Daz Studio Basics 101. New Users help for starting with DS.

Comments

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I've been up since 4, but didn't check in because I figured I was the only one. Worked 3 hours on transcribing Carnite's tut, then went back to bed. Now I'm up again. I go through periods like this.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    I've been up since 4, but didn't check in because I figured I was the only one. Worked 3 hours on transcribing Carnite's tut, then went back to bed. Now I'm up again. I go through periods like this.
    Are you having any problems? Is it helping you get the hang of Deformers so far?
    edited December 1969

At least I'm understanding more of the audio now. Got to put on clothes and go to Walmart. My little guys need food. When I get back I crank up 4Pro and see what I can do.

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

My question is, Why do I have to install older content twice?

Unless the product I am installing has one of the new installers Windows always pops up a message saying the content didn't install properly. I am wondering if this is just a bug. I am using Windows 7 64bit.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

version3 said:
    My question is, Why do I have to install older content twice?

Unless the product I am installing has one of the new installers Windows always pops up a message saying the content didn't install properly. I am wondering if this is just a bug. I am using Windows 7 64bit.

You can ignore it -- a lot of older content has a Weblinks folder with read-only entries, so Win7 doesn't let it overwrite them. Just say it installed correctly.

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that, it will be a real time saver as I am reinstalling all my content on a separate partition so that I just need to take an image of that partition for back ups.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

See I have dragged another recruit over Jaderail. LOL

Taken from the July’s Beginners Contest thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3450/P360/#57337

Now I'll get to the few questions, perhaps a little bit specific :-)

Is it possible to smooth only selected body parts with DAZ Studio built-in mesh smoothing?
    No. :)

Why there are so many different properties in the tabs hidden (i.e. the mesh smoother and it's detailed properties)? Good question. :) I am only guessing that they might be there for other advanced functions I have not discovered yet. :) Or they could be there for the future. Still a good question.

And is it possible to unhide them by default? When I unset Hidden in the parameter settings its just for the current scene. Generally they are hidden for a reason. In 3 years I have never needed to show Hidden. Anyway from what I can see it doesn’t stick as soon as you reopen Daz Studio the revert back to Hidden as you found.

What exactly are the p and JCM for V3/M3?

Morph, simply put is to change the shape of said object…to morph it in to a different shape. JCM’s are Joint Control Morphs The for V3/M3 means Victoria 3 and Micheal 3, Generation 3, we are now on Generation 5 with Genesis.

How to create sweat on the skin with the built-in shader-capabilities in DAZ Studio?

Are you talking about the Shader Mixer or the Standard Advanced Surfaces Pane?

There are Wet Maps for V4 http://www.daz3d.com/shop/universal-wet-maps-and-orcamaid/ which work in the Normal Surfaces Pane. Not sure what is on the market on other content sites for other figures. What this is I think is a bunch of Specular Maps to give the illusion of wetness. I don’t have the product myself.

During experimenting with ambient, diffuse and specular color values I didn't accomplish a convincing result.
    Hell, how they depend upon each other... :-( Do you know some written tutorials?

They don’t up to a point. The all work separately to give the “whole” but Bump and Displacement can affect the specular highlights and make reflections more blurred.

Try this one for a little more help with the Surfaces Pane The different bits of the surface tab.

edited December 1969

p stands for partial -- if you have a full-body morph (FBM), there is a partial for that morph on each body part that is affected by it. In rare situations you might want to adjust the FBM on a specific body part.

edited December 1969

Thanks Mike for the backup.

edited December 1969

This is great!! We have more teachers than students. Tell me one school were a student can get this kind of attention.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

Not a single one. This is a great place to learn.

• deloquenciadeloquencia Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

Hello,

thanks, szark and fixmypcmike for your answers.

