Daz Install Manager (DIM) 1.4.0.94, Now Available! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• evacyn said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    RAMWolff said:

Oh, OK.  BUT will DAZ Central give me more options than DIM or are they about the same?  I read that both can't be used at the same time so a little hesitant to install the beta right now.  

DazCentral will always have a more focused and limited feature set than DIM.

They can both be used at the same time if your paths in DIM are simple (DazCentral only works with simple paths). If you change your paths in DazCentral it will overwrite all of the paths in DIM and will not likely set them to things that will keep your existing setup and configuration going.

Can you speak to the decision to make the one-click 'Download & Install' functionality for only items in an order only for Daz Central users? Both the my Orders page and the page that appears after making a purchase both have 'Download & Install' buttons that used to work with DIM (to install all products at once) but are now only for Daz Central.

I can't give the official answer, but I would think that having a choice of things to click (DIM and Daz Central) would immedaitely introduce a new layer of complexity and confusion for new users.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,725

Is DAZ Central using the same type of Manifest files for installed content as DIM? If, are they shared if you use both (if that's possible)?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Taoz said:

Is DAZ Central using the same type of Manifest files for installed content as DIM? If, are they shared if you use both (if that's possible)?

Since DazCentral is using the DIM engine I would assume so, but I haven't checked whether an item installed with DazCentral shows as installed in DIM.

Taoz said:

Since DazCentral is using the DIM engine I would assume so, but I haven't checked whether an item installed with DazCentral shows as installed in DIM.

OK, so you have both installed on the same system?

Taoz said:
    Taoz said:

OK, so you have both installed on the same system?

No, I don't have DazCentral installed anymore.

• WolfwoodWolfwood Posts: 675
    Taoz said:

In theory yes. I have both and installed and they share what is and isn't installed. At least during beta, now centrals wants me to update to use and i'm not inclined to test my luck again. While i had no issues (i don't use default paths, btw), lots of people shared horror stories with this. I prefer DIM in every aspect except visuals. But visuals can be deceiving. Also search is good in central, but i need that level of good inside DAZ, no in an outside app.

Wolfwood said:
    Taoz said:

In theory yes. I have both and installed and they share what is and isn't installed. At least during beta, now centrals wants me to update to use and i'm not inclined to test my luck again. While i had no issues (i don't use default paths, btw), lots of people shared horror stories with this. I prefer DIM in every aspect except visuals. But visuals can be deceiving. Also search is good in central, but i need that level of good inside DAZ, no in an outside app.

OK, thanks.  Yes, though I haven't tried DAZ Central I probably never will, DIM works great for me, and I write my own tools for whatever else I feel I need. 

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    Taoz said:
    Wolfwood said:
    Taoz said:

OK, thanks.  Yes, though I haven't tried DAZ Central I probably never will, DIM works great for me, and I write my own tools for whatever else I feel I need. 

Hear, hear!  Why replace what isn't broke?  And why upgrade if the main inconvenience(s), like using an external app, aren't what's corrected?

edited June 2020

Strange, when I started DIM today it said there was an update, and went through the usual update process, but it's still the same version - 1.4.0.35 / 64 - after the update? 

Post edited by Taoz on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,899
    Taoz said:

Strange, when I started DIM today it said there was an update, and went through the usual update process, but it's still the same version - 1.4.0.35 / 64 - after the update? 

Yes, no update.

• I updated to the latest version just now, and it won't start. I get this:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

How do I get it to work? I didn't click "Run as Admin" because I know that doesn't work (it won't run with elevated priveliges).

Well DIM updated again now - this time it worked, it's now version 1.4.0.46.  Downloading and installing some products, so far no problems.

• brvsnbrvsn Posts: 213

I just noticed that after the order we have again the option to download directly with Dim, this morning was daz central only.. thank you!

• echoescechoesc Posts: 18

I'm trying to stay calm about all of this, but it looks like there have been new paths created.

My Daz Application has been on my C drive under Program Files, My default content library has been D:/DAZ/My Library for a long time. 

Now it looks like Install manager wants me to use new created folders starting with and under Applications for both the application and content. - D:/DAZ/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library and D:\DAZ\Applications\Data\DAZ 3D\Content Database.

Is this required, or can i continue to use the old paths? Install directory currently show only 24 installed and over 2,000 ready to install - which i have to tell you is genuinely obnoxious. I have absolutely zero interest in using Daz Central, since my experience with it was quite horrible. 

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,899
    echoesc said:

I'm trying to stay calm about all of this, but it looks like there have been new paths created.

My Daz Application has been on my C drive under Program Files, My default content library has been D:/DAZ/My Library for a long time. 

Now it looks like Install manager wants me to use new created folders starting with and under Applications for both the application and content. - D:/DAZ/Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library and D:\DAZ\Applications\Data\DAZ 3D\Content Database.

Is this required, or can i continue to use the old paths? Install directory currently show only 24 installed and over 2,000 ready to install - which i have to tell you is genuinely obnoxious. I have absolutely zero interest in using Daz Central, since my experience with it was quite horrible. 

