JULY New Users Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thank you all i dont want to over do it and miss out

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thank you all i dont want to over do it and miss out
    You still have time for edits, we have close to two weeks left. No need to hurry or worry.
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited July 2012

Well, the position of having your character on the ground vs the reference character up on the wing (with different camera angles) does mean that not everything from the reference pose will translate to your pose. How the judges are judging it, I'm not sure what leeway they give for that, depends on what aspect of posing they are putting emphasis on. The main thing I see is that the reference pose character is looking into the camera (but softly, eyes not fully wide open) and yours is looking off to the right. Both are fine but they send different messages. One is somewhat sultry, the other whimsical.

I see you got her smiling in this last picture also, which is good. If you decide to change her gaze and go for the sultry look, you might want to make her smile just a little more if you can do it and have it still look natural, and possibly close her eyelids just slightly. All of this will vary a bit from the original pose since the camera angle is much more direct rather than from below, and the fact that she has a horizontal surface of the top of the tank she's posing against vs the vertical one of the plane fuselage.

On the other hand, if you like the whimsical look she currently has, I wouldn't change her smile or eyes because for that look they both match well I think (but check with the judges on this.)

Last thing, if this doesn't make sense.. ignore it, it's not you it's me... I'm babbling then at that point ;p

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited July 2012

If any one doing judging could say, how much are we looking to physically match the pose as much as possible vs use the pose to try to capture the feel of the image? I was looking through back posts and it appears we are trying in this contest to try and match the pose itself?

I apologize if someone already explained it, I miss things sometimes :/

If the point is to physically match the pose, using a prop with different angles might make matching the pose more difficult actually. And, we probably want to try and match the camera angle.

Again, I apologize, some of my last ruminations might have wandered off track of what the goal of the competition actually is.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    If any one doing judging could say, how much are we looking to physically match the pose as much as possible vs use the pose to try to capture the feel of the image? I was looking through back posts and it appears we are trying in this contest to try and match the pose itself?

If the point is to physically match the pose, using a prop with different angles might make matching the pose more difficult actually. And, we probably want to try and match the camera angle.

Again, I apologize, some of my last ruminations might have wandered off track of what the goal of the competition actually is.

Yes, I was wondering about this myself. My understanding is that the goal is to match the reference pose, but I'm not sure if deviations from the reference pose are acceptable as long as these deviations result in an aesthetically pleasing and realistic pose. I'm also wondering about the criteria for judging the submitted renders: I'd imagine that the main factor is the pose, but to what extent do other factors matter--like lighting, composition, surface settings, etc.?
    edited December 1969

Almost done...anyone have any final comments or suggestions? I did use (and modified) a preset pose for one of the four figures--the one immediately to the left of the central character; I think this is okay but wanted to check to be sure before I submit it. I can certainly redo it if the rule prohibits any preset poses in the scene.

highking3c.png
    618 x 800 - 479K
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just the initial set up so far. One tool in DS's kit that comes in handy when creating natural looking poses is the "Active Pose Tool". Comes in handy when posing feet & hands.

tool.jpg
    704 x 222 - 42K
    golfer.jpg
    480 x 640 - 93K
    golfer_1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 240K
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I forgot about that tool, and don't remember what it even does. I'll have to look that up :)

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Thanks, I forgot about that tool, and don't remember what it even does. I'll have to look that up :)

It lets you move bones around & the movement will follow up the chain back to the hip. for example if you click & hold on the left hand and move it downward; it will pull the arm; shoulder & torso with it.

If you just want to position the arm using the hand; you can 'pin' the collar by clicking on the collar & pressing the space bar. This will lock the collar in place and only allow the arm bones to be moved.

edited December 1969

ohhh, it's another way to pin. It definitely sounds more efficient then the way I do it, which is to right click on the specific area and select pin. Does this pin rotation and translation in a single go?

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 172
    edited December 1969

Heres one I am working on at the moment.

pose03.jpg
    711 x 800 - 140K
    halle_berry.jpg
    340 x 420 - 17K
    edited July 2012

Very nice! :)

The only thing I see is she has a bit of a snarl in the reference image and her head is tilted down slightly. These two items give a bit more of a 'cat like' appearance. Oh, and in the reference pose, her back is slightly straighter and upper arms are more horizontal. Finally, you might want to play with the muscle definition.

