If Starting From Scratch- DIM and Studio, How To Customize Categories

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
edited March 2014 in New Users

Starting from scratch- for various reasons. And the more I read, the more confused I got.

When installing the studio, I'm a bit confused as to what part of the Studio installation becomes the MyLibrary part, and what is the Program Files and the (x86) I think I read where the x86 is the 32 bit OS? I want to install whatever I can (the Studio and DIM) on to my D drive and sync them.

For Studio:
1. Does it have to be in C/Program Files, or can I make a folder D/DAZ/DS4.6 and install it there?

2. When the installation begins, the first line is the Content Management Service- would I put D/DAZ/DS4.6 for that?

3. The second line is the content line and would I have to make a separate folder like D/DAZ/Content, use D/DAZ/DS4.6, or does it have to be a subfolder under the D/DS4.6?

(Further down the line, yes, I do know about the Edit>Preferences> and putting the path to where the content is installed. But I need to know how to set up the content in D first.)

For the DIM:
To set up the DIM:
4. Can it also be put in D? If I had D/DIM? It is a separate entity from the studio.

5. For the Downloads- D/DimDown. If I'm correct, this is just where the DIM "holds" the files until they are installed. It's a stand alone folder and doesn't have to link to anything.

6. Installation- going on memory here- what would I put if we can do the D stuff above? I remember for Installation it was Program Files and the x86 if I were using C. But I want to switch to D.

7. Application- if I recall, that is for shaders, plug-ins- would that be any different than installation? I do remember reading NOT to put it in Program Files if you have Windows 7 due to protected status. What would I put, depending on what can be done to move things to D and using what I've provided?

So basically, want the studio and DIM on D. Help, the more I read the more I messed up my notes. Please reference the question number when you answer, and no tech talk- please keep it simple as I'm confused.

Post edited by Novica on

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

I am reading this but still need a bit of clarification. That has to do with COPYING the MyLibrary from C, I don't want anything on C to even start with!
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29925/

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Personally, I would start with the exe installer for Studio. Direct it to install to D drive. It should install almost everything there, including the CMS. It may still want to put stuff in appdata on C, but that should be a minimal amount (and MS doesn't want appdata moved off of C...but most other parts of the user profile can be moved...like Documents).

Then, download and install the DIM...and before downloading any content with it, set it up to use a directory on D.

edited December 1969

First, thanks for your help. :)

I'm looking at this:
    https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/21391331-How-to-Download-and-Install-DAZ-Studio-4-Windows-
    which shows the step by step of what is shown during the studio installation.

So when you say the exe installer for Studio....is that the Destination Directory? Not sure what "exe installer" is.

And "Direct it to install to D drive." do you mean JUST "D"?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

To install DAZ Studio to a None default location (D drive) it is best to use the Stand alone installer (exe) and not DIM. That forces the proper system files to be created for the Operating system were as DIM may or may not do the job fully. They say it does but I prefer exe for program installs.

edited December 1969

Oh yes, I do it manually, never have used the DIM to install the studio. I had read that :)
    So to clarify (and thanks for your help too Jaderail)
    1. I would just select "D" or would D/DAZ/DS4.6 be okay?
    2. Is that the Destination Directory?
    3. For Content Directory, still need to know would I have to make a separate folder like D/DAZ/Content, or does it have to be a subfolder under another file? (Is the studio going to show up as a MyLibrary thingie under D if I just put the Destination Directory to "D"?

edited March 2014

You can pretty much put any thing on D as the content folder. If you will use DIM to install content the Folders you set in DIM are all that matter. The Content folder from the exe is just to set the DAZ Studio Paths on install. WE all know that can be changed but it needs a path at install. I even just delete that folder after I have my DIM folders ready to point to.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

I have it like this:
    D:/DAZ/DS4.6 for the Destination
    D:/DAZ/Content for Content Directory

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    I have it like this:
    D:/DAZ/DS4.6 for the Destination
    D:/DAZ/Content for Content Directory

I would put the CMS in a different location than DS itself.

edited December 1969

I personally never move the Programs off my OS drive. I do move all the Data folders, and content folders. To me this is the safest way to do things. The Programs run properly and are built to read the data and content from other locations. Best of both worlds in my view.

edited March 2014

I tested it the way I had it (and you hadn't posted and I'll have to read those posts) and this is what doing it that way looks like. (I'm studying the folder structure) so far as D goes.

So what exactly should I do with this- suggestions?

