Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 13

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    Novica said:

Hopefully they will put more emphasis on bogus coding and have a security system in place to ensure this type of coding or a real virus isn't put in the system.

I believe that is the plan.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

This banner popped up and left, just found the conversation. It still works, as noted in the thread. If you use it on a DO at 30% off, you end up with a 76% discount. I got the Aubrey Pro Bundle. That link will take you to the qualifying items.

edited July 2020

And the other sale (BE-THE-BEAST)  I got Deepseas Eagle Bundle and Ocean Wonders   I like what both of those have in them, you get a lot. I also got that Pixie Dragon thanks to a render on this thread. See, you guys make me spend money too! 

Post edited by Novica on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,249
    Novica said:

@gordig  I'm confused (nothing new)  Those don't look like Diane's brows at all, compared to the promos. Are you saying you used Bramble's textures and Diane's eyebrows? 

@nemesis10   Yeah, I'm glad I have that one. Refresh my memory, when did it depart for awhile?

Someone noticed it was gone around mid-May, so I'd say two months. Hm-m, 60 days...

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited July 2020

Oh, I forgot all about "Ocean Wonders" or I would have used the "Be-The-Beast" coupon before it ran out.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499

It figures that there would be a 40% off Age of Bullwarg after I got impatient and bought it on Sunday.  Oh well time for the return dance with support heh

It figures that there would be a 40% off Age of Bullwarg after I got impatient and bought it on Sunday.  Oh well time for the return dance with support heh

Yeah, I often forget about the 30 day thing, but mostly because when I buy something, it triggers a discount for other things and if I return it, the prices would shoot up on everything else. I do wish they would get the Orders in My Account to match the emails, which show the actual cart. 

That character today for Bullwarg is adorable, isn't it? heart

Oh, I forgot all about "Ocean Wonders" or I would have used the "Be-The-Beast" coupon before it ran out.

Well, good to know I prompted your memory so you can grab it next time. They do seem to repeat the offerings, thank goodness. I imagine it's because since the page is set up, they probably grab chunks of products and repost groups instead of inputting them all again.

We get quite a bit included with that product so thought it was worth mentioning. LOL we can all use the Sea Life Packs 1 and 2 with it. 

Taoz said:

Interesting!  I've always wondered if most companies online have a two step authentication system in place to access critical information. I'm not sure how all that works, but sounds ultra practical.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    Novica said:

Isn't it!  Now I wish I had gotten Bullwarg although I still don't know what I would do with them. Its ok though theres always another sale!!

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited July 2020

This is something most will know about but I just got around to do it.

Are there things you use a lot but have to go looking for them every time you need them?

I created a Favourites Menu in Studio and added the  things I use the most to it which saves me looking through the Library. 

Click on image for full size.

favourites-menu-01.jpg
    1920 x 1037 - 361K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited July 2020

huh.. I didn't even know that was possible, got to look into that me thinks :) Thanks @Fishtales

Post edited by Carola O on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    Carola O said:

huh.. I didn't even know that was possible, got to look into that me thinks :) Thanks @Fishtales

Don't forget to save the Layout if you don't it will be removed the next time you load Studio.

Good tips, thanks Sandy!

BTW -  This was noted in the sales thread by Rawb. NEW STORE SOFTWARE.  

Novica said:

Well, good to know I prompted your memory so you can grab it next time. They do seem to repeat the offerings, thank goodness. I imagine it's because since the page is set up, they probably grab chunks of products and repost groups instead of inputting them all again.

We get quite a bit included with that product so thought it was worth mentioning. LOL we can all use the Sea Life Packs 1 and 2 with it. 

Well my PC+ is about to run out but that's just a PA product so I might buy at full price eventually. I'm about shopped out here really. LOL, it's a weird feeling but sort of like knowing I only like one paw paw tree and 2 medlar trees to complete my yard, it's a good feeling. Now from here on out, it's pure luxury shopping for my yard, mostly for flowers or flowering small shrubs! I have to improve quite a bit of topsoil near my house foundation first though.

edited July 2020
    Novica said:
    Taoz said:

Interesting!  I've always wondered if most companies online have a two step authentication system in place to access critical information. I'm not sure how all that works, but sounds ultra practical.

