Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 4

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited March 2014

"Install new content, use Products View to Category full product (multi categories if doing so are done now). "

First, thanks for helping.
    I don't understand your first sentence at all- what are you saying?

I installed using DIM. The products are always showing up in Products. I use that to (EDIT, not "customize, should be-->) "Create A Category" and in Categories, I select the sub-folder and Accept. (or whatever.)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail has posted in my Art Studio regarding what to do. However, if you have any questions regarding your setup or how to do what we are referencing, those would be posted here and NOT in my art studio. Hope this helps you. :)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/38051/P165/#576674

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

Threads merged. Since you are receiving answers in your other thread please don't start new ones

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    "Install new content, use Products View to Category full product (multi categories if doing so are done now). "

First, thanks for helping.
    I don't understand your first sentence at all- what are you saying?

I installed using DIM. The products are always showing up in Products. I use that to (EDIT, not "customize, should be-->) "Create A Category" and in Categories, I select the sub-folder and Accept. (or whatever.)

I'm saying I use the Products view to move my items to the categories. It will show all content BOTH Poser format and DAZ Studio format I find everything for the one item in one folder which to me is the fastest way to add things to my Categories. If the content has two Product folders the Second folder is often the DS texture set for the Poser loads.
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

First off, sorry for jinxing you Novica ! I think instead of reorganizing what I have categorized all ready I would like to start over from scratch, so how do you reset the database so nothing shows under category except the default? Does reset database under DB maintenance do it?

If I just want to reimport the database is that reimport metadata under DB maintenance?

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Jaderail has posted in my Art Studio regarding what to do. However, if you have any questions regarding your setup or how to do what we are referencing, those would be posted here and NOT in my art studio. Hope this helps you. :)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/38051/P165/#576674

is this link supposed to take me to another forum or back to jaderail's post?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    First off, sorry for jinxing you Novica ! I think instead of reorganizing what I have categorized all ready I would like to start over from scratch, so how do you reset the database so nothing shows under category except the default? Does reset database under DB maintenance do it?

If I just want to reimport the database is that reimport metadata under DB maintenance?

"Reset database" will delete all categories except the default ones.

"Re-Import Metadata" will read the product metadata files and add them to the database. If you previously did "Export User Data" then that will also be listed among items to re-import.

edited August 2014

You didn't jinx me, lol.
    I checked, and all my content is there in Products and looks like in Smart Content, which I never use. I exported.
    Fixmypcmike is a pro- really helped me with starting from scratch. From what I understand, you don't want to start from scratch on everything whereas I reinstalled everything and that included the DIM and all contents. It's been quite a relief to do my characters and poses, still working on them but it's actually quite fun. That thread from last week will take you step by step and you can zip right along- the one where I put some of this onto D Directory so my C wouldn't fill up.

EDIT: I am editing this post August 21st 2014 to tell you what solved the Products and Categories that were suddenly missing- i had tried starting and stopping the CMService, closing the studio, etc- but this series of steps worked for me.

1. reimport meta data
    2. turn off Content Management Service THEN
    3. exit studio.
    4. Restart Content Management Service while still out of studio.
    5. Start studio.

My products and categories were there.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2014

Here is a Couple of CMS Database tips:

If you open DAZ Studio and the Smart content is not populated with Genesis1 or G2 loaded and selected you have problems. This I check after I do any categorizing in DAZ Studio.

If you open DAZ Studio and Smart content populates check your Products view. If it is no longer in order of 123ABC you have problems. This is the second thing I check.

If you can not create or move Categories but both of the above look normal you still have problems. That is why I do that as my last check before I do a Export User Data.

If any of those fail I have the last export of User Data and the Metadata to go back to. If needed I can delete the old Database and still recover everything up to that point. I hope this is helpful.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

@fixmypcmike - yes I think reset database is what I want, then I can start over on my categories from scratch thank you

@Novica - yes I don't want to start totally from scratch, just my categories, even tho DIM is quick to install and uninstall I don't need to do that. I notice in my products list under A even tho AoA advanced lights are listed they are empty categories. Anyone else have this happen

edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    @fixmypcmike - yes I think reset database is what I want, then I can start over on my categories from scratch thank you

@Novica - yes I don't want to start totally from scratch, just my categories, even tho DIM is quick to install and uninstall I don't need to do that. I notice in my products list under A even tho AoA advanced lights are listed they are empty categories. Anyone else have this happen

The AoA Folders, they should have content. That is a example of the database having errors. A Reset and a Re-Import of Metadata should fix that.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Kharma said:

The AoA Folders, they should have content. That is a example of the database having errors. A Reset and a Re-Import of Metadata should fix that.

