from the centre of the planet- rather it shifted the bumpiness weird-like; so's a crater on the planet didn't bump out radially the further one increased displacement. Is it that some spherical option beforehand should have been set. Done these experiments some time back.

Jay

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Jay: Thanks. That is a really good light bulb. And yeah, about the wire...

@Horo: Thank you. Ah, no, a bit at a time. Except for the Hungry Man dinner. Your latest images are wonderful, especially the Mars ones.

@mermaid: Thank you. That is a lovely image you've put together.

@dana: I use the built in scanner on our HP printer, and I have never changed any of its settings. I make sure I hold the box either as straight as possible in the center of the scanner bed, or tight against an edge of the scanner bed. I found it's best to compile the images before importing them into Wings 3d, so I edit them using GIMP; the program I can afford. I'll crop the images if necessary before saving them in GIMP. Then once that's done, I'll open either the front or back images in order to have a larger canvas to work with once the image is resized. Subsequent images are opened as layers, resized, and moved so that the other images can be placed. One thing I discovered, after doing the Ritz box, was to leave space between the images and the boarders to insure easier uv mapping. Then, once image placement is done, I'll merge down each layer so that I get an image which contains all of the separate images. Again, I don't resize anything, just save it then export it.

When that image is imported into Wings 3d, it comes in at the same size as I exported it from GIMP. And image size doesn't seem to be that much of a problem when the face of an object is uv mapped. The image is fit to the size of the object face, at least that's what I've found. Once everything is mapped, I'll save the object in Wings 3d, then export it as an .obj and import that file into Bryce. Now when it's imported into Bryce it will have to be resized to fit the needs of the scene, but that's done just like you'd resize anything in Bryce.

@David: Those are marvelous looking glass globes, as is adding the bridge to that landscape. I'll have to give those tutorials a try out. I did watch the one YouTube video about the topology and found it rather interesting.

@M1chael: That's a sharp looking scene, though if something that large came walking of the grass I'd be on the first train to wherever.

@Dave: Really cute bunny scene, though you not have me wanting a tab bit of chocolate. As if there's such a thing as a tab bit of chocolate.

After doing David's uv mapping tutorial, and my Ritz box, every time we empty another box I take it to the scanner. What's in the previous post is all the ones I had done, but I added one more after polishing off the contents. But what to do with them all, how do I display them? Well, I've got Sketchup, I can make a kitchen wall cabinet, I can also make a base cabinet to go along with the wall cabinet. I can also make a counter for the base cabinet. And after I thought I was finished with the scene I created in Bryce, an electrical wall outlet.

So in the image below you'll see three kitchen wall cabinets, two of the wall cabinet before one door was opened. There's also three base cabinets, two without the counter top. I then resized the counter top to cover the other two base cabinets. And as I said, when I was almost done I decided there had to be electrical wall outlets. So I added those two. It's rendered in 64 RPP, to activate soft shadows, 4 MRD, an HDRI and default Bryce sun.

Kitchen_base_upper_cabinets_w_boxes_8_1.png
    757 x 757 - 697K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited April 2014

@Jamahoney, displacement is very crash prone. Certainly experiment with it if you want, it's cool when it works, but save every little thing, and don't depend on it working to get your project done. I just tried creating a sphere primitive and applying displacement to it (architectural > buildings > basic windows), and it did radiate outward from the center of the sphere (well, in the preview anyway, it crashed when I tried rendering it). This is also how I've seen it in the past with a different material So the issue might be with your material, rather than displacement in general? Compare a different material and see what the differences are in the Materials lab.
    Helpful tip: if materials that use displacement are triggering crashes, try changing the render priority to 1, it might get through without crashing.
    I also had a repeated problem where it didn't render some or all of the displacement correctly, but if I did a spot render and THEN did a full render, it magically worked.

Post edited by sriesch on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

@Jamahoney, displacement is very crash prone. Certainly experiment with it if you want, it's cool when it works, but save every little thing, and don't depend on it working to get your project done. I just tried creating a sphere primitive and applying displacement to it (architectural > buildings > basic windows), and it did radiate outward from the center of the sphere (well, in the preview anyway, it crashed when I tried rendering it). This is also how I've seen it in the past with a different material So the issue might be with your material, rather than displacement in general? Compare a different material and see what the differences are in the Materials lab.
    Helpful tip: if materials that use displacement are triggering crashes, try changing the render priority to 1, it might get through without crashing.
    I also had a repeated problem where it didn't render some or all of the displacement correctly, but if I did a spot render and THEN did a full render, it magically worked.