I'm turning that on for every online account that I have that has it, eg it is now turned on on all email addresses I use, all Apple accounts I have, all Microsoft, all Google, & all social media accounts I have, also all 'game engine' accounts I have; after one of my game engine accounts had someone trying to bust in as those game engine websites are known to have a lot of scammers on them and are attacked by a lot of scammers from the outside too.

I still have to check all my financial and shopping accounts to turn on two-factor authentication and some of the shopping sites I don't expect it on until 2FA becomes a standard turnkey solution that they are all provided with by their eCommerce Shopping Site Software provider. DAZ 3D would be in that boat.

It's a hassle to setup initially but it does allow you to set a device as a recognized device so that it doesn't ask for 2FA everytime you use the account. However, make sure you setup and have available the 2FA backup recovery codes, phone numbers, and emails in case you loose your phone or trade it in and oops, you forgot, the 2FA apps and email clients and phone numbers where all on that single hardware device that became the single point of failure.

Also the 2FA apps that I use, Microsoft Authenticator and Google Authenticator, seem to be only on iOS and Android only when of course I'd like to install them on my Windows 10 PCs.

Novica said:

Indeed it is and I will be grabbing that once support finishes with the refund process.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    Novica said:
    Taoz said:

I'm turning that on for every online account that I have that has it, eg it is now turned on on all email addresses I use, all Apple accounts I have, all Microsoft, all Google, & all social media accounts I have, also all 'game engine' accounts I have; after one of my game engine accounts had someone trying to bust in as those game engine websites are known to have a lot of scammers on them and are attacked by a lot of scammers from the outside too.

I still have to check all my financial and shopping accounts to turn on two-factor authentication and some of the shopping sites I don't expect it on until 2FA becomes a standard turnkey solution that they are all provided with by their eCommerce Shopping Site Software provider. DAZ 3D would be in that boat.

It's a hassle to setup initially but it does allow you to set a device as a recognized device so that it doesn't ask for 2FA everytime you use the account. However, make sure you setup and have available the 2FA backup recovery codes, phone numbers, and emails in case you loose your phone or trade it in and oops, you forgot, the 2FA apps and email clients and phone numbers where all on that single hardware device that became the single point of failure.

Also the 2FA apps that I use, Microsoft Authenticator and Google Authenticator, seem to be only on iOS and Android only when of course I'd like to install them on my Windows 10 PCs.

Authy is really good, and I think might run on both.

Novica said:
    Taoz said:

Authy is really good, and I think might run on both.

OK thanks

So, rumor has it that Aery Soul MIGHT be considering re-releasing some of their older discontinued products with the disclaimer that there will be no support for anything.  Personally I think this would be fantastic as there were a number of excellent products I was unable to purchase at the time and I wish I had now.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732

So, rumor has it that Aery Soul MIGHT be considering re-releasing some of their older discontinued products with the disclaimer that there will be no support for anything.  Personally I think this would be fantastic as there were a number of excellent products I was unable to purchase at the time and I wish I had now.

I never understood why they would withdraw older products - it just means less income and annoyed customers. 

edited July 2020

Heu folk, those of you that haven't yet used an 2FA Authenticator there is also the Oracle Mobile Authenticator runs on Windows 10, iOS, & Android. Probably osX as well although I don't remember it being mentioned. Of course part of security is logging who tries to use an Authenticator, where they try to use it, and on what devices they use it on something that Google, Microsoft, Apple, Google and the others log in their databases on those of us that use it. 

I'm not concerned about that logging of my logins as such businesses should keep track of whether it's actually the stated customer using their own accounts and not someone that's broke into their systems such as what happened on twitter yesterday. 

I'm just popping in to mention (and haven't checked to see if it's been told elsewhere, I assume so) that you need to check, there are possibly TWO purple banners and you won't see the second one unless you X out of the first. I have one for each bundle.

Oh ouch. From 7:30am on Friday (July 17) to 1:30am today (18th) the United States had 71,285 more cases.

576,430 jumped to 647,715.  Yeah, we're on our way to 100,000 cases a day, just like Fauci said. I am SO glad I don't have school age children. My sister is a Special Education teacher and all her kids were great with the virtual interaction with her, they really liked it! So she has put in the request to do that. The district is asking teachers over in Jacksonville their preferences.

