*closed* RRRR - One day in XXXs life Render Contest (With prizes galore)

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited February 2014

Also, find a texture of a screen or make one, and put that in the Surfaces, so your remaining squares appear to have tiny screen openings.

butterflyNetScreen.jpg
    500 x 500 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited February 2014

Okay, with that one under the belt and out of the way, on to pull #2!

And this time, I ended up with:
    2398 - M3 Everyday Wear
    590 - Diner Food 1
    54 - Trendy College Outfit for Genesis 2 Male(s)
    2075 - Songbird Remix: Pose Pack

'Songbird Remix', eh? Hmm, this one has barbult's name all over it! ;-P

Thanks to my BFF (Google!), I found a butterfly net, and was thus able to complete the scene!

Also used:
    Ash character for Teen Jayden 6 (a.k.a., Genesis 2 Male(s))
    Micah Hair
    Moonshine's Diner
    Moonshine's Diner Interior
    Streets
    Diner Tableware (Because, otherwise, well.... Gross!)
    Interiors: Classroom (Book and binder)
    Songbird Remix: Threatened, Endangered, Extinct (for the texture)
    Digger James character for M3
    Adventure for M3 (Textures for Everyday Wear)
    Goth As Fashion for M3 (Boots)
    Relic Hunter Essentials
    Victoria 4 (as barbult!)
    Sam character for V4
    Rockin' Casual for V4
    Flexy Hair for V4
    Baseball Bat by Harrgunn from ShareCG
    Butterfly net by Francemi, courtesy of Kids & Cute Toons Club (KCTC Freebies - www.kctc.francemi.net)

This one isn't so much 'mockery' as it is a tribute; if someone is harassing a threatened, endangered, or thought-to-be-extinct species, I can easily imagine that barbult would not hesitate to pick up the nearest proverbial 'blunt instrument' and go to town on his ass!

TAG: obanion#02
    Title: Well, There's Something You Don't See Everyday!
    (A Day in the Life of barbult)

Ashton was enjoying a leisurely breakfast while studying for his upcoming History mid-term, when odd goings-on on the street outside caught his attention: a man, carrying a butterfly net, was chasing a bird, while a woman, wielding a baseball bat, was chasing him! Ashton had never seen the man before, but he immediately recognized the woman as barbult, with whom he shared a Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy class.

Ashton also identified the bird as a Carolina Parakeet, and his astonishment grew by leaps and bounds -- not only was it the largest specimen he had ever seen, but the fact that he was seeing it at all was nothing short of extraordinary! The Carolina Parakeet had been declared extinct nearly a century ago! To actually see one alive was an amazing sight, and it looked as though barbult intended to make darned sure this one stayed that way!

...nice one.

(...*whew*....[wipes forehead])

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

I tested it, doesn't work so well because the squares in the back line up with the ones in front and you have a blobby mess. Sorry, but I tried!

edited December 1969

I upped the bump and displacement, had to put a spotlight on it because it was rendering so dark even with the ambient, specular, and diffuse all set on light gray, etc- lots of twiddling but when rendered, the squares just ran together based on the angle. Here's what the sphere looked like though with the top half hidden/ squares hidden. It was a good thought anyway.

Gotta run- hope you find something that works :)

butterflyNetScreen2.jpg
    1200 x 1159 - 285K
  • Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    I tested it, doesn't work so well because the squares in the back line up with the ones in front and you have a blobby mess. Sorry, but I tried!

Thanks anyway! And thank you to everyone else for your suggestions!

I actually got to the point of firing up Blender, fully intending to bite the bullet and model one. (Hey, how hard could it be, right?) I got the handle and the hoop done, and was working on the net itself, when I remembered a couple of sites that offered free 3-D models; meshes only, for the most part, but I can do procedural shaders, no sweat!

I found a free one, at TurboSquid; unfortunately, it was in 3D Studio Max format, and there are no conversion utilities. (It's a 'closed' format.) Others were priced at anywhere from $24 to (gasp!) $49. Finally, Google pointed me into the Freepository, where I found the link to KCTC.

