Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Sounds right. Yeah, Carrara 7 didn't play nicely with any of the Cat-named Macs I guess. I'm a Windows user.
    When they're talking about upgrade pricing, though... they don't care where you bought it from though - I don't think. So if you contact customer support, they might be able to even knock some more off... not sure. But the 171 you've figured is definitely one of the prices many of us have paid for it.

Wrong. I use Carrara on a cat named OS X version.

Carrara didn't play well with the more modern OS X versions when the font library was changed, but there was a fix. Since then Apple has jettisoned much of the code that allowed for backward compatibility, but it needed to be done to enhance performance, increase stability and reduce bloat. Plus the PPC is a dead processor and much if not all of that code was jettisoned as well. DAZ's fault was that they didn't pay enough attention to Apple's roadmap for the OS or its developers toobox. They had been warning for sometime that Carbon (I think) was coming to an end, that PPC support was coming to an end, etc. Yet DAZ either ignored the signs, didn't pay attention or was just plain cheap about it and released C8.0 with very little done to it for future Mac compatibility. Couple that with the incredibly long development cycle for C8.5 and Apple's OS kept moving forward, which led to even greater problems.

Except for the font library issue, which I seem to recall caught quite a few devs by surprise, the main fault kind of lies with DAZ from my perspective. Excluding the QT issue. That's on Apple- sort of.

• Mr TedMr Ted Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

Do you happen to recall what that fix was?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

Sorry. I didn't make that up - but likely translated the info incorrectly as I have no clue about Mac versions and how they work, as well as how Carrara works with them. Somebody answered another using "Cat" versions in their explanation. Sorry for the misconception.
    edited December 1969

Sorry. I didn't make that up - but likely translated the info incorrectly as I have no clue about Mac versions and how they work, as well as how Carrara works with them. Somebody answered another using "Cat" versions in their explanation. Sorry for the misconception.

Quite alright. I use one of the big cat code names, but I forget which one. I'll remember in the middle of the night. ;-) Anyway, C7.2 Pro has been nearly rock solid. I get the occasional Zombie mode when I transition too fast between the assembly room and the texture room, but that's about it for hang-ups.

I can even use a C7.2 render node on the Intel iMac with Mountain Lion, and I didn't have to do the font thingy.

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited December 1969

Any word on whether there is any intention to have the new HD morphs work in Carrara?

• FranRFranR Posts: 33
    edited January 2014

My my, am I glad they extended the 50% offer off ... with upgrade and pc discount I paid $85,50. Way to go Daz and I guess best timing ever in becoming a PC member again :D

Now ... let's see what Carrera can do!

(wait, what? new member? wth? >.<)</p>

Post edited by FranR on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

FranR said:

(wait, what? new member? wth? >.<)</div>

Looks like you didn't post since the "new" forums were implemented last year ...
    25 messages and you aren't a new member anymore ...

• FranRFranR Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

Yeah, it's been a while for sure. Ah well, clean slate - should be good :) Now I can mess things up all over again.

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

So... with my coupon for winning the Render challenge, it finally made C8.5 the right price for me ! ( with other assorted discounts)

I got it installed ok,but could not quite figure out the Content download, I downloaded the 8.5 native content but the file seemed to so tiny and I think it was mainly empty.so that is confusing.
    Am I right in thinking it is more or less the same as the C8 content? What I did was just to copy the content from 8 to 8.5 .Is that an ok thing to do. I have got 8.5 looking like 8 did so I am happy. Just wondering If I am missing any new shaders or anything.

In my downloads the C8 Nat.Content seem s to be over 100 mb but the C8.5 was only measuring a tiny file size ( 1.8mb) I suspect something is amiss.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

So... with my coupon for winning the Render challenge, it finally made C8.5 the right price for me ! ( with other assorted discounts)

I got it installed ok,but could not quite figure out the Content download, I downloaded the 8.5 native content but the file seemed to so tiny and I think it was mainly empty.so that is confusing.
    Am I right in thinking it is more or less the same as the C8 content? What I did was just to copy the content from 8 to 8.5 .Is that an ok thing to do. I have got 8.5 looking like 8 did so I am happy. Just wondering If I am missing any new shaders or anything.

In my downloads the C8 Nat.Content seem s to be over 100 mb but the C8.5 was only measuring a tiny file size ( 1.8mb) I suspect something is amiss.

thats what I did - copy over from 8 to 8.5

edited December 1969

Bigh ,did you do that because it was just easier than trying to figure out what was wrong. Or because maybe you had customised stuff ?
    It took me ages to figure out where "My Objects" folder was( My Documents) ... I have just to get a couple of plugins back in then I think I am ready for action!