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    Novica said:

Oh ouch. From 7:30am on Friday (July 17) to 1:30am today (18th) the United States had 71,285 more cases.

576,430 jumped to 647,715.  Yeah, we're on our way to 100,000 cases a day, just like Fauci said. I am SO glad I don't have school age children. My sister is a Special Education teacher and all her kids were great with the virtual interaction with her, they really liked it! So she has put in the request to do that. The district is asking teachers over in Jacksonville their preferences.

Wow!  The district I work for did not ask preferences and we were told everyone will report to campuses on August 10th.

• Novica said:

I'm just popping in to mention (and haven't checked to see if it's been told elsewhere, I assume so) that you need to check, there are possibly TWO purple banners and you won't see the second one unless you X out of the first. I have one for each bundle.

or check Messages in the person menu at top-right, or in your account pages.

edited July 2020

http://trackthetropics.com/hurricane-season/   Track The Tropics is a site I found recently, it shows the path of the disturbance by about Friday. Folks in western Texas / Texas may have a tropical whatever by then. Hey, we have TS for Tropical Storms, TD for Tropical Depressions, and TW for Tropical Whatevers. Anyway, thought I would give you Texans a heads up.  You may want to start at the main page.

Post edited by Novica on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited July 2020

By the way the recent Alexei for G8M skin material set has a problem with the materials for the mouth as you can see on the Jonathan HD for Ollie 8 I used here in this render test.

Sorry to bump an older post, but I just ran across it and thought this might be a little helpful, since your post was helpful to me in finding that there was a problem. (Amazing what you miss when you don't have a character smile widely.)

What I wound up doing was comparing Alexei's mouth settings with Dain's settings, since he's the only major character that's anywhere near as fair as Alexei. What it looks like is that there are three settings that are the principal contributors to the rosy glow:

1) Base Color Effect - Dain's was set to Scatter Only, Alexei's to Scatter and Transmit. (Honestly, I'd have thought Scatter and Transmit was correct, since mouths are fairly translucent, but apparently not. I think the mesh may not be thick enough for that to work, since structurally it has a chamber between the inside and outside of the mouth, and then the mouth itself is all sorts of hollow, and none of that is how a real human mouth is organized.

2) Translucency color - Dain's is a very dark brown, while Alexei's is white. In theory, that should work -- there's a color map in that slot, and it should simply transmit the color map information when the color is white. Again, I don't know why it doesn't work, but it doesn't. I set Alexei's to pink at first, then made it a LOT darker; that was the only way to get rid of the glow completely. (This one was the last step I took since it seemed so counterintuitive.) I think you can make it a bit lighter than I did and have it still be realistic; what the PA was trying to get at is that with a person, depending on angle, you can see into their mouth, and you can see color -- it's a bit strange if you're looking straight at them and only see inky blackness -- but that's due at least as much to wetness and reflection as anything else. It's really hard to get to that level of reflectivity with the inside of a Genesis 8 mouth without it looking kind of strange, so they aimed for translucency instead.

3) Thin Walled - Dain's default is ON; Alexei's default is OFF. I'm guessing that's interacting with the fact that Genesis 8 has more thin walls in their mouth than a person does.

To be sure, I basically set almost all of his mouth settings to match Dain's, but those three were the ones that had the most visible effect. I wound up leaving his teeth alone; they didn't seem to have anything to do with it.

Alexei's Default Mouth Settings:

Alexei's mouth default

Alexei's mouth with (mostly) Dain Settings:

alexei with dain's mouth settings

AlexeiMouth-afterDainSettings.png
    791 x 1024 - 1M
    alexeimouth-2-beforeDainSettings.png
    1280 x 1656 - 3M
    Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited July 2020

@vwrangler   I'll do a sticky post so to speak- make this one of my Tips in the references on the first page. I'll put it under Alexei Mouth Fix. EDIT: DONE, and credited.

I'm not going to be online for a bit, while it's cool outside (lol 78 degrees at 6:20am, real feel already 85) I'm going to do some more walking. Thanks so much for explaining the fix, he looks good!

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.