Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@David - great effect, got to watch that video now.

@hansmar - candles have greatly improved, the red one looks really nice. The flames are not yet as they should be.

@StuartB4 - I haven't noticed that. With all the new web services DAZ has put up to replace the working ones there are still issues; luckily, mostly minor ones.

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

c-ram said:
    Awesome David!!....Trish

Thanks Trish, here's another little experiment along the same lines.

Agree with Trish, that's incredible... I wonder how you can make such fantastic effect by using fuzzy factor in Bryce.

Maybe this will help?

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - SSS effect for mesh models - by David Brinnen

Also, Mermaid, looking good! Always nice to see the tutorials getting used.

Really awesome David.. This is the most realistic effect I've ever seen in Bryce. However, it's going to be unrealizable to use it for a landscape..

Once again thank you for the explanation, very technical but so didactic. It's always a pleasure to watch!

@ orbital : can't wait to see the final result of your next sci-fi scene! You and Lown are my favorite artists in this kind of style.

edited December 1969

I gave David's SSS video a try, though I incorporated a slightly smaller copy of the object within and not behind the main one. This makes manipulating the object as a group possible. I also used the same HDRI as for the specular map but specular convolved as backdrop. I think this gives a nicer contrast than just a white sky. I also set TIR to 2. Rendering with 36 rpp is a bit on the low side but less than 15 minutes is an acceptable time to wait.

1. MatCreators Alien Artefact 15.
    2. xyzrgb-Dragon from the Stanford Scanning Repository.
    3. Ditto, I just inverted the colours and rendered with 64 rpp (22 minutes).

VideoTest12.jpg
    600 x 400 - 42K
    VideoTest11.jpg
    600 x 400 - 47K
    VideoTest01.jpg
    400 x 600 - 46K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited February 2014

Horo: Really nice!! The alien thing could almost be some kind of plant life

Post edited by Trish on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

These fascinate me, I think the blue dragon is better than the orange one, but then blue is my favourite colour.

edited December 1969

I wanted to play with my dragon too....just for the fun of it......Trish

dragon3.jpg
    1408 x 635 - 898K
  • GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited February 2014

Hi Folks;

Haven't been around for a couple of days - we got hit with major snow storm ( I'll have to put up some photos later ) Spent a few days plowing, getting stuck with my plow truck. (You know it's bad when you are stuck with a high ground clearance 4x4 that normally can go anywhere and you get stuck on a city street - then friends and family try to pull you out with 2 other 4x4 vehicles and they start getting stuck in the process. ) Finally had to pay an old friend $35 to come with his wrecker. Hope this is last great snow of season as I plow for several friends and family members as well as my own yard and we all have run out of room to put snow.

Then to top it off, we dumped our cable company for our phone / internet service and went back to our AT&T and got a very nice high speed router/modem/wireless unit. My Internet has never been so fast before... Happy Days again !!

@ Orbital: Really love your sci-fi scene - Reminds me of an old Analog sci-fi magazine cover - Nicely done. Looking forward to seeing the final version.

@ Hansmar: Candles are really coming along nice - Have to agree with Horo that the flames still need a minor bit of work ( Don't they always - I always hate trying to do realistic flames myself.

@ David: Nicely done on the SSS Experiments - Will have to make a point of checking out your tutorial on that. Beautiful job.

@ Mermaid: Really enjoyed your scenic sea scene (Say that 5 times fast) Love the lighting effect thru the rocks formation.

@ Horo: Very nice on the SSS technique you applied - Especially love the dragon images. ( I think someone else mentioned it already but I agree the other model has a very alien look to it. The I took another look and I see it is an alien artifact as such - Cool... (Love all stuff alien)

@ Trish: Last but no least - Got a kick out of your dragon scene - Very adorable little guy. Poor little guy seems a bit overwhelmed in that terrain...

Have a great day folks - Off to visit with some of the grandkids downstairs as Mel babysitting today.

Bruce

Post edited by Goshtac on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Was out of town the entire past week. Fortunately weather was very nice.

@Bruce: Like what you're doing creating streets. Did you remember all the utilities?

@hansmar: Your candles look good. I like the flames on the first series over the second. The reason being the flames in the second image are broken at the tips to the point they're bits of flame.

@Dave: Really like the lens flair scene, love the play of light on the buildings. And the doodle is right up there.

@TLBKlaus: I'm really struck how vibrant your latest abstracts look. I drool every time I see a new one.

@David: Love how stunning the color is on the dragon. To me, the look of the armadillo has a very green jade look to it.

@orbital: What you've done so far is fascinating. Will like to see it when it's completed. Planets will really make it zing.

@mermaid: Fabulous scene. I agree with Horo about the light rays. It's just a fantastic scene.

@Trish: Neat looking scene.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Thank you for your kind remarks regarding my SSS experiment and video.

