The Doctor Appreciation thread

Comments

• DodgerDodger Posts: 304

"only three opening panels were ever revealed" oh, there's definitely 4. Probably 5.

There's:
    1: Buttons with amber at the top, which may be two (one with typewriter keys, one with toggles)
    2: Buttons with blue at the top and no side thingama jawn stripey whatchamafrakkit chingadera whooseywhatsis.

3: Circle buttons that are probably just (poorly) positioned stickers
    4: Writing desk

so if #1 is two, as it seems, then that's all but one accounted for. Thanks goodness that site actually manages to get pjhotos. I could SEE them, but I don't have the resources to try and load a whole episode into a video editor and I can't pause that precisely, especially when these are all converted from fuzzy analog videotape!

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,574
    edited July 2020

Maybe this will illustrate my "perception" better.

Mind you, these are just quickly "drafted" by models with no detail and admittedly the mesauremments are not exact.

Your wall with the view screen looks like this (at least to me) with the screen (and its frame) recessed very shallow, probably not as deep as the walls to either side.

Whereas looking screen captures (shot from "The Deadly Assassin" when the Doctor wathes the guards approaching) show the screen abd it frame deeply recessed, arguably deeper than the side walls with the roundels.

Again, I will consider the possiblity my eyes are playing tricks on me, but that's honestly how I "perceived" that set construction all these decades.

I promise to say no about it unless you directly ask me a question about it.

Sincerely,

Bill

Screen-Shallow-J-1.jpg
    800 x 598 - 90K
    Screen-Deep-J-1.jpg
    800 x 593 - 85K
    Post edited by Redfern on

It's like this (poser import colours, no material settings).

This matches the measurements given at your TARDIS bulders site and my observations.

TARDIS Secondary 5.jpg
    1602 x 1215 - 1M
  • grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    Dodger said:

It's like this (poser import colours, no material settings).

This matches the measurements given at your TARDIS bulders site and my observations.

This looks really nice, very nice looking work.  I made one of these but I just eyeballed it and didn't strive for screen accuracy.  It's shared on sharecg, for what it's worth.  The cabinet doors on the console are a bit wonky for some reason and there are parts where they UV map sucks and I made textures for the stained glass that isn't anything like what's on TV but it's free for those looking for a simple prop.  

https://sharecg.com/v/68324/view/11/Poser/TARDIS-Alternate-Console-Room#

Ah, okay, I will assume then you referenced Tony Farrell's illustrations in this particular thread...

https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8407.0

(The drawings appear small "inline", but if selected, they can be expanded to their original sizes.)

...as they are the closest to being the definitive elevation drawings for the Newberry set.

If nothing else, Farrell's knowledge, research and expertise was good enough to help land him a job helping to recreate the original Brachacki recording set for "An Adventure in Space and Time", a movie dramatization detailing how William Hartnell landed the role of the titular character in 1963.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited July 2020

OK this jawn textured so far.

TARDIS Secondary 6.jpg
    1602 x 1215 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited July 2020

*boink*

TARDIS Secondary 8a.jpg
    1602 x 1215 - 1M
    edited July 2020

I think it will be ok

TARDIS Secondary 8b.jpg
    1602 x 1215 - 1M
    edited July 2020

Yup it's done.

I'm not making the chair. I don't like making chairs.

TARDIS Secondary 8c.jpg
    1602 x 1215 - 1M
    edited July 2020
    Dodger said:

I think it will be ok

Wow!  This shot really caught that "mult camera" BBC Studio lighting.  One expects Tom Baker to enter the room through the interior door!

Sincerely,

Bill

An elevation drawing Mr. Farrell apparently did not post earlier.

https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1103.0;attach=231696;image

I don't expect changes this late in the game; I just wanted to provide evidence that I was not simply talking out of my hat.

Sincerely,

Bill

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

Very well done on the console room.  It's a favorite of mine but I understand why it might be tough to film in .. very compressed.  But for lasting impact I think it opened the door for all the more eclectic console rooms both official (like McGann's) and fan made. 

I had always gotten the impression the wooden console room was retired because K-9 would have fallen off the dais.

edited July 2020

BTW I know of no reason this shouldn't work fine in DAZ|Studio as well, but you will have to fix the materials because it never imports them right.

