July, 2020 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Portrait Rendering and LIE

Comments

• sueyasueya Posts: 825

I've decided to make this my final image for this month's contest

• eligodesigneligodesign Posts: 69
    edited July 2020

Here is a corrected render. It indeed looks better now. Kismet, I have a question regarding make up as LIE. When I use LIE on a female character, the lipstick color turns much darker: What can I do about to have the same color as used in Affinity Photo? In my entry the red color of the face paint has not changed, probably while it is placed over the base black color. But if I use only red color (or a shade of magenta) it turns much darker. Should I use CMYK or RGB? In the surfaces tab I place the png layer under Base Color and Translucency. Is it better to place it under Top Coat and do some changes in the settings?

ED_TOSHIRO_LIE_2_SIG.jpg
    919 x 919 - 919K
    Post edited by eligodesign on
  • Daedalus-7Daedalus-7 Posts: 198
    edited July 2020

So here's my entry #2 (we are still allowed those? right?). Featuring Catoon, but I manually changed its eye color (I edited the texture's hue in Photoshop, then loaded the texture in the proper slot).

ENTRY #2: You can trust me...I'm a cat. 

"You know it. A cat is Man's best friend. Here, take this potion..."

Beginner Challenge "Portrait Rendering (Expressions and Lighting)"

[FINAL VERSION, Daz Studio - Iray Render]

Catoon JPG (alt bg 2.1).jpg
    1000 x 1287 - 1M
    Post edited by Daedalus-7 on
    edited July 2020

@eligodesign I like what you did with the L.I.E. editor, very creative!

• My only criticism would be that the tattoo on stomach seems a bit...out of place. Don't get me wrong, it's cool but it doesn't exactly remind me of an eastern culture like the one on the arm. Perhaps something like a Tao? 
    • Another tip I wanted to give you is about the opacity of the LIE images you are using, from my experience going a bit lower than 100% (I use 80% but you should experiment) can give you a bit of a more realistic look since the tatoos blend a bit with skin. 
    • Always use RGB, CMY is for printed paper.
    • Maybe your skin is a bit different, so try adding the png on Base Color, Translucency and Glossy Color. Sometimes it requires all three.

Just my opinions on the matter. :)

• 0996ps0996ps Posts: 182
    edited July 2020

Beginner Challenge - July 2020 Portrait Rendering
    Title  - Rainy Nights

Original before postwork:

Entry:
    Tone-mapped With lightroom

I did not add lights but I did post worked the tone-mapping on the original using lightroom. What I have changed include but not limited to is Contrast, dehaze, clarity, texture, saturation, vibrance, curves, etc.

2020 July Daz 3D Beginners Challenge - Rainy Nights Compressed Fix.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
    2020 July Daz 3D Beginners Challenge - Rainy Nights Raw Compressed.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 2M
    Post edited by 0996ps on
  • jecswpjecswp Posts: 24
    edited July 2020

I have settled on these as my entries for the beginner contest.  I am very proud of my previous entry, but I am much happier with the environments and expressions I was able to get and these two represent much better the direction I want to go in. 

First is Charlie at Cheirocrates.  

Charlie HD

Cheirocrates

Agate Noire

Perrin Hair

Next is Ruya

Aiko 8

Lake Muirne

Leony Wet & Dry Ponytail

Charlie Cheiro HD.png
    667 x 1080 - 1M
    Ruya Lake HD.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by jecswp on
  • My entry for Portrait Rendering (Expressions and Lighting)

The model is a custom morph I've been working on, in the likeness of an old friend. The set is Loft for Lease with the Dance Studio add-on. Lighting is completely custom.

I'm not 100% happy with the fill light on her face, but I don't have time to adjust and re-render if I want to submit it for this. (The photographer in me just had to have a massive mirror in my scene, driving the render time up to hours instead of minutes.  indecision)

Dancer_600x750.png
    600 x 750 - 893K
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 74
    edited July 2020

Beginner Challenge: Portrait Rendering (Expressions and Lighting)

Rendered in Daz Studio with Iray.

Title: Lucent Thoughts

My second entry.

This time I used larger DOF and made sure the white jumpsuit was not overexposed.