Good ol' Google: sees all, knows all, and -- fortunately for me -- tells all!

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,489
    edited December 1969

Ashton was enjoying a leisurely breakfast while studying for his upcoming History mid-term, when odd goings-on on the street outside caught his attention: a man, carrying a butterfly net, was chasing a bird, while a woman, wielding a baseball bat, was chasing him! Ashton had never seen the man before, but he immediately recognized the woman as barbult, with whom he shared a Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy class.

Ashton also identified the bird as a Carolina Parakeet, and his astonishment grew by leaps and bounds -- not only was it the largest specimen he had ever seen, but the fact that he was seeing it at all was nothing short of extraordinary! The Carolina Parakeet had been declared extinct nearly a century ago! To actually see one alive was an amazing sight, and it looked as though barbult intended to make darned sure this one stayed that way!

Great one Ken!
    edited December 1969

Tag:Totte#3

Totte said:

#2388 Jungle Hideaway
    #2906 Night Guard for Genesis 2 Male(s)
    #1927 Forest Scout
    #1058 Boho Chic

Also used:
    Moonshine driven (ground) + Ankor Wat (palm trees) + palenque Ruins + ART enchanted Terrance (bar) + The Dolce Vita Bar (bottle stands and bottles)
    Bartender: V4 + Eleana + Urban Shabby Chic + DeRoca Hair + Wine Me (glass)
    Jaderail: Genesis + M4 Drow + Evan Hair + Effortless Cool
    John Snow: M6 + Short beard for Genesis + Exnem Glasses + [shader] Metalized Glass + Jordan Hair + North Ranger for Night Guard
    Ayra Stark: Genesis + Julianna textures + Master Skull Cap + Moon Hair + Roaming Scout for Forest Scout +

A day in Jaderails life
    Jaderail was happy, he had one a ticket to the Game Of Thrones walk-and-talk party. He went to the bar, where John Snow and Ayra Stark was standing. The bartender was German for some reason and when Jaderail planned to start his three-martini-lunch, he happily said to the bartender: - "Dry Martini please". It didn't take long, and in front of him stood three glasses with Martini Bianco.

Jaderail just didn't believe it. He shook his head, and said slowy D-r-y M-a-r-t-i-n-i, and the bartender happily replied "Yez, Drei Martini, you like Martini Rosso?", and she poured him a glass of Martini Rosso.

Jaderail was furious and said, no, give me a beer, but she quickly replied: "Sorry sir, tze beer ist .... its .... kaputt".

Jade turn his back on the bar, left it, and when he came home he realized he didn't even shake hands with John Snow or Ayra Stark, what a lousy day indeed.

jaderails_day_pw.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 353K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...heh heh, good one

Love the language barrier, even between 'merican english and "English".

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Tag:Totte#3

A day in Jaderails life
    Jaderail was happy, he had one a ticket to the Game Of Thrones walk-and-talk party. He went to the bar, where John Snow and Ayra Stark was standing. The bartender was German for some reason and when Jaderail planned to start his three-martini-lunch, he happily said to the bartender: - "Dry Martini please". It didn't take long, and in front of him stood three glasses with Martini Bianco.

Jaderail just didn't believe it. He shook his head, and said slowy D-r-y M-a-r-t-i-n-i, and the bartender happily replied "Yez, Drei Martini, you like Martini Rosso?", and she poured him a glass of Martini Rosso.

Jaderail was furious and said, no, give me a beer, but she quickly replied: "Sorry sir, tze beer ist .... its .... kaputt".

Jade turn his back on the bar, left it, and when he came home he realized he didn't even shake hands with John Snow or Ayra Stark, what a lousy day indeed.

Excellent, Totte!

And speaking of bartenders and Dry Martinis (you knew this was coming, didn't you?)....

