Daz Studio 4.12 Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• With latest upgrade to Win 10 build 2004, Octane Plugin doesnt work at all with 4.12.1.117.

Moving back to 4.10 where my plugins were working.

• luttikrobluttikrob Posts: 12

hey all,

So im trying to save an animation with some morphs, one is called " open wide" what ever i do, it wont save the keys on the timeline when i use this morph.

Is there som workarround for this? It really disrupts my work now and i cant figure out where it goes wrong.
    Allready searched the forums and it seems to be a problem in general, but maybe there is a workaround?

• AlexseyAlexsey Posts: 2
    edited May 2020
    luttikrob said:

hey all,

So im trying to save an animation with some morphs, one is called " open wide" what ever i do, it wont save the keys on the timeline when i use this morph.

Is there som workarround for this? It really disrupts my work now and i cant figure out where it goes wrong.
    Allready searched the forums and it seems to be a problem in general, but maybe there is a workaround?

Keyframes for morphs are not being saved on 4.12.1.117. I have wasted 5 hours trying to figure out what might be wrong. Going back to previous version solved this issue for me.

I'm not even going to bother wasting my time contacting support because they still have not fixed a bug I have reported more than 3 years ago.

Post edited by Alexsey on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    luttikrob said:

hey all,

I happen to have this morph. If you could please tell me what you are trying to achieve, I can try it on my system. If you could supply the scene, that would help.

• edited June 2020

I was starting the DAZ Installer when it promted the Update. I choose to update and went to bed. Big Mistake. It messed up all my file locations, can't find anything anymore, even after giving it the correct path it does not recocnize my files. Now it wants to re install 4600 files. Great. I am really happy...........

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited June 2020

I was starting the DAZ Installer when it promted the Update. I choose to update and went to bed. Big Mistake. It messed up all my file locations, can't find anything anymore, even after giving it the correct path it does not recocnize my files. Now it wants to re install 4600 files. Great. I am really happy...........

What DAZ installer?

Post edited by Chohole on
  • where can now I find the older version.

where can now I find the older version.

You have to contact Customer Services

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• ooofestooofest Posts: 36
    edited June 2020
    RayDAnt said:
    ooofest said:

Can you test uninstalling the Octane plugin to see if the problem is still there?

Yes, I've tried this various ways but uninstalling the Octane plugin for that particular Daz install (of 4.12.1.17 or later) relieves it from hanging on its shutdown. There may still be a long wait for it to clear the process, but it at least does clear eventually. That does not occur when the Octane plugin is installed for it.

If the Octane plugin is installed for a different Daz instance and not another on the same system (e.g., having a general release and a public build), then only the one with the plugin installed will stall on its shutdown.

Octane can be running as a plugin in Poser, Blender, standalone, etc. and has no effect on running Daz instances or their ability to shut down.

This symptom only started since Daz 4.12.1.17.

This is actually easy to test, because Octane for Daz is free for personal use: https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/demo/

Set up a sandboxed install of DS 4.12.0.086 and DS 4.12.1.117 - each with Octane loaded - and found the same behavior as you: Closing 4.12.0.086 + Octane results in the Daz Studio process closing and memory resources being released almost immediately. Closing 4.12.1.117 + Octane results in the Daz Studio process migrating to background processes and memory resources continuing to be used seemingly indefinitely (which then leads to new instances of DS on the default General release channel being blocked from launching.)

As to who/what is at fault...

This is the final dozen lines of the changelog from 4.12.0.086 + Octane after loading/rendering a scene in the Octane viewport and then closing Daz Studio:

2020-05-19 17:52:54.501 Loaded image g8fbasefacemapb_1001.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:54.576 Loaded image g8fbasemouthmapb_1005.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:54.814 Loaded image g8fbaselegsmaps_1003.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:55.010 Loaded image g8fbaselegsmapb_1003.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:55.205 Loaded image g8fbasearmsmapb_1004.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:55.450 Loaded image g8fbasearmsmaps_1004.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:55.505 Loaded image g8fbaseeyesb_1007.jpg2020-05-19 17:53:40.599 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.1   IRT    rend info : Shutting down irt render plugin.2020-05-19 17:53:42.117 *** Scene Cleared ***2020-05-19 17:53:42.314 DEBUG: End DAZ Studio to Hexagon Bridge log...2020-05-19 17:53:42.544 --------------- DAZ Studio 4.12.0.86 exited ------------------2020-05-19 17:53:42.544 ~

And this is the final dozen lines of the changelog from 4.12.1.117 + Octane after loading/rendering a scene in the Octane viewport and then closing Daz Studio:

