Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Nice bike Dave, but given the weather, I think I'd want something a bit less elemental.

New email is

Long story short, Easy Space who had it before, charged for doing something which they failed to do, failed to notify me that they had failed to do, failed to notify me that it had been a year since they had failed to do the thing that meant that my email was going to evaporate and then failed to notify me when it happened and now won't admit that there is a problem. So I'll just have a new email address thanks.
    P53_Ice_cave_remix2.jpg
    500 x 650 - 212K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: Neat closeup. Only thing catches my eye is the lifelessness of the cheek. Almost seems like a piece of paper. Color on the lips is great looking. I say not ever have tried something like this.

Yes, I agree Guss... I only did it for the lips really and should have probably zoomed in even closer to just get them.
    I had redone the lip texture myself in Photoshop but I didn't do anything to the rest of the skintone and the extreme lighting has left it looking decidedly flat.

edited December 1969

Nice bike Dave, but given the weather, I think I'd want something a bit less elemental.

I've never really understood why anyone would want a trike anyway... It seems to me that a trike has all the disadvantages of a car and all the disadvantages of a bike, all rolled up into one vehicle. :-)
    edited December 1969

I've never really understood why anyone would want a trike anyway... It seems to me that a trike has all the disadvantages of a car and all the disadvantages of a bike, all rolled up into one vehicle. :-)

Good points, mostly trikes are owned by bikers that have experienced the main disadvantage of bikes, their invisibility to car users and all the inherent perils therein (speaking as someone with a metal plate in his foot thanks to a non-attentive car driver)!

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: Love the colors of that cave. What? You too have people who never admit when they've screwed up? It's easier to not admit fault than spend the money to get it fixed.

That is a nice looking cycle. Tricycle are only for those with a poor sense of balance. Or those who forget to put their legs down after they stop their motorcycles.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @David: Love the colors of that cave. What? You too have people who never admit when they've screwed up? It's easier to not admit fault than spend the money to get it fixed.

That is a nice looking cycle. Tricycle are only for those with a poor sense of balance. Or those who forget to put their legs down after they stop their motorcycles.

Or those who are registered disabled and refuse to give up their biker status, so get a specially modified Trike with all the controls on the handlebars.

My brother is this sort of Triker. and is press sec and the "senior" member of his chapter of the Renegades MC. Once he made then all laugh after one of the ops on his legs, he was told not to use his trike, so went to the Monthly meeting on his mobility scooter.

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

@ Dave,
    Any minute now that bike's gonna go "grrrrwrrm!" and that spider will shoot up 3 feet into the air and then fall flat on its back on the ground with a tiny whisp of smoke curling up into the heat hazed air, before disintegrating into a heap of ash.
    I like the purple and green sort of backbone design. Reminds me a little of Ghost Rider.

The lips look good, I might prefer a little more bump myself.

@GussNemo,

Love the colours you've used on those tori, the 2nd one especially reminds me of something like 'The Hall of the Mountain King' – that sort of feeling anyway. Large, reflective, cavernous halls on the approach to see the powerful one.

@David,
    Good cave, nice arrangement of stalactites, position of the opening draws you into the image.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, thanks to all who commented. It seems most people prefered the full berried BlooPea character, all except me and Guss Nemo. And we both had the same reason, clarity of facial features – easier to put across expressions when animating – if I ever get that far... But I'll keep thinking about it.

Susan in the Hall Of Eyes

In the meantime here's Susan Daisy, the Black-Eyed Pea, who dances everywhere and is a Mardigras kind of person.
    (Now this one IS female, lol!)

BlackEyedPea1.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 155K
    SusanDaisy.jpg
    614 x 769 - 79K
    BlooPeaDist5.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 286K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,120
    edited December 1969

@Dave - punk girl looks quite nice. I think you've got the lips quite good. Bike looks great, too. Weren't they called chopper in the 1970ies? There were quite a few around, though not that colour.

@David - stalactites look great and the cave has an opening and can be accessed with a dinghy. The coloured one looks rather nice.

@Fran - Susan looks nice.

edited December 1969

Your characters and room sets are looking great Fran.

I'm unsure about Bluepea though. I think it needs eyes that are the same size as the other two as they don't really show up as well because they are small and against the dark colour. Though I'm sure they'd look great with a straight on light, that would ruin your present lighting which is looking good and atmospheric.

Overall, I'm loving the individual style you've got going in your scenes. :)

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Bruce: I think the church is coming along nicely. In some areas the lighting seems a bit bright and in other areas a bit dark. Maybe we could use a little more indirect light and a little less brightness from the sun? Scaling is spot on, and the materials all look about right to me as well. Nice job as always.