I was visiting my niece and her husband some years ago, and took them out to dinner at a local steakhouse. I ordered a Martini, according to my preferred recipe: Ketel One vodka, "exquisitely dry", up, one olive. The waitress returned with my cocktail: two -- count 'em, two -- olives, and way, way, way too much vermouth! So I sent it back. Twice. (The second one was almost as bad!)

Well, third time's a charm, and all that. After I sampled it and signed off on it, my niece started chatting with our server. How long had she been working at the restaurant, was she enjoying the job, and similar small-talk. The waitress said she had been working there for about three months, and yes, she was enjoying it very much.

"Well, up until tonight," I remarked dryly. (Hey, the Martini wasn't, so I figured I had to...!)

The waitress said, "No, you're fine. It's just that our bartender is an idiot."

I picked the cocktail spear out of my glass and held it up: two olives. Again. "Well," I said, "since he apparently cannot count to 'one', I have to agree with you."

She got a 40% tip.

edited December 1969

So, on to Round Three!

My pull:
    1491 - Skyrider
    1045 - Lycan Hunter
    1893 - Teen Sportswear
    2208 - Fairytale Prince for M4 and H4

Hmm, can this get any weirder?

Now I gotta figure out who to 'nail'!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Wow this thread has took off so well. It is so fun. I've yet to get that 3 martini lunch, some day. LOL.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,129
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:

And so to pull number two:

1349 = Wine Me
    395 = Divinity Skies Prophecy
    1310 = Mermaid Tails Expansion Genesis
    564 = Angelic Dynamic Bundle for V4 and M4

Ah yes, that gives me an idea...

TAG:MelanieL#2

Well the sun went way over the yardarm some time ago, but,
    Ken OBanion Wonders...
    ... was that last Martini just one too many?

Also Used:
    Ken = G2M (mix of morphs, Colin skin), Mitch Hair (freebie), Newport Outfit for G2M, SPEX for Genesis
    Mermaid = Genesis, Isla Character and Hair, Mermaid Genesis, Mermaid Clothes
    Angels = V4 Ivory character with Classic Rolled Hair, M4 Raphael character with Glyn Hair, both with V4 Creature Wings
    Safari Animals (African Elephant), Songbird Remix Parrots of the World (Blue-fronted Amazon free add-on)
    Hot Tub Pergola (deck), Dream Home Yard (furniture)
    DS Ascension, Easy Environments: Greenlands (skybox)

Ken-Wonders.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 328K
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    MelanieL said:

And so to pull number two:

1349 = Wine Me
    395 = Divinity Skies Prophecy
    1310 = Mermaid Tails Expansion Genesis
    564 = Angelic Dynamic Bundle for V4 and M4

Ah yes, that gives me an idea...

Ken OBanion Wonders...

Also Used:
    Ken = G2M (mix of morphs, Colin skin), Mitch Hair (freebie), Newport Outfit for G2M, SPEX for Genesis
    Mermaid = Genesis, Isla Character and Hair, Mermaid Genesis, Mermaid Clothes
    Angels = V4 Ivory character with Classic Rolled Hair, M4 Raphael character with Glyn Hair, both with V4 Creature Wings
    Safari Animals (African Elephant), Songbird Remix Parrots of the World (Blue-fronted Amazon free add-on)
    Hot Tub Pergola (deck), Dream Home Yard (furniture)
    DS Ascension, Easy Environments: Greenlands (skybox)

Bravissima, MelanieL, bravissima!

And..., oh, my God, it is me! (You got the hair -- what there is of it -- totally knocked!)

Well played!!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,129
    edited February 2014

@Totte - I like your DAZ_Kevin/DAZ_Jared one - neat idea! And your Jaderail one too - at first glance I thought I was looking at your Art Studio thread, apart from the lack of dwarfs.
    @Luci45 - thanks. I'm sure you really are young and pretty. And I just didn't have a "blue lady" texture to use!
    @Ken OBanion - love your latest - and what a lot of trouble with the net! (And I'm sorry I didn't make you young and pretty too - maybe next time?)