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Stu,
    I'm pretty sure that the previous Carrara 8 Native Content has not changed, but not 100% sure. So copying it from your previous installation is probably fine.
    However, a fresh copy should be available to download from your DAZ "Product Library". But to confuse the issue, DAZ has seen fit to create three different "Native Content" files to download and install:
    Carrara 8 Native Content. (This is the main content file.)
    Carrara 8.5 Native Content. (This is a supplementary content file.)
    Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Content. (This is a supplementary content file for those who purchased Carrara Pro.)

Depending on if you are using the Windows or Macintosh version of Carrara, the content files get installed into different locations. If you use the DAZ Installation Manager (DIM) to install the native content files, suposededly all three of them will be properly appended to the correct directory. However, the Macintosh version of the DIM did not do it correctly when it was first released.

A DAZ rep has since posted that the updated DIM for Mac has corrected that problem. However I can't confirm if that is true, since I manually installed all of the content when I saw that the DIM was not doing it correctly.

It sounds like you have figured out where to install the native content, but were justifiably puzzled as to why there was more than one choice.

Hope this helps.
    -Dean

edited December 1969

Thanks Dean ,that helps a lot. I reckon I was just trying to install that supplementry file you mentioned because it said 8.5, and the others said 8 so I thought I was getting something new. it was very small,and I think it had a couple of folders in it. I seem to have all the stuff I used to have so I am happy enough. I will take another look tomorrow.
    I tend to install everything manually because that download manager I cannot get to work . Something about the wrong path....I'm always going down the wrong path.....Guess I am just a dummy.
    thanks again. stu

• Mr TedMr Ted Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:
    Mr Ted said:
    Do you happen to recall what that fix was?

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/carrara/carrara7_snowleopard

Sorry I haven't responded to this till now, saw it a few days ago but you know how it is working late and all that. But I can't find the file that starts with User, let alone preferences or anything of the sort.

Used to be so easy, but since I got the new MBP already running 10.8.?, now running 10.8.5, nothing is in the spot I used to be able to find it! I couldn't even copy and paste the path in the link into spotlight to try to find it that way.:red:

Got any more advice?

Thanks!

Ted

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,505
    edited December 1969

@Mr Ted:
    In 10.7+, ~/Library is hidden from the users. The simple way to show it is using the Terminal and tell finder not to hide it. In 10.9 you can unhide it from the Finder.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Hope this helps.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited January 2014

Mr Ted said:

Sorry I haven't responded to this till now, saw it a few days ago but you know how it is working late and all that. But I can't find the file that starts with User, let alone preferences or anything of the sort.

Used to be so easy, but since I got the new MBP already running 10.8.?, now running 10.8.5, nothing is in the spot I used to be able to find it! I couldn't even copy and paste the path in the link into spotlight to try to find it that way.:red:

Got any more advice?

Thanks!

Ted

Yes in 10.7 10.8 they hid the user library directory. There is a simple way to show it all the time without changing the directory attributes but I can't find it. We did it on my wifes. But here is a quick and easy way. HOld down option (alt if using a non-apple keyboard) while you go to the GO menu in finder, it will show additional folders. You can select Library from there. Once that folder is open then you can go into preferences:DAZ 3D:Carrara etc. I believe thats what you would do. I don't have Carrara currently installed on the Mac here to test if this is the exact place.

Also what Addict said :)

Post edited by Milo on
  • tscott_f9a8e65d7ctscott_f9a8e65d7c Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

How long is the 48% special price going to be good for? I'm really interested in getting this, but the timing is not the best. However, I don't want to wait and then find out the price doubled on me.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

FYI: Folks have been asking that question since they've announced "Extended", and there has been no official reply since - and that was a long time ago. Sorry about that, but I didn't want to leave you hanging.

• tscott_f9a8e65d7ctscott_f9a8e65d7c Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

FYI: Folks have been asking that question since they've announced "Extended", and there has been no official reply since - and that was a long time ago. Sorry about that, but I didn't want to leave you hanging.

Thanks. Hope it lasts long enough for me to snag it.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited February 2014

tomjscott said:
    How long is the 48% special price going to be good for? I'm really interested in getting this, but the timing is not the best. However, I don't want to wait and then find out the price doubled on me.

