Daz Studio Basics 101. New Users help for starting with DS.

Comments

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Deformers would be good, when you feel up to it. I know absolutely nothing about them. Or lights or cameras.

I should have asked this at the beginning of the month: Should I be saving what I do for the pose contest as scene or pose? I've saved everything as scene. That makes sense if I've got clothes, props, etc., but with just a naked figure it seems like overkill.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

AtticAnne said:
    Deformers would be good, when you feel up to it. I know absolutely nothing about them. Or lights or cameras.

I should have asked this at the beginning of the month: Should I be saving what I do for the pose contest as scene or pose? I've saved everything as scene. That makes sense if I've got clothes, props, etc., but with just a naked figure it seems like overkill.

@AtticAnne: With Scene you get back just where you stop, with pose you would need to add the floor again ect... For things you wish to work on Scene is the right way to do it. If you save as Pose only the pose will be saved. So, if it is more than just a figure Scene is correct. If it is just the pose for the figure Pose would be correct. You have done the right thing. You can load your Scene and keep working, the other way you would only have the pose and need to add everything else. Floor Background Image ect...

A scene will save Everything, including your camera position. The other save options only save that one thing. A pose will just put the Pose on your Character, a Material will only put the material back on your figure. Always save what you need. If you wish to come back and work more then you want the Scene, if you only want the Pose then just the pose and ect, ect ect... Only Scene puts you right back to the place you stopped.

As for Lights or Cameras or Deformers I think lights shoud be one of your first things to try to understand. Lights in 3D do not work like real lights and you need to understand the basic steps before you can do more than a standard render with the built in light. It's up to you but I would love to see you finish the pose, then we could clothe and light it.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:

There was a terrific tutorial for deformers created by Carnite for one of the beginners contests. I will try and find the link for it...and post it.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

One thing to remember is that the scene only saves real cameras, not the Perspective view or the Top, Bottom, etc. views.

edited July 2012

@Pendraia: Thank you that will be wonderful.

@fixmypcmike: You have a good point. Only the Default Camera and any Cameras you add will be saved in a Scene. The others all go back the the start position.

edited December 1969

Why can I only see my plane in Perspective view?

edited December 1969

Another question -- what is a core and how do I know how many I have?

edited December 1969

This is what I'm still working on for the posing contest. I'm working on her with the Left view. I think when I started I was working with the Front view, but screwed it up somewhere along the way.

AP640-pirate-pin-up-1956_larger.jpg
    500 x 374 - 27K
    at_piratepinup8b5.jpg
    785 x 785 - 75K
    edited December 1969

Okay, I think I've asked enough questions to keep you busy until I decide to get up in the morning. I'm ready to grab Kinky Friedman and go to bed. Made it to page 11 of Elvis, Jesus & Coca Cola last night.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    Why can I only see my plane in Perspective view?
    @AtticAnne: As I said before your Plane is really colored White. From your screen capture I can see your viewport background is also white, when looking through the Perspective Camera you are at a angle to the plane so DS adds a color so you can work. From your Default Camera it is blending into your Background because it is the same color, and that is close to what you would get if you rendered. All primative items you create will be plain white untill you change them. That is why you can only see it from angles of the other cameras. That and the Light. We will cover lights soon I think.
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    AtticAnne said:

There was a terrific tutorial for deformers created by Carnite for one of the beginners contests. I will try and find the link for it...and post it.

Found it here: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=161430&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

edited July 2012

@AtticAnne: Looking good. Do you still have the FLOOR and your Background picture to work with in your Saved Scene?

As a teacher I will also ask things, so get used to it. :lol:

@Pendraia: Thank you for that. AA take a look and I will help with any questions you have.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    @AtticAnne: Looking good. Do you still have the FLOOR and your Background picture to work with in your Saved Scene?

@Pendraia: Thank you for that. AA take a look and I will help with any questions you have.

No problem...funny how we teachers ask lots of questions.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited July 2012

AtticAnne said:
    Google should help you more if you search. A core is your computer processor. If you are on Windows Vista go to Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Getting Started with Windows There you should find how many CPU and core you have. I have one CPU which is split in to two cores.
    Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Once you get the basic of deforming learnt the best thing to do is just sit there for a few hours and play, Use and Cube and then a Sphere. Once you understand the three nodes in a deformer then there will be no stopping you.....well That was my expereince. I think my first use of deforming was making indents in a finger and thumb as the figure was holding a marble.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

I don't have them in the saved scene, but it will only take a few clicks to add them back.

I've saved it for study and practice.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Pendraia said:
    AtticAnne said:

Found it here: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=161430&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Thanks, Pen.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    AtticAnne said:
    Google should help you more if you search. A core is your computer processor. If you are on Windows Vista go to Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Getting Started with Windows There you should find how many CPU and core you have. I have one CPU which is split in to two cores.

Thanks, Szark. Looks like I only have 1.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Once you get the basic of deforming learnt the best thing to do is just sit there for a few hours and play, Use and Cube and then a Sphere. Once you understand the three nodes in a deformer then there will be no stopping you.....well That was my expereince. I think my first use of deforming was making indents in a finger and thumb as the figure was holding a marble.