Actually the mesh smoother is much more powerful with the hidden properties with which you can set it up more detailed. Take a look (-:
    For the creation of sweat I meant the shader tab.
    With shaders in general I've got only with Poser in touch, it seems they're way simpler for a beginner.
    Thanks for the links.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. Haven't tried deformers yet (they might have come in handy in my scene!) but I'll take a look at the tutorial and start playing around with it. I have a question...not sure if this is the best place to ask...is there a good tutorial on hair that someone can recommend? When I use Genesis hair on Genesis it's easy, of course, but I also have some 3rd and 4th Gen hair I like to use on Genesis. I can usually get it to look pretty good, but I can't help wondering if there are easier ways that I'm missing, or things I can do to improve the fit beyond "pretty good." And what's the difference between a hair prop or conforming figure, and when should one use each, if the hair comes both ways?

edited July 2012

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. Haven't tried deformers yet (they might have come in handy in my scene!) but I'll take a look at the tutorial and start playing around with it. I have a question...not sure if this is the best place to ask...is there a good tutorial on hair that someone can recommend? When I use Genesis hair on Genesis it's easy, of course, but I also have some 3rd and 4th Gen hair I like to use on Genesis. I can usually get it to look pretty good, but I can't help wondering if there are easier ways that I'm missing, or things I can do to improve the fit beyond "pretty good." And what's the difference between a hair prop or conforming figure, and when should one use each, if the hair comes both ways?
    @Scott-Livingston: That should get you going with Deformers. As for non-genesis hair on genesis the best I can do is pretty good like you. I do this in DS4Pro I do not use DS4.5 RC2 yet, I start with an empty scene and load the hair first, most conforming hairs will load into the proper place, I then load my Genesis. I then edit my genesis into the character I will use including any expresion if I can. I now start with the hair, if it needs moving into place I do, then I use the hairs morphs to get the fit as close as I can. When I've done all I can I Parent the Hair to Genesis' Head. that is the best way I know to use them. Another tip, the Genesis figure is a tad larger than the Gen 4 figures, sometimes scaling genesis down just a little will help lots.
    The different types of hairs are easy to tell apart, a .Cr2 hair is conforming and a .Hr2 hiar is considered a prop hair. Conforming hairs normaly auto fit a model it was designed for were Prop hair will use a Fit in the morphs. I'm sure that is not all thier is to it and I hope another will give you better info than I can on them.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Whether a hair should be prop or conforming depends on how many of the character's bones it needs to follow. Short hair just needs to attach to the head, and doesn't need to follow the rest of the body, so those are usually props. Long hair that needs to flow properly with the shoulders or chest is usually conforming, so the parts of the hair that need to follow those body parts can do so. A conforming item is "Fit to" the character, while a prop hair is "Parented to" the head.

edited December 1969

I love this stuff, even I get schooled. Thanks for the info fixmypcmike. It makes things much clearer now.

edited December 1969

Yes, that really does clear things up! Thanks to both of you!

edited July 2012

I posted this in another thread and thought it a good tip. :coolcheese:

Did you know you can increase a light to beyond 100% when Daz Studio won’t let you, well you can.

Most light intensity values have a maximum setting of 100% but this goes for a number of Values strewn throughout Daz Studio. But there is a way to increase the maximum and minimum value of any setting using the Parameters Settings Dialogue Box. In most cases this will work.

If you haven't noticed the little Cog next to the Values or wondered what it does (See image one)…

..clicking on the Cog will reveal a drop down box showing the command Parameter Settings. (See image two)

Another Window opens giving you the option of typing in new values and "Accept" applies the new values. (See image three)

Another good use among many examples of this is Ambient Strength increased to above 100% will make it glow more and even more so when it comes to Indirect Lighting using the Ambient Channel to use as a light source.

ParameterSettings3.jpg
    317 x 446 - 104K
    ParameterSettings2.jpg
    381 x 459 - 125K
    ParameterSettings.jpg
    388 x 439 - 123K
    Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Very Good tips Szark. Thank you for those.

edited December 1969

Day 3 on Carnite's tutorial. I think you just helped me out, Szark. She says she scaled down the D-form field to 50000 and I couldn't figure out how to do that. I'm actually getting closing to using D-form.

edited December 1969

You should have asked about Scale and stuff Anne. I know all that stuff. That is the kind of stuff I started this thread for. If you get stuck again just ask. We all will jump in and help.

