Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!

Comments

• SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521
    edited December 1969

Braids would be very difficult, if not impossible, to model by hand. I will produce an algorithm that is capable of twisting and group hair so that they will make into a braid, but it's all to be developed.

Is this targeted for version 1, or version 2? Braids are one of those things I just CANNOT do in Blender, as hard as I try. Along with just about everything else except tribbles and shag carpets...

An advanced version of this feature that I would be interested in would be twist-and-counter-twist - twist or braid to create three strands, and then twist or braid those strands together to create a single strand with more detailed sub-units.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

During these days I came up with an algorithm that get 2 groups of guides and make those braids. I think I can make it to include braids in version 1.

edited December 1969

Oh exciting!

Two stranded braids, not 3? Interesting.

edited December 1969

Syndaryl said:
    Oh exciting!

Two stranded braids, not 3? Interesting.

Yes actually they should be 3, but I'm not sure I will be able to code that. I made some experiments with two strands and, visually-wise, it's looking good enough, IMO. However, shoud I be able to do with 3, why not. As many features I'm still experimenting...

• DarthDDarthD Posts: 259
    edited December 1969

This is wonderful! I can't wait for the release!

• ChuckdozerChuckdozer Posts: 453
    edited December 1969

I've been anxiously awaiting the release of this since I first heard about it, which was a bit before the Infinito plugin was released. Seems like it's been almost a year since then. I'm a former Carrara user who made the switch back to Daz Studio when version 4 and Genesis were released. I used to use dynamic hair in Carrara very successfully, and I truely hate transmapped hair in DS because it takes forever and a day to render, not to mention that most hair texture creators seem intent on using baked in highlights and have no confidence that good specular highlights can be achieved through good lighting. I am a paid illustrator and my art director insists on hair being rendered with AO and all other shadows on, so the uberHair or uberSurface trick of turning off occlusion and raytracing is not an option for me, and besides, hair that is stark and not casting proper shadows just looks wrong.

I know you've been working hard for a long time on this... and the illustrations I've seen are truely amazing. I read a while back where you were hoping this would be ready for a release this Summer, and I'm wondering where that stands now. Any ideas at all how much longer it will be before this is released?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

As plug-ins go I won't be able to resist not getting it.

Superb, yes looking forward to this one.

edited December 1969

I've been anxiously awaiting the release of this since I first heard about it, which was a bit before the Infinito plugin was released. Seems like it's been almost a year since then. I'm a former Carrara user who made the switch back to Daz Studio when version 4 and Genesis were released. I used to use dynamic hair in Carrara very successfully, and I truely hate transmapped hair in DS because it takes forever and a day to render, not to mention that most hair texture creators seem intent on using baked in highlights and have no confidence that good specular highlights can be achieved through good lighting. I am a paid illustrator and my art director insists on hair being rendered with AO and all other shadows on, so the uberHair or uberSurface trick of turning off occlusion and raytracing is not an option for me, and besides, hair that is stark and not casting proper shadows just looks wrong.

I know you've been working hard for a long time on this... and the illustrations I've seen are truely amazing. I read a while back where you were hoping this would be ready for a release this Summer, and I'm wondering where that stands now. Any ideas at all how much longer it will be before this is released?

Hi, sorry for the delay but I'm not getting any notifications of new posts. I guess I'll have to start checking this thread more often...

As for the release time, well there is still some work to do: beta 1.01 was quite bugged and, as of today, I'm still curing all the bugs and issues found there. Also, I decided to simplify the workflow and redesign data structures, and that took about 3 weeks. It's always difficult to give an estimate with programming and at this point I believe LAMH won't be ready within July, nor August. I want to have it beta-tested carefully before releasing it, and due to the vast number of features and operations that the plugin does, that will take some time.
    I believe beta 1.02 should be a huge step forward in terms of stability and workflow; testers will prove me right or wrong. I expect to provide 1.02 in the next few days.