Fran: Quite clever, this entire series of renders. I don't know why I get an impression of fruit of the loom. Maybe my brain wants to see the blue bubbles as grapes. I'm a sicko so its completely okay to ignore me. I like the environment you've created as well for these characters. Lots of smart choices being made on your part.

David Savage: I like the greener version better, but both are fantastic.

David Brinnen: Nice work on that landscape. Visually I dont really see any difference between your new method and the old nothing procedural method. It may be that the two approaches accomplish the exact same things. I want to test render times and see if there is any difference but I doubt there will be. Funnily, did you know that the soft shadows bug affects the nothing procedural method the same way it does the new method? I used to think it was broken shadows as well but I have found that is is perhaps worse. What seems to happen is that light rays are being fired instead of shadow rays. If you have the time, test your translucent material on a sphere. Light it with soft shadow sunlight and what you will find is that the part that should be in shadow isnt just not extra shaded , it is actually highlighted. It's almost as if there is another light source 180 degrees on the opposite side of the world matching the original light, applying light to both sides of the model instead of only one. A similar issue arises when you use IBL from inside, and apply soft shadows, even when there is no translucency. Somehow, light comes in from angles where it should not.

Horo: It';s both painterly and photograph like in the same instant. I love the sky and I love the overall sens of openness. I keep staring at the image, there's so much to see yet it doesnt seem complicated.

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited February 2014

Bruce: I think the church is coming along nicely. In some areas the lighting seems a bit bright and in other areas a bit dark. Maybe we could use a little more indirect light and a little less brightness from the sun? Scaling is spot on, and the materials all look about right to me as well. Nice job as always.

Hi Rashad: Thanks for the kind comments but the church model sort of bit the dust tonight. Ran into some major issues trying to group some parts and create some Booleans along the way. (Certain grouped items could not be selected, ran into some texture issues, etc.)

So I got a little ticked off and saved various parts that had come out good as individual OBP presets. Now I have to start over and think I have learned a few tricks from this mess in the process, so all is not lost yet.

Has not been a great day for me - hopefully things go better this weekend. Had to deal with my graphics card doing weird things again, My DAZ Studio is really driving me nuts so I am hoping I don't have to do a complete reinstall ( Over 32 gigs of content ) and to top it off, the wife and I have been dealing with our sewer system backing up in basement for last week... Lots of fun,, But city finally came and ran a machine down the line (We have tree root problems that mess up our outgoing line from the basement from time to time) So How Was Your Day? ;-) LOL

Have a great and safe weekend buddy!

Bruce

Post edited by Goshtac on
    edited December 1969

@ Fran;

Hi Fran - love the latest addition to your growing family of figures there. Susan is quite charming.. (Party girl I see (Mardigras) ) LOL

As always, nice imagination in your creations!!

Bruce

• SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Hi Guys it has been some time since i visited ............. sorry been ding other things, but I am back a belated Happy New year to every one

Emotional_Rescue.jpg
    1268 x 1341 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Rendered in Bryce

No_Quarter.jpg
    1728 x 1152 - 931K
    edited December 1969

a bit of techno coloured veggies in Bryce

Metallic_Cucurbitaceae_res.jpg
    1000 x 938 - 598K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Dave - punk girl looks quite nice. I think you've got the lips quite good. Bike looks great, too. Weren't they called chopper in the 1970ies? There were quite a few around, though not that colour.

@David - stalactites look great and the cave has an opening and can be accessed with a dinghy. The coloured one looks rather nice.

Hi Horro I posted some images for this forum but they did not appear, its been so long I think I must have missed some thing in translation .......... silly me ............. is there some way of putting them in here other them reposting them, if not no worries ..... Sylverdali
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

Hi Horro I posted some images for this forum but they did not appear, its been so long I think I must have missed some thing in translation .......... silly me ............. is there some way of putting them in here other them reposting them, if not no worries ..... Sylverdali sorry I meant to tell you they on the front forum page
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2014

No, it's a question of try again I am afraid. Browse to image location and attach it, preview post and then attach the next one, and so forth.

Edited, OK I see what you did,

hang on

.Is that better?

You will need to go back a page.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

no worries thanks

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    No, it's a question of try again I am afraid. Browse to image location and attach it, preview post and then attach the next one, and so forth.

hang on

.Is that better?

thanks for that
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

hang on

.Is that better?

thanks for that chohole I can see them know
    edited December 1969

Silverdali... I have missed seeing your imaginative and very well composed and textured images.

GREAT to see you back and once again you have not disappointed with your renders... All great. :)

edited February 2014

@silverdali - good to see you back. I've noticed your artwork in the gallery already, they do stand out. Strong image, the standing man with the skeleton missing what is needed to animate it. Sword maiden is great, too, as are the techno fruits. Beautiful colours. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you to come.