• spmwcspmwc Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

Hey Jaderail, Thanks for starting a class like this for us newbies. I know I can use all the help I can get!!!!! My problem is concerning zip files.(Hope this applies as a newbie question) I have purchased content that came in a zip file and cannot figure out how to load it to my studio. All the content I have bought that has come in an exe. file loads with no problem. Can you explain the difference between a zip file and an exe. file. Also what is the difference in how you load them. Can you explain in layman terms from start to finish how to load a zip file. Every time I ask this question I get directed to an old post, but I guess I am not very computer savy because I get lost in the computer jargon. I have DAZ3D 4 Pro version. Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium, 32bit with 4 gigs of memory. Every one has been very kind and helpful on this forum but I am really lost on this one!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your help! Hope you are doing well!!!!!!!!!:-):P:red:

edited December 1969

spmwc said:
    Hey Jaderail, Thanks for starting a class like this for us newbies. I know I can use all the help I can get!!!!! My problem is concerning zip files.(Hope this applies as a newbie question) I have purchased content that came in a zip file and cannot figure out how to load it to my studio. All the content I have bought that has come in an exe. file loads with no problem. Can you explain the difference between a zip file and an exe. file. Also what is the difference in how you load them. Can you explain in layman terms from start to finish how to load a zip file. Every time I ask this question I get directed to an old post, but I guess I am not very computer savy because I get lost in the computer jargon. I have DAZ3D 4 Pro version. Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium, 32bit with 4 gigs of memory. Every one has been very kind and helpful on this forum but I am really lost on this one!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your help! Hope you are doing well!!!!!!!!!:-):P:red:
    @spmwc: I have replyed to your Zip question in your first post about them. I'm sorry I missed you when you asked but I was out for a few hours. I would prefer helping with that in your first thread, this is more of a how to use DS than a how to get it set up thread. See you in the other one soon I hope.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    You should have asked about Scale and stuff Anne. I know all that stuff. That is the kind of stuff I started this thread for. If you get stuck again just ask. We all will jump in and help.

Not exactly stuck, Teach, just slow getting to that point in doing the tutorial. I wondered why Carnite's workspace and menus didn't look like mine and finally the light bulb came on. Duh, she's using DS3 and I'm using DS4. Nothing to worry about, I can handle that.

edited December 1969

Okay, I have another question: I know that images can look different depending on the settings of the screen or monitor on which they are viewed. Are there recommended settings that we should use to help ensure the proper level of lighting, contrast, color balance, etc.? I render on my laptop, and find that my images sometimes look too dark when viewed on other monitors. Yet renders by more experienced artists tend to look good regardless of which machine I'm viewing them on...

edited December 1969

Nothing like posting an image to show us what you mean Scott. :) Can I suggest making a Render WIP Thread in the Art Studio or Begineers Section. The we can better advise and give pointers. But like all this there are so many ways to skin a cat (sorry cat loavers, no offence).

edited July 2012

Okay, I have another question: I know that images can look different depending on the settings of the screen or monitor on which they are viewed. Are there recommended settings that we should use to help ensure the proper level of lighting, contrast, color balance, etc.? I render on my laptop, and find that my images sometimes look too dark when viewed on other monitors. Yet renders by more experienced artists tend to look good regardless of which machine I'm viewing them on...
    @Scott-Livingston: That sounds like a Gamma Setting. It can be changed in your render settings but the real cure is a properly calibrated monitor. You can do a Google Search and find Many calibration guides, most will offer images that have parts you need to match, if it is out of calibration parts might not even be visible on your monitor. You can also check your monitor Menu and try Set to Factory Defaults, or it's equivalent. Why would your settings matter you ask? Well if your default Gamma setting for your monitor is not the Standard accepted setting your saved Render is saved with your Default setting in the file as the Standard setting. So your renders look right to you AND a render saved with a Standard setting will display at the proper setting on your monitor because the gamma is set to standard when displayed, it ups the gamma to the saved setting in the file. Your render will change when viewed on another PC because it is below standard when saved and will set the Gamma when shown on screen. Your render will still look normal on your PC because it is normal on your monitor.

Thats a lot of tech talk and I hope you can follow it.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Thanks. I think that's exactly the information I was looking for. My latest New User WIP looked slightly too dark on my monitor, but now that I'm viewing it on another screen it looks way too dark. It doesn't help that my monitor is one of those LCD screens that looks different depending on the viewing angle... I'll try recalibrating and see how that goes.

edited December 1969

Your Welcome. I hope you solve your Gamma blues and get back to rendering very fast.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

Thanks. I think that's exactly the information I was looking for. My latest New User WIP looked slightly too dark on my monitor, but now that I'm viewing it on another screen it looks way too dark. It doesn't help that my monitor is one of those LCD screens that looks different depending on the viewing angle... I'll try recalibrating and see how that goes.

That's the big reason I decided to get an LED monitor. I don't have any of those problems anymore.