Also, last week I've finally been able to introduce a fantastic feature (something I've been trying to achieve for months), in my opinion: a 3D painting capability.
    That will allow to actually paint density maps directly on the 3D model, just using the mouse/tablet. And not only that: actually there will be a gazillion of uses for it, since the painted areas are directly bound to the uv's.

So to resume, sorry for not being able to provide an exact release date, it's a huge load of work to do :-)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    As plug-ins go I won't be able to resist not getting it.

Superb, yes looking forward to this one.

Thanks! :-)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

It is plug-ins like this that have my mind reeling with the possibilities (computer power willing). Oh this will be fun to play with.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    edited July 2012

Also, last week I've finally been able to introduce a fantastic feature (something I've been trying to achieve for months), in my opinion: a 3D painting capability.
    That will allow to actually paint density maps directly on the 3D model, just using the mouse/tablet. And not only that: actually there will be a gazillion of uses for it, since the painted areas are directly bound to the uv's.

That will indeed be phenomenal... but while it would be great to get all these features eventually, might you consider getting a version that has all the features that work now out a little quicker and then following it up with the more advanced add-ons on an upgrade basis as they become available? I imagine a lot of use would have no problem with double-dipping, and I've got a couple of really 'hairy' projects that I've been holding off on pending the release of this plug-in...

But as long as you're talking about painting on the UVs, how would that affect applying the hair to a piece of dynamic cloth? Specifically, would the individual strands flex as a group or would each one react specifically to the bit of cloth directly beneath it? Ie: could you theoretically use LMH to construct something like the the 'dynamic hair" sold by Optiex and use the existing Daz dynamic cloth engine to make larger dynamic hair objects?

Post edited by Cybersox on
    edited December 1969

That will indeed be phenomenal... but while it would be great to get all these features eventually, might you consider getting a version that has all the features that work now out a little quicker and then following it up with the more advanced add-ons on an upgrade basis as they become available? I imagine a lot of use would have no problem with double-dipping, and I've got a couple of really 'hairy' projects that I've been holding off on pending the release of this plug-in...

But as long as you're talking about painting on the UVs, how would that affect applying the hair to a piece of dynamic cloth? Specifically, would the individual strands flex as a group or would each one react specifically to the bit of cloth directly beneath it? Ie: could you theoretically use LMH to construct something like the the 'dynamic hair" sold by Optiex and use the existing Daz dynamic cloth engine to make larger dynamic hair objects?

I tend to agree with you about releasing a version that already does what has been shown in the videos so far. However, I'd like to include the possibility to allow 3d painting density maps, otherwise users will have to paint those in an external program using the uv template, which is quite difficult.

About your question, LAMH doesn't have any physics engine or any accounting for gravity, collitions etc. However, if you grow hair or fur on a figure or a prop, and pose or morph it, hair will adjust accordingly, meaning that they will mantain the same orientation.

edited July 2012

About 3D painting, here is a brief movie showing it in action in LAMH:

Nothing special here but see how I can paint the model and erase some of the painting. The painted map is obviously bound to the model uv's, and so very useful.
    3D painting opens a new range of possible features (interactive definition of density maps, cut maps, color maps, control maps of every kind... and more).

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 1969

About your question, LAMH doesn't have any physics engine or any accounting for gravity, collitions etc. However, if you grow hair or fur on a figure or a prop, and pose or morph it, hair will adjust accordingly, meaning that they will mantain the same orientation.

Right... I understand that LAMH doesn't do dynamics, but what I was thinking of was how optitex did in order to make their dynamic hair for Daz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ttSVRniM9Q It seems to be basically multiple strands of their dynamic cloth made to look like strings of hair, so if someone was to make a "wig form" out of the dynamic cloth, would there be a way to attach LAMH in a way that gave a semi-dynamic effect. I wouldn't expect it to work with a long flowing hairstyle unless the strands of LAMH could be made to adhere lengthwise along the cloth (in which case one might be just as well off with a texture map), but with short or really curly/bushy hair... or something like the braid you're describing... the effect could be close enough to make a lot of dynamic options possible.

Of course, that would require optitex to make a few wig forms in the first place, but if the idea worked, I'm sure they could be encouraged to crank out something...

