Beta for DazCentral, your new Content Manager

Comments

• winmathwinmath Posts: 127

I wish I had looked at the forums before I installed Central. I use DIM to install my content into different folders. Central limits the option to one install path. It also messed up my configuration for DIM. It took some trial and error to restore the settings.

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,556
    edited June 2020

Is DazCentral compatible with Unicode (For example "Bodhrán"  in 70141 Sea Shanty Props) ?

DIM and DazConnect can't properly install this product, it's replaced by Bodhrßn and Bodhr▀n. (Bodhr¯n in the Daz Studio log)

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Noah LGP said:

Does DazCentral support Unicode characters (For example "bodhrán"  in 70141 Sea Shanty Props) ?

DIM and DazConnect can't properly install this product.

It isn't a problem with DAZCentral, it's a problem with DAZ|Studio itself. I've installed manually, and the accent character is causing D|S to toss out the texture and data file paths.

edited June 2020
    Noah LGP said:

Does DazCentral support Unicode characters (For example "bodhrán"  in 70141 Sea Shanty Props) ?

DIM and DazConnect can't properly install this product.

It isn't a problem with DAZCentral, it's a problem with DAZ|Studio itself. I've installed manually, and the accent character is causing D|S to toss out the texture and data file paths.

Okay. 5 ways to download it but 0 way to install it properly. Maybe it requires a manual "Replace text" in Notepad++ for all the unzipped duf files.

edited June 2020

Improvements for the future download manager :

• Download
      • No Login failure
    • Copy files
      • Check if the files are corrupted
      • Check if the path length isn't too long for Windows (255 character limit)
    • Install
      • Check if the metadata is missing or corrupted
      • Check if the paths are valid for Daz Studio
    • Report broken product : Send a report to Daz 3D Help Center (manually)

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,712
    edited June 2020
    Noah LGP said:

Is DazCentral compatible with Unicode (For example "Bodhrán"  in 70141 Sea Shanty Props) ?

DIM and DazConnect can't properly install this product, it's replaced by Bodhrßn and Bodhr▀n.

The DUFs are using URL Percentage encoding:

"id" : "/Props/Merlin/Sea%20Shanty%20Props/Iray/Genesis%208%20Female%20Bodhr%C3%A1n%20Beater.duf",

The .NET decoder decodes it correctly so the DUFs seem to be OK:  "id" : "/Props/Merlin/Sea Shanty Props/Iray/Genesis 8 Female Bodhrán Beater.duf",

so I guess they just need to update the code that generates file names - maybe the QT version is too old? 

Post edited by Taoz on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

just posting that I am salty that the download button for DIM is gone after making a purchase 

not saying anything about DAZ central 

NOT INTERESTED 

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,429

I would like to complain about the removal of the DIM link from the order confirmation page. I'm on Mac, and DazCentral isn't even available for my system, yet it's the only link on that page.

just posting that I am salty that the download button for DIM is gone after making a purchase 

If you sort the Ready to Download tab by "Order Date: Recent First" you get all your latest purchases on top of the list. 

• UHFUHF Posts: 512
    Fauvist said:

I'm SO happy it doesn't work on MAC.

LOL.... 

Taoz said:

If you sort the Ready to Download tab by "Order Date: Recent First" you get all your latest purchases on top of the list. 

besides DAZ-DEALS reminding me how much I have spent at DAZ on that page and sending me into a spirialing depression cheeky it only does individual items, I am better off just opening DIM from my desktop shortcut

this just saved me a click

I only have so many clicks to give devil

UHF said:
    Fauvist said:

I'm SO happy it doesn't work on MAC.

LOL.... 

I am happy for you heart

• ironclawxiiironclawxii Posts: 172
    edited June 2020

I noticed on my orders, there is this concerning line: * Requires latest version of DazCentral

Is it only a matter of time before we see products that can't be downloaded any other way? Can someone from Daz please clarify what their intention is with this being included?