Displacement doesnt like multi-core processing. Set the priority to LOW (which limits the processing to a single core) and the displacement should remain stable, though rendering in general will be much slower. The next update to Bryce will most likely deal with this issue.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

So much awesome stuff going on. Its getting more and more difficult to recognize based on the look whom the author of the work is. It seems that generally our skills as a community are really growing thank in many parts to Horo and David for their steadfast approach to getting the word out there.

Fran, the insect renders look amazing.

Savage, Very good work from you, as always.

Brinnen, If you keep going like this you are going to force my hand into getting a 4gb nvidia quadro and octane. Seriously beautiful stuff going on here.

Horo, There's something very satisfying about the series of renders on this page, especially the landscapes. I think the sky and atmosphere you have chosen is doing some sort of magic. Is there any post processing? It has a really nice quality to it I just dont feel I see everyday from Bryce. I'd say David's picture of the bridge has a similar effect from the atmosphere, in particular the haze. I'd not be surprised if you two were conjuring up some new stuff.

Michael, Beautiful and slightly frightening all at once, like usual. Amazing!

Jamahoney, Wowow. I'm really impressed. That light bulb at first looks like a perfect photo!

Guss, You know, everything you are making is impressive. Love the multiple different directions your mind is always moving in.

edited December 1969

@Rashad: Thank you very much. With so much for me to learn, I find it difficult to move in only one direction. It could even be called ADHD, which, at times, is how it feels to me.

edited December 1969

@M1chaelFrank - thank you!

@Jay - as Rashad tells, displacement works if priority is set to low. But the results are not good enough to create a planet. I've tried this a while ago (see picture). Part of the mountains extrude, others don't. The mountains get very angular. To be fair, the example exaggerates the height very much. But if you envision an asteroid like a sphere or a potato, you should be able to see such high altitudes. Displacement hasn't been developed fully. The only way to get something curved is using a lens.

@GussNemo - good, those boxes got a home. Cupboard is very nicely done.

@Rashad - thank you. The scenes use skies from the Deep Space HDRI products of David and myself. No post processing, I'm a Bryce purist, you know, and I don't mind tweaking endlessly.

Disp.jpg
    670 x 600 - 71K
    edited April 2014

Savage...yumm...chocolate - so that's why I like Easter ;-P

Sean...that might be my problem - thanks for the heads-up...will have to revisit the experiment again when I get the chance (in the middle of another glass-type work render).

Rashad...again, thanks for the compliment, and the advice on the displacement. As for the next Bryce update - will wait in anticipation ;)

Guss... nice one....that reminds me...must get a pizza today ;)

Horo...yeah, your results are kinda like what I get, too. Other geo-type programs, which produce such bump-planets work, I think, from actual elevation data allowing better results, but with a simple global bump map all data points may be extruding radially the same from the central point of the supposed planet.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Title: "We come in arghhhhh…"

Just some messing around with the Mars Explorer by midnight_stories (thanks for the link Jay!).

Other credits:
    Gray Alien - DAZ3D
    Class II Galactic Cruiser - Herminio @sharecg
    Huts - Modo Bashing Kit with some extra detailing done in Modo.
    Rear mountain texture - David Brinnen form his Pro Materials pack.

Rendered with IBL and True Ambience @64 RPP about 2.5 hours.

Really enjoying everyone's images (when my Broadband is working LOL). Keep up the good work!

Mars_suit.jpg
    1000 x 741 - 250K
    edited April 2014

Geat work, Dan...those nasty aliens (why is it they never are friendly - what with all their advanced tech and knowledge). Hint, perhaps, on how we humans will eventually evolve as our tech does ;)

Yeah, it's a super Marsman/Suit - I recently used him/it briefly in an animation (Byrce animation, mind) to launch my new moon book (yeah, boasting), so fair dues to the modeller (I saw recently a female version is also available now).

I don't know what it is, but the face of the man inside the suit didn't have the skin textures when I transferred from DS to Byrce - he looked a bit pale. Bet it was some kind of leak in the suit, as you can't breathe on Mars ;)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Title: "We come in arghhhhh…"

Great Dan.