LucentThoughts_byBlueFox.jpg
    1645 x 700 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Alias52Alias52 Posts: 283

I have been having lots of fun playing with scenes and then decided to go back to characters again at the end of the month, so thought I would put it up here as another one!

Goth Girl.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 2M
    edited July 2020

@jecswp I love your images so, if you will allow me, let me make a few notes:

Charlie at Cheirocrates: Amazing expression and framing. The only critique is that the character seems to be lacking...highlights. The background, on the oher hand is quite well balanced in terms of luminosity.

Ruya: I like the concept BUT:

• The plants in the front seem to be flat, as in they seem to be 2D images with a transparency put on a plane (it's a trick to save system resources) or very low poly 3d objects (I suspect the latter). Since they are in the very front of the image they need to be at their best, and should be rotated to maintain the illusion of being full 3D instead.
    • The Hair: There was something bothering me about it unitl I pinned it down. Wet hair is heavy. It just goes straight down. Yours seems to be wet, yet behaving as dry and light.
    • The Wind: Notice this. The plants are being bent as if there is a wind going left to right. The hair is being moved as if there is a wind moving them right to left

Again, these are just some things to consider if you want to achieve a bit more realism. 

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

Here is a corrected render. It indeed looks better now. Kismet, I have a question regarding make up as LIE. When I use LIE on a female character, the lipstick color turns much darker: What can I do about to have the same color as used in Affinity Photo? In my entry the red color of the face paint has not changed, probably while it is placed over the base black color. But if I use only red color (or a shade of magenta) it turns much darker. Should I use CMYK or RGB? In the surfaces tab I place the png layer under Base Color and Translucency. Is it better to place it under Top Coat and do some changes in the settings?

I have not tried to adjust the colour in LIE myself.  I have adjusted the size and location my moving it around.  I asked the other Community Volunteers to see if any of them might have an answer for you and this is the suggestion I received.

"RGB, and changing the translucency colour will affect tone - lighter trans gives darker result, I think.

Using topcoat would obviate the need for LIE at all, if there isn't anything there initially."

I hope this helps.

daedalus7 said:

So here's my entry #2 (we are still allowed those? right?). Featuring Catoon, but I manually changed its eye color (I edited the texture's hue in Photoshop, then loaded the texture in the proper slot).

ENTRY #2: You can trust me...I'm a cat.

"You know it. A cat is Man's best friend. Here, take this potion..."

Yes a 2nd entry is allowed.

Not sure I quite trust that cat though.  wink

Beginner Challenge - July 2020 Portrait Rendering
    Title  - Rainy Nights

Original before postwork:

Entry:
    Tone-mapped With lightroom

I did not add lights but I did post worked the tone-mapping on the original using lightroom. What I have changed include but not limited to is Contrast, dehaze, clarity, texture, saturation, vibrance, curves, etc.

Lovely portrait.  And of course the postworked version is much more vibrant in colour.

jecswp said:

I have settled on these as my entries for the beginner contest.  I am very proud of my previous entry, but I am much happier with the environments and expressions I was able to get and these two represent much better the direction I want to go in. 

First is Charlie at Cheirocrates.  

Charlie HD

Cheirocrates

Agate Noire

Perrin Hair

Next is Ruya

Aiko 8

Lake Muirne

Leony Wet & Dry Ponytail

These are wonderful entries.

Water is not easy to work with.  Nicely done.

My entry for Portrait Rendering (Expressions and Lighting)

The model is a custom morph I've been working on, in the likeness of an old friend. The set is Loft for Lease with the Dance Studio add-on. Lighting is completely custom.

I'm not 100% happy with the fill light on her face, but I don't have time to adjust and re-render if I want to submit it for this. (The photographer in me just had to have a massive mirror in my scene, driving the render time up to hours instead of minutes.  indecision)

Huge reflective surface bouncing light in every possible direction...ya...that would do it.

I have used mirrors but they tend to be smaller.  Not sure I have the patience to wait for a render with a mirror of that size.

BlueFox said:

My second entry.

This time I used larger DOF and made sure the white jumpsuit was not overexposed.