So, my third pull:
    65 = Eastern Dragon
    1725 = Brothers for Growing Up Genesis 2 Male(s) and M6
    505 = Mitsu Hair for Genesis
    657 = Easy Going Poses for Michael 5
    Hmm, this one doesn't really make me think of anyone in particular - may need a bit more time...
    ETA: Crossposted with you, Ken: thanks, I'm glad I didn't hurt your feelings!

Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:

@Ken OBanion - love your latest - and what a lot of trouble with the net! (And I'm sorry I didn't make you young and pretty too - maybe next time?)

Hey, not a problem. Because I am 'None of the above'. "The word of the day is..., 'verisimilitude'!"

ETA: Crossposted with you, Ken: thanks, I'm glad I didn't hurt your feelings!

Not at all! I'm flattered! (Because it was just so dead-on accurate!)

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,653
    edited March 2014

It has been a busy day! I will post this and then go look at everything.

One Winter Day in Totte's Life
    When a few rays of sun appeared one February day, the Bjornberg twins called Totte to tell him about it. He could hardly hear them with the loud Bruce Springsteen blasting in the background. Knowing he would emerge from his den for the first time that winter and would no doubt do something amusing, the twins rushed over and waited as the big gate slowly lowered and Totte danced out to Oppa Gangum Style. A fox was waiting outside and joined the dance (but they don't know what the fox said.)

Used
    Tweens for Justin and Julie
    Victorian Street Front
    Neon Glow Light Gels for DS
    Lost Avenue Terminal

Also used:
    Genesis Oppa Gangman Style (free pose by Totte on Rendo)
    Dystopian Console
    Chair from Colwar Lab
    Millennium Dog
    Ranger to Regal for Night Guard
    Wagner texture and morphs
    Daryl Hair
    Elements Hair
    PH Punk Hair
    L Jacket (Smay)
    Mean Streets Coat
    Streetwear Shoes and Jeans
    Teen Swag Jeans and Shirt
    Walkers
    Urbanwear Scarf
    Easy Environments Winter ground
    Some of Tottes renders on monitor screens

totte2.jpg
    1800 x 1200 - 674K
    Post edited by luci45 on
    edited February 2014

MelanieL said:

Ken OBanion Wonders...

Well done, and you nailed Ken (from his photos anyway)

Post edited by Totte on
    edited February 2014

Luci45 said:

When a few rays of sun appeared one February day, the Bjornberg twins called Totte to tell him about it. He could hardly hear them with the loud Bruce Springsteen blasting in the background. Knowing he would emerge from his den for the first time that winter and would no doubt do something amusing, the twins rushed over and waited as the big gate slowly lowered and Totte danced out to Oppa Gangum Style. A fox was waiting outside and joined the dance (but they don't know what the fox said.)

ROFL!! You really got what this is all about Luci, mocking renders ;-) Love it!!!

And damn you got that face nailed!

Edit: Btw, I had planned to have "Mr Floating pants" as a painting on the wall but I could not find it.

Post edited by Totte on
    edited February 2014

Totte said:
    MelanieL said:

Ken OBanion Wonders...

Well done, and you nailed Ken (from his photos anyway)

Oh, yeah, Totte! Spot-on! She even got my nose perfect!

(Actually, it's a little creepy, when you think about it! Maybe I ought to lock down my Facebook, after all...!)

Post edited by Ken OBanion on
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,653
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Luci45 said:

ROFL!! You really got what this is all about Luci, mocking renders ;-) Love it!!!

And damn you got that face nailed!

Edit: Btw, I had planned to have "Mr Floating pants" as a painting on the wall but I could not find it.

I'm glad you liked the render, Totte. It was fun. Here is link to Sir Mandrake Poofy-Pants: http://lucia45.deviantart.com/art/Sir-Mandrake-322992160

Three more people have volunteered to be targets. Why not add them to the list in the first post? MelanieL, Scott-Livingston and hawkonthewing.