EDIT - I meant to upload another landscape but I was so delighted to see silverdali back that I forgot. The copse is made of 8 trees, another 8 make up the plants.

Copse.jpg
    800 x 457 - 139K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

David Brinnen: Nice work on that landscape. Visually I dont really see any difference between your new method and the old nothing procedural method. It may be that the two approaches accomplish the exact same things. I want to test render times and see if there is any difference but I doubt there will be. Funnily, did you know that the soft shadows bug affects the nothing procedural method the same way it does the new method? I used to think it was broken shadows as well but I have found that is is perhaps worse. What seems to happen is that light rays are being fired instead of shadow rays. If you have the time, test your translucent material on a sphere. Light it with soft shadow sunlight and what you will find is that the part that should be in shadow isnt just not extra shaded , it is actually highlighted. It's almost as if there is another light source 180 degrees on the opposite side of the world matching the original light, applying light to both sides of the model instead of only one. A similar issue arises when you use IBL from inside, and apply soft shadows, even when there is no translucency. Somehow, light comes in from angles where it should not.

The difference is subtle, the issue I had with refraction at 133 and alpha nothing to remove the Fresnel reflection component was that the leaves seems to have a slight gem like quality (presumably because of the focusing effect of the 133 refraction) which was something I wanted to avoid. The advantage of 133 was that it cut down the light transmission so the leaves looked to be naturally scattering/absorbing. This is not an easy effect to achieve without that control and to do this has its own inherent issues. The results though are as you have observed comparable which is gratifying since my first attempts were unsatisfactory to the point where I was beginning to wonder if it would be possible to find an alternative approach.

What happens with Regular rendering is that soft shadow lights sources shadows are no longer received by transparent materials. This creates some rather strange effects.

Thanks for the feedback Rashad!

edited February 2014

@Silverdali: I see another person who has been away from the Bryce forums for a while. Welcome back and I really enjoyed seeing your new renders posted. Nice work!

@Horo: As always you manage to pull a rabbit out of your hat at short notice my friend. Really enjoying this latest render from you. ( I myself frequently run into issues when dealing with trees, but you make it look easy. Beautiful job!

@David: Like Horo, your renders never cease to amaze me. Beautiful work on the cave creation. Makes me want to grab my hardhat and go do a little spelunking.

Have a great and safe weekend my friends!

Bruce

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @silverdali - good to see you back. I've noticed your artwork in the gallery already, they do stand out. Strong image, the standing man with the skeleton missing what is needed to animate it. Sword maiden is great, too, as are the techno fruits. Beautiful colours. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you to come.

EDIT - I meant to upload another landscape but I was so delighted to see silverdali back that I forgot. The copse is made of 8 trees, another 8 make up the plants.

thank you Horo your beautiful garden so full and fresh plants so cool and clamming the lighting as always is superb
    edited December 1969

Thank you Bruce and silverdali.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited February 2014

@silverdali: Like others, have missed your work. Your recent images are beautiful. Love your take on the veggies.

@Horo: That scene makes me want to visit for a few restful hours. Nicely done.

@fran: Thank you. Your latest character looks real good.

Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited February 2014

Good Morning folks:

Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far. This latest render was an experiment using a new technique we discussed for matching up terrain with ground maps for roads, etc. at forum thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/37087/

I ran into a few minor glitches along the way, but so far I am happy the way this technique is working out and a special thanks to Horo who told me how to fix some stepping issues with the terrain.

Now, this was mostly just a test, but I took the one terrain I created using this technique and then duplicated it several times so I could match up the terrain edges as best I could to give an infinity look to the scene. Also had some minor touch up where a slight goof in my original terrain was popping up in a few areas, so I used PSP to cover a few odd glitches that showed up on the road sides. But I only fixed those in the close up terrains so a few show in the distance. In looking at the final render, I can see a few tiny issues I need to address with future use of this technique. The center lines in the road seem a bit oversized and I also need to scale down the texture in the grass a bit. (Adding a driver to the truck would have helped as well)

In order to have this scene more than terrains, I added the models of the truck, stop sign and mailbox to put a little detail into the image.

I call this render : "Roads to Nowhere"

Comments, suggestions always welcome.

Bruce

Roads_to_Nowhere.jpg
    1565 x 1043 - 467K
    edited December 1969

@Bruce - make the centre road wider and you have a runway and taxyways :)

Note that terrains do not exactly tile because there is a small frame on top and right (but not on the bottom and left) if you go to overhead view and zoom fully in. The bad news is that the width if this frame changes a bit with the terrain resolution; for the default size it is 0.16 BU. The easiest way to fix this is selecting all tiles without grouping and enlarge them all a tiny bit in one go.

This discussion has been closed.