Post edited by Dodger on
    edited July 2020

Maybe I should make some corridors, too, then. Mismatched, like I really think they should be.

TARDISCorridors2010.jpg
    5120 x 2782 - 1M

I sort of kinda of think if I never had to worry about anything else, I might just go ahead and make ALL of the interior TARDIS rooms, food machine room, bedrooms, sick bay, boot cupboard, ancillary power station/art gallery, all the swimming pools, zero room, all the types of corridors from the ones above from The Doctor's Wife to the Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS ones to the regular roundel ones to the weird basement ones in The Invasion of Time part VI, to the storage room with the cradle (and possibly a dusty Chameleon) to the garden to the eye of harmony from both above and below (I've gone with the idea that the Eye of Harmony seen in the 1996 movie is the view from above, but after that debacle the Doctor just unlocked it, leading to the "don't look up" bridge in Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS), and ALL of the console rooms/desktop themes, even the often overlooked "washing up bowl" one.

Then use those corridors and some interstitial connectors that fit into both and link them all up and make a game in, like, Unity or something (it's what I know a bit), though not really a game, just a sort of walking tour.

But alas, capitalism says no.

• blutobluto Posts: 823
    edited July 2020

i would really love to see the copper sexy console room or the chrystal mystery console room made

Post edited by bluto on
    edited July 2020

TARDIScorridor.png
    1602 x 1215 - 4M

Wow!  Already packaged and posted that one, I see.

https://sharecg.com/v/96111/browse/11/Poser/TARDIS-Corridors-2010

Whenever I see hexagonal corridors, I have this silly impulse to shout, "ARGH!  We have 'movie sign'!!!"

Sincerely,

Bill

I thought that was just doors 5 and 6? Some of them are square. One even has a toilet.

Right, the doors were of different shapes (one was even a medieval draw bridge), but the corridor in which they resided was hexagonal.  Well, during Joel's run the shape was more akin to a coffin turned upside down.  During Mike's years, the sequence was updated and the corridor was a "true" hexagon.  I think the audience was meant to assume Joel and Mike were dashing down the length of a hexagonal "tube" (one of two) that connected one pair of truncated icosahedrons to the other pair at the far end where the theater resided.

Sincerely,

Bill

So it must be hard to get through a 1st or 2nd season episode of Blakes 7.

Wouldn't know as it was never available on any of my PBS affiliates and I never made the effort to seel out the series since then.  I think I read somewhere it was never packaged on region 1 DVDs (may be just rumor) making availability even more problematic for us "bloody Yanks". wink

Sincerely,

Bill

PDSmith said:

Thought I'd try my hand at morphing the new companion.

found out by accident the perfect combo

Addy Syrah for the morph
    Addy Rayven for the skin.

what outfit fid you use

Rosemaryr said:

(Delurking Whovian here...)

I caught the Christmas special, and was particularly enthralled by Clara's dress. So, being a clothes freak and MD user, I just had to start working on one. It's not *exactly* the same: there are ruffles at the shirt-front instead of pin-tucks, and ruffles instead of gathers on the underskirt. But you can see the inspiration (I hope!). Still need to do texturing and detail work on it, though. I haven't decided on whether to tackle the bow that I *think* I see on top of the bustle.

did this ever get finnished up and is it an item to share

edited July 2020

Here's some more corridors. 2013 version.

I'm thinking I may also make a way to join various ones up, in inticipation of my silly idea above.

(note: fog not included)

2012 Corridors.png
    1602 x 1215 - 3M
    edited July 2020

connector20102013.png
    5120 x 2782 - 1M

Oh!  I didn't realize you had already uploaded this version.

Amusing notion to have "linking" pieces to "segue" from one motif to another.

You're not gonna' depict the "brick and mortar" hallways and stairwells we saw in "The Invasion of Time" are you?  I understand the real life reasoning behind it and the "in story' explanation that "internal configuration" circuits can make the place look like anything, but...oy...  Too bad the production was not able to use a building with Greco-Roman motifs rather than "Birmingham Industrial" (for lack of a better description).

Sincerely,

Bill

I actually have Invasion pt VI on pause right now, considering it.

There's something fun about it. Especially the weirdness of the "ancillary power station" that looks like a hastily assembled art gallery in a dirty cellar.