You can use the old paths, but why do you think it wants to use the Applications folder for both application and content?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Does somebody else have the problem that that pesky "Default Install Sets" shows up every time I am starting DIM, or even when deleting packages?

(faulty downloads with unextractable zips ... thanks ... not)

YES, I unticked the "Show automatically" thing.

I didn't have that problem with the last version of DIM.

edited June 2020
    Kerya said:

Does somebody else have the problem that that pesky "Default Install Sets" shows up every time I am starting DIM, or even when deleting packages?

No problem here - I had problems with getting rid of it in the previous version but if finally went away, and I don't see it either after the upgrade to 1.4.0.46.  I think I downloaded the things it recommended anyway, for other reasons, which may be what made it disappear.  If you haven't done that, that could be the reason you are seeing it again.  

Post edited by Taoz on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Taoz said:
    Kerya said:

No problem here - I had problems with getting rid of it in the previous version but if finally went away, and I don't see it either after the upgrade to 1.4.0.64.  I think I downloaded the things it recommended anyway, for other reasons, which may be what made it disappear.  If you haven't done that, that could be the reason you are seeing it again.  

It's DS 4.12 and some of the Starter Essentials ... yes, I am still on DS 4.11 ...

OK, I will just hope it goes away by itself. Pffffz!

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

I just manually downloaded this onto my second computer and I am glad I did - it is changing all the paths I have set and I am having to manually go in and set them back to the correct one. I'm still fighting the the Manifest Archive path, and DIM is currently saying that I have nothing installed on this computer, which is wrong. At least I know now to go in and take screenshots of all my paths on my main computer before upgrading.

This is NOT how you update a bit of software and not respect the settings already there. This hasn't happened with any update before, I avoided Daz Central after hearing the horror stories I heard about that, and now DIM is changing settings. Not good enough.

[Update - sorted Manifest Archive and now it sees what I have installed - but I shouldn't have to do this!]

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited June 2020

A new  DIM with shiny promises? My curiosity says this is a good day to end it resetting the database and reloading all the metadata again to recover my content...

...After the install...

Working perfect, no issues.

Beauty stuff in this version beside the word "BLENDER"

FILTERS.png
    502 x 661 - 52K
    Post edited by [email protected] on
    edited June 2020

I've just updated DIM on three different PCs - one Win 8 and two different versions of Win 10.  Everything went flawlessly.  All paths except to the CMS are non-default (modified by me to point to other drives) and it hasn't changed any of them. 

Post edited by Taoz on
  • echoescechoesc Posts: 18
    echoesc said:

You can use the old paths, but why do you think it wants to use the Applications folder for both application and content?

These were the defaults when i looked into advance settings - and the Application folder is not one that i ever created

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

I updated it on my main computer via DIM itself - which I never do as several versions wouldn't work that way, I just got into the habit of downloading the installer each upgrade. Worked fine within DIM, same set up Program C:, Content D: manifest in same place. So it may only be if you use the stand-a-lone installer that it is changing paths - never been a problems before.

• 3Ddreamer said:

I updated it on my main computer via DIM itself - which I never do as several versions wouldn't work that way, I just got into the habit of downloading the installer each upgrade. Worked fine within DIM, same set up Program C:, Content D: manifest in same place. So it may only be if you use the stand-a-lone installer that it is changing paths - never been a problems before.

I download the .exe and I didn't get changes.

• hookflashhookflash Posts: 165

Anyone else having issues with content installed via DIM 1.4.0.46 not showing as installed in Smart Content in Daz? I'm having to reimport metadata in Daz every time I install via DIM now, which is pretty annoying. 

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    edited June 2020

Got an error when trying to update DIM, and then when I went to get a fresh installer, I get this error.

Annotation 2020-06-28 140642.jpg
    485 x 113 - 13K
    Post edited by Sevrin on
    Sevrin said:

Got an error when trying to update DIM, and then when I went to get a fresh installer, I get this error.

Go to the file in Program Files and check the permissions.  A couple of times in the past I've had a DIM or DS install fail because the Owner information on the file got corrupted and it couldn't be deleted.  After a reboot it worked correctly.

• hookflash said:

Anyone else having issues with content installed via DIM 1.4.0.46 not showing as installed in Smart Content in Daz? I'm having to reimport metadata in Daz every time I install via DIM now, which is pretty annoying. 

Repeatedly or from one session? It's possible, if you closed DS and then opened DIM, that PostgreSQL was not available when DIM was running and so did not get updated.

• hookflashhookflash Posts: 165
    hookflash said:

Repeatedly or from one session? It's possible, if you closed DS and then opened DIM, that PostgreSQL was not available when DIM was running and so did not get updated.

It's happened with my last 2 purchases, with a reboot in between. The connection between Daz and DIM seems to have gotten broken somehow (but not entirely broken, since I'm still able to reimport metadata to fix things).