BTW, Content has Runtime (Geometries and Support)
    and Scripts.

installstep2.jpg
    634 x 1277 - 70K
    installstep1.jpg
    1500 x 812 - 99K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Yes, that looks fine.

edited December 1969

Looks fine. Just point DIM to the Content folder for installs and your ready to go.

edited December 1969

Yes, that looks fine.

And for others who are wondering:

Regarding the Destination Directory (first line of that installation popup)- even though I had D/DAZ/DS4.6 the Content Management Service still installed to C>Program Files>Daz3d>Content Management Service.

edited March 2014

Novica said:
    Yes, that looks fine.

And for others who are wondering:

Regarding the Destination Directory (first line of that installation popup)- even though I had D/DAZ/DS4.6 the Content Management Service still installed to C>Program Files>Daz3d>Content Management Service. The CMS is a System Process and IMHO should be allowed to stay on the OS drive. The CMS Database is only a text file and very small and if in default location much easier to fix when needed.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Looks fine. Just point DIM to the Content folder for installs and your ready to go.

Let me ask about the Studio first- I should just leave this as is, right? (showing the steps in case anyone else is interested in what I'm encountering.)

installstep3.jpg
    1000 x 743 - 84K
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    The CMS is a System Process and IMHO should be allowed to stay on the OS drive. The CMS Database is only a text file and very small and if in default location much easier to fix when needed.

Yes, leaving it there :) I read somewhere in the docs that it only increased in size slightly for every 5 products added, and the Content Management Service uses about 40k of RAM

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Jaderail said:

Let me ask about the Studio first- I should just leave this as is, right? (showing the steps in case anyone else is interested in what I'm encountering.)Yes Leave as is...

edited December 1969

Regarding the DIM, what exactly do I have to change- both the Installation and the Application, since I am on a different drive?

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Regarding the DIM, what exactly do I have to change- both the Installation and the Application, since I am on a different drive?

DIM should pick up the DS location, but double-check that it did. The content location needs to be set manually.

edited March 2014

Novica said:

DIM should pick up the DS location, but double-check that it did. The content location needs to be set manually.You might also wish to change the DIM Downloads folder. Also do that before you run it the first time (install content) if you plan to move it as well.

edited December 1969

For the DIM downloads, I had already made a folder called DimDown which I also placed in D, to keep it off of C. (creative name, eh?)

Let me make sure we are talking about the same things as synonyms lose me rather fast. For the DIM Installation, that would be this?
    D>DAZ>Content

And for Application (plugins,etc) would that be D>DAZ>DS4.6?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Novica said:

And for Application (plugins,etc) would that be D>DAZ>DS4.6?

That's where the plugin folder should be...so yes.

edited December 1969

And for the DIM Downloads you do that here....

Capture-001.png
    681 x 612 - 99K
    edited December 1969

Hmmm, I think I have a problem. (Well, I know I do.) I was fairly sure I had taken all references off from the previous DIM (including the C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\InstallManager (which isn't on my computer anymore) but I am getting a funky Destination as I am going through the popups to install. Is that AppData still where the default installation is?

edited December 1969

Checking the whacky folder it is going to, it required Administrator and earlier, it wouldn't let me delete it, but I could delete the contents. It STILL won't let me delete it (even as Administrator) but there are no contents. I have done the App Data (see image) for the path. Is that right?

installstep4.jpg
    1500 x 840 - 102K
    edited December 1969

Or do I need to add a subfolder under that which says Install Manager? In other words, will it create one or do I need to have one in that destination path?

edited March 2014

Well, to test it I made one (InstallManager) and that was the correct thing to do. It didn't duplicate it and didn't put another subfolder (InstallManager) under it. So if you've screwed up your installation previously, just put what I had in the image above, but add an InstallManager subfolder and click to that destination. (if its still the default folder, according to this, which is where I got the information about it.)

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/userguide/install_install_manager/tutorials/installation_daz3d_install_manager/start

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

AppData is where the application saves data -- the log, settings, user login.

edited December 1969

BTW, in case you didn't know it, putting ! in front of a folder name will keep it at the top of the listings. This is what I put for the download folder, and the ! keeps it at the top of D.

Questions about the DIM-

Under Installation, for 64 bit and 32 bit, do I leave those alone at C>Program Files and C>Program Files (x86)?

For Path for installation, is that going to be D>DAZ>Content? It gives me a popup that says it contains files not installed by DIM (Has Runtime and Scripts) and suggests I use another folder by DIM or an empty one.

And MJC1016 already answered that for Application (plugins,etc) that would be D>DAZ>DS4.6 and the DIM did it automatically.

edited December 1969

AppData is where the application saves data -- the log, settings, user login.

So was that the right thing to do?