Strand-Based Hair Mini-Tutorial

Comments

• jepegraphicsjepegraphics Posts: 863
    Sevrin said:
    Sevrin said:

The first image reminded me of the Photoshop youtuber Unmesh from the Piximperfect channel.

Not sure who that is! laugh -

Do you have access to Google? 

You indeed mean that guy? His brows are funny, but what a wonderful channel that is! surprise

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217
    lilweep said:

I really like your roderick SBH hair.

I think it's really great that we can also easily tweak and re-style existing hairs, which makes SBH presets very flexible even if just used as a starting point.

It would be cool if more people were onboard with SBH and shared presets.

I was playing around today (attached) - work in progress obviously.  I still find it kind of tedious to style hair because i still can't really predict what it will look like on render and currently im on my laptop which takes a while to render.  Lately I have not experienced as many crashes in the SBH editor as I have experienced previously.

Thank you Lilweep! heart

I too think so, it is of course a bit of work to get a good SBH preset, but saving and sharing is not that difficult. Instead all vendors (including DAZ) seem to convert everything into dForce hair. It's fine and ok, unfortunately I seldom can get that to work nicely on my machine, even to let it show up is sometimes a challenge. 

Your SB hair looks wonderful already, I can imagine that it takes a bit to get a loooong hair like that to look good! laugh

Another tip I wanted to mention: I hope you all use the "ALT GR" key while combing in the style Tab of the SB Hair Editor, to get 3! directions of hair right is often fiddly, holding the ALT GR key while dragging the mouse moves the model in the veiwport and you can quickly get the angle you need to comb in the right direction! cheeky

it definitely doesnt look good but i will get it there if it takes me all day.

Also... my keyboard does not have an 'Alt Gr' key and neither the left nor right Alt key moves the model in the Style tab of the SBH editor.

lilweep said:
    lilweep said:

I think it's really great that we can also easily tweak and re-style existing hairs, which makes SBH presets very flexible even if just used as a starting point.

I was playing around today (attached) - work in progress obviously.  I still find it kind of tedious to style hair because i still can't really predict what it will look like on render and currently im on my laptop which takes a while to render.  Lately I have not experienced as many crashes in the SBH editor as I have experienced previously.

Thank you Lilweep! heart

I too think so, it is of course a bit of work to get a good SBH preset, but saving and sharing is not that difficult. Instead all vendors (including DAZ) seem to convert everything into dForce hair. It's fine and ok, unfortunately I seldom can get that to work nicely on my machine, even to let it show up is sometimes a challenge. 

Your SB hair looks wonderful already, I can imagine that it takes a bit to get a loooong hair like that to look good! laugh

Another tip I wanted to mention: I hope you all use the "ALT GR" key while combing in the style Tab of the SB Hair Editor, to get 3! directions of hair right is often fiddly, holding the ALT GR key while dragging the mouse moves the model in the veiwport and you can quickly get the angle you need to comb in the right direction! cheeky

Also... my keyboard does not have an 'Alt Gr' key and neither the left nor right Alt key moves the model in the Style tab of the SBH editor.

That's really odd, I have a German keybord, but also the English one has the ALT GR key right beside the space bar. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,024
    Crios said:
    Gordig said:
    Crios said:

I donìt know, but someone has tryed to create the grass?

Prova

That's actually what the horribly named product Foreground Blends is.

No, it's a my experiment, made in 2 minutes.

I never said otherwise.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

I can't thank Divamakeup enough for this thread and to encourage people to play and to dare. A lot is possible since Garibaldi was incorporated and I have to admit, I couldn't live without it anymore. Not only I have a complete facial and body hair presets set included in my Roderick for Diego 8 character here in the store, but the longer I use the hair generator, the more I get used to it and can individualize my characters. Some very new samples I have attached, Raw's Satyr is furry now, and no, I have not used Underbelly's native hair (except brows), I made my own or used my Roderick presets, and African hair, yes, find out how to get that pattern/structure into the hair - it's totally worth it! (Samples are from my Patreon gallery, so it's artwork, no straight out of the rendering. But I hope you get the point.)

Awww Thank you, Jepegraphics! :) That's super sweet of you to say. I'm really happy that it was helpful.

lilweep said:
    lilweep said:

Thank you Lilweep! heart

That's really odd, I have a German keybord, but also the English one has the ALT GR key right beside the space bar. 

wish there was some way to view the keybinds for this...

being able to comb and rotate would improve functionality a lot.

edited June 2020

The key combination AltGR and left key mouse drag only activates the Rotate/Orbit tool, which is in the upper right corner of the Editor viewport, this also works in the Studio viewport btw. - if your AltGr key don't work that way you at least can use these viewport tools instead. 

Edited to add: IMO all the viewport tools could need a key, it would make the work more efficient.

Post edited by jepegraphics on

oh, it's ctrl+alt for me.