Horo, I think the blue is better, the orange one seems a tad glowy. The process is deeply fiddly though and subjective - so it is entirely possible someone else might have the reverse view.

Here's another example using Horo's Grarage Closed HDRI as a backdrop and source for the reflection map in the material channel.

Fuzzy4_purple_d5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 249K
    edited December 1969

@David - yes, it's fiddly to balance the values for the outer and inner layer. The Happy Buddha looks great.

Below a test render I made following my memo I made from David's video. The memo can be found on my website (see sig). Go to Bryce Documents > Memos > Materials > Advanced SSS Effect.

Both objects were made in Wings3D some time ago. The colours used are the opposite or complementary ones, rendered with 256 rpp in less than 1-1/2 hours.

MemoTest.jpg
    900 x 600 - 78K
    edited February 2014

Horo said:
    @David - yes, it's fiddly to balance the values for the outer and inner layer. The Happy Buddha looks great.

Below a test render I made following my memo I made from David's video. The memo can be found on my website (see sig). Go to Bryce Documents > Memos > Materials > Advanced SSS Effect.

Both objects were made in Wings3D some time ago. The colours used are the opposite or complementary ones, rendered with 256 rpp in less than 1-1/2 hours.

Wow! That worked really well. Particularly so for the green one, the one on the right, internally is a little aglow for my tastes, but the one on the left looks spot on to me.

Here's what I've just rendered right now.

P54_AB_HTgel_render_example1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 220K
    P54_AB_IBL_render_example1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 259K
    P54_AB_preview_mix3_eg.jpg
    600 x 600 - 276K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • orbitalorbital Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

Postwork done

sall_we_go.jpg
    1400 x 800 - 331K
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

I can log in again (yea) ! Turned out to be a DAZ "frontend"cookie problem (thanks Chohole for that).

David - love the caves and your SSS experiments.
    Horo - excellent Cospe image and also your SSS studies.
    Stuart - really like the Fairy Castle and Water Palace images.
    Orbital - stunning!
    To all that post and that I missed it sure is nice to see Bryce is still enjoyed by so many!

Here's some more fooling with Groboto models (booleans in this case). Textured in Bryce and illuminated by one spot and the "Japanese Subway" HDRI. Rendered with TA @64RPP, about 50 minutes to render. Thanks for looking!

cyltor_2000.jpg
    800 x 800 - 228K
    edited December 1969

@orbital - better!

@David - better? I decreased levels to around 80%.

@Dan - thank you, looking great your Clyator. Good to see you back!

MemoTest1.jpg
    900 x 600 - 76K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @orbital - better!

@David - better? I decreased levels to around 80%.

@Dan - thank you, looking great your Clyator. Good to see you back!

Horo, outstanding!

As is both Orbitals postworked scene and Dan's Clyator... whatever one of those is?

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
    edited December 1969

@bullit35744. Of course, you should notice. They are indeed more pinkish red. Sorry! Your dragon is more purple and looks funny.

@Horo and goshtac and GussNemo. Indeed. The flames may be an issue now. I used slabfire or something. However, my first flames don't look very good because the glow around the inner flame (which was made with 'fuzzy' material) had too much of a darkening effect in the middle and did cut off suddenly somewhere. So I changed the flames. Will try to find a better material again.

@Horo. Wonderful works with the SSS. I also included a slightly smaller version inside and not one behind. I should check David's videos again to see exactly what he did. Your blue dragon is really nice.
    Regarding your Wings-things, they are both somewhat dazzling inside at the first attempt. Second is better indeed.

@DavidBrinnen. Strange render at the bottom (the pebblematerial thingy on pebbles). Your buddha is wonderfully textured and lighted.

@orbital. Nice scene. But howcome the spacesuits are lighted from the left, where the dark garage is? Oh, I see, there is a kind of sun to the left!

@dan whiteside. Wonderful render of your Claytor. What does it do?

Finally, the next render of my candles. I think the candles look better still today. I made inside and outside (very close to the inside) in Hexagon. Now you don't see two layers anymore. I decided to hide the general light to see what happened and lo, the candles were too weak to reach the floor (most of the light eaten up by the volume materials, I assume). Rendering: more than 36 hours in Super mode (fine art aliasing). Only light from the two radial light in the flames. Radial lights now with squared fall-off, diffuse strength 400. Flames still not improved. Will work on that later. This time, I gave inner (volume) layer the same colour as outer (transparent, surface). Maybe play with the transparent layer colour again to get more whiteness in the red one.

candles10.jpg
    700 x 700 - 179K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@Dan Whiteside.

Stuart - really like the Fairy Castle and Water Palace images.

Thanks Dan.
    As much as I would like to take the credit, they are actually TheSavage64's renders.
    :)

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@ Orbital - All I can say is WOW - As Dan stated, your final space scene with Postwork finished is Stunning!!! Beautiful scene.