I like your recommendation. Get the basics, then sit and play. I really need to work on cleaning out the garage, but it's hot out there and this is much more fun.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    Szark said:
    Once you get the basic of deforming learnt the best thing to do is just sit there for a few hours and play, Use and Cube and then a Sphere. Once you understand the three nodes in a deformer then there will be no stopping you.....well That was my experience. I think my first use of deforming was making indents in a finger and thumb as the figure was holding a marble.

I like your recommendation. Get the basics, then sit and play. I really need to work on cleaning out the garage, but it's hot out there and this is much more fun.ROFLOL I know the feeling.

I do that with every new program. For days I will sit there and open this and that, get familiar with the software, then I go looking for Tutorials. That way I understand what the tutorials refer to better that doing it the other way around.

If it is a new function like deforming then playing with it really does help to understand it better. Same goes with lighting, advanced skin shaders etc. Plus it helps to think outside the box which I can't do that well, well not as good as some do around here. :)

edited December 1969

I'm a little under the weather today folks. I'm around but it will be slow going today.

edited December 1969

It's slow going for me too, Jade. Still trying to understand anything about deformers. The link to Carnite's tutorial was no good, but I did find it (I think) on YouTube. I hate YouTube. I simply cannot follow along.

Has anyone ever looked at a transcript of one of those videos? Sort of like closed captioning, which is also a feature. I've been at this all day and it's time to quit now. I finally interpreted the tutorial to about 1 minute in and the transcript says to create a plane "about 20 meters with the hundreds of haitians you'll see a mentor traditions are and why it's important to have enough of them." So I'm getting some coffee before searching for either more mentors or some Haitians. My next-door-neighbors are from Trinidad...wonder if that's close enough.

Still laughing,

Anne

edited July 2012

I use Real Player to download the tut from You Tube then I can start and stop the video to my hearts content. Plus saving them in a folder structure so I can find things I can refer to them anytime I want.

The Captioning has to be edited manually which I am still in the middle of doing a transcript for the last of the Daz Studio Officail Light tutorails. It has taken me 1 hour for every minute of video so far. Some find it easier and quicker to do but I am finding it hard. :)

Post edited by Szark on
    edited July 2012

I think you will get it once you start playing with one AtticAnne, I clicked pretty fast after I did that. I think the Tut is talking about the mesh but not sure. This might be one of those times adding Divisions to the primative object helps. I'm sure Szark will know if I'm right or not.

I do that also Szark , Realplayer is very handy for adding Vidieo Tut's to your private collections. I tend to just watch them several times untill I'm sure I get the idea before I try to do the tip in DS.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    This might be one of those times adding Divisions to the primative object helps. I'm sure Szark will know if I'm right or not.

I will take a look at Carnite's vid tomorrow as I am off to bed. There is the possinlity I will be up in a few hours again so I might watch it then. :) After I watch it I will see if I can translate. LOL
    edited July 2012

@AtticAnne: I just double checked the link and I have the tutorial Video right on screen. It is the easy one to follow. It shows how to add hills to a Primative Plane. And Divisions do matter in the objects. If you can not see the one in that link let me know and I will hunt the same one for you. It's very well done. Hint, it's the only picture on the screen when you follow the link.

Rest well Szark.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    AtticAnne said:
    Szark said:
    Once you get the basic of deforming learnt the best thing to do is just sit there for a few hours and play, Use and Cube and then a Sphere. Once you understand the three nodes in a deformer then there will be no stopping you.....well That was my experience. I think my first use of deforming was making indents in a finger and thumb as the figure was holding a marble.

I like your recommendation. Get the basics, then sit and play. I really need to work on cleaning out the garage, but it's hot out there and this is much more fun.

ROFLOL I know the feeling.

I do that with every new program. For days I will sit there and open this and that, get familiar with the software, then I go looking for Tutorials. That way I understand what the tutorials refer to better that doing it the other way around.

If it is a new function like deforming then playing with it really does help to understand it better. Same goes with lighting, advanced skin shaders etc. Plus it helps to think outside the box which I can't do that well, well not as good as some do around here. :)
    That's pretty much what I've been doing with Zbrush...it helps if you've got a rough idea how to navigate the user interface.

Anne, sorry if the link didn't work for you. I thought it looked ok as I could see the video embedded.

edited July 2012

"Rest Well Szark" thanks Jaderail. I didn't get to sleep until after 5.30 am. Anyways thanks for looking at that vid. When I got up in the early hours I saw that you had taken a look see. So I read a book instead. :)

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

I did not sleep well either. Up and down all night, at around 4am I just gave up and got up for the day. I'm coffee'd and clear headed, but nobody has came to class today. I'm happy to help but so far only two people have signed up for class and I think one just plays hooky all the time. That's okay too, one on one gives me time to focus on the problem at hand.

Maybe when we get Live post moves to top in the forums the class will pick up. I'm not going to give up on this idea, I think it is a good one. As long as one person needs the Thread this will keep on going and going and going...

I have tenure they cant fire me. :-P

edited December 1969

My philosophy also, if it helps just one person then that is fine with me too. :)