I really need to customise viewport controls.  Didnt even know you could do that in Daz.

edited June 2020

I set the camera orbit to middle mouse wheel button.  Which i think has been a quality of life improvement for Daz in general.

revisited what i posted earlier. Still need to fix the front, temples, and back of the hair.  i kind of wish we had option to add style curves first, and seed hair around those style curves, rather than seeding the whole head and then have to style all the hairs that are produced.  Hair strands do not necessarily follow the style curves in the vicinity.  E.g., if you have two style curves next to each other at right-angles to each other, the intermediate hairs will sort of traverse a range of angles between them.

test9.png
    634 x 464 - 263K
    Post edited by lilweep on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,363
    edited June 2020

in the store ... strand based hair. so its possible to get out some really nice stuff. Not sure I have enough time to do something like this, ever

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-sea-salt-for-genesis-3--8-females

Post edited by daveso on
  • matteoiomatteoio Posts: 20
    lilweep said:

I find that if I adjust 'scale curves' upwards in the SBH editor, then it really slows down computation and causes the comb tool to become unbearably laggy. I dont really get why that is - I would think density and segment length would be the most offensive computationally, but they dont seem to have much impact for me.  It kind of puts a limit on how long you can make hairs and still comb them.

is this what you were referring to? nice damn the quality, but I agree, with the lagging, am having issues, but the results are phenomenal

thanks Lilweep and 3Diva got something new to work with ,cheers you all

Have fun! :D Hopefully we'll get to see some of your creations. :)

edited August 2020
    3Diva said:

I was on another forum post and was asking for help regarding breaking up of fibermesh coat around armpits

And lilweep asked me to look around for SBH, found your awesome tutorial here. and now I have a much better quality coat with no problems at all...almost

like same stuff but not same problems, oh so relieved, I just gotta work harder to make it into a better looking coat....cheers keep sharing more...

qewr.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 306K
    Post edited by matteoio on
    matteoio said:
    3Diva said:

I was on another forum post and was asking for help regarding breaking up of fibermesh coat around armpits

And lilweep asked me to look around for SBH, found your awesome tutorial here. and now I have a much better quality coat with no problems at all...almost

like same stuff but not same problems, oh so relieved, I just gotta work harder to make it into a better looking coat....cheers keep sharing more...

A nice start! It looks like it just needs a little styling so the hair "flows" down the arms and down the chest a little more - that will help it to lay nicer and help to fill in the gap areas. Adding a tiny bit of Frizz to the root area might help fill in some of those gaps as well. You could probably bump up the hair density if those other two options don't cover the patchy areas. :)

edited August 2020

great tips! so considering this tool can ppl sell something made OUT  of this as products, have you given it a shot

Post edited by matteoio on

I think you should be able to sell products made with SBH.

Currently the only product i own that included SBH presets is the Roderick character for Genesis 8.

I honestly havent been paying attention to what else is in the store at the moment which uses SBH.  Im assuming there are others?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    lilweep said:

I think you should be able to sell products made with SBH.

Currently the only product i own that included SBH presets is the Roderick character for Genesis 8.

I honestly havent been paying attention to what else is in the store at the moment which uses SBH.  Im assuming there are others?

I haven't seen any and I was paying attention for a while. I like SBH better than dForce hair. I won't buy dForce hair on it's own as a hair product but I did buy Roderick for the SBH.

it is a great option, not only coz its available right inside DAZ but it gives customer options to edit and customize..... thanks for sharing, gives me ideas...may work in the favour of the seller....I am going to give it a try....

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited August 2020
    matteoio said:

it is a great option, not only coz its available right inside DAZ but it gives customer options to edit and customize..... thanks for sharing, gives me ideas...may work in the favour of the seller....I am going to give it a try....

I have some SBH made for some old DAZ animals or 3DU animals but I'm not going to release it as freebies until I get the hair colors acceptable for my eye. The colors in the SBH are rendering too dark, there needs to be more light opacity (and maybe refraction) without being too transparent. Or maybe it needs a top coat of glossiness. ...But it's too dark. I need to sit down and study how to setup PBR once and for all but the SBH hair PBR is different than the usual PBR.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

Is the Strand-Based Hair Editor broken in DS 4.12.2.60? Some tools are missing and some don't behave properly?

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    barbult said:

Is the Strand-Based Hair Editor broken in DS 4.12.2.60? Some tools are missing and some don't behave properly?

Oh right - I thought I was doing something wrong. Ah well.

• EManglEMangl Posts: 30

thanks a lot! that was very helpful and understandable explained - now let's grow hair everywhere :-)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

marble said:

Oh right - I thought I was doing something wrong. Ah well.

The tools are fixed again in 4.14. 

• What a fantastic tute. It's so easy to understand.

• Does this work on non Genesis figures?

• Mestophales said:

Does this work on non Genesis figures?

Strand-based hair can be added to anything.

• firstamz78firstamz78 Posts: 5

THIS is really a great overview !

plus I read some lines on ladyfyre-graphics website, about hivewire-horse ...

then, just having a look at the interface, trying it, I managed to make a first piece of Strand based "hair" for one of my customized Daz HORSE 2 figures...

It looks really easy to take hands on !!! While I was thinking that is was just IMPOSSIBLE to me ;) for years !

I tried it for fetlocks part for front right ! THANK You so Much !

Cycledales_Strand_Based_fetlocks_101.png
    453 x 639 - 401K
  • pixelquackpixelquack Posts: 261

Sorry if it was covered, but how do I affect shiny/less shiny=rougher looks, since I can't use hair shaders here?

edited May 2022

pixelquack said:

Sorry if it was covered, but how do I affect shiny/less shiny=rougher looks, since I can't use hair shaders here?

You can adjust the shine by adjusting the Highlight Weight, Highlight Separation, and/or Highlight Roughness. You'll find those settings in the Surface Tab (make sure you have the Strand-Based Hair selected in the scene tab then go to the Surfaces Tab and select the first surface listed. I'd recommend starting with adjusting the Highlight Roughness first.

Post edited by 3Diva on