@ Dan: Love that render of the gadget - Fantastic and very real looking. Nice to see you spending more time back here with Bryce.

Bruce

edited February 2014

@Horo: Seems I overlooked complimenting you on your previous renders. I agree about the blue dragon looking super. And your cubes are real eye candy. Nice work. I downloaded your memo and will have to read through it and give it a go sometime. Thanks for the memo, by the way.

@David: The happy Buddha is quite lovely. Both color and lighting are nice on the eyes. And your torus knot + images are equally nice.

@orbital: My my my, that scene turned out great. Adding those colored clouds and planets really brought the scene to life.

@dan: Stunning work. And I'm with the others; what the heck is it?

@hansmar: Your latest candle image does look better. One thing I do see is a red spot at the base of the red candle. Perhaps something is leaking through to the outside?

Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited February 2014

Bruce: That is some really bad snow...when you run out of places to pile it...WOW...and get a big truck stuck....show us some pictures before it goes away....
    Dan: glad you are able to log on again ...what do you mean by front cookies...I have been having problems logging in also but my browser is set to clear all on exit...maybe that would help me also ...please let me know how you fixed it...kind of step by step as I don't have a great understanding of these things....Thanks
    hansmar: I see what you are saying now....don't be sorry....its me who didn't get it ( which is pretty normal in my case)
    Horo: you already know which one I will choose....LOL
    David: Are those the materials that you made for Daz???
    Orbital: your work is always so good

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Bruce: That is some really bad snow...when you run out of places to pile it...WOW...and get a big truck stuck....show us some pictures before it goes away....
    Dan: glad you are able to log on again ...what do you mean by front cookies...I have been having problems logging in also but my browser is set to clear all on exit...maybe that would help me also ...please let me know how you fixed it...kind of step by step as I don't have a great understanding of these things....Thanks
    hansmar: I see what you are saying now....don't be sorry....its me who didn't get it ( which is pretty normal in my case)
    Horo: you already know which one I will choose....LOL
    David: Are those the materials that you made for Daz???
    Orbital: your work is always so good

Short answer is yes if by Daz you mean DS?.

Longer answer is, those are materials generated from the seamless textures and effects maps I made from the photographs taken by ForbiddenWhispers who I collaborated with to produce a series of shaders for DS and in turn Horo and I are using the same source material to work on a set of materials, lights and tutorials for Bryce. Due to the differences in the ways that DS and Bryce handle image textures it's not possible to re-create exactly parallel materials between Bryce and DS. It would have been interesting if DAZ had continued the development of the Bryce compatible procedural set for DS but that vanished from the store a couple of years ago. For Bryce I'm presently working on a set of render/light presets since a significant part of getting the most from materials is lighting them well. Then the plan is to look at ways in which the tiles can be remixed with procedural materials in Bryce.

P54_AB_advanced_mix_eg5.jpg
    600 x 600 - 240K
    P54_AB_IBL_render_example1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 259K
    P54_AB_HALO_render_example1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 208K
    P54_AB_basicTA_render_example1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 207K
    P54_AB_BASIC_render_example1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 250K
    edited December 1969

@Trish - your cute dragon seems to have managed to make quite a mess. Yeah, I reckon you prefer the shape with a similar colour like the the little rogue. As David explains, DS and Bryce materials/shaders are not compatible. Procedural support for DS ended with the departure of Brian Wagner.

@Bruce - not knowing where to put all the snow is what usually is our problem here. Not this winter, though. It appears that we sent it all over to you. But winter isn't finished. We had a March which brought us 20 inches in one night.

@orbital - space suits seem to be lit from a bright light above at left since shoulder tops are also lit. I don't agree with hansmar here. Everything looks good to me. Though I'm rather a purist when it comes to Bryce and do not resort to postwork, the final artwork is what counts, not the means how it was accomplished.

@David - thanks.

@hansmar - candles progress nicely but you're not yet there.

I think Dan's Clyator is a machine that provokes the question "What the heck is it for?" or similar.

• orbitalorbital Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys for the kind comments.
    @ Horo. Being a purist is fine by me. In a way I am myself when it comes to modelling. I try to make everything myself because I find it a challenge and also enjoyable.

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

@Hansmar,
    Those are certainly some strangely contorted candles, fascinating to see the progression of the materials and lighting in this scene.

@DaveSavage,
    Beautiful building with all that water, the faint blue light or reflection on the left is what makes it for me, and it's nice the way the light comes off the underside of the arches. Makes me think of Vienna.
    Nice sky you've got with the Shroom Castle, and I like the camera angle on that too.

@TLBKlaus,
    Interesting abstracts. I like the last one best, probably because it looks rather like a sci-fi tunnel.

