Daz Studio Basics 101. New Users help for starting with DS.

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Nothing like posting an image to show us what you mean Scott. :) Can I suggest making a Render WIP Thread in the Art Studio or Begineers Section. The we can better advise and give pointers. But like all this there are so many ways to skin a cat (sorry cat loavers, no offence).

Szark, my image in question can be found here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/59567/
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    That's the big reason I decided to get an LED monitor. I don't have any of those problems anymore.
    That is so True!! Once they are set to Standard across the board they stay that way.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

Yep, I love mine. 24" Asus LED for a great price.

edited July 2012

You and I must think a like. 25" Led Backlit LCD at 1920 x 1080 full HD resolution. So clear it's creepy.

EDIT: Nope yours is FULL Led, you dog!!

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

I bought it through Amazon while I was having this computer build. Two shiny new toys. LOL

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Hey, Teach. I'm not really playing hooky. My cold's much better now. I've downloaded a couple of items I reset. Through in the yard until the mower decides to cooperate. Finished surfing the forums--for now. Headed for the coffee pot, then I'll light up and get down to work.

Later, gator.

edited December 1969

Anne my dear, as long as you enjoying yourself and dont need me I'm good. I'll be here when you need me, no worries.

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Hi Everyone

I have been wondering for a long time, what is the difference between the props and materials in the image, and what is that scrolly thing meant to signify?

p003.jpg
    643 x 476 - 155K
    edited July 2012

version3 said:
    Hi Everyone, I have been wondering for a long time, what is the difference between the props and materials in the image, and what is that s thing meant to signify?
    @version3: Well, my friend you really have more than one way to tell. First you can turn on the Extensions in your Prefs and most Items will end with .cr2 and Some times .pz2. But that can not always be a good way because some Materials files can end with .pz2 as well. The more reliable way is which folder they are in. Figures, People, and Props are the folders that have the most Items in them. Textures or Materials are normally in Poses or Materials folders. The Scroll indicates that it has both poser textures and daz textures and the program will load the DAZ version.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jaderail, I am learning something new everyday in this thread. I have it bookmarked now so I don't have to keep searching for it.

edited December 1969

Didn't get much done today. I did put a goatee on Genesis with the idea of turning into a woman, but then decided to go to a Chibi Boy. Got the giggles, but I liked him. Didn't save or render, but got some ideas simmering from it. I guess at some point I turned my extensions on. I know I did because I got tired of trying to apply pz instead of *r. Just can't change hair color if the hair's not already there.

edited December 1969

I knew there was something else. I'm planning to work on posing tomorrow. I know how to split into more than 1 workspace, but is there anyway to have different images in each, like for reference?

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    I knew there was something else. I'm planning to work on posing tomorrow. I know how to split into more than 1 workspace, but is there anyway to have different images in each, like for reference?
    @AtticAnne: Now that one is out of my range of knowledge. I'm a single screen type of fellow. Never did the multi screen thing. Sorry.
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    Lets see if we are on the same page.

You want a different reference image in each Viewport when using a mutli windowed worspace? If that is the case then No, not automatically is the answer, unless you put a plane, with reference image applied, in for each Camera.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

version3 said:
    Hi Everyone

I have been wondering for a long time, what is the difference between the props and materials in the image, and what is that scrolly thing meant to signify?

Here is another tip for you guys.

To get to know the different File formats may I suggest going to Edit > Preferences (F2) > Content Library and make sure Show File Extension is checked on. This will then show all your content with their associated file extension.

FileExtensions.jpg
    604 x 515 - 210K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

Actually, the scroll means that there's a DAZ Studio script file with the same name as the Poser file in the folder and DS will run the script when you double-click on the thumbnail. Usually that's done to put the DA Studio materials preset in with the Poser mat files, so that each application uses its own optimised settings, but it can be used for other things (for Victoria 4 and Michael 4, for example, i launches the Power loader utility so that you can choose which morphs to load).

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    AtticAnne said:
    Lets see if we are on the same page.

You want a different reference image in each Viewport when using a mutli windowed worspace? If that is the case then No, not automatically is the answer, unless you put a plane, with reference image applied, in for each Camera.