2020-05-19 17:59:08.596 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Height.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.738 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Normal.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.765 Loaded image Top_Straps_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.802 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.832 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Roughness.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.979 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Normal.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.009 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Height.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.231 Loaded image g8fbasetorsomaps_1002.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.400 Loaded image g8fbasetorsomapb_1002.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.655 Loaded image g8fbasefacemaps_1001.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.860 Loaded image g8fbasefacemapb_1001.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.925 Loaded image g8fbasemouthmapb_1005.jpg

And, finally, this is the final dozen lines of the changelog from 4.12.1.117 + Octane after loading/rendering a scene in the Octane viewport, loading a new blank scene in the DS interface, and then closing Daz Studio:

2020-05-19 18:22:24.407 Loaded image g8fbaseeyesb_1007.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.454 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.590 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Normal.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.616 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Height.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.662 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Roughness.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.683 Loaded image Top_Straps_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.715 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.744 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Roughness.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.769 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Height.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.894 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Normal.jpg2020-05-19 18:23:39.450 *** Scene Cleared ***2020-05-19 18:23:48.386 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.1   IRT    rend info : Shutting down irt render plugin.

Either Daz Studio or the Octane plugin clearly isn't getting some sort of expected response from the other needed to complete the shutdown process. And given that the Iray plugin clearly is getting whatever communique it needs in at least one of these final two test cases, I'm inclined to believe that this is a fault with the Octane plugin and not Daz Studio itself.

Thank you, this is very interesting - I posted it to the Octane plug-in Developer's attention and hope to see more information from them.  If what you intuit might be happening is true, it could mean that the Octane Plugin was interacting with Daz Studio on shutdown of the process incorrectly the entire time - so, that would seem unusual, but perhaps there is a subtlety in the protocol that hid this issue until most recent Daz Studio versions made some sort of stringent check or change.

Post edited by ooofest on
  • AlarconteAlarconte Posts: 31

It's been a week now since I've asked and old file to customer support. This will be just easier to everybody and not clutch the customer support if they'll just have a repository of old files as most software.

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188

Something has changed with the way parenting and un-parenting to/from groups work on my system since installing the newest version of DS (4.12.1.117 on Windows 10).  For example, if I parent to an empty group which has zero TRS values, the absolute 3D location of the item I just parented will change.  In some cases, I can set a puppeteer dot before parenting/unparenting and then click it after parenting/unparenting.  In other cases, I would be left with trying to re-pose the nodes' TRS values after parenting/unparenting. Not good.  

If anyone knows what is going on with that I would appeciate a response.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    artistb3 said:

Something has changed with the way parenting and un-parenting to/from groups work on my system since installing the newest version of DS (4.12.1.117 on Windows 10).

Sounds like something weird is going on with the Parent In Place setting (in the right-click Options menu of the Scene pane).

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188

SpottedKitty,

Thank you very much. That was it.  I must have set that years ago and forgot about it.  Since I never change it (that I know of), it could have been done by the install (yes, I can blame it on DAZ).

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    artistb3 said:
    Thank you very much. That was it.  I must have set that years ago and forgot about it.  Since I never change it (that I know of), it could have been done by the install (yes, I can blame it on DAZ).

Glad to help. Don't worry about it too much, even us experienced users get bitten by stuff like this now and then — been there, done that, the t-shirt render failed.

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited June 2020

So is there a  general concensus on the latest Daz Studio Update? I'm getting really leary of installing them. 

Nevermind, the previous page comments convinced me to avoid this one. 

Post edited by Madbat on
  • evacynevacyn Posts: 950
    Madbat said:

So is there a  general concensus on the latest Daz Studio Update? I'm getting really leary of installing them. 

Nevermind, the previous page comments convinced me to avoid this one. 

I'm not much of a fan and in the future I'll take your approach of waiting until the dust settles. I've pretty much stopped using it and I'm playing around with Blender until the next release.

• Is there a rough time period we can expect a new release or do you think there will be a hot fix for some of these big issues? It’s just strange that we have known about these problems for well over a month and there hasn’t been any real response from Daz insofar as where they stand with the fixes. I know Daz Srudio is free but we still invest a lot of money in the content that makes it worth using and I wish at the least, that we would get some response as to where they are in the process of fixing these major issues. For many of us, it has slowed our work down significantly if not brought it to a complete stop.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

Is there a rough time period we can expect a new release or do you think there will be a hot fix for some of these big issues? It’s just strange that we have known about these problems for well over a month and there hasn’t been any real response from Daz insofar as where they stand with the fixes. I know Daz Srudio is free but we still invest a lot of money in the content that makes it worth using and I wish at the least, that we would get some response as to where they are in the process of fixing these major issues. For many of us, it has slowed our work down significantly if not brought it to a complete stop.