Will try that, I guess I don't use the products list very often so never noticed there was nothing listed in those folders

edited December 1969

thank you both fixmypcmike and jaderail :)

I don't know why I can't move categories presently, every product I have checked is in Products and in Categories in the files I have created for them. I don't actually need to move anything, I was just testing it for Kharma.

edited December 1969

What I am currently doing is going back through the light tests to see what products I want to load first (taking a break from characters, plus I want to test/review some of the ones I haven't used yet.) This was the lighting test section in case anyone is interested. I will peruse through the second, third, and this thread to see which lights from NON light products are our favorites. (aka SereneNight likes Jason, I like one of the barn ones, etc)

I'll post the products I am pulling from the light tests, here is where I am re-visiting. Been awhile!
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19756/P945/#401508

edited December 1969

First of all, check your emails- currently a 15% off a 200.00 gift card purchase. (Would have been nice a few weeks ago when this started, my funds are ka-put. :)

Anyway, to summarize a few of the products with good light sets, I've surfed through about 50 pages from one of the previous art studio threads and so far found the following recommended by our talented thread supporters/friends. These are products that are NOT light products:

Andrea (for Young Teens) (Barbult and Scott-Livingston)
    Jasmin and Jason (Jason is one of Serene Night's favorites)
    Toon Amy
    Royal Stairs (Novica)
    Enchanted Island (Serene Night)
    Barn Yard (Novica)
    Toxic Goo (Serene Night)
    BRC Empathy (Novica)
    DMS Tunnel (PZ3-01 and PZ3-02)
    Jordan Hair (Serene Night)
    Tiki Island (Novica and Serene Night)

and I know there's quite a few more. There's a Helen or Helena if I recall, and a crypt/gazebo one that I'll have to find. Anyway, that's just 50 pages of skimming, will do more tomorrow. It's 4:30am, g'nite!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited March 2014

Invited Guest Contributor

I was tempted by today's sale to pick up a couple of Merlin's environment props. Here's my first look at The Forge by Merlin.
    The first image is my first out-of-the-box render of the interior (i.e. using the DS lights provided) from a wide-angle camera. The quite large number of pieces are separately-loadable in the Poser version (according to the ReadMe file list) but the DS version only has a "load all" interior preset. (I didn't realise this initially, so I only downloaded and installed the DS file - I'll probably go back and grab the Poser zip file so I can use the components here or in other settings - they do apparently have DS Mats for the pieces too.)
    For the second image I added a Genesis figure - he's Stolz by Phoenix1966, wearing clothes from The Executioner for Genesis by Age of Armour. This still uses the DS lights that came with The Forge, but with an added Advanced Spotlight on Stolz's skin only to brighten him up a little.
    The third and fourth images shows the exterior front and back. I added these because the promos don't really show the whole building. The ground plane is a primitive with the texture from the porch floor applied and I added a skybox from Flipmode's Easy Environments: Greenlands, but the lights are again the ones that come with The Forge. All the doors in the building can be opened, though the windows are fixed. I'm not 100% gone on the roof (looks a wee bit like a woven mat) but the rest of the building is nice enough and I really like the interior (which is why I bought the set anyway).

Merlins-Forge-04.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 336K
    Merlins-Forge-03.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 314K
    Merlins-Forge-02.jpg
    1024 x 896 - 370K
    Merlins-Forge-01.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 341K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited March 2014

very nice Melanie....I love Merlins things...

I could not pass this up great price ....The X- skirt for G2 by Cute3d http://www.daz3d.com/march-madness/x-skirt-for-genesis-2-female-s
    a lot of nice texture options....and a bunch of fixes and fits also...been gone awhile working on my lighting so hopefully I am a little better now....This is a bit longer than the other dresses that have come out lately also...I really like it ...Trish

colors_choices.jpg
    602 x 358 - 167K
    xdress1abc.jpg
    1367 x 1769 - 964K
    xdress1abcd.jpg
    1367 x 1769 - 894K
    xdress1a.jpg
    1367 x 1769 - 1M
    x1.jpg
    746 x 1758 - 300K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Trish - and you just sold me that dress too! (At an effective $2.82 I couldn't say no!)

edited December 1969

Hmm, I posted a couple hours ago and it never showed up. Knowing me, I x'd out by accident. :)
    Wanted to say I enjoyed seeing the inside of The Forge, I haven't used that one yet and I like the lighting. I think I'd use some bump on those roof pieces, have to agree they could use some pop or something. You did a very nice job showing all aspects of The Forge- thanks for sharing!

Trish, your lighting is good and it really shows off the swirls of the dress. It is a good deal, I was surprised at the price.

