JULY New Users Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well well, lets see if I can get caught up a little...
    evilproducer your Monroe on the grate looks very good to me but your Wet Monroe looks much better and closer to the referance image.
    AydenShade you picked a very complicated pose and have done very good at it. I hope to see more from you in the contest.
    Scott-Livingston I think you have done a wonderful render to go with a great pose. The action is so easy to see, very nice.
    dune411412 thats one close first shot, just remember those old pin ups exagerate things. I think just some tweeks will finish it.
    TheSavage64 thats one NICE Betty Page, I'm with others on the expression, just a wee bit off. Still a good example of posing though.
    squirrelvids That is a very good job, I find it to be a near perfect match. We all know that near perfect is the best we can do with our dolls sometimes.

All that said, I was hoping the guy's would strear clean of pin-up poses and do more action stuff but...

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Hmm, my image no mention... must really need work ;p

edited December 1969

Did I skip you Gedd? I'm so sorry I only went a few pages back. Ahh that one, I like your version very much. Adding the muscle difinition really sells it.

edited July 2012

Thank you, I did take some artistic liberties. I was going for a bit of an updated pinup concept (kind of aerobic instructor does pinup,) thus the slight variation in the hands and added muscle tone. Both hands I varied slightly for artistic purposes to match the model and mood I wanted to achieve.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

I've added a new one to my DA stuff if your a member over there. You can check my Art Thread for a quick link if you like.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I've added a new one to my DA stuff if your a member over there. You can check my Art Thread for a quick link if you like.

Missing somthing, added, Member over where, link to art thread? (I really am a bit of a newbie here)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

....All that said, I was hoping the guy's would strear clean of pin-up poses and do more action stuff but...

Funny you should mention that. I've been setting something up that is decidedly not human as an example.

edited December 1969

Btw evil, I missed your second mm post somehow, noticed it after Jadrail mentioned something about it. It's really nice, good job :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I think my second one is better as well. I had to make a lot compromises for the dress to fit in the first one.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    All that said, I was hoping the guy's would strear clean of pin-up poses and do more action stuff but...

OK, it's not "action" and sorry if this is too far off topic, but here's one I did last year for a UFO type forum I sometimes post on*:

* Just to make clear, this isn't proposed as an entry. :)
    Alien-Scream.jpg
    450 x 637 - 76K
    The_Scream_Munch.jpg
    400 x 600 - 64K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Oh I like that The Savage.

• AydenShadeAydenShade Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

now working on 2nd entry

wip.jpg
    574 x 585 - 67K
    noel.png
    1366 x 768 - 1M
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited July 2012

now working on 2nd entry

This is very nice, a few small things that I see.
    The angle of the body a little bit to this / not much just a little bit
    His left upper leg twist a little bit to the left, not too much just a little
    His right leg little bit to the right side a little bit not too much just a little.
    Thats all what I see.
    Post edited by Sasje on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,839
    edited December 1969

squirrelvids: If you see this, please check your PMs for a message from me :)

• gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

im hoping this one is better

walk4.jpg
    800 x 800 - 215K
    edited July 2012

I think it looks very good dune :)

I think you've caught the energy and feel of the pose very nicely.

edited December 1969

The Pose looks very good. Have you tried lighting yet? The June WIP thread is full of good lighting tips. Just a FYI.

• AydenShadeAydenShade Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

ok did the small tweaks requested

wip2.jpg
    574 x 585 - 74K
    noel.png
    1366 x 768 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Okay, better but not there. Tilt the hips so the whole body has more of a down angle with the head more down. The chest should be lower and the legs more up. Then look at the neck, you can see the head/neck is bent forward. I think you are missing just that little bit. And maybe the left arm should be straighter.

edited July 2012

Ok, decided to try an action pose.. and of course the one I chose seems to have disproportionate limbs again. The back arm wouldn't reach the ground when I had the hips pointed down as in the reference image so I ended up rotating them up as it most likely would be irl. Also, had to turn limits off for lower leg to get more bend in, but this is in keeping with someone who is more flexible and would be able to tuck their leg up more, with soft flesh compression taken into account.

I did make a change to the right hand (in back) so that it acts as a point of balance (for a low spin mid air) rather than as a support pivot as the reference picture seems to indicate. In doing this pose, I don't believe the back hand could work as a support pivot over a flat space for lack of space. It could, if the hand was on a surface behind the character, with extra space below.

This is my go at it. If anyone else wants to have a go at this, would be interesting to see the results

Contest_02.jpg
    500 x 463 - 19K
    Gray_Action_pose.jpg
    591 x 397 - 34K
    edited December 1969

OK action / self-defence

It’s a jiu-jitsu pose form a book
    I give it a little bit one twist :)

selfd.jpg
    800 x 600 - 75K
    jiu-jitsu_sas_001_verkl.jpg
    209 x 300 - 62K
    edited December 1969

ok did the small tweaks requested

You are coming closer, only a few fixes just the things what Jaderail says
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I can't kkep up with you all, arrrrrrrr the pace.... where's be that zimmer frame.

What with Gedd, Jaderail and Sasje I can't get a word in edge ways and to be honest you are doing such a great job I would just get in the way. It really is nice seeing and reading all this. I am also learning new things from it.

TheSavage64 Great mock of the Scream there, funny too funny.

AydenShade You really are coming on in leaps here, great to see.

squirrelvids Got some stunning poses there amoung the pages.

edited July 2012

Szark said:
    squirrelvids Got some stunning poses there amoung the pages.

Yes squirrel I really like your pose just the way it was. I think all of the feedback people (me and others) were giving you was for variations between yours and the reference, not because yours was wrong.

Especially in the case of your pose artistically it looked good without any changes imo.

Sometimes when we are giving feedback I think we (I) forget to mention small but important details like that.
    edited July 2012

Sasje, that looks great! :)

The right hand on the left person (and left on the right person) is twisted from the reference but is actually 100% correct. Your hand pose comes just before the person on the left puts a twist on the hand and goes into the hand pose in the reference. Besides getting the position and balance spot on, you've also got great expressions on both characters (better then the reference image) which really makes it top notch.

I'm guessing you've done some martial arts?

edited July 2012

One of the great things about Sasje's pose is I find myself thinking of all the different directions this could go. (The guy on the right could do a hook and sweep, the guy on the left... you get the idea.) It engages us to the point we forget we are looking at an image and we take it in actively. This is great, something to strive for in our images.

And of course, it definitely has good energy for an action pose.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,762
    edited December 1969

Gedd and Sasje, those are awesome poses. Thanks for putting them up for others to learn from.

edited December 1969

AydenShade, I agree with pretty much everything Jaderail said. The only other thing I can see is that the legs may need to be spread a bit more.

edited December 1969

And yes Ayden, I also think your work has shown real progress. I have really enjoyed this challenge as I think so many of us have really learned and grew though it, and hopefully had fun. And the best part is, it's not over ;)

Maybe we could do a texture one sometime.

edited December 1969

We will be doing a texture contest some time this year.