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

It ought to be possible to combine LAMH with dynamic cloth to make a really good fur coat, but I just don't see how attaching nondynamic hairs to a dynamic wig form would give results any better than attaching those same nondynamic hairs directly to the scalp.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Glad I found this thread. Still waiting to see a Wolf furred up with this plugin beta! :-)

• edited December 1969

Oh my goodness!

I have been searching high and low for a way to make hair/fur for my Daz characters and clothing.....attempted learning Blender even!

Can't wait, can't wait....please please pretty please, I wanna buy this for myself as an early Christmas present!

Gonna post a link to this thread and your blog in my Marvelous Designer forum........there is no way it should have taken me months to stumble across this......

Will let everyone I can think of know about this!

Keep up the good work!

edited December 1969

Oh my goodness!

I have been searching high and low for a way to make hair/fur for my Daz characters and clothing.....attempted learning Blender even!

Can't wait, can't wait....please please pretty please, I wanna buy this for myself as an early Christmas present!

Gonna post a link to this thread and your blog in my Marvelous Designer forum........there is no way it should have taken me months to stumble across this......

Will let everyone I can think of know about this!

Keep up the good work!

Thank you for your kind words. I'm in the process of finishing the second beta and provide it to testers. I'll certainly post more information as the testing goes further.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

As long as it's in the store before we've all nibbled our fingernails down to the elbow, we won't complain. ;-) Take the time to do it right. We'll be waiting.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 1969

Success !! Glad to hear you are still working on this.Almost as glad as I am to be able to post again.Waiting for the furryz

• gingercakes47gingercakes47 Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

:-) I really want a jump up and down in excitement smiley but don't see one.

edited August 2012

It ought to be possible to combine LAMH with dynamic cloth to make a really good fur coat, but I just don't see how attaching nondynamic hairs to a dynamic wig form would give results any better than attaching those same nondynamic hairs directly to the scalp.

Actually there's a huge advantage. I really couldn't talk about it before, but if you're at SIGGRAPH right now, there's a presentation on Hair Motion Capture... yes, you read that right, Hair Motion Capture... that uses almost exactly what I described. Basically, think of the bits of "cloth" as long segmented hinges on which sections of hair move and adjust. The mocap gets the basic points and the dynamics are only there to fill in the gaps. Theoretically it should be a lot faster than rendering something out as a zillion strands, and while I don't think the technique is quite good enough yet for realistic animation work, for stills or something rendered with a cel-shader it has a huge potential.

Post edited by Cybersox on
    edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    Success !! Glad to hear you are still working on this

Absolutely. Working on it each and every day.

edited December 1969

Glad to hear :D

I stopped getting notifications (again :P ) but I found the thread, bwhahaha!

• Kesha2009Kesha2009 Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

Not getting the notifications glad I have it bookmarked :~) and even more happier to know it is still being worked on. Waiting,lurking,and drooling.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I'm not getting any notifications either. Waiting and waiting...

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited August 2012

On top of the thread, there's a link "Subscribe to thread". Click on it.

Go to "Your Control Panel" and see that...

Under "E-Mail Settings", you have enabled
    * Enable Smart Notification
    * Accept email from site administrators
    And your e-mail address is correct

Take a peek at "View subscriptions" and see that the thread is there.

FYI: if you get a notification via e-mail, click on the link, and IF YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN when you view that thread, it will continue regarding you as "haven't checked the thread, therefore no new notifications". Because notifications are sent anew ONLY after the system knows that you have checked the new content, so it won't spam you to death. And if you're not logged in, how could it know that you've read it?

Post edited by Skiriki on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Chiming in again to say how please I am that this is comming together.

Thank you Alessandro for all your hard work on this!!! :)

edited December 1969

Well, thanks to you guys for your continued and enthousiastic support. The 2nd beta is finally ready and it's a huge step forward: from now on I expect only minor changes and so the testing process and all the activity that will lead to the release shoud be smoother and faster.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    edited December 1969

Great news :)

This discussion has been closed.