And of course as you'll see from my avatar, I'm a big fan of that Alien Grey. :cheese:

edited December 1969

With some divine inspiration today... I've come up with a whole new confectionery idea for Chocfest.

ChocJesus.jpg
    650 x 650 - 235K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 845
    edited December 1969

This thread is moving soo quick and all the images here are amazing.

I am a bit behind and still experimenting with texture mapping but on bryce made objects. As you can see, I am not really a designer, that's why the bottle and the box looks so old-fashioned :-). Box and bottle are modelled with Bryce. BTW Thanks David for the nice matchbox.

flasche_dose_zuendholz.jpg
    800 x 600 - 39K
    edited December 1969

@Dan - great space scene.

@Dave - I like that one. Great idea.

@electro-elvis - your models look great, I like the bottle most. Yeah, I did use drawn images on Bryce objects but not UV-mapped, rather used objects like booleaned cylinders and 3D-faces. This works fine and is uncomplicated. The caveat is when the model is re-scaled.

edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you. That earth image is fine work.

@Jay: Thanks. Pizza? Sounds good to me.

@Dan: Nice work.

@Dave: A rather unusual chocolate image. Still, nice work.

@electro: Really nice work.

I finally took the time to give David's latest tutorials a try. The first image is the glass sphere and lighting tut--the hollow sphere and glass bowl are included. The hollow sphere is on the right. The sphere on the left is the boolean one. Next is the triply twist it object. I went one step further and shell extruded the interior in order to add color, which I play with for some time.

Triply_twisted_cylinder_extruded_3.png
    575 x 575 - 608K
    Triply_twisted_cylinder_purple_1.png
    575 x 575 - 459K
    Triply_twisted_cylinder_oxidized_bronze_1.png
    575 x 575 - 509K
    Triply_twisted_cylinder_green_2.png
    575 x 575 - 569K
    Sphere_Bowl_experiment_7.png
    1330 x 665 - 960K
    edited December 1969

Excellent renders by everyone.

Guss – very impressive modeling –the kitchen cabinets are great. The triply twist renders are awesome. I must try the shell extrude you did.

Any ways here’s my take on the Wings 3D - triply twist it (mobius space - by David Brinnen

triplytwistedmobius.jpg
    600 x 600 - 40K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Thank you. Love your choice of material for that tutorial. I like the amount of reflections.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo - glasses came out nicely. Tripple Möbius, or how it's called, came out fine. Extruding the interior made a great difference. I like the transparent best.

@mermaid010 - yours looks great, too. So smooth and reflecting with the chocolate colour.

edited April 2014

Thanks Guss and Horo

I’m experimenting with lighting and materials using a simple scene. After re and reviewing David’s and Horo’s videos on lighting, I used the same scene with different lighting. All are Regular renders and have some Soft Shadows.

The first is just the Custom sky (no Hdri) and the 2nd with Hdri using a custom sky but the sky dome only and the 3rd is a custom sky used as a Hdri

Edited: the 2nd one is my fav ;)

wingsplantlighting3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 234K
    wingsplantlighting2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 285K
    wingswithplants.jpg
    600 x 600 - 236K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

I started this one as an entry to the Spring Render Challenge, but abandoned it. Thought I'd post it here as I may come back to it to see if I can make it work. :)

Any suggestions?

Riverfish2.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 249K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,754
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64. Would have liked darker chocolat, but otherwise: nice ideas. But your Jezus does look rather female in the face and appears to really enjoy his/her time on the cross. Where's the suffering?

@electro-elvis: very nice mapping. I still haven't gotten that far.

@GussNemo: what a wonderful glassy thingies!

@mermaid010: impressive that you made a whole scene just to be reflected in your twist!
    And your lighting experiments are also very nice. I tend to prefer the third one, but you might want to lower the light level in the sky a little.

@TheSavage64 again: Very nice start. I think, for a scene with so limited depth, DOF is not really something you want to use extensively. Maybe just a little less of that? And, of course, the fish should have some colour. Maybe also colour your dragonfly a little more bluegreenish and shiny?

Here is my second 'Spooky' render. Not so much fog this time, but more spooky colours. I think I'll try another one with more fog again.

spooky2.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 408K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - Nice scene. I also find the second version the best.

@Dave - good start. That should be snow, right?

@hansmar - quite spooky looking.

This discussion has been closed.