Post edited by ironclawxii on
  • I noticed on my orders, there is this concerning line: * Requires latest version of DazCentral

Is it only a matter of time before we see products that can't be downloaded any other way? Can someone from Daz please clarify what their intention is with this being included?

That means the Daz Central links, I expect - it used to say the same for Install Manager when that was the default, even though manual and Connect were options.

• ironclawxiiironclawxii Posts: 172

I noticed on my orders, there is this concerning line: * Requires latest version of DazCentral

That means the Daz Central links, I expect - it used to say the same for Install Manager when that was the default, even though manual and Connect were options.

Ah ok, phew. Thanks, puts my overreacting worrying mind at ease. laugh

Taoz said:

besides DAZ-DEALS reminding me how much I have spent at DAZ on that page and sending me into a spirialing depression cheeky it only does individual items, I am better off just opening DIM from my desktop shortcut

this just saved me a click

I only have so many clicks to give devil

Well I'm talking about DIM, not DAZ-Deals.  I use that setting myself for the same reason, it basically does the same as the DIM link.

edited June 2020

DIM is not being phased out according to what DAZ says, I doubt manual download links will be either.  And I wouldn't be surprised if the DIM link will come back again with all the complaints there have been.  In any case, you'll basically get the same result by sorting the Ready to Download tab in DIM by "Order Date: Recent First" which puts all your latest purchases on top of the list.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Hey.  

Please read this with an inner voice of mild concern.  Do not use inner sarcasm voice, or any derogatory tone, because this isn't a rant.  It's simply feedback, my impression, and a suggestion that would actually make this a favorable thing.  smiley   Onwards...

I was less than impressed with Daz Central.  The email that pointed me to it sounded promising.  I downloaded and installed it.  Okay.  No, not so okay.

One of the features is to have the tutorial videos available on the Dashboard in an easy to see location.  So I picked the first one, and was highly disappointed.  Here's the video it eventually landed me at on YouTube:  

For those who don't wish to click it, it's a 2016 tutorial showing an extremely outdated UI that looks nothing like today's UI.  In the comments that are years old, people were asking for an up to date tutorial please, and of course, now it's 2020 and at the time of this post, hasn't been updated in the least.  That killed all interest I've had in wanting to watch any other tutorials.  

Next disappointment was showing me my current product purchases, and I can open them in Daz Studio 4.12 with one click.  Tried it, it works.  However, I could do the same thing in two clicks.  I can click to open Daz, then click the 'new' tagged product within Daz itself, on the products pane that is already open when Daz loads.  So they saved me one click, and perhaps a few inches on the mouse wheel to scroll through products to find the 'new' tag, if I was tag hunting.  I know what I bought by name, actually, and I find it easily regardless.  Still just two clicks.  Is the cost of an entire program development really worth only one click?  

Now for a suggestion... why not actually put in a feature that isn't available in Daz Studio itself?  Like the ability to go to your saved files and delete a saved file and everything related to it in one click?  As of right now, you can't delete it.  You see, Daz is the only program I know where a save file isn't easy to get rid of.  I can load up a 20 year old program, click delete saved file/saved game/saved document/saved whatever, and it's gone, confirmation dialog or not.  I can load up a relatively new program and do the same thing.  Saved file/saved game/saved document/saved database/saved image/saved whatever, and it's gone.  No lingering thumbnails with error reporting hanging out anywhere.  

Except for Daz Studio.  

I looked it up once, a while back.  I have to delete the DUF, go into library whatever, find the related files, delete them, find another spot... yadda yadda yakity smackety and you know the rest, to delete just one old scene that I no longer use.  Because of this, I am highly reluctant to save any scene, because once it's there, I guess it's there forever, as I really don't have the time to become a coder to hunt down all the bits and pieces that Daz Studio will report as a prolem that's left over through a thumbnail connection that will never vanish otherwise.  