Thanks, Szark. That answers my question.

edited December 1969

Thanks Szark and Richard for the extra info.

edited December 1969

I'm tired of this chickie babe and don't seem to be able to get the pose any closer. I feel like just dressing her and sending her forth.

at_piratepinup9z.jpg
    785 x 785 - 186K
    edited December 1969

Yeah, after a certain point, you just have to do that. I've rendered my latest at least 20 times, most of them just trying to get the lighting right, and have probably postworked it to death by now. At this point I think I'm ready to call it "done" and move on to the next project.

Your pose looks really close to to me, especially in the torso and limbs. If you do decide to keep going with it, I think I'd concentrate on the head and hands, and maybe the feet (it's hard to tell). But if you're tired of posing her, maybe moving on to the next step is the best plan of action (there's no reason why you can't revisit the pose afterwards, if you want to).

edited December 1969

I do need to work on the tilt of her head. And her right arm is too high in the air.

Back to my Studio, then to WIP thread.

edited December 1969

Sorry Anne. I've been a little under the weather. I hope your still getting the help you need. I'll try to be back after my treatment wears off.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Sorry Anne. I've been a little under the weather. I hope your still getting the help you need. I'll try to be back after my treatment wears off.

Hope you are feeling better soon! And thanks for all your help here and in the WIP thread. :)
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Hope you are feeling better soon! And thanks for all your help here and in the WIP thread. :)Thank you Scott. I'm pretty healthy but I still have bad days. Sometimes my treatments knock me down also, it's still to early to tell about today yet.
    edited December 1969

I'm really bummed tonight. I thought the contest deadline was today. Got up early and worked all day, went to post to the contest and discovered it was over yesterday. I feel more like crying than laughing now.

I never could get her boots to fit. I had a problem trying to find a setting to put her in. I understand slapping a background in. The one I wanted to use just wasn't right. Tried several sets that I had, only to hit the "can't find so and so file." Ended up with an oh, hell, thrown it in oops I think she's sitting in a pool of water.

I've still got some other poses I had picked out that I can work on. Bryce and Hexagon are calling. Should I make a list like Barry does? Still need to learn about shaders, lighting, cameras. I'll think about it tomorrow.

Love,
    Scarlett

edited December 1969

The New Users contest is live for August. I'm offering help on it or any other topic that a New User might need.

edited December 1969

I'm sure?? I read somewhere that when using raytraced shadows with DoF you have to use different parameters in your render settings and can't recall what they were. Just wondering if that is correct.

Avatars are back, things are getting better every day.

edited December 1969

Check the second post in the August New Users Contest WIP thread. It covers how render settings effect the renders. And has examples to show how it works.

• edited December 1969

I couldn't get an answer in the thread I posted, guess I'll try my luck here...
    I've been tweaking a character for some time now, and I'd like to make a morph out of it, one of those dialable morphs that appear in the shaping tab.
    I've found a good tutorial by a guy named Medhue....I save the morph as a support asset, dsf morph, select everything that I've modified, check for the files in the /data/Daz 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/myname/mymorph...everything seems fine, but the morph doesn't show up! Not in the shaping tab, not even in the parameters tab! What am I doing wrong?
    On the side, is there a faster way to do this, considering that my character has a lot of limits set off?

edited December 1969

WzM_dK said:
    I couldn't get an answer in the thread I posted, guess I'll try my luck here...
    I've been tweaking a character for some time now, and I'd like to make a morph out of it, one of those dialable morphs that appear in the shaping tab.
    I've found a good tutorial by a guy named Medhue....I save the morph as a support asset, dsf morph, select everything that I've modified, check for the files in the /data/Daz 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/myname/mymorph...everything seems fine, but the morph doesn't show up! Not in the shaping tab, not even in the parameters tab! What am I doing wrong?
    On the side, is there a faster way to do this, considering that my character has a lot of limits set off?
    I hate to say this when you have not found help yet but, that is more of an Advanced DS question. This thread is more for teaching people who are new how to do things like add lights change textures ect.. the basic things. Did you ask your question in the Nuts and Bolts Forum? It may take awhile but you should get the help you need.