He does look lost in thought.  You did an excellent job with the posing and his expression.

edited July 2020
    Alias52 said:

I have been having lots of fun playing with scenes and then decided to go back to characters again at the end of the month, so thought I would put it up here as another one!

This gives me the impression of a candid shot taken by the photographer.  She has the look of someone trying to make a difficult decision.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • jecswpjecswp Posts: 24
    edited July 2020

daedalus7 said:

@jecswp I love your images so, if you will allow me, let me make a few notes:

Charlie at Cheirocrates: Amazing expression and framing. The only critique is that the character seems to be lacking...highlights. The background, on the oher hand is quite well balanced in terms of luminosity.

Ruya: I like the concept BUT:

• The plants in the front seem to be flat, as in they seem to be 2D images with a transparency put on a plane (it's a trick to save system resources) or very low poly 3d objects (I suspect the latter). Since they are in the very front of the image they need to be at their best, and should be rotated to maintain the illusion of being full 3D instead.
    • The Hair: There was something bothering me about it unitl I pinned it down. Wet hair is heavy. It just goes straight down. Yours seems to be wet, yet behaving as dry and light.
    • The Wind: Notice this. The plants are being bent as if there is a wind going left to right. The hair is being moved as if there is a wind moving them right to left

Again, these are just some things to consider if you want to achieve a bit more realism. 

@daedalus7 Thank you for the kind words and suggestions.  First, let me say, I admire your submissions.  Your backgrounds are gorgeous and your characters are very powerful and alive.

Regarding Charlie at Cheirocrates, I like the lighting for what the scene is; a dark-clad figure peeking out of a hidden alcove poorly lit by a streetlamp.  But I know it needs some highlights as you suggest.  I really like the way her hair looks in this picture, but it bothers me that it comes from a light that shouldn't be there.  I know there's a way to do it without looking like it's being done. I would welcome any advice on how to proceed.

Regarding Ruya, Guilty as charged on all counts laugh The environment is one object so I can't position or even remove them.  So I decided to  narrow my focus so fewer of them are in the shot and hope the DOF blur made the remaining ones less offensive.  

Charlie at Cheirocrates 2 HD.png
    667 x 1080 - 1M
    Ruya Lake 2 HD.png
    667 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by jecswp on
  • daedalus7 said:

@eligodesign I like what you did with the L.I.E. editor, very creative!

• My only criticism would be that the tattoo on stomach seems a bit...out of place. Don't get me wrong, it's cool but it doesn't exactly remind me of an eastern culture like the one on the arm. Perhaps something like a Tao? 
    • Another tip I wanted to give you is about the opacity of the LIE images you are using, from my experience going a bit lower than 100% (I use 80% but you should experiment) can give you a bit of a more realistic look since the tatoos blend a bit with skin. 
    • Always use RGB, CMY is for printed paper.
    • Maybe your skin is a bit different, so try adding the png on Base Color, Translucency and Glossy Color. Sometimes it requires all three.

Just my opinions on the matter. :)

Thank you very much for your tips. Yes, he is going to have more tattoos and body paint. I'm working on it. :) There is also one good tip for tattoos or make up created with vector shapes. To use a blur filter to soften the edges. In this way they are going to blend more with the skin and look more "natural".

• Here is a corrected render. It indeed looks better now. Kismet, I have a question regarding make up as LIE. When I use LIE on a female character, the lipstick color turns much darker: What can I do about to have the same color as used in Affinity Photo? In my entry the red color of the face paint has not changed, probably while it is placed over the base black color. But if I use only red color (or a shade of magenta) it turns much darker. Should I use CMYK or RGB? In the surfaces tab I place the png layer under Base Color and Translucency. Is it better to place it under Top Coat and do some changes in the settings?

I have not tried to adjust the colour in LIE myself.  I have adjusted the size and location my moving it around.  I asked the other Community Volunteers to see if any of them might have an answer for you and this is the suggestion I received.

"RGB, and changing the translucency colour will affect tone - lighter trans gives darker result, I think.

Using topcoat would obviate the need for LIE at all, if there isn't anything there initially."

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much Kismet :) I'm going to try it out and work more on translucency.