@David,
    Interesting materials you're working on there, looks a bit like jelly... or something a bit harder, plastic of some kind.
    Or some sort of glass or semi precious stone... not sure, nice colours though.

@Orbital,
    Hi Joe, haven't seen you around for a while, interesting start to one of your sci-fi scenes.
    2nd post: Love the post work on it.

@Mermaid,
    Oh wow, what a wonderful image! Love the sun's rays.

@Stuart,
    Interesting shape of car you have there, can't say I like the colour much though.

@Horo,
    Interesting green & purple shapes. I particularly like the purple one.

@Dan,
    Glad you can finally get into the forum.
    Fascinating doohicky you have there, is it turned on? If not perhaps it would be a good idea to be sure of what it does before you try turning it on. I mean, do we really need clyatoring? Lol.

@David,
    Nice to see you're back to ground surfaces, nice and crunchy looking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry if I've missed anything, but I've been absent for quite a while rendering ice.

Here's my latest 3d model – this is FrozenPea, she's rather shy and timid, and is a little smaller than the other Peas, she has a frozen Ice Cap and quite a few icicles, which explains the long render times.
    I've also managed to firm up my ideas for the last 2 characters, SweetPea's father the King of Pealand, who is Pea-Tar The Great and Pinto, who is the King's Master Spy. I've now got sketches for these characters.

There may be a few other characters, like possibly 'Pea-Nut' or 'Pea-Wit', but for now there are just:
    BeefCake (the Palace Guard) a sergeant major type, likes pacing about.
    Ha-Pea; a youngster who likes listening to the radio, he's a bit out of contact with everyone else, likes singing, out of tune mostly.
    Pea-Brain; the clever one, likes making maps, and blueprints, and figuring out things, he's a bit of a 'Professor Brainstorm' type, has more than 1 pair of glasses which he's always mislaying somewhere.
    SweetPea; the Princess, lives in the palace, and seems to live for shoes.
    Pea-Tar The Great; The King of Pealand, an older fellow, worries a lot.
    And finally,
    Pinto; he's a bit of a mystery, he's the King's Master Spy but he's also incredibly flamboyant, you wouldn't think he'd be able to find out anything, as he just doesn't seem the type to be able to slink about surreptitiously – and yet, he seems to know things anyway...

Pinto.png
    762 x 1762 - 516K
    PeaTarTheGreat.png
    727 x 1674 - 519K
    FrozenPea7.jpg
    1100 x 840 - 270K
    edited February 2014

I know someone some where has ran into this.....I hope......My printer which is not the best is a HP Deskjet 3512.....when ever I print out one of my renders it is way to dark.....Does anyone have any ideas??? thanks in advance....Trish
    Fran: Frozen pea is really cool

Post edited by Trish on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

*snip*
    Fran: Frozen pea is really cool

Grrh Trish beat me to that comment. :coolsmile:

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited December 1969

Great pictures in this thread.

I came across an old topic of mine: Skin. I used a old modell for my test and a fill light. I think the skin looks for a genesis texture not too bad.

EireenMitFillight.jpg
    1200 x 720 - 58K
    edited December 1969

@David: It's too bad that DS material can't be ported to Bryce, I really like how it looks on those torus knots.

@fran: Frozen pea is neat. And, I'm sorry here, but is charming. It's always interesting to see what new characters you create. Hope we keep seeing them.

@electro: From where I sit, the skin tone on that girl looks really good. Though she may need a bit more sun.

edited December 1969

@franontheedge - the FrozenPea looks really nice.

@Trish - brightness of print-outs is often a bit of an issue, even if you send your renders in for a photo print. The display can show a brightness range of 255:1, the best printers or photographs on ultra white glossy paper under the most favourable lighting conditions 100:1. That's less than half. You've got to make some test prints using the same render and gradually decrease contrast in a graphics app. Use 4 to 6 different settings and assemble them to 1 page to print. In this way, you can find how you have to process your renders before you send them to your printer using your paper. I also print my renders using glossy 180 grams paper and highest print quality. My results are as good as what I got back from the photo print lab, though it's more expensive.

@electro-elvis - skin doesn't look bad but in this even light it is not that difficult. I miss a bit more of gloss or specular highlight. At least the face doesn't look powdered, which is already a great improvement. How does it look when a prominent light shines from a side, the front or the back? Skin is a challenge, also for DS that handles it much better than Bryce. In the galleries you seldom see a natural looking skin.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited February 2014

"As much as I would like to take the credit, they are actually TheSavage64’s renders."

Well shoot - that's what happens when I rely on my aging memory. My apologies to you both!

Thanks for the comments, when I figure out what the Clyator dues I'll let y'all know :-)

Now if I just didn't have to trash my cookies every time I want to Log-In… Got to love DAZ mediocrity.

Post edited by Dan Whiteside on
This discussion has been closed.