Too late to lock down your Facebook photos, Ken. You will soon be a celebrity and have to wear a disguise. ;-P

edited December 1969

Thanks for the link and the names ;-)

edited December 1969

Pull #4

#3905 Supermasks for Genesis
    #3730 Snow Drift for Tertius (Rendo)
    #1931 Forest Scout (2nd time this round)
    #3450 Rubble

This time it's KenOBanions time, I can already see what to do ;)

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Pull #4

#3905 Supermasks for Genesis
    #3730 Snow Drift for Tertius (Rendo)
    #1931 Forest Scout (2nd time this round)
    #3450 Rubble

This time it's KenOBanions time, I can already see what to do ;)

I will be looking forward to what you come up with -- with an odd mix of anticipation and dread! :shut:

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited February 2014

Totte said:

Also used:
    Advanced Ambient Light + UberAreaLights + "DAZ_Kevin" + "Richard Haseltine"
    "DAZ_Kevin": Genesis 2 Male + Adult Cole + Parkcour Wear + Urban College Guy (Cap) + Short Beard for Genesis
    "Richard Haseltine" : Big Cat 2 + LAMH real fur for Big Cat 2
    HMG Oldtimer for World travels + Forest Summer for Forest + FM Greenlands (skybox) + [shader] Metalize + Dystopia Modular Command Center
    "DAZ_Jared": M6 + Dan + Gerry hair +Cargo Shots + M6Billboard Poses & Props
    "Customer" : M4 + RM Jared + Ceasar Hair + M4 UrbanWear

One day in DAZ_Jareds life
    It is a hectic time, flying around the world in a spaceship promoting the best and addictive but harmless drugs in the universe. DAZ_Jared, also known as number three, reports direcly to number one, DAZ_Kevin. DAZ_Kevin lives in his master villain complex, and usually communicates with his henchmen via video screen. DAZ_Kevin always has his favorite pet at is side, the trustful lion, Richard, also known as Richard Lionking. On this particular day DAZ_Jared was out in the more isolated parts of the world, we he spotted a user in the middle of nowhere who hadn't purchased any content for several hours. Just when he had set his plan in motion, he got a video call from number one.

DAZ_Kevin: - How are your plans proceeding number tree.
    DAZ_Jared: - Good, very good, but Number one, check your watch!
    DAZ_Kevin: - Why?
    DAZ_Jared: - Because it seems to have stopped at 12:00.
    DAZ_Kevin: - What time is it?
    DAZ_Jared: - It's time to run a sale!
    Richard: - Roooaaarr!

No wallets were hurt during the recording of this scene.

I don't know if I get a vote, but I vote for this one.

I promise I'm not being biased at all ;-)

Post edited by DZ_jared on
  • GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103
    edited December 1969

Wow! This thread has really taken off!!
    I ll give it a shot....
    And if you re running low on victims you can add me

Toonimal Goldfish
    Royal Carriages for Millenium Horse
    M4/V4 Creature Creator Bundle
    Songbird Remix: Birds of the World Bundle

edited December 1969

Welcome gopherus, and you've been added to the target list ;-)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118
    edited February 2014

Ken, I'm honored to be a subject in your great render! And saving a Carolina Parakeet seems like a worthy mission. Thanks for recalling that I am female. I do look more like your portrayal than my avatar (just not quite as young). ;-)
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 1969

So, on to Round Three!

My pull:
    1491 - Skyrider
    1045 - Lycan Hunter
    1893 - Teen Sportswear
    2208 - Fairytale Prince for M4 and H4

Hmm, can this get any weirder?

Now I gotta figure out who to 'nail'!

Short answer: Yep!

But I had to go full-tilt-boogie insane to get there! Then again, after seeing angels, mermaids, and a mauve (hey, at least it wasn't pink!; that would have worried me!) elephant, anything else would be downright prosaic!