• daer-thingdaer-thing Posts: 50
    edited August 2020

My super last minute entry for this month's intermediate challenge, L.I.E.
    Salvaged some stuff from my beginner challenge entry (used a different kimono because the first one just didn't want to cooperate with this pose).
    Wanted a completely custom leg tattoo but all the cool japanese style calf tattoo patterns I found online were probably subject to copyright and have no idea how such textures can be used legally.

Title: Black porch nostalgia
    Finally allowed to go on vacation, Tamiko is now sitting at the back porch of the old family property with tea and delicious home made mochi. Watching the old red maple tree in the garden she can't help but feel the nostalgia and some regret taking over her.

Software used: Daz Studio for render and Photoshop for tone mapping and whatnot.

Expression is from K-pow pose &expression pack then further adjusted manually for a more sulky/thoughtful/pouty look.

LIE items used in the scene:
    For the the rice powder on her face (although it's super subtle) and the eyeliners the LIE makeup options from the Grace Yong product were used.
    For the leg tattoo eventually I used a G8M asian LIE tattoo product and adjusted its position with LIE editor (from left to right leg).

Attached both raw and postwork versions.
    All comments and feedback are welcome (even if cannot modify the images, I'm happy to learn from my mistakes)

Back porch nostalgia raw.jpg
    1067 x 1600 - 940K
    Back porch nostalgia pw.jpg
    1067 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by daer-thing on
  • phong3dphong3d Posts: 15
    edited July 2020
    BlueFox said:

My second entry.

This is superb. There's an entire story there. 

Post edited by phong3d on
  • AZDigitalArtistAZDigitalArtist Posts: 773
    edited August 2020

Leaves......Intermediate.

bahari leaves.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by AZDigitalArtist on
  • Portrait Rendering (Expressions and Lighting)

Guardian of the Moon​

2944 iterations
    Rendering Time: 22 minutes 13.6 seconds

Character: Loomie La Fee G8 
    Morphs Body: Young Generation Girls, Beauties for G8F and EJ Body Shape And Detail Morphs
    Morphs Ears: SY 200 Morphs for Genesis 8 Head and Body
    Skin Surface: ShaderPlan Glitter
    Lips Surface: LIE Make-up Set 2, just shine purple
    Nails: Hand Salon with Finger Jewelery Indian Inspiration

Hair: Calista Tail, Lashes Utilities
    Clothing: Warrior of Dusk G8

Prop: Technomancer Sphere

Skydome: Orestes Iray HDRI Skies - Fantasy Moon

Filter rendering: Fast Production Lights

No bright spot. Emissive ambient light only. No photoshop.

I hope I have achieved the objective of the topic.
    All tips and observations are welcome!

I like your posing and the camera angle.  You have some interesting shadows on her face.  I think you were smart to use a lighter colour palette with her hair, makeup and elements in her outfit.

I like the shot of blue from the orb but it does have a tendency to draw my eye...but then the moon behind her head tends to draw it back.

Thank you! I'm really happy with your observation! You have a surgically artistic look! There is no better description!

• Portrait Rendering (Expressions and Lighting)

Black Widow

Hopefully it is on time for the second round!
    I hope it's good, because I have no way to redo the scene! I accidentally deleted the project! ????

VYK Calliope G8 The Ladies of the Night Series.jpg
    1920 x 1920 - 4M

The Challenge is now CLOSED

BlueFox said:

My second entry.

He does look lost in thought.  You did an excellent job with the posing and his expression.

Thank you Kismet! :) I was really happy with how this turned out.

phong3d said:
    BlueFox said:

My second entry.

This is superb. There's an entire story there. 

Thank you! :)

• @Kismet

I tested the make up LIE and translucency. It worked so well. smiley You have to change the shade of the translucency color (default is red) from dark to light. Do this only on the lips in the surfaces tab not on the face. The lighter shade of red won't darken the color used for LIE.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783
    edited August 2020

July 2020

Showcased Participants for the July Beginners "Portrait Rendering" Challenge

phong3d

cirtebpsu

AndyAkins

Showcased Participants for the July Intermediate "LIE" Challenge

eligodesign

daedalus-7

LilliumVA

New User Welcome

ekke2020

Gamble

CONGRATULATIONS to all the Winners! And to everyone who participating, you all did an amazing job!

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on