The base pose looks great though :)

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,357
    edited December 1969

Agree with Gedd on this one. Try getting the right leg spread a little more to give you room to get the upper body in between the legs like in the photo. It looks like the upper body should be resting on the inside of the right leg and your is almost sitting on top of the leg. Other than that I think the pose looks great. You just need a few tweaks is all.

edited December 1969

Thanks Gedd & Frank. She is a very supple person, didn't think I would have to turn the limits off, but with limits on I couldn't get close to the pose.

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    ohhh, it's another way to pin. It definitely sounds more efficient then the way I do it, which is to right click on the specific area and select pin. Does this pin rotation and translation in a single go?
    no, it's not another way to pin. It's a posing tool, but instead of moving just one bone; it moves all the bones preceding the one you selected back to the hip as well.
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Scott-Livington you’re pose looks really good.

Version3 Gedd has right about the snarl on her face.
    A bit snarl/aggressive in her face, then the whole pose becomes more aggressive like the example.
    Now it looks much too friendly in my eyes
    The head a little bit look down and the eyes look up to a person in front of her
    For the rest it looks very good and I like these pose. :)

edited December 1969

Yes, it's a challenging pose, I just did it and it was a bit of work. I had to turn limits off also, fairly early I might add.

edited July 2012

wrong thread ;)

edited December 1969

Wow.. Yet another great Brust of work coming in all at once. I see some great renders and great tips so I'll just enjoy and look around more. I've got nothing better to add.

edited July 2012

version3 said:
    ... she is a very supple person..
    Yes, I had no idea until I tried this pose. In the end I made a cube and plane sphere to mimic the wall/ledge but set 100% reflection to fine tweak it. It helped me work out where there would be collisions on the vertical plane (the wall) while keeping proper contact at the feet. It was both tight and challenging, but a lot of fun.

You also could have a lot of fun with this pose after the contest. I was looking at the smile on her the way she is now, and a little upturn in the corner of the mouth, and her tongue out licking her upper lip corner... could be an interesting variation :)
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:

Yes, I was wondering about this myself. My understanding is that the goal is to match the reference pose, but I'm not sure if deviations from the reference pose are acceptable as long as these deviations result in an aesthetically pleasing and realistic pose. I'm also wondering about the criteria for judging the submitted renders: I'd imagine that the main factor is the pose, but to what extent do other factors matter--like lighting, composition, surface settings, etc.?

Matching the reference pose is the general focus but as with all these contests the overall artwork is what is being judged :) The overall composition. We will not be taking out magnifying glasses and looking to be sure you posed everything identical to the image. You are all artistic people and artists almost always put their own personal spin on what they create rather then copying something else verbatim. So to answer, artistic interpretation is allowed :) The point was to show that posing can be fun and easier then some would possibly expect it to be, how to use reference to help fine tune the realism of a pose and how to also use them for inspiration. We asked for you all to post the references as we didn't want to run the risk of someone just taking a premade pose they had bought...we wanted everyone to actually do them themselves. Making the reference a necessity helps ensure that :) Hope that better explains :)

edited December 1969

Good luck dune, I hope you've had fun doing it :)

edited December 1969

Thank you very much for taking the time for that clarification :)

edited December 1969

Here's an updated version of my WIP. Started form the base pose again and used Chohole's tip about trying to put your body into those positions. Result - I only turned off limits to pose the right foot, Thanks Chohole.

julyNU02.jpg
    720 x 800 - 189K
    halle_berry.jpg
    340 x 420 - 17K
    edited December 1969

Very nice :)

I think this is the best picture I've seen of the supersuit.

edited December 1969

Love this one. Very nice pose and render. Darn good work Version3.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Have to agree, that is really good.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

yep agree to, very good pose.
    Good work.

edited December 1969

Thank you Gedd, Jaderail, Chohole and Sasje. I all embarrassed now, not used to so many compliments in one hit. :red: ;-)

edited December 1969

Wow, that's beautiful! Great job with the pose, and everything else!