Some user interface issues are fixed in the 4.12.2.6 Public Beta. The only word on fixes that you will hear from Daz is probably the Change  Log. There is never any word on when a new release will happen. I use the 4.12.2.6 Public Beta exclusively for now. 

• barbult said:

Is there a rough time period we can expect a new release or do you think there will be a hot fix for some of these big issues? It’s just strange that we have known about these problems for well over a month and there hasn’t been any real response from Daz insofar as where they stand with the fixes. I know Daz Srudio is free but we still invest a lot of money in the content that makes it worth using and I wish at the least, that we would get some response as to where they are in the process of fixing these major issues. For many of us, it has slowed our work down significantly if not brought it to a complete stop.

Some user interface issues are fixed in the 4.12.2.6 Public Beta. The only word on fixes that you will hear from Daz is probably the Change  Log. There is never any word on when a new release will happen. I use the 4.12.2.6 Public Beta exclusively for now. 

Thanks! The inability to save morphs in animation persists through 4.12.2.6 public beta but I think this is known. This version does seem to be able to handle larger scenes without any lag where 4.12.1.117 can’t. I just think Daz should be a little more vocal is all.

• I've been away from Daz for a while now. Has this latest release fixed the problems the software was having a few months ago with rendering? My GTX 1080ti was slow as heck all of a sudden.

Thank you

I've been away from Daz for a while now. Has this latest release fixed the problems the software was having a few months ago with rendering? My GTX 1080ti was slow as heck all of a sudden.

Thank you

Slow in what way? I have the same card as you, render times are good for me.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

I've been away from Daz for a while now. Has this latest release fixed the problems the software was having a few months ago with rendering? My GTX 1080ti was slow as heck all of a sudden.

Thank you

Probably the fallback to CPU ...

• I've been away from Daz for a while now. Has this latest release fixed the problems the software was having a few months ago with rendering? My GTX 1080ti was slow as heck all of a sudden.

Thank you

Yes as Kerya pointed out. The fallback. Is that still happening?

Thank you

It depends on what is in the scene, your render settings, etc. Some improvements have been made, e.g. option to allow CPU has been added, CPU Load Limits.

Thank you

It depends on what is in the scene, your render settings, etc. Some improvements have been made, e.g. option to allow CPU has been added, CPU Load Limits.

My scenes are always pretty basic. Do I have to change any of the standard settings to prevent the fallback to CPU from happening?

Thanks for your responses by the way!

Thank you

My scenes are always pretty basic. Do I have to change any of the standard settings to prevent the fallback to CPU from happening?

The settings I mentioned are on the Render Settings - Advanced pane, and showing my settings. I don't get fallback with those settings.

NVIDIA RenderSettings.jpg
    478 x 1082 - 75K

Thank you

The settings I mentioned are on the Render Settings - Advanced pane, and showing my settings. I don't get fallback with those settings.

Hmm. I tried this and it doesn't seem to work for me. WHen I used to render a scene you would hear the card fans buzzing like crazy as it rendered really fast. Now it's just quietly chugging along very slow.

Thank you

Hmm. I tried this and it doesn't seem to work for me. WHen I used to render a scene you would hear the card fans buzzing like crazy as it rendered really fast. Now it's just quietly chugging along very slow.

There is an easy way to see what is happening. Start a render, and bring up the Task Manager when the actual render has started. In Task Manager, click on the Performance tab and scroll down to where the NVIDIA car is listed (see the attached screenshot). The graph should show usage. If you scroll back up to the top where the CPU is listed, it should show a low graph.

I prefer to use GPU-Z from Techpowerup myself. Download and run the exe, you can choose to run it as a portable. Click on the Sensors tab, and look for the GPU Load entry (see attached screenshot). The usage graph is virtually maxed out.

TaskManager.jpg
    666 x 593 - 138K
    GPU-Z.gif
    419 x 762 - 24K

Thank you

There is an easy way to see what is happening. Start a render, and bring up the Task Manager when the actual render has started. In Task Manager, click on the Performance tab and scroll down to where the NVIDIA car is listed (see the attached screenshot). The graph should show usage. If you scroll back up to the top where the CPU is listed, it should show a low graph.

I prefer to use GPU-Z from Techpowerup myself. Download and run the exe, you can choose to run it as a portable. Click on the Sensors tab, and look for the GPU Load entry (see attached screenshot). The usage graph is virtually maxed out.

Thank you for this.

I tried doing this and it turns out the card isn't being used at all during a render. Just the CPU. IS there something in the cards settings I might need to adjust?

edited June 2020

Thank you

Thank you for this.

I tried doing this and it turns out the card isn't being used at all during a render. Just the CPU. IS there something in the cards settings I might need to adjust?

Could I have a screenshot of your Render Settings - Advanced pane please. Are your drivers up to date?

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on