Also used:
    M4 Elite: Stratton (Textures)
    M4 Elite: Jeremy (Head Morph)
    Mon Chevalier Hair
    Easy Environments: Greenlands (skybox only)
    Royal Stairs
    Riley character for Stephanie 5
    Udane Hair
    Laura
    Donna Hair (Laura fit)
    B-Young Bobbi (MAT and Morphs)
    Legelfin textures
    Laura Trainers

TAG: 0banion#03
    Title: Unannounced Visitors
    (A Day in the Life of MelanieL)

The day started like any other. MelanieL was putting the final touches on her outfit for an upcoming cosplay convention, when she heard the most god-awful racket coming from outside. She instantly got a mental picture of a cat being sucked into a vacuum cleaner -- a Dyson UltraSuck 9000 Magnum, from the sound of it. She ran out, behind the house, to see her neighbor, Laura, sitting in the strangest-looking contraption she had ever seen!

"What in the name of Magneto is that!?" she asked.

"It's my dad's latest invention," Laura replied. "It's a time machine."

To say that MelanieL was a bit skeptical of that pronouncement would be the understatement of the decade, ranking right up there with, 'Mistakes were made,' or, 'Houston, we have a problem'.

"Come on," Laura invited, "hop in. We can check out some Renaissance architecture, you know, before all those American tourists started swarming all over them and chipping away bits as souvenirs to take back to Omaha, or wherever they go back to when they're not annoying the rest of us!" She grinned playfully. "I know how much you love that stuff! And I found the perfect example for you!"

Very much against her better judgment, Melanie climbed into the odd vehicle. "Does your father know you're mucking about with his inventions?" she asked as she fastened the five-point harness that secured her in her seat. She thought she already knew the answer to that question even before she asked it, and was therefore not surprised to hear Laura's response.

"Silly question!" the girl said, playful laughter ringing in her voice. "Of course not! But that's the beauty of having a time machine: we can be back before we've even left! He'll never know!" She flipped a number of switches and dials. "I found this place on the Internet, that's so old it doesn't even exist anymore. But we can see it when it was new!"

"And what place would that be?"

"The Chateau Ste. Evremonde." Laura grasped the control yoke and said, "Hang on!"

The vehicle ripped through the space-time continuum like a hot knife through the high-priced spread. Within seconds, they were sitting on the elaborately-manicured grounds of an 18th-Century French estate. They climbed out of the vehicle, just as a man stepped out onto the balcony.

"Whoa, pre-Revolutionary French nobility!" Laura enthused. "I gotta get my camera!" She dived head-first back into the machine to retrieve her cell phone.

But Melanie's first meeting with the Marquis de Ste. Evermonde did not go as well as it might have....

"Hey, you!" an angry male voice said, in precisely-clipped French. "Would you mind getting your..., whatever the hell that thing is..., off my
    roses!?"

RRRR_DayInTheLife_03.png
    800 x 600 - 788K
    edited December 1969

Luci, I miss yours in the Entries Thread!!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118
    edited December 1969

I've been under the weather for a few days with that stuff that seems to be going around. My husband is finally almost over it, and now I'm getting it. I haven't been on the forums much the past few days, so I've fallen behind on RRRR again. Here is my first draw and some facts about me.

Yamaki GTX-R Textures 2 DS
    Discordia
    Alexios Hair
    West Park Committed

I will not yet disclose my target, but I have someone in mind.

I was born in Minnesota, raised in Iowa, and have lived most of my adult life on the east coast of Florida. I've been married (to the same man!) for 30-some years. My favorite pastimes involve my camera, my computer, my sewing machine, and my embroidery machine (not all at the same time). I love to go to the local zoo and photograph the animals. My avatar is based on my favorite bird at the zoo, Thor, the talking hyacinth macaw. My husband found DAZ on the internet in 2012 and told me I should try it. I was addicted after rendering my first scene, a simple Genesis female, dressed in the included free wardrobe items. Since then, seldom a day goes by that I don't render something. RRRR is my favorite DAZ-related activity. The people on the forums are wonderful to interact with.