If you decide to purchase Carrara 8.5 Pro, join the Platinum Club for $24 (for three months) FIRST.
    Once you're a PC Member log out then log back into the store. You'll see the DAZ Originals discount:

1. DAZ Originals discount (Currently 40% normally 30%) stacks with the 48% discount resulting in a 69% discount = $171.00
    2. Current promotion $10 off $50 will give you an additional $10 off = $161.00

That's a savings of $114 if you make the purchase as a PC Member ($285-$10 vs $171-$10) or $90 if you factor in the PC Membership cost.

Edit: Just tested, if you add 2 of the "Love to Learn" product releases, you'll get another $10 off of Carrara 8.5 Pro.
    Edit Edit: Corrected references to Carrara 5 Pro to Carrara 8.5 Pro

Post edited by Lindsey on
    edited December 1969

Lindsey said:
    tomjscott said:

If you decide to purchase Carrara 5 Pro, join the Platinum Club for $24 (for three months) FIRST.
    Once you're a PC Member log out then log back into the store. You'll see the DAZ Originals discount:

1. DAZ Originals discount (Currently 40% normally 30%) stacks with the 48% discount resulting in a 69% discount = $171.00

That's a savings of $114 if you make the purchase as a PC Member ($285-$10 vs $171-$10) or $90 if you factor in the PC Membership cost.

Edit: Just tested, if you add 2 of the "Love to Learn" product releases, you'll get another $10 off of Carrara 5 Pro.

I'm pretty sure you mean Carrara 8.5 Pro. ;-)

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited December 1969

Lindsey said:
    tomjscott said:

If you decide to purchase Carrara 5 Pro, join the Platinum Club for $24 (for three months) FIRST.

Edit: Just tested, if you add 2 of the "Love to Learn" product releases, you'll get another $10 off of Carrara 5 Pro.

I'm pretty sure you mean Carrara 8.5 Pro. ;-)

Opps.. ! Let me go fix that. Thanks for the heads up on that boo boo.

• lisa_2189459lisa_2189459 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the sale update, I've been watching Carrara for a little while now and am going to jump on this sale.

If I subscribe to the Platinum Club and then purchase Carrara, can anyone recommend any other goodies that would be beneficial for starting off. I have previous 3D experience with Ray Dream, Bryce, Poser but that goes back about 10 years so I'll need to refresh those skills and could use any recommendations for learning materials as well as any other tools to help speed things up.

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    edited February 2014

lisa said:

If I subscribe to the Platinum Club and then purchase Carrara, can anyone recommend any other goodies that would be beneficial for starting off.

In my humble opinion, if you are getting Carrara this is a must have:

Carrara 8.5 Tutorial Video - Instant Digital Download

And when you mastered that, you can move on to:

Advanced Carrara Techniques

To start you can always browse this forum, especially Dartanbeck's Miscellaneous Tips & Tricks for Carrara thread. There are plenty of other threads like it on the forum.

Post edited by nDelphi on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    lisa said:

If I subscribe to the Platinum Club and then purchase Carrara, can anyone recommend any other goodies that would be beneficial for starting off.

In my humble opinion, if you are getting Carrara this is a must have:

Carrara 8.5 Tutorial Video - Instant Digital Download

And when you mastered that, you can move on to:

Advanced Carrara Techniques

I'll second that - these tutorials are great!

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

Good ol' Daz
    Manual Sold Separately..

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited December 1969

Madbat said:
    Good ol' Daz
    Manual Sold Separately..

Well it actually does have a manual, but it was last updated in 2008, so...

• lisa_2189459lisa_2189459 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Is the $10 off $50 still working?

I just subscribed to the club and then logged back in to purchase Carrara but don't see the $10 off $50 discount?

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,303
    edited December 1969

For what it is worth, I am this moment installing Carrara 8.5 Pro that I just bought for $89.95. I am a Platinum Member and had Carrara 6 Pro via the DAZ Economic Stimulus Bundle of a few years back. Because C6 Pro wasn't listed as it's own thing (it was an element under the main header of 'DAZ Economic Stimulus Bundle') I had to contact Support to get the discount. Britney had me buy a gift card for $89.95 and then she converted it to the purchase of C8.5 Pro. I had to wait about two days, but it was SO WORTH IT! And with the money I saved I was only too happy to reinvest it in Howie Farke's Stoney Creek Bundle and some other things. I imagine before the end of March I will own one of everything Howie makes and then some!

Yayyy DAZ! Thanks for working WITH me to get a great bargain!