I just want to right click the saved file in the saved files area, and choose a delete option that doesn't exist as of today, and that be that and it's gone, thumbnail, DUF and any other bits of code connected to it gone as well.  Or have that doable on Daz Central.  If so, I'll reinstall the nearly useless thing and be happy for that feature all by itself. 

Thank you for your valuable time.  smiley

Please note:  The email that was sent to me did not include a single word that this program was in beta.  I put the post above in the Product Suggestions forum, thinking it was a finished item development wise.  You may or may not understand how I got slightly jaded over the function issues I noted above.  If they had properly noted the status of the program, I may have been a touch less 'put off' from it.   

I basically object to the wording of that video and some of the wording in it.

The GPU isn't going to do a better job, only do it faster; the render will be equally good, bad or indifferent.

Desouza said:

I really love DAZ Central, especially after struggling for many years with too many separate files after creating renders in DAZ Studio. I am willing to pay for a commercial plugin to DAZ Central that would enable me to have the ability for my renders to show up sorted showing round thumbnails, file name, figure, date, and file size exactly as how "My Assets" and "Plugins" presently function. Such a plugin (to me) would be worth paying up to $35 to have.

That sounds like what a folder where you keep them can do.

When I used Daz Connect, I found that I couldn't download the files on one PC, and then transfer them later onto my main PC, which meant that I couldn't create a backup of all my products. (I'm on a 2mb line so downloading takes forever,) 

Does DazCentral allow you to simply move your entire library around, backup, restore, move it onto an external hard drive if you start running out of space, move it to another PC, when you upgrade etc like you can with files downloaded through DIM? 

I guess this answers my question. it looks like we have to redownload our entire library. It seems like just another form of DRM to be honest. 

Can I copy products installed using Daz Connect from one computer to another?

The preferred workflow is to log in to each computer and install the desired products using Daz Connect

I like to move files around on disk to organize them differently. Can I still do that?

You cannot move files around for products installed through Daz Connect. You can change the drive and/or path to which products are installed using Daz Connect, but you cannot manually re-organize the files within the product.

It's not but I understand your concern. At least, it isn't so far.

edited June 2020

What is the point of DIM-DazCentral links (purchased product download) ?

• Noah LGP said:

What do you mean?

Noah LGP said:

What do you mean?

I mean DIM lists all the purchased products, why there is a download link daz3dim://download/... ?

• Noah LGP said:
    Noah LGP said:

What do you mean?

I mean DIM lists all the purchased products, why there is a download link daz3dim://download/... ?

Where?

edited June 2020

All the products have DazConnect Offline, Manual Download and DIM links

Note : * Requires latest version of Install Manager  ( https://www.daz3d.com/get_install_manager/ )

Screenshot_655.jpg
    851 x 402 - 109K
  • I'm sorry, I'm still not clear what you are asking

edited June 2020

Isn't it useless ? I see no reason to click the "Download & Install" button. DIM doesn't need it to do the job.

Nevermind, I guess this is the answer, just it's decorative.

• It's still, I assume, working for people who don't have DIM open (I've not used those links, except possibly to check if people are reporting issues).

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,142
    Noah LGP said:

Isn't it useless ? I see no reason to click the "Download & Install" button. DIM doesn't need it to do the job.

Nevermind, I guess this is the answer, just it's decorative.

I find DAZCentral not only to be useless, but annoying. Will remove it as soon as DIM downloads are complete.

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,142

I'm trying to do a new clean install of selected components on a Windows machine to test. I have a hard enough time keeping DIM from barfing all over the C: drive, but I decided to try DAZCentral and there is no option. The drop down says controlled by DIM, so I download and install it through the browser (I did not see a way to do that through DAZCentral). Could not successfully install Studio until I removed DAZCentral. Now content is hit or miss. I may try to install it through Studio itself.

DIM was bad enough, but Central is buggy and doesn't seem to need to exist. I just may have to uninstall everything and use RegEdit to get all the other parts gone and start again with only DIM.