Will be putting both of these in the signature feature in the next day or so, after Wichiwi. (Unless there are objections. It helps people know when items are showcased.) :)

One product I have in my wishlist due to the poses (13) and campfire, which is in MM right now- it's 6.57 at 40% but $4.92 with discounts (and don't ask me, I am so confused by if it is my additional 10%, or the buying the second item, or both, etc. I give up.)

http://www.daz3d.com/witch-gear

edited December 1969

Darn it, I missed that one! I just bought a bunch of Feralfey's sword/rapier/blade poses - I find those so fiddly to do, that at a net 55% off I didn't think twice, well maybe twice but not three times! But my eye wasn't grabbed by the little promo-pic for the Witch Gear though, so I didn't realise how much was in there. :down:
    I also bought Merlin's Armoury to go with the Forge, but haven't tried it out properly yet.

edited March 2014

Yeah, I had missed it a couple times then I got curious due to the price. I thought, "What's in this?" It's kinda a gem because the poses aren't standard and you can use them for things other than the broom ride. Good starting points to adjust from. :)

Here's a hair that's also been on my wishlist which I haven't seen used (or didn't ring a bell with me) It's for Generation 4. Love the sleek lines. (Edit: and if you have outfits with collars or protruding front pieces, it's nice to have a hair that is in BACK to start with. No fiddlin' to get it back there.)

http://www.daz3d.com/filosofy-hair
    It's $12.95 to $7.77 down to $5.83

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

This is interesting- there are two good swim poses in this one! (One is obvious.) And a third could be used for sitting on an underseas ledge holding a seashell.

http://www.daz3d.com/heroine-fantasy-poses-weapons-for-genesis-2-female

edited December 1969

If you're splurging on the MM stores right now, remember the gift certificate $200 one is $30 off.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

I am somewhat confused by the sales... Will they still be going on tomorrow? Some of the items I want today are daz originals... The price is good... But I could use my coupon tomorrow so I'm trying to decide if the prices will remain throughout today.

edited March 2014

I know what you mean- I went ahead and bit the bullet on some of the DO's because they were 58% off plus the discounts for MM (another 10%) and I don't know how this is working. Perhaps post it on the MM Madness thread in Commons and see if they will answer you. Did you see at the bottom of the MM page, it says in blue "EXTENDED A WEEK" What does that mean? Who knows.

EDIT: It's at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.daz3d.com/march-madness

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Yeah... no idea what extended a week means ... Does it mean prices will remain or new releases which qualify for punches will be released every day for another week? I know the new figure... Gianni will likely be released next month. but how many more short dresses with holes do they still have to be released? =)

edited December 1969

I was looking at those and thinking "Hmmm...one of those supersuits under there might work..."
    I did get that top I mentioned a few days ago- well it isn't a top, it's a dress! It just has so much cute detail on the side and the neckline is very pretty- unusual. Take a peek again at this one for a TOP.

It's 58% off right now but with other MM's I got it for $4.72.

http://www.daz3d.com/starlight-dress-for-genesis

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

very nice Melanie....I love Merlins things...

I could not pass this up great price ....The X- skirt for G2 by Cute3d http://www.daz3d.com/march-madness/x-skirt-for-genesis-2-female-s
    a lot of nice texture options....and a bunch of fixes and fits also...been gone awhile working on my lighting so hopefully I am a little better now....This is a bit longer than the other dresses that have come out lately also...I really like it ...Trish

The dress looks nice. I forgot all about that dress. I should buy it now while it is still on sale. The dress comes with many color options.

edited December 1969

Well folks, be careful and double check if you "add to cart" from the first page. You might get a better price from the product page.
    And be sure the prices are right. I'm testing for glitches, I also got this to kit bash and because I am at the top tier, I got $4 on my punches so this costs me .90 when considering that (it was 4.90)

The UltraViolet Textures for Black Light goes in at $7.77 instead of the $5.44 it's supposed to (from the first page) and if you do it from the product page (if you have discounts like the extra 10%) it will go in at $4.90

And reminder: if you're Platinum Club, use your monthly code before the end of the month!

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    I was looking at those and thinking "Hmmm...one of those supersuits under there might work..."
    I did get that top I mentioned a few days ago- well it isn't a top, it's a dress! It just has so much cute detail on the side and the neckline is very pretty- unusual. Take a peek again at this one for a TOP.

It's 58% off right now but with other MM's I got it for $4.72.

http://www.daz3d.com/starlight-dress-for-genesis

It has a different texture. I'd have to try to re-texture that. looks like Naugahyde. But love that fringe, and the chain is cute. I got that one dress a while back because of the cool arm bracelets. I am not immune to buying short dresses for women, but I admit to only having a few.

This discussion has been closed.